Music you may or may not know about

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • buuuh
    FFR Player
    • Oct 2005
    • 365

    #61
    CONTRIBUTION GET

    Electric 6


    I honestly have no idea if these guys are popular or not, but they weren't when I first started listening to them when their first album came out (ps their only good album is the first one, sadly)

    Okkervil River


    awesome indie band

    DeVotchka


    Fucking awesome band. I had the privelege of seeing them live and meeting the lead singer, and they give an absolutely AMAZING live show and the lead singer is a really cool dude.


    Comment

    • MalReynolds
      CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
      • Sep 2003
      • 6571

      #62
      Transatlantic.

      No pic.

      Mal
      "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

      "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor


      My new novel:

      Maledictions: The Offering.

      Now in Paperback!

      Comment

      • xiron
        FFR Player
        • Jan 2004
        • 189

        #63
        Ion Dissonance

        Awesome Canadian metalcore/mathcore band. Some heavy shit. The lyrics are awesome. They remind me of Fight Club.

        Gym Class Heroes

        One of the few hip hop acts I listen to. Rather than using prerecorded beats, they actually play music at their concerts. I saw them with Emery. The rapper is absolutely hilarious on stage. He does some random shit. I met him after the show, though, and he was a cool guy.

        Emperor

        Norweigan black metal band. Their first album is pretty much a wall of noise, but later on in the band's life they got a lot more melodic. Really cool keyboards and great vocals. My favorite album is Prometheus: The Empire of Fire and Demise.

        The Black Dahlia Murder

        Death/Black metal band from Michigan. I saw them in concert with As I Lay Dying. They put on a hell of a live show. Also, they had the balls to pose in their tightie-whities (albeit covered in blood) in Revolver Magazine. Great stuff.
        www.myspace.com/thehappyunicorns

        Comment

        • lord_carbo
          FFR Player
          • Dec 2004
          • 6222

          #64
          Jack's Mannequin

          Jack's Mannequin's profile including the latest music, albums, songs, music videos and more updates.


          Turn off the annoying music video because it conflicts with the little music console at the top. They have spiffy tunes. Listen.
          last.fm

          Comment

          • NaOTa4231
            FFR Player
            • Jun 2004
            • 743

            #65
            lord carbo.....you should check out something corporate. Andrew McMahon is also the lead singer for them.


            http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...ad.php?t=40490

            1 Million Posts ^^^^^^^^^^ 8 )

            Comment

            • nickadeemus
              The spice must flow.
              • Aug 2003
              • 807

              #66
              Two from the Seattle music scene:
              If you like Death Cab, give this guy a listen.
              Rocky Votolato


              These Arms Are Snakes

              These guys rule live, and their album isn't so bad either. Way harder than Rocky.
              Nice.

              Comment

              • Spazzbite
                FFR Simfile Author
                FFR Simfile Author
                • Jan 2003
                • 2181

                #67
                Jack's Mannequin

                Jack's Mannequin's profile including the latest music, albums, songs, music videos and more updates.


                Turn off the annoying music video because it conflicts with the little music console at the top. They have spiffy tunes. Listen.
                Jack's Mannequin plays A LOT in my town. Fantastic band

                Originally posted by Quicker
                shades don't break unless you break them.

                Comment

                • JurseyRider734
                  lil j the bad b-word
                  • Aug 2003
                  • 7507

                  #68
                  Jewpin: Sufjan Stevens is pretty good.

                  Attn: Prepare to encounter the greatest band...ever.

                  Portugal. the Man



                  All of their songs are amazing, but listen to AKA M80 the Wolf

                  Portugal. The Man's profile including the latest music, albums, songs, music videos and more updates.


                  also:

                  Dispatch (I don't listen to them much but they're good. Not together anymore. Listen to "The General")



                  Discover, share and connect with culture, creativity, sound, images and people.
                  Originally posted by Arch0wl
                  I'd better be considering I own roughly six textbooks on logic and have taken courses involving its extensive use

                  Originally posted by Afrobean
                  Originally Posted by JurseyRider734
                  the fact that you're resorting to threatening physical violence says a lot anyway.
                  Just that you're a piece of shit who can't see reason and instead deserves a fucking beating.

