FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • YoshL
    Celestial Harbor
    FFR Simfile Author
    FFR Music Producer
    • Aug 2008
    • 6156

    #76
    Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

    anyways. i took a replay and did some screenshoting.

    so now i can nail that transition into the jumptrill 100% of the time. i just need to nail the ending to fix blackflag


    Originally posted by Charu
    Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.

    Comment

    • psychoangel691
      Retired Staff
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Dec 2004
      • 10438

      #77
      Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

      Originally posted by One Winged Angel
      Obviously the extremity of the difficulty spike itself is going to factor how much weight in 'added difficulty' the file will receive. Songs have been rated this way the entire time, nothing's changed.

      edit: lul my post totally contradicts Kayla's but idgaf <|:o)

      Then again, I wasn't taking into account the revamp the difficulty system received after avmisses were fixed, but everyone knew about that
      Lol <3 I think people forget the avemiss days or weren't around for it. I've been for going to a rating system with 100 difficulties and volunteered to go through all the songs too, you know that. But unless someone is going to add it to the engine and such it's a waste of time.
      Originally posted by Charu
      My dick is good, thank you very much. It gets love and attention no matter what <3 <3 <3
      Originally posted by DaBackpack
      also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
      Originally posted by Shadow_God_10
      Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

      Originally posted by hi19hi19
      yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl

      Comment

      • MaxGhost
        FFR Veteran
        • Feb 2008
        • 2141

        #78
        Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

        I never talked about stuff pre-avmiss. Hell, I wasn't even active at all back then. My point is you're trying to rank files on a system that isn't already applied among all the files in the game yet, which makes new song ranking screwey when compared to what's already there.

        Comment

        • psychoangel691
          Retired Staff
          FFR Simfile Author
          • Dec 2004
          • 10438

          #79
          Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

          Originally posted by MaxGhost
          I never talked about stuff pre-avmiss. Hell, I wasn't even active at all back then. My point is you're trying to rank files on a system that isn't already applied among all the files in the game yet, which makes new song ranking screwey when compared to what's already there.
          Originally posted by psychoangel691
          Some Comparable 9's to Fall Silently

          Automata (kinda subjective on this one though because I struggle with it)
          Can Can (Piano Version)
          Chaoz Japan
          Fei Longer
          Gym Leader
          Into the night
          Ivaltek
          Legendary Etude
          Otter's Dance
          Over the Frail Dream
          Rondo Alla Turca
          Scavenger
          Shapeshifter
          Sunny Side Up
          The Games We Played 4/5
          Uber Rave
          {Roze}


          Some of these are harder than Fall Silently imo

          ^^

          I don't know where you keep coming up with this "system" that's not used etc. But the fact is these files are comparable to Fall Silently. That's a decent sized list and has stuff that was rated ages ago. In other words I used files that are in game already to compare as well.
          Originally posted by Charu
          My dick is good, thank you very much. It gets love and attention no matter what <3 <3 <3
          Originally posted by DaBackpack
          also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
          Originally posted by Shadow_God_10
          Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

          Originally posted by hi19hi19
          yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl

          Comment

          • krunkykai22
            &lt;3 Jumpstream &lt;3
            FFR Simfile Author
            • Jan 2006
            • 5436

            #80
            Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

            Well, time to put a bit of my info in here.

            Responding here from the other tournament thread in response to Zierg:

            I cannot and I repeat cannot complain about The Rapids. I immediately AAA'd the file not because it was easy, but because the flow of the chart was incredible. I may not like trills or weird transitions, but you really did a damn good job on this file. I'm happy to play it over and over because the song is awesome as well as the chart, regardless of my spiff in the other tournament thread, I've still continued to play the song 24 more times (Yes AJ, you were right, with help from OWA and Velo (who i spoke to on AIM)) I've just been playing it over and over and have come up with a BF so far.

            As for the "off topic" discussion of files, guys take it to the ingame song information thread if you have opinions or suggestions about the files difficulty ratings. Simply put, it just opens a wide variety of unanswered questioning that will not get discussed, I believe, until well after the tournament is over.

            But, with that being said, I'm kind of getting tired of hearing that FFR's difficulty system is shit. What we DO need is an indefinite system of what exactly depicts a difficulty 1 to a difficulty 13. I've said it so many times, for example:

            Cut off rank for an FGO = Tageri. That is the perfect song to distinguish from songs like He's a Rad Rat and 4 Chord Touhou to the next highest difficulty. And from a 10 to an 11 Going on Spring wind is imo a good 10 cut off with EHHS or Choprite being the beginning of 11's. So there you go. But, a system with 100 difficulty is maybe pushing it and plus, FFR is original, DF you have your system as well as KBO has theirs and TS. FFR is distinctly it's own scale. I wouldn't break it unless a community vote was assessed.

            Anyway, the songs are great for Round 1, I believe it was a good start to the tournament in ways it's a foreshadowing of what's to come. Good job on the stepping guys.



