FFR 7th Official Tournament Songs Discussion: Round 7
Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
-
-
Re: FFR 7th Official Tournament Songs Discussion: Round 7
I too loved the nostalgic feel of Gargoyle. Gravity Blast is a pretty fun file as well. I just wish it was a bit harder (like high master/low guru), but that's probably because I've played icy's version in nuclear blast 2 quite a lot.Comment
-
Re: FFR 7th Official Tournament Songs Discussion: Round 7
D1: Nostalgic but that jack is ****ing troll as shit
D2: kinda bluh chart. Not my cup of tea
D3: I'm torn on it. I like the cool use of the 192nds, love the density of the song vs the music, HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE those trill things what the **** dude
D4: Why wasn't this used in Flamingo's place? This chart is ****in' awesome
D5: Certainly not a fun experience. Please stop stepping like this Doss.
D6: After play testing it, I still standby what I said originally. It's not really fun and has lots of stuff I outright disagree with.Last edited by Xx{Midnight}xX; 08-19-2012, 09:27 PM.Comment
-
Re: FFR 7th Official Tournament Songs Discussion: Round 7
^^^Originally posted by Xx{Midnight}xXHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE those trill things what the **** dudeComment
-
Re: FFR 7th Official Tournament Songs Discussion: Round 7
What round was My Favorite Shoes for? I know I'm not that far behind...Comment
-
Re: FFR 7th Official Tournament Songs Discussion: Round 7
It was supposed to be for this round, for Division 2. The file was misrated, and as a result ended up being too easy for the division. The general trend seems to be that nearly all divisions are performing way better than anticipated.Comment
-
Re: FFR 7th Official Tournament Songs Discussion: Round 7
I actually really enjoy System Doctor - and the file is WAY too difficult for me. I can certainly understand some of the earlier complaints as I'm not a strong enough player to make some of the judgments that the D6 players were making, but I actually enjoy all the rolls and random hands etc. Maybe I just enjoy torture.
Gravity Blast is AMAZING. My favorite release of all the tournament songs so far.Comment
-
Re: FFR 7th Official Tournament Songs Discussion: Round 7
System Doctor reminds me of DeVouR.
That's not really a compliment :/
I've noticed that spitfire's patterns flow really well at VC/FMO speeds, but at massively fast BPMs like System Doctor and do i smile, the patterns are not as flowing to hit. Too many 8th anchors on 1 and 4 IMO, but hey that's just me. Not a technically bad file, just not fun...
p.s. personally I hate the "oh fuq here it comes" part of difficulty spikes. File difficulty is rated by the hardest part of the file, and to have all the rest be "filler" sort of seems like a waste. You either have elite players who are bored for 90% of a chart then rage at the 10% hard part, or less experienced players who enjoy 90% of the chart but then never play it again because of some bullshit part they can't even comprehend. Why alienate either group, just make it fairly consistent. There are other ways to make a file memorable besides massive difficulty spikes.Last edited by hi19hi19; 08-20-2012, 12:35 PM.Comment
-
Comment
-
Re: FFR 7th Official Tournament Songs Discussion: Round 7
I do and I don't. I'm not trying to harp on System Doctor anymore and I feel a little bad about how I was acting when the song came out (apologies to _.Spitfire._ and bmah), but I do want to use it to make a great point. System Doctor is frustratingly difficult. Yes, the patterns are incredibly harsh, and nearly impossible to AAA, but that's not the sole reason why the file is hated so much. The reason why the file is so poorly received is because of two big reasons: 1.) prior to the ending, the file is (comparatively) very easy, which means a large majority of players will do very well until the end and will get trashed, which is incredibly discouraging, and 2.) the ending is where the extreme is, and it's incredibly short. Let me delve into the second idea really quick.
p.s. personally I hate the "oh fuq here it comes" part of difficulty spikes. File difficulty is rated by the hardest part of the file, and to have all the rest be "filler" sort of seems like a waste. You either have elite players who are bored for 90% of a chart then rage at the 10% hard part, or less experienced players who enjoy 90% of the chart but then never play it again because of some bullshit part they can't even comprehend. Why alienate either group, just make it fairly consistent. There are other ways to make a file memorable besides massive difficulty spikes.
Let's compare two ._Spitfire_. files that I feel are on the opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to fun factor. do i smile? and System Doctor are very comparable and very different at the same time. One on end, you have two songs that are 250 BPM (albeit, do i smile peaks far above that). On the other, both charts have an entirely different reception. A lot of people like do i smile? -- I've had some pretty terrible luck with it but I still can't help but love it and I always will. do i smile? is INCREDIBLY nerve-wracking. The file builds up higher and higher in difficulty, climaxes at a ridiculous ~21.3 NPS stream with no way around cheating it, and hits the nail on the player's coffin with a 4th note roll that peaks at 2000 BPM (actually: 2100, but for a split second, and I would know because ._Spitfire_. used my sync for the song, lol). After you get through ALL of that, guess what? You have to deal with 45 MORE seconds of nasty pattern transitions, heavy jump usage, occasional 16th bursts of jumps, and a roll wall.
I actually had the opportunity to AAA do i smile, and let me tell you something, when I got past the huge 4th note roll with a perfect score, I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I managed to hang on until 1900 before my computer decided to toss me a boo that wasn't me, and I picked up one good at the end. It was such an amazing feeling, followed by great disappointment.
