Re: Friendship is Magic (current FFR Pony avatar count: 16)
I've yet to really be won over by this series... I asked a few people before about if it's more than just super-twee cutesy animals and they said yes... unfortunately, that's yet to be proven. I'm going to stick with the series a bit more because I'm only on episode 5, and maybe some genuine humour will kick in afterwards (what I was expecting was maybe pop culture references or references to adult lifestyles that children wouldn't understand - sort of similar to children's cartoons in the 90s - they had stuff for the kids and the adults).
But, yeah, to put me out of my misery quickly: is it all super-twee horseplay or does it add some genuine humour later in the series? Or if it hasn't piqued my interest at this stage, should I just give up on it? Thanks to who ever answers.
Re: Friendship is Magic (current FFR Pony avatar count: 16)
Originally posted by Mechablob
(what I was expecting was maybe pop culture references or references to adult lifestyles that children wouldn't understand - sort of similar to children's cartoons in the 90s - they had stuff for the kids and the adults).
It does have this in spades, though a lot less early on. The show definitely has an upward trend so far, so the first few episodes aren't really as great. Fortunately, you don't have to watch them in order.
But even early on there were a bunch of references. In episode 4, the bunny stampede is a shout out to an old 70's horror movie, and then the shot of the pony being swarmed by the stampede is a pretty obvious Lion King homage, and then the very next line is an Apocalypse Now reference. So it's still there in the beginning. Later on they start introducing one-time ponies based off of famous people (Andre Agassi, Anna Wintour)
There's a few times when the show makes alcohol jokes too. I mean, Applejack? and then she even gets renamed Appletini for a bit. A stressed out Twilight pouring a brown bottle into a margarita glass in the first episode? uh huh
Comment