FFRmas Day 12

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • _Zenith_
    Accuracy Player
    • Mar 2011
    • 4629

    #91
    Re: FFRmas Day 6

    Originally posted by MinaciousGrace
    either sdg or % based systems are superior

    aaa ratings place a greater emphasis on ntrials versus actual skill level

    in other words

    its a shittier measurement of skill
    % based system in fiffer is currently broken (AA is something like 99+% which is janks while A is anything from 90-98%)

    it's true that SDG based system would outrule AAA here although switching the entire system would take a large chunk of time as there are 1900+ songs in-game with more definitely coming between now and projected time of finishing the system switch; not in the least to say it wouldn't be worth it.

    @sweet, I look at Gunkienen Tarasuigin when I look at Azul, both are roughly the same sketch of each other with the exception that Azul is broken JS while Gunk has more of a defined burst-JS section spread throughout entire chart.

    at the lowest Waltz would be 77-78 still because of how the intro is fast and dense while the trilling section asks to be extremely technical (in terms of D5 skill) even if the outro is stupid simple





    Comment

    • ssbmchamp
      Can't improve at this game.
      • Oct 2006
      • 1128

      #92
      Re: FFRmas Day 6

      Originally posted by _Zenith_
      % based system in fiffer is currently broken (AA is something like 99+% which is janks while A is anything from 90-98%)

      it's true that SDG based system would outrule AAA here although switching the entire system would take a large chunk of time as there are 1900+ songs in-game with more definitely coming between now and projected time of finishing the system switch; not in the least to say it wouldn't be worth it.

      @sweet, I look at Gunkienen Tarasuigin when I look at Azul, both are roughly the same sketch of each other with the exception that Azul is broken JS while Gunk has more of a defined burst-JS section spread throughout entire chart.

      at the lowest Waltz would be 77-78 still because of how the intro is fast and dense while the trilling section asks to be extremely technical (in terms of D5 skill) even if the outro is stupid simple
      I agree that 77-78 would be a more appropriate rating for Waltz

      Comment

      • _Zenith_
        Accuracy Player
        • Mar 2011
        • 4629

        #93
        Re: FFRmas Day 6

        am awaiting rob to come in here and go

        "quit bickering nerds"

        "walts is 79 deal with it "

        <3





        Comment

        • MinaciousGrace
          FFR Player
          • Dec 2007
          • 4278

          #94
          Re: FFRmas Day 6

          Originally posted by ssbmchamp
          you don't need to take a class to look at hard, factual data, to say "hmmmm this song is harder than that one" and make an educated guess on what the rating should be.

          the songs may have different skill sets but if on one song 10 people AAA it and on the other 40 people AAA it, common sense tells me that one skill set is much easier to acquire than the other, therefore justifying a lower rating. sometimes common sense is better than trying to sound like some mathematical genius that's over analyzing the shit out of something that doesn't need to be this complicated.
          do you really want to get into this with me

          @zenith technically no development or effort being put into ffr is "worth it" from any conventional standpoint but that certainly hasn't stopped people from spending hours working on it and it's no reason to cling to an antiquated rating system that can be vastly improved with minimal effort
          Last edited by MinaciousGrace; 12-19-2015, 11:22 AM.

          Comment

          • One Winged Angel
            Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
            FFR Simfile Author
            • Mar 2007
            • 10837

            #95
            Re: FFRmas Day 6

            Originally posted by MinaciousGrace
            either sdg or % based systems are superior

            aaa ratings place a greater emphasis on ntrials versus actual skill level

            in other words

            its a shittier measurement of skill
            AAA-based difficulties may not be as desirable for the algorithm used for skill rating, but when the end goal for scoring on a file for 95+% of players on FFR is to AAA it, and token content unlock conditions are predicated on AAA'ing files of specific difficulty, it certainly seems to be the most appropriate way to ascertain difficulties. If neither of those two conditions existed, and if the FFR difficulty ceiling wasn't so piss poor, I would be much more in favor of a % based system.

            Given the nature of files on SM it makes a fuckton more sense to create an algorithm that assesses difficulty based on how hard something is to AA or reach whatever %. FFR apparently has letter grading conditions for scoring too. AA is 99% raw score, A is 90 or 95% idfk, the point is literally no one gives a shit and I've seen maybe three people post about breaking a certain percentage threshold on a file. They all play to ultimately AAA it.


            Originally posted by ilikexd
            i want to be cucked by cirno

            Comment

            • hi19hi19
              lol happy
              FFR Simfile Author
              • Oct 2005
              • 12194

              #96
              Re: FFRmas Day 6

              I suggested waltz at 78. Does feel easier than Azul to me, but since this is FFR and FFR only cares about AAAs, I admit it's harder to reliably AAA.
              If you're fast enough to do Azul, you pretty much can AAA it no problem, which isn't really what's going on in waltz


              Besides ratings on FFR ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ anyway lol
              Last edited by hi19hi19; 12-19-2015, 12:24 PM.


              Comment

              • MinaciousGrace
                FFR Player
                • Dec 2007
                • 4278

                #97
                Re: FFRmas Day 6

                yeah the problem with % ratings in ffr is you'd have to redesign the entire scoring system from the ground up to make it worth using so i wouldn't advocate that particularly

                i still think moving to sdgs makes more sense than not doing so even without implementing an automated system; it aligns with the somewhat shifting focus away from AAA focused meta, and also is healthier in the long term.
                Last edited by MinaciousGrace; 12-19-2015, 12:29 PM.