I've made it to the end of System Doctor with the AAA many times, and even on the runs where I nearly snagged a AAA/1g run, I never felt any nerves. You never know if you're going to hit the hardest parts of the song, so it's hard to feel nervous if you can never be sure that you'll hit that final section. It's very luck-heavy.Comment
-
Re: FFR 7th Official Tournament Songs Discussion: Round 7
Comment
-
Re: FFR 7th Official Tournament Songs Discussion: Round 7
so why isnt there a front page post yet


Comment
-
Re: FFR 7th Official Tournament Songs Discussion: Round 7
Because Jae's computer is sucking 37 dicks.Originally posted by thesunfanI literally spent 10 minutes in the library looking for the TWG forum on Smogon and couldn't find it what the fuck is this witchcraft IGR
Comment
-
Re: FFR 7th Official Tournament Songs Discussion: Round 7
The speedcore part of system doctor used to be a lot harder, so I suppose that would've been more equal if it was still that hard but that had to be toned down so whatever. I already explained why I kept the 4th sections as "easy" as they are right now (they're not -that- easy imo, you guys must realise you're top tier players and most players are not). It's mainly because it felt like it has more of a kick to it that way and if I used 8ths (I tried before) it doesn't feel like it's following the song at all. If the feeling of hitting those kicks like a boss didn't come across, then I'm sorry you don't feel that way. That was basically the concept of this file. I suppose I should have toned down the ending a bit too though.I do and I don't. I'm not trying to harp on System Doctor anymore and I feel a little bad about how I was acting when the song came out (apologies to _.Spitfire._ and bmah), but I do want to use it to make a great point. System Doctor is frustratingly difficult. Yes, the patterns are incredibly harsh, and nearly impossible to AAA, but that's not the sole reason why the file is hated so much. The reason why the file is so poorly received is because of two big reasons: 1.) prior to the ending, the file is (comparatively) very easy, which means a large majority of players will do very well until the end and will get trashed, which is incredibly discouraging, and 2.) the ending is where the extreme is, and it's incredibly short. Let me delve into the second idea really quick.
Let's compare two ._Spitfire_. files that I feel are on the opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to fun factor. do i smile? and System Doctor are very comparable and very different at the same time. One on end, you have two songs that are 250 BPM (albeit, do i smile peaks far above that). On the other, both charts have an entirely different reception. A lot of people like do i smile? -- I've had some pretty terrible luck with it but I still can't help but love it and I always will. do i smile? is INCREDIBLY nerve-wracking. The file builds up higher and higher in difficulty, climaxes at a ridiculous ~21.3 NPS stream with no way around cheating it, and hits the nail on the player's coffin with a 4th note roll that peaks at 2000 BPM (actually: 2100, but for a split second, and I would know because ._Spitfire_. used my sync for the song, lol). After you get through ALL of that, guess what? You have to deal with 45 MORE seconds of nasty pattern transitions, heavy jump usage, occasional 16th bursts of jumps, and a roll wall.
I actually had the opportunity to AAA do i smile, and let me tell you something, when I got past the huge 4th note roll with a perfect score, I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I managed to hang on until 1900 before my computer decided to toss me a boo that wasn't me, and I picked up one good at the end. It was such an amazing feeling, followed by great disappointment.
I've made it to the end of System Doctor with the AAA many times, and even on the runs where I nearly snagged a AAA/1g run, I never felt any nerves. You never know if you're going to hit the hardest parts of the song, so it's hard to feel nervous if you can never be sure that you'll hit that final section. It's very luck-heavy.
As far as your outbursts, I was surprised at your reaction and I thought it was very rude, but apology accepted. :J
I don't know if I necessarily agree with you. Pandora for example, despite being dense as **** and very fast, flows pretty well imo. Just a matter of what you've trained on I guess.System Doctor reminds me of DeVouR.
That's not really a compliment :/
I've noticed that spitfire's patterns flow really well at VC/FMO speeds, but at massively fast BPMs like System Doctor and do i smile, the patterns are not as flowing to hit. Too many 8th anchors on 1 and 4 IMO, but hey that's just me. Not a technically bad file, just not fun...
p.s. personally I hate the "oh fuq here it comes" part of difficulty spikes. File difficulty is rated by the hardest part of the file, and to have all the rest be "filler" sort of seems like a waste. You either have elite players who are bored for 90% of a chart then rage at the 10% hard part, or less experienced players who enjoy 90% of the chart but then never play it again because of some bullshit part they can't even comprehend. Why alienate either group, just make it fairly consistent. There are other ways to make a file memorable besides massive difficulty spikes.
About the difficulty spikes, I happen to like difficulty spikes most of the time and there are plenty of others too. I don't consider the rest around it a waste. You're looking at it the wrong way imo, since you focus on hating the difficulty spikes rather than enjoy the file as a whole. Example of a really fun chart with a big difficulty spike in the middle is Nemosta's DMYK edit. Despite it being impossible for me to FC the middle part with my current skill, it's fun as ****. Same can be said for a lot of charts like Cetaka's Magical 8bit Tour, yesssss' Almost There, bmah's honki sentai majirenjaa -MAJI eurobeat version- or My Spirit Will Go On.
difficulty spikes keep you on your toes and force you to not let your guard down. I find that they are usually memorable too. If a file is consistently hard it gets boring imo, since all you're doing (granted you're at a good enough skill level) is keeping up the pace that's set throughout the entire file. I find difficulty spikes add some extra spice to a file. I know there are other ways to make files memorable, and I don't always have a difficulty spike (see rage template or ambient angels for example which are much more progressive climax) but I step the way I want to see the song stepped and the way I like it. If a difficulty spike bothers you that much, I think you're playing for the wrong reasons.
Regardless, I know several people who really enjoy System Doctor and they outnumber the people who dislike System Doctor. It's just that the people who don't like it are more vocal about it. I step my files the way I like them myself and if you don't like it, then it's not a file meant for you. :PLast edited by Nullifidian; 08-20-2012, 06:24 PM.
Comment












Comment