            EDIT: Just played Ambient Angels and OMG amazing chart. And I saw someone posting saying it should be higher in difficulty and I couldnt disagree more. I find this file to be EXTREMELY good in its rating and a damn well ranked song. I sightread AAA'd it which means nothing, but in comparison to The Rapids which is a decent mid FMO, it doesn't come close. Nor to even EHHS for that matter. I find Vertex Beta normal harder then Ambient.
            Last edited by krunkykai22; 11-16-2011, 01:20 AM.

            Comment

            • Emithith
              FFR Player
              • Sep 2008
              • 1784

              #81
              Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

              krunky, by your logic Novo Mundo is like 10.75 and it's considered a 11. It's easier than EHHS and Choprite. Just sayin'.

              Also, I'll go nab that AAA Fall Silently after a 24hr hand resting period. Whoring FGOs seems to wreck my PA/Speed. lol Dossar your file is fun. The 32nd jumps were fun, even though they caught me off guard (guard was down due to Challenging/9 difficulty. D: ) It's so borderline VC though, that it's scary. :P

              I also liked that FMO Rapids or what not. It's probably the first decently rated FMO in a while. Just hard enough, but not an FGO.

              Comment

              • hi19hi19
                lol happy
                FFR Simfile Author
                • Oct 2005
                • 12194

                #82
                Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

                Originally posted by TC_Halogen
                Also note that the difficulty increase caused by the stream increases the song difficulty based on how ridiculous it is. See: CP running at around 7/8 TPS until the 64th bursts/64th trills, which are 33.3333 T/s - THAT is an incredibly uncalled for spike, in comparison to something like RunnyMorning, which runs around 9 TPS and increases to roughly 17/18 TPS during the jump-jack/trill combination for only around a second and a half - that's a smaller spike considering that 17/18 TPS is caused by switching to nothing but jumps.
                Gotta stop thinking in terms of TPS and start thinking in terms of what the players actually have to do to hit it.
                Consider it this way: Adding 100 zero framer jacks to Secret Zombie Room would change its TPS from 4 to 5, but would make it undeniably FGO in difficulty to AAA. TPS is one tool to investigate difficulty, but it's not the only one.
                Similar to the Secret Zombie Room example, the minijacks at the end of the file require a lot of precision in those small sections. The fact it's "not dense" anywhere else means little considering the difficulty of the jack patterns themselves.

                Originally posted by TC_Halogen
                The [14][32] jumps are 12 note trills on both hands a piece, which is relatively short. Coordinate your hands properly and this won't be a problem.
                I'm sorry but I laughed at this IRL: "Yeah man just make your hands hit all the keys at the right time and you'll AAA it!" Wow, I never would have guessed that.
                Also it's wrong- it's not a 12 note trill on each hand, it's a 10 note trill followed by two fast grace notes followed by a minijack- that's QUITE a bit different from a simple jumptrill.

                Originally posted by TC_Halogen
                - repeating jumpstream triplets at 146 BPM - from a person who doesn't have any issues in patterns at this particular speed, it's nothing but repeating patterns over and over again. Work on your timing and be sure that you can hit this rhythm consistently, it's not that difficult.
                I still think repeating pattern triplets are just as hard if not harder than if it was actually a full stream. Another case of lower TPS not necessarily being easier.
                This is honestly not too big a deal, as I think the above two sections make it 10-worthy regardless of the rest of the file, but in any case it's worth mentioning.


                Whatever. If this is going to stay a 9, all I ask is that the community get around to re-evaluating the difficulty system as a whole rather soon- if that's not going to happen, put this as a 10 where it belongs as compared to the rest of the files in the game (hi ABCDEath) then move it back to a 9 when the difficulties are actually updated. No sense in using a new system without the intention of applying it to every song.
                drama \o/


                Comment

                • krunkykai22
                  &lt;3 Jumpstream &lt;3
                  FFR Simfile Author
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 5436

                  #83
                  Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

                  Honestly, Novo Mundo I find to be equal to EHHS. Simply because right after the slow part in the middle section the entire file progresses into a decent speed jumpstream with 32nds there plus the ending roll. It's hard to jumptrill because of the speed of the rolls and hitting them is difficult as well. The entire ending of that chart is decently hard. Of course it is personal perspective, and that's my take on it.

                  Choprite, the only hard part of that file is the weird shit around 1400 and the length of the chart, otherwise, it's another Southern Cross that needs to be downgraded to a high 10 if need be. Novo I find harder then Choprite >.>

                  EDIT: Rather, let me reword that, Novo = Choprite ... EHHS = easy for me because i love jumpstream and its BPM isn't too bad. Though yes EHHS is the hardest of the three, it doesn't compare to higher FMO's at all. EHHS is a good low FMO and the cut off, imo as the lowest FMO should be Choprite followed by novo
                  Last edited by krunkykai22; 11-16-2011, 02:04 AM.

                  Comment

                  • hi19hi19
                    lol happy
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 12194

                    #84
                    Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

                    I just played the D5 file and WOW, those are some of the best-flowing jumpstreams I've played in a while. Really fun file, just like the D6 file, they both flow so well and have excellent energy to them. Great work!

