TWG CV: Christmas in the clink

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • FoJaR
    The Worst
    • Nov 2005
    • 2816

    #106
    Re: TWG CV: Christmas in the clink

    so i'm realizing that all the powers are just as good, so i'm removing the major/minor distinction.

    Comment

    • FoJaR
      The Worst
      • Nov 2005
      • 2816

      #107
      Re: TWG CV: Christmas in the clink

      it's all one big power pool ladies and germs.

      Comment

      • dAnceguy117
        new hand moves = dab
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Dec 2002
        • 10103

        #108
        Re: TWG CV: Christmas in the clink

        Originally posted by thesunfan
        figured this was a *~Mantiploy~* to gauge reactions
        hahaha I thought so too

        Comment

        • DarkManticoreX2
          TWG Overlord
          • Apr 2005
          • 7355

          #109
          Re: TWG CV: Christmas in the clink

          Na day 1 strats are usually legit. It's not quite as good now since Fojar removed the major/minor distinction.

          Anyway here's the idea: The main difficulty with this game is knowing when to trust/betray your teammate. If we can maximize the powers we get out of that scenario we stand a pretty good chance at winning.

          That being said how do we maximize powers? We don't know who's going to be paired with who and we can't talk to them once we do!

          We create a hierarchy. ex: the player list.

          1. V
          2. jrodd
          3. dAnceguy
          4. BDN
          5. KgZ
          6. Manti
          7. mellon
          8. TPS
          10. CHARU
          12. Riot
          13. lito
          14. rune
          15. Gradiant
          16. sunfan
          17. Tokzic
          18. YMIA
          19. Guest
          20. psychoangel

          The thought here is to plan for the future. It is my opinion when two players get paired up, they look at this list and whoever has the higher number betrays, while whoever has the lower number trusts. This guarentees powers get out into play. The more powers that get into play, the more likely it is for the humans to be successful, because as a whole we have more players and should win more of these battles then we loose.
          AAA's = 800

          Originally posted by V
          Manti, I apologize for insulting you. Let the record show that I am a prickass douche, and not only that, but that I am a terrible player.

          Comment

          • DarkManticoreX2
            TWG Overlord
            • Apr 2005
            • 7355

            #110
            Re: TWG CV: Christmas in the clink

            And obviously we flip the list the next day phase so if V was a wolf he wouldn't be guarenteed two powers.
            AAA's = 800

            Originally posted by V
            Manti, I apologize for insulting you. Let the record show that I am a prickass douche, and not only that, but that I am a terrible player.

            Comment

            • dAnceguy117
              new hand moves = dab
              FFR Simfile Author
              • Dec 2002
              • 10103

              #111
              Re: TWG CV: Christmas in the clink

              that's the game-ruining strat? more like "gives a slight edge maybe sort of"

              humans would get roughly 3/4 of the powers, sure, but who's to say those powers will be used effectively?

              what if some humans don't comply?

              why give a power to someone who looks really wolfy?




              I don't hate this idea but I'm not even so sure it's optimal

              Comment

              • DarkManticoreX2
                TWG Overlord
                • Apr 2005
                • 7355

                #112
                Re: TWG CV: Christmas in the clink

                Originally posted by dAnceguy117
                that's the game-ruining strat? more like "gives a slight edge maybe sort of"

                humans would get roughly 3/4 of the powers, sure, but who's to say those powers will be used effectively?



                what if some humans don't comply?

                why give a power to someone who looks really wolfy?




                I don't hate this idea but I'm not even so sure it's optimal
                I toned it down from ruin to "breaks the spirit of the game". Yes this isn't going to catch the wolves, but it should skew powers to the humans. Which in the end should result in the same thing.


                If humans don't comply, obviously it doesn't work. We can always tweak who gets the power though in one situation by saying something like we don't want sunfan to have a power because we think he's a wolf. whoever's partnered with him should betray him and he should trust.
                AAA's = 800

                Originally posted by V
                Manti, I apologize for insulting you. Let the record show that I am a prickass douche, and not only that, but that I am a terrible player.

                Comment

                • Vendetta21
                  Sectional Moderator
                  Sectional Moderator
                  • Aug 2006
                  • 2745

                  #113
                  Re: TWG CV: Christmas in the clink

                  the problem with game theory strategies is that as soon as someone reveals the strat it becomes highly gameable.

                  people need to take into account that there exists a collective action problem wherehumans need powers and therefore need to trust, but i think it ultimately comes down to a personal decision of "do i feel i can trust this person?"

                  trying to get into it much more than that will cause people to lose sight of the bigger picture

                  yes i understand the desire to alainbryden this situation but i garuntee any publicly stated strategy will be flawed.

                  Comment

                  • dAnceguy117
                    new hand moves = dab
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    • Dec 2002
                    • 10103

                    #114
                    Re: TWG CV: Christmas in the clink

                    Originally posted by DarkManticoreX2
                    We can always tweak who gets the power though in one situation by saying something like we don't want sunfan to have a power because we think he's a wolf. whoever's partnered with him should betray him and he should trust.
                    smart. I think I like this.