                  Comment

                  • jewpinthethird
                    (The Fat's Sabobah)
                    FFR Music Producer
                    • Nov 2002
                    • 11711

                    #69
                    Courtesy Knave


                    Probably the best with synthesizer ever. http://www.myspace.com/courtesyknave

                    Comment

                    • talisman
                      Resident Penguin
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      • May 2003
                      • 4598

                      #70
                      Lots of indie fans up in here. Not to say that I dislike indie... just that I avoid it because of its popularity. And by popularity, I mean popularity with everyone I know.

                      anyway

                      Kettel


                      This guy is good people... I just recently discovered him. From the Netherlands, really cool intricate and mellow IDM. I recommend it to all the braindance fans out there.

                      Frog Pocket

                      http://www.discogs.com/artist/Frog+Pocket
                      I've heard one album of his that was awesome, one that was kind of meh, and another that was also fairly awesome, but not as much as the first. Some really juicy stuff. Also IDM.

                      Plumbline

                      http://www.discogs.com/artist/Plumbline
                      He's only got like two albums but they're awesome. Really awesome.

                      Beefcake

                      http://www.beefcake.de/
                      Soooooo good. Really atmospheric stuff, I love it all. Sometimes I think duos make the best electronic music. With the exception of autechre, I guess.

                      Architect


                      Sichern Sie sich jetzt Ihre Wunschdomain! ✓ Sichere Zahlungsabwicklung ✓ Kompetentes Serviceteam ✓ Treuhändische Abwicklung

                      Really similar stuff to beefcake's, equally as awesome.

                      Oh and second on I Am a Robot and Proud and Plone. Even though I don't have as much Plone as I should.

                      Comment

                      • jewpinthethird
                        (The Fat's Sabobah)
                        FFR Music Producer
                        • Nov 2002
                        • 11711

                        #71
                        Originally posted by talisman
                        Oh and second on I Am a Robot and Proud and Plone. Even though I don't have as much Plone as I should.
                        Those two bands (and the Postal Service) make up the soundtrack of my junior year of high school.

                        Sage Francis


                        A rapping cracker? Good tunes though...most artists on Anticon are good.

                        Why?


                        Also on the Anticon label...though not a rapper. I would consider Why? experimental Pop/Folk rock.

                        Xploding Plastix


                        Really awesome IDM/Drum and Bass. I guessing many of you have heard of them before, but for those of you who dont, check them out. Really jazzy and energetic.

                        VHS or Beta


                        Basically, if you've heard one song by them, you've heard them all (kind of like Interpol). Dance friendly rock. But they have a few really good songs. "Alive" and "Dynamize" are probably their best tracks. They are kind of like the Cure minus the gay.

                        Comment

                        • xObserveRx
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          • Aug 2003
                          • 1148

                          #72
                          Ashes of Soma


                          They're well... a little hard to explain. They remind me of a few different bands actually. I think of a cross between Finger Eleven (If you know them) and Staind. I've known the drummer (dude on the right) since I was like 8 or 9. Played minor baseball with him for a good 7 years. We still talk now and then, but seeing as he's kinda busy now, it's a lot less often nowadays.
                          Come Play The Werewolf Game!

                          Comment

                          • xiron
                            FFR Player
                            • Jan 2004
                            • 189

                            #73
                            Sage Francis is good stuff. I've only heard a few songs though.
                            www.myspace.com/thehappyunicorns

                            Comment

                            • talisman
                              Resident Penguin
                              FFR Simfile Author
                              • May 2003
                              • 4598

                              #74
                              Foxy Shazam!

                              their myspace: http://www.myspace.com/foxyshazam
                              A good listen: http://i-see-sound.com/mp3/20051228/...lity_opera.mp3

                              Consider this a shameless plug for my friend's band from Cincinnati. (He's the keyboarder, far right in photo) The sound is hard to describe... it's hardcore, it's post-rock, it's semi-punk, it's somewhat metalcore.... I dunno. It's fun and they put on insane shows. Not quite nationally known yet but they probably will be.

                              Comment

                              • xiron
                                FFR Player
                                • Jan 2004
                                • 189

                                #75
                                Dude. That mp3 is freaking awesome.
                                www.myspace.com/thehappyunicorns

                                Comment

                                Working...