Music you may or may not know about

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • xObserveRx
    FFR Simfile Author
    FFR Simfile Author
    • Aug 2003
    • 1148

    #76
    other than the absolutely horrendous and unnecessary screaming, it was alright.
    Come Play The Werewolf Game!

    Comment

    • Spazzbite
      FFR Simfile Author
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Jan 2003
      • 2181

      #77
      Unable to find a picture of this band, due to their name.

      Subtle
      A fantastic hip-hop band that has an... interesting way of using a vocoder. One of few hip hop groups I'm willing to listen to, and probably my favourite.

      Originally posted by Quicker
      shades don't break unless you break them.

      Comment

      • talisman
        Resident Penguin
        FFR Simfile Author
        • May 2003
        • 4598

        #78
        Observer I find the screaming hard to get over as well... but it's sort of part of their shtick. I don't think they're going for a more accessible sound... it's definitely demanding of the audience.

        Comment

        • theindierockzombie
          FFR Player
          • Jan 2006
          • 4

          #79
          some of these are sorta well known some not *shrugs*
          modest mouse, my favorite band

          soundgarden, amazing grunge
          matt pond pa pretty good, you either like em or you dont
          I'll post more later


          2 awesome bands

          Comment

          • Tasuke
            FFR Player
            • Oct 2003
            • 1671

            #80
            The Aquabats
            The Phenomonauts
            The New Pornographers

            Comment

            • jakegpv
              FFR Player
              • Feb 2006
              • 8

              #81
              Re: Music you may or may not know about

              WOAH! SOMEONE LIKES MATT POND PA! Im going to their show on the 27th of this February. Excited? YES!

              Great bands-
              Death Cab For Cutie
              Cursive
              Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young
              Damien Rice
              Elliot Smith
              Ben Kweller
              James Taylor
              Bright Eyes
              The Elected
              Rilo Kiley
              Interpol
              IMARobot
              Iron & Wine
              Dispatch(Very suprised someone knew them)
              The Arcade Fire
              The Faint
              Bloc Party
              MATT POND PA!
              Youth Group
              Belle & Sebastian
              Tilly & the Wall
              Cat Stevens
              The SHINS!
              The New Pornographers
              A.C. Newman (Lead singer of New Pornographers)
              The Strokes
              The Postal Service
              Shout Out Louds

              HORRIBLE bands that should be wiped off the face of the earth
              Panic at the Disco
              Fall out Boy
              Green day
              Click 5
              Hawthorne Heights
              Switchfoot
              Maroon 5
              Good Charlotte
              Yellowcard

              Notify me if i missed any!

              Comment

              • Hr2
                FFR Player
                • Mar 2005
                • 2350

                #82
                Re: Music you may or may not know about

                I've heard of some of these bands. Animal Collective I've heard lots of good things about but when I listened to some of them it was music I'd only listen to if I was in a warm place. I don't know, it wasn't cold winter music.

                Ok on to awesomeness.

                65daysofstatic



                Math rock I guess, these guys are great! They would be about 10x better if they got themselves a singer though instead of just having instrumental songs, but they are still really good even without a singer. They are from the UK and have two albums.

                Amon Tobin



                This is some great IDM, it is influenced by funk and jazz. I was shocked when I first heard it because it was like nothing I had ever heard before. Its not like vsnarez IDM with 230948bpm snare rushes, it is much more musical.

                Tortoise

                Wut a classy bunch~!

                These guys are considered post rock I guess, but they are really jazzy. Their songs are pretty complex, and very awesome. I don't listen to these guys as much as I used to just because I listen to a much much larger number of bands. But they are extremely talented and I'd still consider them one of my very favorite bands. If you can, listen to their song Salt the Skies. It's a life changing experience.

                Mr Bungle



                A band that said fuck you to genres while they abused their ability to change from one genre to another rapidly creating songs that craft new genres in their wake and albums that give new meaning to the word music! Its a pity that all good bands break up, even though Mike Patton still makes music, because they only were able to release three albums before issues in the band stopped them from producing more music.

                and last but not least...

