Don't reply to strange threads here.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Izzy
    Snek
    FFR Simfile Author
    • Jan 2003
    • 9195

    #91
    Re: Don't reply to strange threads here.

    6 and 8 aren't letters. I was joking though. I know there are 4 cat characters. Just not 4 letters.

    No, they dont have it anymore.

    Comment

    • x After Dawn x
      FFR Veteran
      • Jul 2007
      • 1613

      #92
      Re: Don't reply to strange threads here.

      I haven't seen any bots for a few days now, maybe they've finally stopped...

      Edit: It seems I spoke 5 minutes too soon.
      Last edited by x After Dawn x; 10-13-2008, 12:42 PM.
      Originally posted by Djr Rap dancer
      Alcohol make peoples retard.
      Drink for forget you are retard and this bring you more retard.
      Just take nicotine patch lol

      Comment

      • who_cares973
        FFR Player
        • Aug 2006
        • 15407

        #93
        Re: Don't reply to strange threads here.

        if you wouldve been on 2 hours ago we were flooded with sex threads again lol

        Comment

        • Afrobean
          Admiral in the Red Army
          • Dec 2003
          • 13262

          #94
          Re: Don't reply to strange threads here.

          Originally posted by Squeek
          Sure, blame us.

          Don't blame vBulletin, which apparently HATES using anti-bot methods during registration.

          I don't think some of the staff have done anything but try to get image captcha working again.
          Sorry, but I, like most folks, measure effort by results. If there are no results, it doesn't really matter how much is being tried, because it simply isn't working.

          No matter what's been done, there could be more. Is there no way to implement permission limitations like I suggested? None of these bots are responding to existing topics, so why not make it require a postcount of at least 1 to post a new topic? Is it possible to instill a waiting period wherein new accounts could respond to topics, but couldn't post new ones?

          How about something as simple as limiting the ability of users to make use of BBcode based on postcount (again, based around the requirement of postcount=1)? It wouldn't stop them from posting the offensive ****, but it would make them unable to use hyperlinks and embed images, and frankly, it's the images that are the real trouble as far as I'm concerned. Spam about drugs, not important; spam with hardcore pornographic images? Yeah.

          Comment

          • x After Dawn x
            FFR Veteran
            • Jul 2007
            • 1613

            #95
            Re: Don't reply to strange threads here.

            I agree with Afrobean's suggestion...perhaps set a restriction that doesn't allow anything but text and smileys in a post until a user has hit postcount=5 (since I've actually seen spambots get 2 posts before they are banned, 5 would be a good number, perhaps even 4).
            Originally posted by Djr Rap dancer
            Alcohol make peoples retard.
            Drink for forget you are retard and this bring you more retard.
            Just take nicotine patch lol

            Comment

            • Squeek
              let it snow~
              • Jan 2004
              • 14444

              #96
              Re: Don't reply to strange threads here.

              No.

              You can't do that.

              It's not possible to do and it would be a pain in the ass for legitimate new users.

              The only solution is image captcha and the vB upgrade broke it for more forums than just ours.

              Comment

              • Afrobean
                Admiral in the Red Army
                • Dec 2003
                • 13262

                #97
                Re: Don't reply to strange threads here.

                Originally posted by Squeek
                No.

                You can't do that.

                It's not possible to do and it would be a pain in the ass for legitimate new users.
                I can't speak as to how much ass pain would be involved, but I can say with relative certainty that it is possible.

                Also: the legitimate new users who would be butthurt because they can't use their first post to create a new thread containing embedded images can eat my ass if they don't like it. Seriously, if it's THAT IMPORTANT that your first post be a new topic that contains embedded images, you are ****ing stupid.

                Comment

                • x After Dawn x
                  FFR Veteran
                  • Jul 2007
                  • 1613

                  #98
                  Re: Don't reply to strange threads here.

