FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • psychoangel691
    Retired Staff
    FFR Simfile Author
    • Dec 2004
    • 10438

    #106
    Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

    Originally posted by tofurox
    Difficulty means a lot when songs are picked for tournaments.
    And regardless of the number put on those songs they're exactly what I wanted. I wanted it to be a borderline 9/10 for D4 and a borderline 10/11 for D5, if it weren't the 1st round would be a straight up AAA fest. The only thing is (this was mentioned) is the 2nd round to D4 might feel easier to certain players than Fall Silently did. Depends what the player is good at. It also doesn't help that I had to move my orig round 2 song out of D4 to D3 to help smooth out transitions in that division. -_-
    Originally posted by Charu
    My dick is good, thank you very much. It gets love and attention no matter what <3 <3 <3
    Originally posted by DaBackpack
    also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
    Originally posted by Shadow_God_10
    Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

    Originally posted by hi19hi19
    yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl

    Comment

    • Wineandbread
      Custom User Title
      • Oct 2007
      • 2105

      #107
      Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

      Originally posted by FontSize72LOL
      True, but the difficulty of the song sets the standard as each song in each subsequent round should be harder. Its entirely possible that Fall Silently might be harder to AAA than whatever the 2nd Round Song ends up being.

      Difficulty is also very relative as different people are better at different things. What might be easy for you and me can be horrible for someone else. Personally, my bane are songs like Club and Aim Anthem or long 1 handed trills of Max Forever. So i understand that there will be songs that people will think that are 9's, 10's, or 11's when they might be actually 8's - 12's.
      You're right on both accounts.

      I never denied that difficulty was relative to the player. But the fact of the matter is they have to assign a concrete number to their files to give a rough impression of the file. In a perfect world we would have a difficulty system that somehow gave us every tidbit of information regarding the difficulty of the song, but that would be unnecessary and overbearing for the average player.

      Some people might believe that 13 numbers are just not enough to cover the spectrum of difficulties, but there is going to be disputes no matter how specific a number system is going to get. If we had 20 numbers, arguments would eventually arise between 9s and 10s, 14s and 15s. It is an imperfect system and is designed that way to simplify difficulty to the eyes of a player.

      I'm not saying that the numbering can't be improved; I'm just saying that it's' here to stay, and people won't stop discussing it. You mentioned AAA difficulty factor, but what exactly does the number really mean when it comes to difficulty? Personally I don't think it's the ability to AAA the song, nor how hard it is to FC the song (lulz ffr mashing); it's something in between. But the raters could be thinking about it in some other way than both of us.

      As for judging the difficulties between rounds, I hadn't really considered this until you brought it up. I guess I assumed that they would have planned the order of songs beforehand.
      Originally posted by Gundam-Dude
      my semen is flying through the air as we speak
      We climb up a lot of ladders, and fall down a lot of chutes.

      Taking "all" oddjobs! PM me requests. Requests filled: 2 last active Mar. 6th, 2017


      Keep it real pls. Will deny requests I cannot manage.


      Comment

      • psychoangel691
        Retired Staff
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Dec 2004
        • 10438

        #108
        Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

        bballa, I moved your post to the other thread because I felt it was better suited there than in the thread for discussing the actual songs themselves.
        Originally posted by Charu
        My dick is good, thank you very much. It gets love and attention no matter what <3 <3 <3
        Originally posted by DaBackpack
        also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
        Originally posted by Shadow_God_10
        Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

        Originally posted by hi19hi19
        yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl

        Comment

        • bballa48
          FFR Veteran
          • Jan 2007
          • 1496

          #109
          Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

          Whoops, sorry that post was in the wrong thread. My bad.


          I guess I will just comment on Ambient Angels.... it is awesome. That is all
          "Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane!"
          Learn to run when feeling the pain: then push harder.

          Comment

          • rushyrulz
            Digital Dancing!
            FFR Simfile Author
            FFR Music Producer
            • Feb 2006
            • 12985

            #110
            Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

            Fall Silently is a low 10. That is all. Stepped very well, but it feels like a 10 without a doubt in my mind.


