TWG Championship Season 5

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Funnygurl555
    T-Force's Rival
    • Dec 2010
    • 1865

    #106
    Re: TWG Championship Season 5

    whats a wildcard?
    Originally posted by MixMasterLar
    is funny eaman?
    Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
    Originally posted by the sun fan
    GET DUNKED FUNNY
    (eaman is her name irl, friend)

    Comment

    • DarkManticoreX2
      TWG Overlord
      • Apr 2005
      • 7355

      #107
      Re: TWG Championship Season 5

      Ten people auto advance to the finals,
      One is jury selected in
      6 are selected into the finals from another round of 2 games.
      AAA's = 800

      Originally posted by V
      Manti, I apologize for insulting you. Let the record show that I am a prickass douche, and not only that, but that I am a terrible player.

      Comment

      • sprucegrit
        FFR Player
        • Jul 2018
        • 6

        #108
        Re: TWG Championship Season 5

        DarkManticoreX2 was actually the best player, imo. So congratz there, DM.

        I've been in MU champs 3 times now, and bless them, they just can't get the thing right.
        The voting for the games is entirely by players now, sort of. MU encourages players to vote with the protocol MU has established, but that only happens like maybe 50/50, and then with myriads of differences in the cultural and personal distinctive each player brings to the voting queue. More often than not it comes down to who the community knows best having a great advantage over other players. Still, when a player distinguishes themselves through gameplay as DM did, it gets notice, just sometimes not enough notice.

        But yes, DM has an excellent chance of making it to an intermediary game. He has done FFR proud.

        Comment

        • Charu
          Snivy! Dohoho!
          FFR Simfile Author
          • Mar 2006
          • 6207

          #109
          Re: TWG Championship Season 5

          He's a good player when he focuses, that's for sure.

          Just don't catch him when he's sleeping, or not caring. It shows hard when he doesn't give the game a lot of attention, lol.


          Originally posted by JohnRedWolf87
          Charu the red-nosed Snivy
          Had a very shiny nose
          And if you ever saw it
          You could even say it glows

          All of the other Snivies
          Used to laugh and call him names
          They never let poor Charu
          Join in any Snivy games

          (Click the arrow to see the rest)


          Originally posted by Vendetta21
          All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.

          Comment

          • mellonxcollie
            Sectional Moderator
            Sectional Moderator
            • Dec 2006
            • 1303

            #110
            Re: TWG Championship Season 5

            Congrats Manti <3
            Follow my dog on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Riles_puppy

            Comment

            • roundbox
              fhqwhgads
              • Feb 2005
              • 2086

              #111
              Re: TWG Championship Season 5

              Originally posted by the sun fan
              I'd be too tiny to be a bouncer



              Comment

              • the sun fan
                FFR Player
                • Mar 2017
                • 658

                #112
                Re: TWG Championship Season 5

                Originally posted by sprucegrit
                DarkManticoreX2 was actually the best player, imo. So congratz there, DM.

                I've been in MU champs 3 times now, and bless them, they just can't get the thing right.
                The voting for the games is entirely by players now, sort of. MU encourages players to vote with the protocol MU has established, but that only happens like maybe 50/50, and then with myriads of differences in the cultural and personal distinctive each player brings to the voting queue. More often than not it comes down to who the community knows best having a great advantage over other players. Still, when a player distinguishes themselves through gameplay as DM did, it gets notice, just sometimes not enough notice.

                But yes, DM has an excellent chance of making it to an intermediary game. He has done FFR proud.
                I agree with you on a lot of the flaws of the voting system; I also think that it heavily rewards players with FPS and ones that say a lot of words.

                I think it comes between Manti and Paratroopa for the best player, and I was pleasantly surprised when Paratroopa advanced to the finals instead of Jack. Not because Jack was bad, or because Paratroopa was vastly superior to the other players, but because I think that voters tend to often forget about the townies that are killed earlygame. They are killed earlygame for a reason, and Manti (and I think this is correct) argued for killing Paratroopa because they were just too competent. Voters tend to not remember the people who died early in favor of the people who lived longer, I think.

                FFR has a pretty good track record of the reps we've sent; if Manti is sent to the wildcard games (which I'm like 95-99% sure he will be), then his results are actually on the low end of the reps we've sent, which is kind of hilarious (I say that are the left end of the bell curve of reps). I think he will continue to do FFR proud.