                  GameSpot has (or had) it with their message boards, it's not impossible.
                  Originally posted by Djr Rap dancer
                  Alcohol make peoples retard.
                  Drink for forget you are retard and this bring you more retard.
                  Just take nicotine patch lol

                  Comment

                  • chidori!
                    FFR Player
                    • Jun 2007
                    • 1603

                    #99
                    Re: Don't reply to strange threads here.

                    when porn bots go to 32-bit they've gone too far >:O

                    Comment

                    • Squeek
                      let it snow~
                      • Jan 2004
                      • 14444

                      #100
                      Re: Don't reply to strange threads here.

                      Originally posted by afrobean
                      i can't speak as to how much ass pain would be involved, but i can say with relative certainty that it is possible.

                      Also: The legitimate new users who would be butthurt because they can't use their first post to create a new thread containing embedded images can eat my ass if they don't like it. Seriously, if it's that important that your first post be a new topic that contains embedded images, you are ****ing stupid.
                      THEN YOU ****ING CODE IT.

                      GOD.

                      STOP ****ING WHINING.

                      If you want to yell at someone, yell at Synth, OK? If it were Tass and I, we'd have 5 different human verification systems. Synth does not like e-mail verification because it turns away legitimate users. Synth does not like human verification because it turns away legitimate users. BLAME SYNTH.

                      Comment

                      • Afrobean
                        Admiral in the Red Army
                        • Dec 2003
                        • 13262

                        #101
                        Re: Don't reply to strange threads here.

                        Originally posted by Squeek
                        THEN YOU ****ING CODE IT.

                        GOD.

                        STOP ****ING WHINING.

                        If you want to yell at someone, yell at Synth, OK? If it were Tass and I, we'd have 5 different human verification systems. Synth does not like e-mail verification because it turns away legitimate users. Synth does not like human verification because it turns away legitimate users. BLAME SYNTH.
                        I never intended my comments to be directed at you guys who can't take the actions necessary to enact them. You can go ahead and take everything I said as being directed at Synth himself, although, I must admit, I haven't seen him on the forums lately. Don't much feel like IMing him just to whine about this, but this is definitely something that should be prodded with as much force as is possible.

                        You guys (read: mods) aren't doing a bad job, but what you're doing shouldn't be necessary. We shouldn't be worrying about bringing them down after the fact, we should be worried about keeping them out in the first place.

                        Furthermore, I am not staff here. It is not my job to fix this problem. It is my job to bitch and complain about it so that the administration can be constantly reminded how important this problem is.

                        Comment

                        • KA0Z R4VR
                          FFR Player
                          • Feb 2007
                          • 287

                          #102
                          Re: Don't reply to strange threads here.

                          Ok let's not start blaming people. Let's just propose a solution and hopefully someone will take it up.
                          Originally posted by jewpinthethird
                          Are you has depression? Does you worry about things that are worryful? Does you want to escape the Earths? Just remember, you has a spicy life.
                          Originally posted by Zageron
                          Everything is Vistas fault. If your cat dies, it's also Vistas fault.
                          Originally posted by [TeRa]
                          I've come to the assumption that you are either Miley Cyrus yourself being you are not a young kid trying to defend her, or you are indeed Chris Crocker, you related her to Britney Spears...If you took this paragraph seriously, just quit the internet lol

                          Comment

                          • Izzy
                            Snek
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            • Jan 2003
                            • 9195

                            #103
                            Re: Don't reply to strange threads here.

                            How about a more simple solution. Can't create new threads until 5 posts.

                            No, i don't know how to code it, but I am sure it is possible.

                            Comment

                            • clarinet89
                              FFR Player
                              • Jan 2008
                              • 899

                              #104
                              Re: Don't reply to strange threads here.

                              Well there's another one. I reported it.

                              Questionable Content

                              Comment

                              • Squeek
                                let it snow~
                                • Jan 2004
                                • 14444

                                #105
                                Re: Don't reply to strange threads here.

                                Originally posted by Izzy
                                How about a more simple solution. Can't create new threads until 5 posts.

                                No, i don't know how to code it, but I am sure it is possible.
                                That isn't simple. Nor is it a solution.

                                Comment

                                Working...