Old 08-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Exclamation FFR Standalone!

Official FFR Standalone Thread!

This guide is designed to help you use a Flash Standalone player to play on the FFR engines. If you're experiencing lag on FFR trying to play in your internet browser, this is your solution!

If you have a general idea what you are doing, here is the quick version with the basics for you to run FFR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
tl;dr version

- Download a flash player (see below in step one for links)
- Open up flash player
- File --> Open
- For the location type in:
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/~velocity/R%5E3.swf for the main engine (R^3)
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...y/ffr_Wide.swf for the Velocity Engine,
or http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/ffrndanotherway.swf for the Legacy Engine
Quick terminology to be sure everything is clear:
R^3 = The newest and most efficient/up-to-date engine for FFR. It is the current build.
Legacy Engine = The original FFR engine
Velocity Engine = The second FFR engine, coded by Velocity, became an interim engine while staff created R^3.
Web Browser = what you're surfing the net in right now (often IE, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc).
Playing FFR in a browser = Playing FFR on the site on it's designated pages (found above).
.SWF = ShockWave File (alternatively Small Web File), this is the extension of the engines themselves located on the website.
Standalone Flash Player = This is NOT something connected with a browser (stand alone). It is a separate file created by Macromedia Flash, one that you download and install (you'll see how below) to run flash applications.

There are four sections to the guide below.

1) You will need to download a Flash Player Standalone, as this is what runs the engine.
2) You will need to find the appropriate .swf link for the engine you wish to run.
3) [Official FFR Only] You will need to log in on Internet Explorer (regardless of the browser you use) for your scores to record.
4) You will need to open the engine link in the standalone to run it.

That being said, here is the breakdown on each. Feel free to skip steps that do not apply to your situation.

STEP ONE

Flash Player Standalone

You will need a Flash Player to run the standalone. The list of current options for Flash Players consists of the links below.
----> Click on a link below, and a download of a .zip folder should start. Once it has completed, unzip the folder [extract the files] and store the folder in a location where you can find it again. I will come back to using this in the next few steps. If for some reason the .zip download above does not work, go to this link to find the whole download list.

WINDOWS USERS
a) Flash 8
b) Flash 9
c) Flash 10
d) Flash 11
e) Flash 12
f) Flash 13
g) Flash 14
h) Flash 15
i) Flash 16
MAC USERS
a) Flash 9
b) Flash 10
c) Flash 11
d) Flash 12
e) Flash 13
f) Flash 14
g) Flash 15
h) Flash 16
LINUX USERS
a) Flash 9
b) Flash 10
c) Flash 11
d) No Flash 12+ support for Linux as of 12/9/2014

These links will all play the standalone engines, but performance results will vary from person to person. Generally we hear better feedback about Flash 9 when running FFR, due to the engine being written in AS2 as opposed to AS3, but this does not necessarily mean that Flash 9 will run better on your computer. You will have to try each out to really decide which works best.

STEP TWO

.swf Files

You'll want to find the proper link to the engine you wish to run, as you'll be needing the link to load the engine in the standalone. Right click (or open the page) and copy the link to the engine you want to run.

ENGINE LINKS

Official FFR Engines:
R^3 Engine (current main engine -- discussion thread here ... Multiplayer link is the same)
Legacy Engine // Legacy Engine Multiplayer
Velocity Engine // Velocity Engine Multiplayer
R^2 Engine (original Beta engine)

Other Engine Links (Non-official)

Hakulyte's Engine:
This engine (set up by Hakulyte) is an engine for Isolation Files (files that are cut to focus on one part of a song, such as the trill in Crowdpleaser)
Legacy // Velocity // R3 XML

Dragonsfury Engine:
This engine (set up by TC_Halogen and psychoangel691) was the engine for a part of the FFR community during the period where FFR was down

FFRMania Engine:
Created by Tarrik, PrawnSkunk, and foxfire667 this engine hosts entire Stepmania packs! Still a work in progress as far as uploading goes.

