TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Afrobean
    Admiral in the Red Army
    • Dec 2003
    • 13262

    #76
    Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

    huh i dont understand whats this talk of cutoffs in the first post do i need to cut the legs off my jeans???

    but seriously can i say "in" right now or what i really dont get it

    ps whatever happened to ANNOUNCING signups first before opening them so that people could plan on getting on at the right time to sign up

    Comment

    • Tokzic
      FFR Player
      • May 2005
      • 6878

      #77
      Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

      also i have to say that i think it's kind of ridiculous to have a meta-able game design and then being told explicitly that meta isn't allowed

      Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what

      Comment

      • Afrobean
        Admiral in the Red Army
        • Dec 2003
        • 13262

        #78
        Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

        Originally posted by FoJaR
        Anyone talking about meta AT ALL
        What if I hint at meta? What if I meta about meta? What if I get meta about metaing meta?

        You will be in the hole for two days if you discuss past meta, or permanently if you discuss future meta.
        What if I hypothetically discuss present meta? What if I can do it without you noticing? What if I develop an elaborate code and distribute the code right now to everyone but you?

        What if I offer up meta strategies before the game even begins? What if someone who is not even playing offers up meta strategies right now? What if I link to prisoner's-dilemma-related resources in the game thread? What if said resources contain strategies for teaming up to overcome the dilemma? What if I simply say "use Google to research prisoner's dilemma" to encourage players to find said links to strategies?

        (discussion of past dilemmas is allowed).
        This appears to contradict what you just said. Do you mean that we each individually can say what we did, but we can't ask what other people did?

        And what if I decide to offer myself up to the gods; what if I decide that I'll just make a great big huge post detailing all of the best stratagems I can muster and hope that my meta play will help my team enough that it'll be WORTH it to be "in the hole" for the rest of the game? And what good is putting my vote to myself while I'm in the hole, since it seems that it's probably not a good idea to lynch someone who is in the hole, as that is nominally not a good place for a wolf to be and wolves would likely avoid it. Humans would be more likely to end up there, I'd say, since they're the ones who actually want to help. I suppose a wolf who is feigning helpfulness could as well, but that's secondary.

        What if during day 1, WE ALL DISCUSS FUTURE META and get ourselves all thrown in the hole for the rest of the game? Does me asking this count as discussing future meta? Before the game has even started? Because in reality, I'm just being meta about meta.

        If you talk about a day power in thread during the day that it is active, you lose your power.
        What if I hint at it? What if I use a code? What if you think I'm using a code and I'm not really? What if I say I have a specific power publicly, but I don't ACTUALLY have a power at all? What if I say I have a power, but I say I have a different power than my real power?

        Comment

        • Afrobean
          Admiral in the Red Army
          • Dec 2003
          • 13262

          #79
          Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink



          Have you guys seen this before? Someone posted it at ffya a while back, I think. It's a game show that features an example of the "Prisoner's Dilemma" (seriously, do some reading, even if you're familiar with the concept). One of the guys says right off the bat that he is choosing to "steal". This gives the first man all of the power. Thus, the other person can only either ensure that neither gets ANYTHING or that one person gets it all (and trust that he'll share afterward). This puts the second player in a situation where he's choosing between NOTHING or MAYBE a fair split. Ultimately, it was a trick and the first man who said he would pick "steal" actually picked "split". It was a gambit to get the other man to choose split since he figured that the only outcome that had ANY chance of coming out for him was to trust the first man.

          This game is a little different though. There is no way we could share winnings. But humans are all on the same team. So if there were a person who was going to choose "betray", that person would similarly have all of the power over the person who might be paired with them. The difference is that since both of the players are ACTUALLY on a team together, it is in the TEAM'S best interest to NEVER choose steal when paired with this person. The exception would be if the first person were a red and the second were a green, but in that case, the green has no way of knowing that he's been paired with a red anyway. Choosing to betray this person on a hunch would most likely do a disservice to your own team. In fact, I'd even go as far as saying that anyone who would choose betray against this sort of person is a red themselves. They're the only ones who would stand to gain by blocking this sort of person from their gambit.

          Comment

          • FoJaR
            The Worst
            • Nov 2005
            • 2816

            #80
            Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

            Originally posted by Afrobean
            What if I hint at meta? What if I meta about meta? What if I get meta about metaing meta?