            Comment

            • XxMidigamixX
              FFR Player
              • Nov 2010
              • 2040

              #111
              Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

              Originally posted by psychoangel691
              And regardless of the number put on those songs they're exactly what I wanted. I wanted it to be a borderline 9/10 for D4 and a borderline 10/11 for D5, if it weren't the 1st round would be a straight up AAA fest. The only thing is (this was mentioned) is the 2nd round to D4 might feel easier to certain players than Fall Silently did. Depends what the player is good at. It also doesn't help that I had to move my orig round 2 song out of D4 to D3 to help smooth out transitions in that division. -_-
              Better not be a Dossar file...
              Click to join!





              Comment

              • Hateandhatred
                "The Quebec Steparatist."
                FFR Simfile Author
                • Feb 2011
                • 1974

                #112
                Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

                Alright so

                1: Tightrope City.
                It's pretty epic. Despite the low difficulty, the song is amazing and kinda relaxing. It's fun to play. Wtf with the title though?

                2: Keep On Driving.
                "IT ****ING SUCKS OMG!" - is what I first thought on my first playthrough (boo'ed out of it after lag), but it's not so bad. It's kinda boring and I don't really like the song, but it's just... Average. Yeah. Stepped pretty well, though, but it's not a very "FFR" song to me.

                3: Glorious Morning.
                Ichliebekase stepped this? Girl, if you read this, step some more! It's an excellent stepfile, and I have a lot of fun playing it! Also, epic song choice! I'll probably keep playing it after the tournament as it is one of my favorite 8s already! ^^

                4: Fall Silently.
                Guess you always get that plastic feeling from Dossar's files (with the exception of "Kidney Stone"), in which you can't, but CAN'T get into the game. It kinda pulls you out of it. I dunno how you do that man, but I'm not sure if it's cool. Anyway, at least to my opinion, it's a better song choice than "Keep on Driving". I don't personnally like half of the file: The first one. Patterns grew on me in a bad way, which is why I had a hard time FC'ing gym leader theme. It also reminds me of the assness of MAX Forever. The second half, with the quick jumps, is fun and greatly put, even though it's frustrating. I can see why only 1 D4'er got an AAA on that.

                5:Ambient Angels.
                Great stepfile and great song! Nothing negative to say about it! It's pretty awesome! A bit hard for a 10 then, even a huge one. I personnally consider Vertex to be the Final Boss of the VC levels, and this is a huge step over it, as well as much harder than many many FMOs. This, at least to my noob ass experience, is a high quality mid level FMO.

                6: The Rapids.
                The best stepfile of the lot, it goes in an epic way. A bit too hard for me, but I know that if I was a tad better, this would be my warm up run instead of Necropotence (don't ask me why I think Necropotence is easier than this, I don't know wtf why). I even found myself headbanging and "dancing" through every single runs of that song. Great job zierg! It's not that good of a song, like I wouldn't put this on my ipod, but you made it infinitely awesome to play. I'm pretty sure no D6'er will complain with this. Also, it kinda requires a mastery of every single arrow mashing skill, which makes this submission a perfect level choice for a tournament like this! Also, it's weird that it's only VERY SLIGHTLY harder than Ambient Angels...

                Alright, these were my noob ass D2'er thoughts. But I guess they count too, since other noobs will get to play these! ^^
                Forgot where I put my old sig lol

                Comment

                • FontSize72LOL
                  ☆~{2D <3}~☆
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 833

                  #113
                  Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

                  Originally posted by Wineandbread
                  You're right on both accounts.

                  I never denied that difficulty was relative to the player. But the fact of the matter is they have to assign a concrete number to their files to give a rough impression of the file. In a perfect world we would have a difficulty system that somehow gave us every tidbit of information regarding the difficulty of the song, but that would be unnecessary and overbearing for the average player.

                  Some people might believe that 13 numbers are just not enough to cover the spectrum of difficulties, but there is going to be disputes no matter how specific a number system is going to get. If we had 20 numbers, arguments would eventually arise between 9s and 10s, 14s and 15s. It is an imperfect system and is designed that way to simplify difficulty to the eyes of a player.

                  I'm not saying that the numbering can't be improved; I'm just saying that it's' here to stay, and people won't stop discussing it. You mentioned AAA difficulty factor, but what exactly does the number really mean when it comes to difficulty? Personally I don't think it's the ability to AAA the song, nor how hard it is to FC the song (lulz ffr mashing); it's something in between. But the raters could be thinking about it in some other way than both of us.