Team Indeed Engines:
The Indeed Engines hosted files specifically for Team Indeed and Dossar's tournaments, although they were taken down. The R^3 xml links are available below:
Team Indeed Engine R^3 xml
Dossar Tournament Engine R^3 xml

Community Engine:
This engine (hosted by justin_ator) is designed to be an engine for files of anyone interested in getting a file out to an engine. Dumps, Play-testing, Old FFR files, and plenty of other songs can be found here
Legacy // Velocity // Velocity Beta // R3 XML

Team Fur Engine:
This engine (hosted by Yoshl) is the engine for Team Fur
Legacy // Velocity

Team Blaze Engine:
This engine (hosted by Charu & reuben_tate) is the engine for Team Blaze

Using R3 Engine XML's
Credit to Charu:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Oh yeah, folks. I was helping Arc with this when he was testing it out, but... you all might be wondering what he meant by this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcnmx View Post
The game can also be used to play additional songs from alternate engine playlists.
Well, it's exactly what it sounds. With this new build, you can play alternate engine songs using FFR's R^3 engine. Better unifying an all in one package, oho.

For example sake, I'm going to use the Team Blaze engine since we have that.

Under options, you'll notice something called "engine playlist" and it'll ask for input. Well...

Using this link: http://teamblaze.zxq.net/r3.xml or any above xml link

And then selecting Team Blaze Engine as it loads up... You can access our playlist and even load our level swfs using R^3.

EDIT: ALSO, here's a neat feature. You can actually play MP with alternate engine songs, granted the opponent is ALSO using R^3.

STEP THREE

Logging in on Standalone

You'll have to follow this process to log in and have scores record on the official FFR engines.

1) Open Internet Explorer (even if you don't typically use it).
2) Go to Internet Options --> Security Options, and uncheck the box that says Enable Protected Mode (example)
3) Check the "Remember Me" box before logging into FFR on IE.
4) Log in.
5) Re-enable Protected mode (same way you turned it off) if you want.

This can all be viewed in this video tutorial made by rushyrulz

STEP FOUR

Running the Engine

This can be simple for some people, harder for others. It all depends on what security measures you are running, etc.

-To start, open the Flash Standalone Player file that you saved. (example)
-Go to File, then Open
-Paste an engine link from the list of swf links below into the url input box (example)
-Click okay, and the window will open.

*Here is where the process can vary.

--If your Flash Player displays a message saying it has stopped an unsafe operation, [see pic] then you may need to go into the security options for your browser's Flash, and "Allow" the Standalone permission to run [see pic, and select the .swf file under 'choose location']
If it isn't starting correctly, an authentication test fails, or you keep getting logged out, then you probably need to Login using Internet Explorer as shown in the previous step.
If there are other various problems that are showing up, clear your cache in Internet Explorer (Internet Options, Delete Browsing History, and only select Temporary Internet Files) and try reloading the engine.

ALSO! After you have worked through this and the engine is running, go to File and click Create Projector. This will create an exe file that will automatically do the above steps when you click it. That way, you don't have to repeat this process every time. Save this somewhere you can find it, to play later!

LAG REDUCTION

If the standalone is lagging for you, here are a few options you can try:

Hardware Acceleration:

If you are having issues with R^3 on rates, it's likely because of hardware acceleration (and you're welcome to test this for other lag issues as well)

Quick explanation of what the issue could be:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zageron View Post
This is likely because Skype uses hardware acceleration properly, and flash does not. When Skype is "activated" your video card would turn itself into high power mode to run whatever was necessary for Skype, when the notification is over the video card returns to low power mode.
That in mind, here is the option to fix it, for some users. If you use something else, you'll have to do a little searching to find the proper way to fix hardware acceleration:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zageron View Post
If you have an NVidia video card, you can find your standalone executable and register it into the profiles area in the NV Control Panel. Reduce the prerendered frame count to 1, and force high performance mode.