                50 Cent



                You can tell he is a real badass because of his big gun, or as sometimes it is called in ghetto communities, a gat! His music embodies gangsterism and energizes the youth of urban America! He is truely a pioneer in music.

                jk here is the real last one.

                The Alan Parsons Project



                Progressive rock fans rejoice, I have not forgotten thou. I don't have enough of Alan Parsons Project's music, but what I do have is genius. With almost all progressive rock I find, listening to the one song isn't enough, you must listen to the entire album at once to truly get the effect of the music, especially Alan Parsons Project.

                Comment

                • Specforces
                  Yes
                  • Jan 2004
                  • 5028

                  #83
                  Re: Music you may or may not know about

                  Amon Tobin is tits.

                  Jaime Foxx is now hot too.
                  Check Out My Music

                  Comment

                  • Moogy
                    嗚呼
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    • Aug 2003
                    • 10303

                    #84
                    Re: Music you may or may not know about

                    Originally posted by Hr2
                    Math rock I guess, these guys are great! They would be incredibly bad if they got themselves a singer though instead of just having instrumental songs
                    Fixed. Keep your idiotic lyrics out of 65dos.
                    Plz visit my blog

                    ^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved

                    Comment

                    • talisman
                      Resident Penguin
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      • May 2003
                      • 4598

                      #85
                      Re: Music you may or may not know about

                      total agreement with moogy.

                      also, they have more than two albums. although I guess that depends on how you're using the word "album".

                      Comment

                      • stretchypanda
                        shock me shock me
                        • Sep 2004
                        • 4123

                        #86
                        Re: Music you may or may not know about

                        Yay for Whorli. Massive Attack owns.

                        My absolute favorite band is Caroline's Spine -- a little rock band from the great state of Oklahoma. The lead singer has a great voice, I've met two of the bandmembers, and they've got great passion and great personality and absolutely love their fans.

                        Comment

                        • Torlock
                          FFR Player
                          • Jun 2004
                          • 475

                          #87
                          Re: Music you may or may not know about

                          Originally posted by Tasuke
                          The Aquabats
                          <3

                          Comment

                          • TheRapingDragon
                            A car crash mind
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 9788

                            #88
                            Re: Music you may or may not know about

                            jk here is the real last one.

                            The Alan Parsons Project

                            Progressive rock fans rejoice, I have not forgotten thou. I don't have enough of Alan Parsons Project's music, but what I do have is genius. With almost all progressive rock I find, listening to the one song isn't enough, you must listen to the entire album at once to truly get the effect of the music, especially Alan Parsons Project.
                            Only really fussed on the Tales of Mystery and Imagination album, but still damn good at times.

                            Ok I'll add in some bands that some people may or may not have heard of. All of the links I give are to music samples. In all parts just scroll down to the streaming media part.

                            Pain of Salvation - Great prog metal with a bit of everything.(http://www.progarchives.com/Progress...sp?band_id=284)

                            Porcupine Tree - Started out as psychadelic rock like pink floyd but gradually moved into prog rock with a bit of spacey'ness thrown in too, their older stuff is better (http://www.progarchives.com/Progress...sp?band_id=290

                            Flower Kings - Amazing Swedish symphonic prog music. Roine Stolt (lead singer) has worked with transatlantic, spocks beard, kaipa (3 good bands), did solo stuff and a ton of other stuff. Most of their albums they release are 2cd's. (http://www.progarchives.com/Progress...sp?band_id=110) - For that link, "In The Eyes Of The World" is one of my favourite songs from any band, ever.