                Also, your avatar is incredibly adorable.
                TWG Stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

                FFR is a pretty good place somehow.

                Comment

                • DarkManticoreX2
                  TWG Overlord
                  • Apr 2005
                  • 7355

                  #113
                  Re: TWG Championship Season 5

                  Originally posted by sprucegrit
                  DarkManticoreX2 was actually the best player, imo. So congratz there, DM.

                  I've been in MU champs 3 times now, and bless them, they just can't get the thing right.
                  The voting for the games is entirely by players now, sort of. MU encourages players to vote with the protocol MU has established, but that only happens like maybe 50/50, and then with myriads of differences in the cultural and personal distinctive each player brings to the voting queue. More often than not it comes down to who the community knows best having a great advantage over other players. Still, when a player distinguishes themselves through gameplay as DM did, it gets notice, just sometimes not enough notice.

                  But yes, DM has an excellent chance of making it to an intermediary game. He has done FFR proud.
                  Thanks Grit, for what it’s worth, I think you got robbed worse point wise. Your gameplay was hard to untangle and it made so many people just ignore you until basically lylo. I don’t think you got enough credit for that at all.
                  AAA's = 800

                  Originally posted by V
                  Manti, I apologize for insulting you. Let the record show that I am a prickass douche, and not only that, but that I am a terrible player.

                  Comment

                  • sprucegrit
                    FFR Player
                    • Jul 2018
                    • 6

                    #114
                    Re: TWG Championship Season 5

                    I was just there as last minute eye-candy to help Lissa out.

                    I'm actually still rather shakespearesque, ever since even before my first appearance in the champs series back in season 2 on twoplustwo. I applaud Thingyman's efforts with it all, but have always been disappointed or maybe too expectant over the disparity between the stated goal claims and the flawed process. If nothing else, at least MU and the champs series has brought a plethora of communities together or aware of one another.

                    I'm still pretty sour on any claim of a "champions" slate. It's a popularity contest, and has always been so. Not a popularity of non-offensive play-style as shakespeare may think from his game 8 experience, but of overall MU community popularity. I could have guaranteed shakespeare never stood a chance against Boquise, for example (no disrespect meant to Boquise). It gets even worse when the jury gets involved for advancement from non-automatic placement.

                    Each year 'they' claim they've 'fixed' the 'issues', and thingyman has had some terrific debate at mindromp over our displeasure, but it remains a very flawed system and nothing like an actual international champ recognition - so yeah, like most every other international competition in any gaming venue, professional or amateur.

                    I've no doubt though, that whoever wins is certainly a remarkable player.

                    Comment

                    • Charu
                      Snivy! Dohoho!
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      • Mar 2006
                      • 6207

                      #115
                      Re: TWG Championship Season 5

                      I always wondered how someone would go about judging who advances in this game to be honest. Maybe that's why I always declined going to one each year (and I've had several people want me to go). That, and I wouldn't be able to do my antics nearly as effective without someone getting mad and thus making the people there see me as some idiot.

                      Which I think I am when it comes to this game. I try to play this game, but I don't think I'm very good at doing the more intellectual things this game encourages.


                      Originally posted by JohnRedWolf87
                      Charu the red-nosed Snivy
                      Had a very shiny nose
                      And if you ever saw it
                      You could even say it glows

                      All of the other Snivies
                      Used to laugh and call him names
                      They never let poor Charu
                      Join in any Snivy games

                      (Click the arrow to see the rest)


                      Originally posted by Vendetta21
                      All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.

                      Comment

                      • the sun fan
                        FFR Player
                        • Mar 2017
                        • 658

                        #116
                        Re: TWG Championship Season 5

                        every single winner that I've seen was, at least, one of the most skilled players in the finals, so that makes me feel better.

                        Thingyman has an impossible job of making the voting process perfect. It will always benefit players to have FPS and say more words, and yes, you are right that being popular on MU doesn't hurt (I suspect that Zarathustra will advance in your game despite being the D1 mislynch as a result and I can even argue that they still likely deserve it but that's beside the point).