This may help, it may not. (If you use an Intel Embeded graphics system or an ATI card, I don't know how to force high performance modes. )
PrawnSkunk stated this as well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrawnSkunk View Post
In dxdiag, I noticed directx hardware acceleration was enabled by default. So, I downloaded the DirectX Control Panel 9.0c, and unchecked "Use Hardware Acceleration" on the Direct3D and DirectDraw tabs.

Gamebooster:
Download and run Gamebooster, to try to eliminate extra processes that might not really need to be running. This works for some, but not for all.

Themes: GIVE THIS A TRY, IT WORKS BETTER THAN YOU'D THINK
Believe it or not, running the Windows 7, Aero, or Vista theme and appearance on your computer can actually make the game lag for some people (myself included). To help reduce that lag, you might consider changing the theme and layout to Windows Classic for the times you play FFR. (right click on desktop, appearance options, etc.)

Windows Performance Changes for XP and Vista:
1.Go to start.
2.Right click computer.
3.Click properties.
4.Then on the bottom left it will say performance click that.
5.Then Click adjust visual effects.
6.Then click the bubble that says best performance.

Windows Performance Changes for Windows 7:
1. Start.
2. Right click computer.
3. Click properties.
4. On the left sidebar, click 'Advanced system settings'.
5. Click the advanced tab.
6. Under 'Performance', click on the 'Settings' button.
7. Click the radio button that says 'Adjust for best performance'.
8. Click 'Ok'.

Data Storage on the Standalone:
V-Ormix suggested Right clicking on the flash player and going into the settings tab to allow Unlimited Storage (you right click in the flash player screen, like if you accidentally right clicked while playing FFR).

CCleaner:
You can download CCleaner here to try and remove unnecessary processes that are running on your computer.

Program Priority:
You can go to your computer's Task Manager, click the Processes tab, right click the Flash Player, and set priority to 'Real Time' or the Highest Priority

If there are any questions/complaints/comments, post in the thread and I will try to answer them as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Also, special thanks to these folks for originally helping me perfect the thread and get all the information correct:
psychoangel691
TC_Halogen
DossarLX ODI
rushyrulz

Last edited by DossarLX ODI; 08-7-2016 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Updated Team Indeed section with R^3 xml links
justin_ator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR Standalone!

Stuck, Closed, and then reopened so justin can edit it.
Feel free to post now.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
MaxGhost
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to MaxGhost

Why not just put all the SWF links here including external ones for reference, instead of on your profile? This is easier access than your profile.
Great post btw, I was getting tired myself of explaining it to every single person.

Last edited by nois-or-e; 08-31-2011 at 08:41 AM..
MaxGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

The FFR velocity engine link in that random thought is an invalid link. It's http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...y/ffr_Wide.swf

You should also include Tarrik's swf link (not just the page) - http://zestorax.zxq.net/ffrndanotherway_1130.swf

I suggest just giving the .swf links, it's a bit confusing to put the game pages in because those links don't work on the standalone player, only the direct .swf links do.

DF engines:
Velocity
Legacy
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
SeraphinEveles
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SeraphinEveles

will playing things on the standalone record scores? my thought would be no..

HA! Finally figured out how to get my Sig in purple, and show the stats i want.
I love knowing BBC.
SeraphinEveles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
MaxGhost
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Yes, it does record your scores. What would the point of this be if it didn't?

From kayla in the front page comments:
"Wait, I just read the guide. There’s no need to download the engine .swf to play on the standalone ?_?
When you open the standalone you just go to file then open and put in the link to the .swf."

^This. Once you open a .swf file, the most recent ones you opened show up in the most recent list in the File menu. Much easier way to keep track of all the engines, you just open it once and it's gonna stay there. Only thing is that it only tracks the last 10 URLs, so if people keep making new engines, this won't work anymore.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
SeraphinEveles
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGhost View Post
Yes, it does record your scores. What would the point of this be if it didn't?
offline play? i would assume that's why some people wanted it.

on another note, will it update, or do you need to "manually" update it?