                  As for judging the difficulties between rounds, I hadn't really considered this until you brought it up. I guess I assumed that they would have planned the order of songs beforehand.
                  Yeah, and i understand that. There really is no way to appease everyone in terms of choosing difficulties on songs. Honestly i could care less that its a 9 myself but i'm just saying that i can see why people are saying that it might be a 10 because its a pretty akward file (again not bad, just akward). I wont go any further than this on the topic of difficulties in this thread



                  Get Kancho'd


                  Comment

                  • kmay
                    Don't forget me
                    • Jan 2007
                    • 6532

                    #114
                    Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

                    its not an easy 10 by any means, JS is a hard pattern for a lot of players, and thats some fast JS.

                    Comment

                    • Arbliterator
                      FFR Veteran
                      • Oct 2011
                      • 780

                      #115
                      Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

                      Ugh huge dislike on D4's song, it's a 9 and yet I can barely play it? Feels more like mid-10 at least. D1 & D3 had nice songs, haven't bothered trying the higher ones.

                      Comment

                      • x_lambourghini_x
                        Nope. Chuck Testa.
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 288

                        #116
                        Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

                        I've played all of them and they are really fun. One thing I would personally say about difficulties is Fall Silently is a really low 10.
                        Everyday I'm shufflin'


                        New tournament hopefully coming up in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned for more details.

                        Comment

                        • dragonmegaXX
                          ITG playing fur
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 3661

                          #117
                          Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

                          I'm a little late but here's my opinion on the D4 song:

                          It's a mid-10 without a doubt.
                          I think the song is great, and while I dislike some of the patterns, I think overall it's well done and enjoyable to play. This is considering I usually hate playing songs over and over and Ive sat here for almost an hour playing Fall Silently.

                          EDIT: Just played Ambient Angels and my reaction was actual LOL'ing while I was playing at the immense dumpstream at the end... It was fun though
                          Last edited by dragonmegaXX; 11-16-2011, 08:39 PM.

                          Comment

                          • Sweagen
                            FFR Veteran
                            • Jun 2008
                            • 333

                            #118
                            Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

                            omg Kayla AAA'd e___e

                            Comment

                            • Sweet_Feet
                              Washed Up
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 1934

                              #119
                              Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

                              Fall Silently is not a 10, enough.

                              Comment

                              • stavie33
                                FFR Player
                                • Aug 2006
                                • 1925

                                #120
                                Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

                                Glad to see everyone is complaining about the same things. Other than Falling the charts are terrific, but Falling is not a 9, it's a low 10 IMO, or a very, very high 9, and I feel Ambient is wayyy too dense for a 10, that songs absurd. You really started this tourney of brutally guys, these songs are really hard 1st rounders.

                                Also, about difficulty ratings. Recently tons of files have been placed in the game with blatantly obvious misratings, as every week, we have nearly one or two songs either changing difficulty or heavily debated. However, this isn't really anything new. Once we fixed the difficulties in the revamp after avmisses, that's the golden era of difficulty ratings, as everything was moved and felt fine with their placements. Then the skill boost era came, this is when songs like Rose got shot down to a 9 and the mega 12's starting showing up, then we had the headache of the upper VC's that splurted into the game very close to eachother (BRWP, Twelve, Feldschlatt, Keep in Mind, Hero's Theme, etc. were all released close to eachother). The debates raged on and calmed down. Really, there will never be correct placements, but the tendency for borderline files has been on the rise lately and led to debates that are well, undeterminable. Difficulty spikes matter, and make things very confusing. I wouldn't be hating on people, but when you get input from 50+ members complaining, take note of it, and you should probably change the difficulty. I also think there are some pros that are so good they think that really high files are easy all over, at least for them. I am guilty of this too. I think we should just take the input of the players whose skill level that file targets. So if there are 40+ players who have 60% of the VC's AAA'd and the rest SDG'd or BF'd, and a few FMO's, and they all unanimously agree that there is a new VC that is nearly un FC'able in comparison, something is up.
                                Last edited by stavie33; 11-16-2011, 09:30 PM.
                                It's getting better all the time
                                I used to get mad at my school (No, I can't complain)
                                The teachers who taught me weren't cool (No, I can't complain)
                                You're holding me down (Oh Oh)
                                Turning me round (Oh Oh)
                                Filling me up with your rules (Oooh)

                                Comment

                                Working...