                        The point here that I'm trying to make is that mafia is a flawed game so I guess I find it oddly fitting that this process is flawed as well. Everything you've described is a part of mafia. People sometimes don't get lynched because they are more liked than the other wagon(s) that spring up at EOD, even if they've done some things that most people wouldn't be able to get away with.

                        I do think the process can be improved. Manti and I assume that Dante didn't vote, but if he did, would they really have been that informed? The votes were very close, and his votes could've been the difference between any of the top 3 spots. He almost certainly didn't read after he died, so his vote being valid at all feels rather dirty (I also have no idea if he didn't read after he died or if he did, this is just conjecture).

                        So, the actual process of improving the votes would probably be to have a jury do it for every game, which just so happens to be a tremendous burden. It also means that the communities that are represented don't have much of a voice unless they have someone on that jury representing them. Its beyond impossible to just have a jury of players from every community because there just aren't that many people willing to read and think about 10 games of mafia that they weren't a part of.

                        So, ultimately, I think that the way it is is flawed. I agree with you there. But I'm really not sure if an alternative that I can think of is better. Its way too much favoritism if its just a jury of competent players, though maybe that would be marginally better than the way it is now. But I think there would be a lot of communities who would be less willing to participate because of the lack of representation that they would have.

                        Also, thingyman pretty much built this all by himself. He puts in a ton of work and the changes that he makes, he makes because he does believe that he is making the process better. I'd say when it comes to mafia (and believe I have said it before) that I trust his opinion above my own.

                        I am sorry that there have been unfavorable interactions with him and your community though.

                        I am unsure of what you are comparing the process to wrt "an actual international champ recognition" and I would like to know what you mean there.
                        TWG Stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

                        FFR is a pretty good place somehow.

                        Comment

                        • the sun fan
                          FFR Player
                          • Mar 2017
                          • 658

                          #117
                          Re: TWG Championship Season 5

                          Originally posted by Charu
                          Which I think I am when it comes to this game. I try to play this game, but I don't think I'm very good at doing the more intellectual things this game encourages.
                          the intellectual stuff doesn't really matter that much. I don't think I often win as town because I outsmarted the wolves, though it has to happen sometimes considering I've played a bunch. I think, above all else, the best thing to do in mafia is to just play well. Work on getting good reads as town, work on your image as a wolf. The rest feels like it usually falls into place.
                          TWG Stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

                          FFR is a pretty good place somehow.

                          Comment

                          • Charu
                            Snivy! Dohoho!
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            • Mar 2006
                            • 6207

                            #118
                            Re: TWG Championship Season 5

                            Originally posted by the sun fan
                            the intellectual stuff doesn't really matter that much. I don't think I often win as town because I outsmarted the wolves, though it has to happen sometimes considering I've played a bunch. I think, above all else, the best thing to do in mafia is to just play well. Work on getting good reads as town, work on your image as a wolf. The rest feels like it usually falls into place.
                            I suppose that's all I can do. I do believe I am a good wolf though, if that counts for anything, dohoho.


                            Originally posted by JohnRedWolf87
                            Charu the red-nosed Snivy
                            Had a very shiny nose
                            And if you ever saw it
                            You could even say it glows

                            All of the other Snivies
                            Used to laugh and call him names
                            They never let poor Charu
                            Join in any Snivy games

                            (Click the arrow to see the rest)


                            Originally posted by Vendetta21
                            All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.

                            Comment

                            • DarkManticoreX2
                              TWG Overlord
                              • Apr 2005
                              • 7355

                              #119
                              Re: TWG Championship Season 5

                              Personally, I think the 17 players with the most points should just go to the finals.

                              Easy, no subjectivity, no ego, minor favoritism.
                              AAA's = 800

                              Originally posted by V
                              Manti, I apologize for insulting you. Let the record show that I am a prickass douche, and not only that, but that I am a terrible player.

                              Comment

                              • the sun fan
                                FFR Player
                                • Mar 2017
                                • 658

                                #120
                                Re: TWG Championship Season 5

                                Originally posted by DarkManticoreX2
                                Personally, I think the 17 players with the most points should just go to the finals.

                                Easy, no subjectivity, no ego, minor favoritism.
                                games where less people don't vote are hit harder for no good reason
                                TWG Stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

                                FFR is a pretty good place somehow.

                                Comment

                                Working...