I love knowing BBC.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691

Seraphin it will record everything back to the site as long as you are logged in on the standalone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
psychoangel691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
SeraphinEveles
FFR Player

ok, next thing. where does flash install to on win7 x64? O_o

I love knowing BBC.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
MaxGhost
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeraphinEveles View Post
ok, next thing. where does flash install to on win7 x64? O_o
It's a standalone app, meaning it doesn't install anything. It's just an .exe that runs itself.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
DefectiveDavis
FFR Player

The standalone says it failed to load the game playlist.
Is there a fix for this?
DefectiveDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

You can use my crappy video in your well-constructed thread .
Actually, I might make a newer, better version because that old one was done on my laptop at school rofl. I'll PM you later tonight, but for now feel free to use my old video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UB2Eqt9YvA

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #13
Riotpolice
"Reach For The Stars"
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Riotpolice Send a message via Skype™ to Riotpolice

I remember when I wasn't playing with a standalone...scores were of the equivalent to the bottom of my toilet after sitting 10 minutes on it. GET THE STANDALONE, IT WILL SAVE YOU.
Also why is "summon" in quotation marks as usually that signifies an alternate meaning like for example last night I "visited" your mother but it really means last night I "fucked her in the ass" so exactly what is the subtext of "summon" because I am not sure I am comfortable with the implications

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0de View Post
im usually the "nice guy" around these parts.. but this is bad, and you should feel bad. i would rather dip my balls in honey and hover them over a red ant hill than to ever hear such butchered crap.
Riotpolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
SeraphinEveles
FFR Player

i also got the "song list couldn't load" error.

I love knowing BBC.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #15
Sephiroth28
Snake Princess
FFR Veteran

Yeah, I didn't realize how bad my lag was since I was so used to it until I got standalone. It's way better.

Edit: I feel like one of those "real people" trying to advertise something on TV. lol
Old 08-31-2011, 01:01 PM   #16
ShAiOnEi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ShAiOnEi Send a message via Yahoo to ShAiOnEi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefectiveDavis View Post
The standalone says it failed to load the game playlist.
Is there a fix for this?
This

Epic thread killer
ShAiOnEi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:08 PM   #17
flipsta_lombax
Lombax Connoisseur
FFR Veteran

Yeah, even with Flash 10, it failed to load the game list for me too. I posted a thread about this problem haha.

Best SCORE: Husigi Usagi Milk Tei {16-1-2-8}
flipsta_lombax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #18
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691

Are you guys downloading the .swf? That could be why you're getting that error. I don't know why he has it that way. When you open the standalone go to file then open it'll bring up a spot to put in the url put the url in for the .swf so you'll want to put in http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/~velocity/ffr_Wide.swf for velocity engine and http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/ffrndanotherway.swf for the legacy.

This was the old sticky with info for the standalone http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=114638
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl

Last edited by psychoangel691; 08-31-2011 at 01:14 PM..
psychoangel691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #19
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Downloading the .swf and opening it from your computer is going to wind up with authentication issues (like psychoangel stated). You have to use the link from the site.

Authentication pissed me off when I was trying to configure an engine for my tournament - I spent hours trying to get it to work and I had to ask Velocity about it. Authentication only works if you use the site's engine. Reason for this is that it's URL sensitive, and more things I don't need to go into.

With that being said, this part of the post should be fixed:

Quote:
2) You will need to download a .swf file for the Engine.
It should be "You will need to use an engine .swf link" so people don't go downloading the .swf and wind up raging about authentication issues that prevent the song list from loading.

Last edited by DossarLX ODI; 08-31-2011 at 01:21 PM..
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:21 PM   #20
flipsta_lombax
Lombax Connoisseur
FFR Veteran

You guys are heroes. Fixed and playable. <3

Best SCORE: Husigi Usagi Milk Tei {16-1-2-8}
flipsta_lombax is offline   Reply With Quote