                            Fantomas - Great avante garde music from Mike Patton (Faith No More, Mr Bungle - two other great bands), the stuff he can do with his voice is pretty stunning. One of their albums is a 75 minute "horror piece" about a surgery gone wrong, listening to it in the dark with headphones on is pretty sweet. Patton is actually said to be the modern day Frank Zappa due to his eccentricity, if you ever watch any videos of him you'll see why. (Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ljgk...earch=fantomas and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iyjr...earch=fantomas)

                            Premiata Forneria Marconi, Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, Deus Ex Machina. These are 3 Italian prog bands who are amazing. DEM sing in latin. PFM sort of pathed the way for most italian bands, and Banco are just amazing because they are.

                            Banco - http://www.progarchives.com/Progress...asp?band_id=36
                            Premiata - http://www.progarchives.com/Progress...sp?band_id=289
                            Deus - http://www.progarchives.com/Progress...asp?band_id=78

                            Some other honourable mentions (but not going into detail or getting songs):

                            Adagio (french prog metal, a bit like Rhapsody)
                            Riverside (swedish prog metal/symphonic in parts)
                            Asmegin (umm, don't know what to classify them as, they only released one album, get it)
                            Ayreon - (a ton of genres, mainly prog metal/symphonic stuff)
                            Ensiferum - "viking metal"
                            Finntroll - like ensiferum except probably easier to find music to listen to
                            Moonsorrow - Same as above two except with longer songs like 13 minutes etc.
                            Mahavishnu Orchestra - Great 70's Jazz Fusion, imagine liquid tension experiment except better.
                            Gong - Strange 70's band, don't know what to call them really.

                            Comment

                            • jewpinthethird
                              (The Fat's Sabobah)
                              FFR Music Producer
                              • Nov 2002
                              • 11711

                              #89
                              Re: Music you may or may not know about

                              Joanna Newsom


                              For some reason she reminds me of Bjork...probably because they both are terrible singers and are borderline insane. If it werent for the fact that they both happen to cute, they probably wouldn't be making music. But for some reason I really like the music both produce.

                              If I were to describe Joanna Newsom to someone, which coincidentally I am doing (maybe), I would say she sounds like a 6 year-old who can play the harp really well...because she sounds like a freaking 6 year-old. I'm not even exaggerating.

                              I didnt like Joanna Newsom the first time I heard her. In fact, I hated her and her stupid 6 year-old voice. My friends liked her music and to piss them off, I'd make fun of Joanna Newsom...because I am a jerk like that.

                              But tonight I was skimping through my mp3 collection and I came across one of her songs "Peach, Plum, Pear" and I totally fell in love with her music.

                              This is pretty much exactly the same why I became a fan of Bjork. I came across one of her songs I downloaded (totally legally) "Joga" and I immediately became a fan. Weird eh?

                              Genre: Folk/6 year-old girl with a harp.

                              Bjork

                              (Here's a picture of her with some kind of plant in her hair)

                              While I'm at it, I might as well say a little something about Bjork. She's from Iceland...and I guess people from Iceland are bat-sh*t insane. But nonetheless she makes some good tunes. Her earlier solo work is like...Experimental electronic/Trip-Hop. I suggest everyone listen to "Joga" since it is a really awesome song.
                              Last edited by jewpinthethird; 02-26-2006, 04:12 AM.

                              Comment

                              • jakegpv
                                FFR Player
                                • Feb 2006
                                • 8

                                #90
                                Re: Music you may or may not know about

                                Clap Your Hands Say Yeah is really good

                                Seve Vs. Evan, see for yourself:
                                myspace.com/sevevsevan

                                Jens Lekman

                                listen to that and give me feedback

                                Youth Group
                                Heard them opening for Death Cab one night
                                Very very good
                                Youth Group. 10,621 followers · 124 talking about this. Musician/band

                                listen to skeleton jar on the front page

                                Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins, its Rilo Kiley, just a little more folk but very enjoyable

                                Iron & Wine
                                now Wow, this is some of the best music ever

                                Click the "Launch Streaming Audio Player" in the top right corner

                                Comment

                                Working...