                    Originally posted by Vendetta21
                    trying to get into it much more than that will cause people to lose sight of the bigger picture

                    yes i understand the desire to alainbryden this situation but i garuntee any publicly stated strategy will be flawed.
                    I wanna say I get what you mean, but the strat is pretty simple. if anything I think it puts less focus on the dilemmas and more focus on normal-style day phases. it doesn't really seem game-able for a wolf team, because as long as the humans comply, there's no counter in terms of powers.




                    if this is gonna be a big deal let's decide "for or against" quickly please. too much discussion about this seems like a waste of time.

                    Comment

                    • Vendetta21
                      Sectional Moderator
                      Sectional Moderator
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 2745

                      #115
                      Re: TWG CV: Christmas in the clink

                      Originally posted by dAnceguy117
                      if this is gonna be a big deal let's decide "for or against" quickly please. too much discussion about this seems like a waste of time.
                      Yes to waste of time. And no to simple. I barely got through everything Manti said before I knew it was somehow gameable by wolves. I know the problem trying to be solved is complicated enough that one can make a pretty quick Bayesian inference that a publicly stated strategy will have a loophole of some sort, even if I can't find it immediately.

                      Comment

                      • Tps222
                        FFR Player
                        • Nov 2004
                        • 6169

                        #116
                        Re: TWG CV: Christmas in the clink

                        I was Jrodd's partner and I trusted him.

                        Comment

                        • Vendetta21
                          Sectional Moderator
                          Sectional Moderator
                          • Aug 2006
                          • 2745

                          #117
                          Re: TWG CV: Christmas in the clink

                          My point is the two classes of problems we deal with in this game are pretty complicated. And you have the problem of getting everyone to adhere. What if someone defects from the group strat on the basis that they don't trust the rankings provided by Manti because they don't trust Manti? I think idealist players have this vision that you can get the whole group to rally behind a strategy. You can't unless it literally ensures victory, I have so rarely seen it happen.

                          It seems much simpler to advise people to make a case-by-case trust call if they think their partner is human and then focusing on things that seem weird or out of place over time.

                          Comment

                          • mellonxcollie
                            Sectional Moderator
                            Sectional Moderator
                            • Dec 2006
                            • 1304

                            #118
                            Re: TWG CV: Christmas in the clink

                            I can see where both V and Manti are coming from. It does seem like we might need some sort of system, considering that almost no players got powers when we just trusted/betrayed at random. At the same time though, this plan does seem very open to wolf attack, and sticking to a strict list format might be a bad idea if we've got players who are obviously wolfy.
                            Follow my dog on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Riles_puppy

                            Comment

                            • Charu
                              Snivy! Dohoho!
                              FFR Simfile Author
                              • Mar 2006
                              • 6207

                              #119
                              Re: TWG CV: Christmas in the clink

                              I have to go with V on this. I think controlling the betray and trust aspect isn't going to be beneficial or as clear cut because of what V brought up. How do I know this list isn't made by a wolf wanting to lure the humans so that they would be giving powers to the wolf? How do I know that the person I'm paired up with will stick to the plan?


                              Originally posted by JohnRedWolf87
                              Charu the red-nosed Snivy
                              Had a very shiny nose
                              And if you ever saw it
                              You could even say it glows

                              All of the other Snivies
                              Used to laugh and call him names
                              They never let poor Charu
                              Join in any Snivy games

                              (Click the arrow to see the rest)


                              Originally posted by Vendetta21
                              All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.

                              Comment

                              • DarkManticoreX2
                                TWG Overlord
                                • Apr 2005
                                • 7355

                                #120
                                Re: TWG CV: Christmas in the clink

                                The whole point of the plan is for everyone to stick to it so we accumulate the most powers possible.

                                Originally posted by mellonxcollie
                                At the same time though, this plan does seem very open to wolf attack, and sticking to a strict list format might be a bad idea if we've got players who are obviously wolfy.
                                How is it open to wolf attack? You put a blanket statement over the idea without offering any counterpoints or areas to improve. Take the extra step and support your point so I can address issues with the plan and fix them (or say yeah this isn't going to work). You're just naysaying and it adds nothing to the conversation except saying hi.

                                like I already told dance, If we have a player we see as highly suspect we can designate them as a "forced truster" in whatever relationship they show up in. We can only do this once or twice per phase though because what happens if those two people show up in the same dialemma.

                                Originally posted by Charu
                                How do I know this list isn't made by a wolf wanting to lure the humans so that they would be giving powers to the wolf?
                                Because Fojar made that list.

                                Originally posted by Charu
                                How do I know that the person I'm paired up with will stick to the plan?
                                You don't, but if you're supposed to get a power and you don't get one, you report the shit out of your dialemma partner and we investigate.
                                AAA's = 800

                                Originally posted by V
                                Manti, I apologize for insulting you. Let the record show that I am a prickass douche, and not only that, but that I am a terrible player.

                                Comment

                                Working...