            What if I hypothetically discuss present meta? What if I can do it without you noticing? What if I develop an elaborate code and distribute the code right now to everyone but you?

            What if I offer up meta strategies before the game even begins? What if someone who is not even playing offers up meta strategies right now? What if I link to prisoner's-dilemma-related resources in the game thread? What if said resources contain strategies for teaming up to overcome the dilemma? What if I simply say "use Google to research prisoner's dilemma" to encourage players to find said links to strategies?


            This appears to contradict what you just said. Do you mean that we each individually can say what we did, but we can't ask what other people did?

            And what if I decide to offer myself up to the gods; what if I decide that I'll just make a great big huge post detailing all of the best stratagems I can muster and hope that my meta play will help my team enough that it'll be WORTH it to be "in the hole" for the rest of the game? And what good is putting my vote to myself while I'm in the hole, since it seems that it's probably not a good idea to lynch someone who is in the hole, as that is nominally not a good place for a wolf to be and wolves would likely avoid it. Humans would be more likely to end up there, I'd say, since they're the ones who actually want to help. I suppose a wolf who is feigning helpfulness could as well, but that's secondary.

            What if during day 1, WE ALL DISCUSS FUTURE META and get ourselves all thrown in the hole for the rest of the game? Does me asking this count as discussing future meta? Before the game has even started? Because in reality, I'm just being meta about meta.


            What if I hint at it? What if I use a code? What if you think I'm using a code and I'm not really? What if I say I have a specific power publicly, but I don't ACTUALLY have a power at all? What if I say I have a power, but I say I have a different power than my real power?
            i guess the idea is that it's a stupid thing to do, it defeats the purpose of the game, it's not in the spirit of the game and i guess i should just say that if you attempt to break the game, you will be instakilled and will lose no matter which team wins.

            Comment

            • FoJaR
              The Worst
              • Nov 2005
              • 2816

              #81
              Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

              alright fuck you afro.

              Comment

              • FoJaR
                The Worst
                • Nov 2005
                • 2816

                #82
                Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

                someone delete his posts

                Comment

                • FoJaR
                  The Worst
                  • Nov 2005
                  • 2816

                  #83
                  Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

                  ban him from life that stupid fucker

                  Comment

                  • FoJaR
                    The Worst
                    • Nov 2005
                    • 2816

                    #84
                    Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

                    afro banned from any game i ever host from here on out ever.

                    Comment

                    • FoJaR
                      The Worst
                      • Nov 2005
                      • 2816

                      #85
                      Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

                      seriously you are a huge dick

                      Comment

                      • FictionJunction
                        FFR Player
                        • Nov 2006
                        • 3843

                        #86
                        Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

                        you can't really control what people talk about, though.
                        Originally posted by j-rodd123
                        wow

                        Comment

                        • FoJaR
                          The Worst
                          • Nov 2005
                          • 2816

                          #87
                          Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

                          yeah, and you cant really control people talking outside of thread when it's in thread only.

                          doesnt mean it isnt a huge dick move

                          Comment

                          • FoJaR
                            The Worst
                            • Nov 2005
                            • 2816

                            #88
                            Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

                            the point of TWG is not "how much can i break this game" it's how can i play inside the game and still win.

                            Comment

                            • FictionJunction
                              FFR Player
                              • Nov 2006
                              • 3843

                              #89
                              Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

                              well, yeah, but once you're in it it's about just winning. Nothing stopped players last game from manipulating vote mechanics to find a vote manipulator role - kind of cheap, breaks the spirit of the game. But at least it wasn't censorship. Controlling that sort of thing is hard.
                              Originally posted by j-rodd123
                              wow

                              Comment

                              • FoJaR
                                The Worst
                                • Nov 2005
                                • 2816

                                #90
                                Re: TWG CV SIGNUPS: Christmas in the Clink

                                it's not censorship man, it's like you said, the spirit of the game.

                                if there are people who cant win the game without trying to break it they shouldnt play in the first place.

                                broken games are no fun, who wants to play a game where the winner is pre-determined and everything is reduced to following a prescribed plan where one team is guaranteed victory and the other is guaranteed defeat? where's the fun in that?

                                Comment

                                Working...