TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • FictionJunction
    FFR Player
    • Nov 2006
    • 3843

    #106
    Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

    Originally posted by FoJaR
    not really, what's the difference? they're both strategies that ruin the fun and the point of the game.
    I get it, man, nobody is saying you're wrong. I'm saying that 'keeping the game fun' or 'keeping the game from breaking' shouldn't be on the players because someone will do exactly what you don't want them to do. Controlling what players can do is hard if you need to rely on them to keep your game in check.

    That said, try it. I'm not playing because it's still 2013
    Originally posted by j-rodd123
    wow

    Comment

    • FoJaR
      The Worst
      • Nov 2005
      • 2816

      #107
      Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

      every game has to rely on players to stay unbroken to some extent.

      but i put specific rules in so that it would be even more discouraged. just like you're not supposed to talk outside of thread, you're not supposed to talk about strategy for the dilemma.

      honestly we should hurry and get a ranking system, one where we can punish game breaking.

      Comment

      • FoJaR
        The Worst
        • Nov 2005
        • 2816

        #108
        Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

        Originally posted by FictionJunction
        I get it, man, nobody is saying you're wrong. I'm saying that 'keeping the game fun' or 'keeping the game from breaking' shouldn't be on the players because someone will do exactly what you don't want them to do. Controlling what players can do is hard if you need to rely on them to keep your game in check.

        That said, try it. I'm not playing because it's still 2013
        yeah which is why i made a rule that anyone who tries to break the game (at least in that way) gets modkilled and auto loses.

        Comment

        • FoJaR
          The Worst
          • Nov 2005
          • 2816

          #109
          Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

          problem solved?

          Comment

          • FictionJunction
            FFR Player
            • Nov 2006
            • 3843

            #110
            Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

            is a death worth breaking the rules for? it can be. and then it'd leave a sour taste in everyone's mouth. I'd do it because you're not banning the action, you're just punishing it. It becomes a trade.
            Originally posted by j-rodd123
            wow

            Comment

            • FoJaR
              The Worst
              • Nov 2005
              • 2816

              #111
              Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

              it's not just a death, it's death and instant loss.

              Comment

              • FictionJunction
                FFR Player
                • Nov 2006
                • 3843

                #112
                Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

                I think 'don't be a jackass' rules are better than just killing someone for breaking rules.

                Try the game. At this point we've discussed it enough to know it's a big deal.
                Originally posted by j-rodd123
                wow

                Comment

                • FoJaR
                  The Worst
                  • Nov 2005
                  • 2816

                  #113
                  Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

                  and a ban from any game i ever host

                  Comment

                  • FoJaR
                    The Worst
                    • Nov 2005
                    • 2816

                    #114
                    Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

                    yeah dont be a jackass worked for everyone but afrobean

                    Comment

                    • Tps222
                      FFR Player
                      • Nov 2004
                      • 6169

                      #115
                      Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

                      Nah I'm on Afro and Fiction's side. It's the host's job to make sure the game isn't break-able, not the players. If we find a way to win that isn't directly against the main set of established rules for all games, we should pursue it.

                      If Afro's post is something that would be considered taboo in the game, then I don't know what you expect us to post about.

                      Comment

                      • FictionJunction
                        FFR Player
                        • Nov 2006
                        • 3843

                        #116
                        Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

                        yeah but fouling is very physical, not talking about some things is very hard to do in a game that expects you to do just that. When you set those sort of parameters you also affect how people think. You might have someone who writes something contrived because they have to work around something that, had it not been banned, would have communicated an idea better. That is frustrating because I am being controlled and that, I think, is against the spirit of TWG although it is in the spirit of this specific game.

                        TWG is like poker where revealing your cards to be a jackass would ruin someone else's bluff - but it seems that in this game revealing your cards would ruin the game. And that's just not great design afaic
                        Last edited by FictionJunction; 12-12-2013, 10:08 AM.
                        Originally posted by j-rodd123
                        wow

                        Comment

                        • cedolad
                          moonchild~
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          • Jan 2007
                          • 6879

                          #117
                          Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

                          out

                          Comment

                          • mellonxcollie
                            Sectional Moderator
                            Sectional Moderator
                            • Dec 2006
                            • 1303

                            #118
                            Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

                            Originally posted by FictionJunction
                            yeah but fouling is very physical, not talking about some things is very hard to do in a game that expects you to do just that. When you set those sort of parameters you also affect how people think. You might have someone who writes something contrived because they have to work around something that, had it not been banned, would have communicated an idea better. That is frustrating because I am being controlled and that, I think, is against the spirit of TWG although it is in the spirit of this specific game.

                            TWG is like poker where revealing your cards to be a jackass would ruin someone else's bluff - but it seems that in this game revealing your cards would ruin the game. And that's just not great design afaic
                            I completely agree with this post. I think Afro's post was fair (even though it was written in the most infuriatingly-Afrobean style possible). Not being allowed to talk about meta is an interesting mechanic for sure, but it's also insanely limiting and I'm guessing it will be pretty difficult for players to communicate their ideas correctly without it.

                            I think this game will be good either way don't get me wrong. But I think if meta discussion were allowed we could have a CRAZY high activity game, I think limiting the amount of topics people can post about with also limit the number of posts.
                            Follow my dog on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Riles_puppy

                            Comment

                            • FoJaR
                              The Worst
                              • Nov 2005
                              • 2816

                              #119
                              Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

                              Originally posted by Tps222
                              Nah I'm on Afro and Fiction's side. It's the host's job to make sure the game isn't break-able, not the players. If we find a way to win that isn't directly against the main set of established rules for all games, we should pursue it.

                              If Afro's post is something that would be considered taboo in the game, then I don't know what you expect us to post about.
                              by the old rules what afro did would have made it so that he couldnt post in thread, couldnt participate in the dilemma and put his vote on himself. for the rest of the game. before the game even started.

                              you just play the game like you would any other TWG without trying to reduce the game to a set of moves that when done will assure victory. finding the set of moves that wins the game is not what TWG is about. EVERYONE DO THIS AND HUMANS WIN is not fun.

                              Comment

                              • mellonxcollie
                                Sectional Moderator
                                Sectional Moderator
                                • Dec 2006
                                • 1303

                                #120
                                Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

                                Also Foj I think TWG signups threads are one of the few places where Afrobean being nitpicky as hell actually makes sense as he's generating discussion and potentially finding flaws/etc in the game. just saying.
                                Follow my dog on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Riles_puppy

                                Comment

                                Working...