Should the Legacy genre no longer count towards public ranks?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • foxfire667
    The FFRchiver
    FFR Music Producer
    • Jun 2009
    • 2170

    #106
    Re: Should the Legacy genre no longer count towards public ranks?

    Originally posted by psychoangel691
    The quality of what's considered a good file has changed over the years, I wouldn't really call that subjective so much. The years wouldn't have to be broken as I had them, it was just a visual suggestion to give.

    I'm just one of those people that enjoy the older files way more than what's considered "technically correct" now. No offense meant to the stepauthors that have been making things recently because by no means am I saying the files are bad, they're just not for me. I like the old school styles of stepping and I'd hate to see these files keep getting pushed out of public ranks because they don't fit current standards and basically have no meaning in terms of ranking anymore. That's why I suggested some different possible breakdowns while still having a total overall ranking for all things on the site. I feel that would be one of the most fair options to do because then it's encompassing basically everything the game has to offer.
    Well I apologize for taking it a bit more concrete than an example. Of course acceptable stepping style has changed over the years and that isn't subjective, just not sure how well you could pinpoint exactly when varying styles became more / less acceptable in FFR's history. If that can be done fairly accurately, then that would be awesome, but I have no idea.

    I personally don't have problems with files that have older stepping styles, it's just sync that bothers me. If the notes are all nice and synced, then I really am not going to get in line to toss it to the sidelines or anything. I am legitimately curious though, when playing an older stepped file, does sync play a part in how enjoyable you feel it is?

    Also, I wish you the best of luck with the delivery, and things are a little less stressful for you in the near future.
    SM pack archiver | 1.5 Billion Club | Etterna Online: [Register]

    Comment

    • psychoangel691
      Retired Staff
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Dec 2004
      • 10438

      #107
      Re: Should the Legacy genre no longer count towards public ranks?

      Just meant the pm/im thing based on the irrelevant covo so it wasn't here. At this point when it comes to the legacy debate there's nothing left to be said from my pov that I can think of.

      Originally posted by foxfire667
      Well I apologize for taking it a bit more concrete than an example. Of course acceptable stepping style has changed over the years and that isn't subjective, just not sure how well you could pinpoint exactly when varying styles became more / less acceptable in FFR's history. If that can be done fairly accurately, then that would be awesome, but I have no idea.

      I personally don't have problems with files that have older stepping styles, it's just sync that bothers me. If the notes are all nice and synced, then I really am not going to get in line to toss it to the sidelines or anything. I am legitimately curious though, when playing an older stepped file, does sync play a part in how enjoyable you feel it is?

      Also, I wish you the best of luck with the delivery, and things are a little less stressful for you in the near future.
      I'm one of those people that aren't affected by sync. It actually kinda annoys AJ because I can play any of the offsync files and still score well (unless it's something too difficult for my range of course). For me how enjoyable a file is comes down to the flow and feel of the patterns. I've always been what would be the oddball player on ffr I suppose. I like the things most people seem to hate. I enjoy files with a lot of color more than any other file in game and things like poly-rhythms are easy to me. Idk it's how I've been for years I mean hell I've been here for like almost 9 years now and that's just with an account that doesn't count the time playing prior to having an account.
      Last edited by psychoangel691; 08-3-2013, 07:30 PM.
      Originally posted by Charu
      My dick is good, thank you very much. It gets love and attention no matter what <3 <3 <3
      Originally posted by DaBackpack
      also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
      Originally posted by Shadow_God_10
      Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

      Originally posted by hi19hi19
      yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl

      Comment

      • SK8R43
        D7 Elite Keymasher
        • Jan 2008
        • 4684

        #108
        Re: Should the Legacy genre no longer count towards public ranks?

        lol this is just pointless, they are fine as is, why do they need to be moved? Legacy songs are a part of the game just like all the other songs and should remain so. Just because they are offsinc does not mean they should be moved. Yes, i understand they were the first songs ingame, were they supposed to be good? You cant just remove them because they are "bad" NOW. In the future are we going to have "legit" songs removed because peoples ways of stepping has evolved and they have become "bad"? Seriously they should just be left alone.

        /2cents

        Also, they are a challenge and a different kind of skill. If you really care about your ranks THAT badly then you will work towards AAAing all of them.
        Last edited by SK8R43; 08-3-2013, 07:41 PM.
        Thee Burstinator
        sigpic

        Comment

        • TheSaxRunner05
          The Doctor
          • Apr 2006
          • 6144

          #109
          Re: Should the Legacy genre no longer count towards public ranks?

          The two people who said they clicked the wrong item by the way (who posted about it) clicked no instead of yes, by the way. Also, FFR is not a democracy, and I don't believe it should be easily manipulated by bandwagoning.
          Originally posted by foxfire667
          If a large amount of FFR users appeal a certain file for reevaluation, then it would be put in a judging queue. It would then go through the equivalent of what a file submitted through a batch would endure, and if it passes, it's left alone. If it fails, it would be put in a re-stepping queue, where users have the change to re-step the file (most likely around the same difficulty range if possible) and replace the older file in the public ranks.
          This is a terrible idea. There are too many jacks in fei longer, let's restep it. The 16th trill in blooddrunk is out of place, let's restep it. Middie stepped a file, let's restep it. This runningmen pattern feels to awkward, let's restep it. These bursts or too akward, let's restep it. Allowing bandwagoning edits to post-BNS/Tapped in steps would be going way to far.

          I draw the line of possible resteps at the BNS charts that were tapped into a stepfile from a keyboard. I realize that people who draw the line in a different place using the same argument, but at least stepping greatly improved after the previous keypad-playing entered charts, especially after charts had to be peer reviewed before entering the game.
          Last edited by TheSaxRunner05; 08-3-2013, 08:40 PM. Reason: clarity


          Comment

          • foxfire667
            The FFRchiver
            FFR Music Producer
            • Jun 2009
            • 2170

            #110
            Re: Should the Legacy genre no longer count towards public ranks?

            Originally posted by TheSaxRunner05
            This is a terrible idea. There are too many jacks in fei longer, let's restep it. The 16th trill in blooddrunk is out of place, let's restep it. Middie stepped a file, let's restep it. This runningmen pattern feels to awkward, let's restep it. These bursts or too akward, let's restep it. Allowing bandwagoning edits to post-BNS/Tapped in steps would be going way to far.
            Just because people want to push a song forward for reevaluation, doesn't mean it is guaranteed a re-step. The idea was for the community to identify files they feel would not fit FFR, and for the current judges to actually look over it as if it were a file in a batch. If the community and the judges agree the file is not up to par, only then would such an option take place. I guess people could make stupid choices for reevaluation, but then the judges would pass it and absolutely nothing would happen.

            Wouldn't worry about it though, as it was entirely hypothetical, and wasn't a legitimate suggestion I was expecting people to actually defend / oppose in terms of actually happening. It was just something in response to having files outside of the legacy genre that people may consider bad removed from public ranks. This thread will crawl away into the shadows soon, and then we can all rest easy until another game changing idea pops up again to meet the same fate as this one, and the ones before it.
            SM pack archiver | 1.5 Billion Club | Etterna Online: [Register]

            Comment

            Working...