                Comment

                • YoshL
                  Celestial Harbor
                  FFR Simfile Author
                  FFR Music Producer
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 6156

                  #98
                  Re: FFRmas Day 6

                  I think in the end, the community has grown small enough that a change like moving away from AAA based score mindsets to SDGs or even 99% raw score isn't that bad. Sure, many skill token unlocks and other such things are based on AAAs, but I think in the end, dwelling on the past and making attempt to keep things the same as they always were isn't necessarily the right way to do things?

                  starting with a 60 fps engine that converts directly from the .sm to get accurate charts (hue)


                  Originally posted by Charu
                  Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.

                  Comment

                  • One Winged Angel
                    Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    • Mar 2007
                    • 10837

                    #99
                    Re: FFRmas Day 6

                    also I replayed waltz and I'm changing back to 78

                    I have a ton of things I could talk about for a proper way of structuring and assessing difficulties on FFR but quite frankly (and other people are well aware) I don't care that much at this point and a large reason as to why I'm even still here is because I haven't found anyone to pass off doing song difficulties to (although corn and I tend to rate unreleased files under 89ish nearly identically a large majority of the time but I'm sure he also doesn't care). Changing to SDG-based difficulties wouldn't result in more than a +/-2 change for the hardest third of files in game, obviously barring any files with extreme spike spurts for 50 arrows or something. They would just need to be combed through again which really wouldn't be that time-consuming by anyone competent (read: unbiased). Under 66 is a fucking mess like I've said many times before and needs a complete restructuring anyways.
                    Last edited by One Winged Angel; 12-19-2015, 12:48 PM.


                    Originally posted by ilikexd
                    i want to be cucked by cirno

                    Comment

                    • psychoangel691
                      Retired Staff
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      • Dec 2004
                      • 10438

                      #100
                      Re: FFRmas Day 6

                      Yeah all the lower ratings are really screwy. I don't think anyone really wants to devote the time right now to try to adjust everything.
                      Originally posted by Charu
                      My dick is good, thank you very much. It gets love and attention no matter what <3 <3 <3
                      Originally posted by DaBackpack
                      also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
                      Originally posted by Shadow_God_10
                      Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

                      Originally posted by hi19hi19
                      yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl

                      Comment

                      • _Zenith_
                        Accuracy Player
                        • Mar 2011
                        • 4629

                        #101
                        Re: FFRmas Day 6

                        Originally posted by psychoangel691
                        Yeah all the lower ratings are really screwy. I don't think anyone really wants to devote the time right now to try to adjust everything.
                        I combed through at something like 9-10% of the lower difficulty ratings and made some notes but it would still take me time to finish the rest of them

                        I still have the spreadsheet for when I did this too (this was months ago)





                        Comment

                        • psychoangel691
                          Retired Staff
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          • Dec 2004
                          • 10438

                          #102
                          Re: FFRmas Day 6

                          Found an easier file for the event \o/ It's not going to be till day 11 though cause I had to swap with a later file since others are ready to go.
                          Originally posted by Charu
                          My dick is good, thank you very much. It gets love and attention no matter what <3 <3 <3
                          Originally posted by DaBackpack
                          also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
                          Originally posted by Shadow_God_10
                          Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

                          Originally posted by hi19hi19
                          yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl

                          Comment

                          • rzr
                            TWG Veteran
                            • Oct 2007
                            • 7608

                            #103
                            Re: FFRmas Day 6

                            Yesss!!!!!!!!

                            Originally posted by darkshark
                            Everyone sucks at this game. The second you think you're good is the second you stop trying to get better.
                            Originally posted by aperson
                            i had a mri the other day it was the best song i heard in years

                            Originally posted by Sprite-
                            More of a joke than the time I deleted all the credits on the site.
                            Originally posted by MinaciousGrace
                            yeah my goldfish think im a riot they do this thing where they turn upside down and float to the top of the tank

                            i guess their alcohol tolerance isnt as high as mine

                            Comment

                            • smartdude1212
                              2 is poo
                              FFR Simfile Author
                              • Sep 2005
                              • 6687

                              #104
                              Re: FFRmas Day 6

                              Originally posted by One Winged Angel
                              corn and I tend to rate unreleased files under 89ish nearly identically a large majority of the time
                              We make a g team too but I also don't care. \o/

                              Comment

                              • ULTIMEGA
                                Torn to oblivion!
                                • Mar 2009
                                • 1498

                                #105
                                Re: FFRmas Day 6

                                Would have to agree that waltz is a 78.

                                Azul feels like an 80 to me. But maybe that's my ass talking to me again.
                                Subscribe To My Channel!

                                Originally posted by _Zenith_
                                @ULTIMEGA, dank meme genie.

                                HIGHEST AAA:Necropotence [90]
                                HIGHEST SDG: Magical 8 Bit Tour [100] (7-0-0-4)
                                HIGHEST FC: Six Acid Strings [101]
                                HIGHEST SCORE: Magical 8 Bit Tour [100] (7-0-0-4)

                                Comment

                                Working...