                    Chiming in on the (endless) difficulty rating debate: I have no problem with this being a VC- even though it's similar to EHHS, the patterns are so friendly and flow excellently.
                    I actually AAA'd the dense jumpstream at the end on my third try, so I don't think it's too hard.




                    tbh it took me fewer tries to get 5 clean on this than it did the D4 song, I'd even argue they are about the same difficulty lol

                    Gonna play the D1-D3 files at some point too, so far I've been impressed with the 3 I've seen


                    EDIT-
                    tightrope city... Not much to say about it. Good beginner file- didn't overlayer or stray too far from the basic beat, and in general felt appropriate. Interesting choice of music, I really like it. Overall, solid.
                    Keep On Driving... The rhythms were very interesting. Obviously not perfectly synced but it was definitely close enough. The odd purple or orange arrow kinda threw me off (2 clean sightread) and the random all-white roll was kinda strange too. Honestly, it's not the best file in the world but I have no real complaints. I know how hard getting the balance between "readable colors" and "well synced" can be when it comes to rapped lyrics, and this did a good job.
                    Glorious Morning... I already reviewed this once for ichliebekase and my comments from then still stand. It's definitely not the way I would have stepped it, there's some un-stepped drumrolls near the start that I find strange to see ignored, and I still feel it could use a little more layering outside the rolls to even out the difficulty curve somewhat. With all that said- it's definitely fun, and there's nothing too technically wrong with it. I'm especially fond of the music, I really like Celtic stuff and I'm happy to see more music in this style being added to FFR
                    Last edited by hi19hi19; 11-16-2011, 02:57 AM.


                    Comment

                    • remedy1502
                      remederpin
                      • Feb 2007
                      • 4885

                      #85
                      Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

                      I find Ambient Angels harder than The Rapids.
                      I'm probably just really REALLY bad at jumpstream though. Afterall, lol Kidney Stone.

                      I still find EHHS rather difficult to AAA on a consistent basis. Hell, I find TTE (a "12") way easier than EHHS. I'm more consistent on getting a low SDG (1-3 goods) on it than the same score on EHHS (somehow idk). Jacks/rolls/bursts are fine. Jumpstream = nope.avi

                      Comment

                      • smartdude1212
                        2 is poo
                        FFR Simfile Author
                        • Sep 2005
                        • 6687

                        #86
                        Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

                        What astounds me is that Balloon Fever was once considered an 11 and now files harder than it are being questioned for borderline 9/10.

                        Comment

                        • who_cares973
                          FFR Player
                          • Aug 2006
                          • 15407

                          #87
                          Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

                          reading through this thread i find myself laughing at everyone

                          all the files were good

                          Comment

                          • rushyrulz
                            Digital Dancing!
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            FFR Music Producer
                            • Feb 2006
                            • 12985

                            #88
                            Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

                            The one time I was able to play Ambient Angels through on my shitty 2006 vista computer with half a bar of internet connection, my first thought after playing was:
                            "Easy AAA once I'm on my good comp"

                            It's what? 170 BPM jumpstream? Idgaf how dense it is, I could almost hit gluts at 170. Plus, it flows really well. Quit complaining about it being 11 when it's clearly a high 10.

                            EDIT: lmao, managed to 9 clean it sitting in a chair with no arm room with my laptop in my lap with mute on playing with near silent keytaps at school
                            cmon guys.
                            Last edited by rushyrulz; 11-16-2011, 11:44 AM.


                            Comment

                            • Hakulyte
                              aka Haku
                              • Jul 2005
                              • 4697

                              #89
                              Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

                              I'd like to post this to help people who are blind like me.



                              Every files are good, difficulty is fine.
                              Last edited by Hakulyte; 11-16-2011, 11:42 AM.

                              Comment

                              • hobgoblinpie
                                FFR Veteran
                                • Mar 2008
                                • 161

                                #90
                                Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 1

                                Fall silently was one of the best songs I've played on FFR for a while now. Very fun.

                                The others were also good, but I can't be bothered to finish Rapids or Ambient, just because I can't get decent PA on them. Ambient does feel like a high 10 (maybe low 11?).

                                In response to the comparable 9's to Fall Silently, Gym leader isn't really that hard (haven't fc'ed it because one pattern really throws me off, would have otherwise). Of the ones listed, I think Can Can is the most like Fall silently. Rage inducing runningmen, but the jumpjacks aren't anything too bad (easy to PA). The Polyrhythms in Fall are what make the jumpjacks slightly harder to get decent PA, but again, nothing too challenging.

                                Example of derping Gym Leader:



                                The repetitious pattern screws with my mind so I gave up and just mashed it. Problem doesn't happen on my left hand (except I derp the rest of the song with my left hand). I try to never mash, but that pattern po'ed me.

                                Although, I have only AAA'd one 7 rated song, so maybe I'm just chatting crap.
                                Last edited by hobgoblinpie; 11-16-2011, 12:02 PM.
                                1st in D1 - Tc_Halogen's Halloween Tournament (2011)

                                6th in D2 - FFR Official Tournament 2011

                                FFR Rivals: Zekramcross and magicturbo

                                Best AAA's: Yoshi's Cookie, Seven, Gaussian Blur 3 (All 9's)
                                80%of all Public Songs FC'd - 02/01/2012

                                Comment

                                Working...