Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TC_Halogen
    Rhythm game specialist.
    FFR Simfile Author
    FFR Music Producer
    • Feb 2008
    • 19376

    #31
    Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

    Thank you guys for the positive reception on Into Your Eyes.

    To be quite honest, I am a little surprised to see so many people preferring Into Your Eyes over Beatrice. Beatrice was an excellent file and I almost feel like it's being overshadowed; speaking impartially, I very much feel like Beatrice and Futari, Hajimari. are more enjoyable/fun than Into Your Eyes is.

    Move It Groove It (Standard): The mini-jacks in the chorus are a nice touch and follow the lyrics really nicely. The jumps for the echoed synth just before the final chorus was a really cool addition that I never even considered in my Heavy chart, haha. Clever structure.

    Futari, Hajimari: Such a great song, and the chart is fantastic to boot. The small flourishes of 32nds and occasional grace notes really match the song's energetic feel; despite being an easier chart, Futari is incredibly fun to play. In addition, the song is just awesome.

    Beatrice: One of the four "diamonds" in the last batch, Beatrice really just brings all of the elements of a fantastic stepfile into a very small two minute package. The pattern fluency is great, the layering is perfect, the pitch relevance is nice and the file just never seems to let down/get boring. Fantastic file and anyone who had criticisms about your charting style certainly can't pull those same critiques now.

    Into Your Eyes: own file. Five minutes of drumstep with many elements intended to trip you up. Speaking impartially away from my own file, I would say that this is the third best file of the round (putting Futari as second and Beatrice as first).

    Crow's Ghost: My least favorite file of the round. However, it's not a bad chart under any circumstance -- certainly overcharted, but done so in a way that is very consistent. This chart certainly packs a punch in terms of difficulty, and the difficulty spike at the end of the file definitely makes it replayable. Will I play this file and try to take it down? Sure. Will I enjoy trying to take it down? Taking down an 81 always feels nice, so yes. Will I play it again after AAAing it? Probably not.

    Infinity: This chart is absolutely brutal. The jumpstreams on their own pose a lot of difficulty due to some incredibly split-heavy patterns, and to make matters even worse, the jumpstreams are VERY long. If you felt like the jumpstreams were cake, you're forced to contend with large gluts of 190 BPM 12th note jumps, some of which anchor for short distances; if THAT wasn't bad enough, the piano solo just trashes you with some a nasty near-paradiddle jack pattern. After I AAA this one, I will -never- play it on FFR again, that's for damn sure. However, I will definitely keep playing it on SM, where it belongs.

    Comment

    • qqwref
      stepmania archaeologist
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Aug 2005
      • 4092

      #32
      Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

      Originally posted by TC_Halogen
      Crow's Ghost: [...] the difficulty spike at the end of the file definitely makes it replayable [...] Will I play it again after AAAing it? Probably not.
      That's not what people usually mean when they say a file is replayable It's usually meant as 'fun to play over and over again' rather than 'may take me a few tries to AAA'. And remember that the vast majority of people are not going to just AAA it and be done... so idk, kind of mean to put a file like this ingame when almost nobody will enjoy it after a week or two.
      Best AAA: Policy In The Sky [Oni] (81)
      Best SDG: PANTS (86)
      Best FC: Future Invasion (93)

      Comment

      • DossarLX ODI
        Batch Manager
        Game Manager
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Mar 2008
        • 15013

        #33
        Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

        Originally posted by hi19hi19
        oh boy, it's STIFF, I'll stretch before I sit down at the computer so not I'm not as STIFF next time I step a file

        Comment

        • Xx{Midnight}xX
          FFR Player
          • Aug 2007
          • 8548

          #34
          Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

          Originally posted by qqwref
          It's usually meant as 'fun to play over and over again' rather than 'may take me a few tries to AAA'.
          True word man. Very true words. If it isn't fun, it's not worth replaying for more than a statistic.

          Like I said earlier, the chart is [very] memorable for the wrong reasons.

          Originally posted by qqwref
          so idk, kind of mean to put a file like this ingame when almost nobody will enjoy it after a week or two.
          Oh my god yes thank you.

          I'd lower that time table to more like a week maximum though. But close enough.

          Comment

          • igotrhythm
            Fractals!
            • Sep 2004
            • 6535

            #35
            Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

            Originally posted by DossarLX ODI
            Well said, Professor Dossballs.
            Originally posted by thesunfan
            I literally spent 10 minutes in the library looking for the TWG forum on Smogon and couldn't find it what the fuck is this witchcraft IGR

            Comment

            • TC_Halogen
              Rhythm game specialist.
              FFR Simfile Author
              FFR Music Producer
              • Feb 2008
              • 19376

              #36
              Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

              Originally posted by DossarLX ODI
              Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, haha. I did that voluntarily and actually wasn't sure if I should have.

              I didn't want to make it full three-framers, nor did I want to have an inconsistency (it was 2-2-3 before). At 190 BPM, neither solution is right because it's in the middle of the clean BPMs for 16ths (150 for 3, 225 for 2).

              It's certainly worthy of a FFFFFFF moment, just like some of the bursts of Into Your Eyes are FFFFFFF because 165 BPM is the worst BPM to even attempt frame fixes on and I never want to do it again.

              EDIT:
              Originally posted by qqwref
              That's not what people usually mean when they say a file is replayable It's usually meant as 'fun to play over and over again' rather than 'may take me a few tries to AAA'. And remember that the vast majority of people are not going to just AAA it and be done... so idk, kind of mean to put a file like this ingame when almost nobody will enjoy it after a week or two.
              qqwref: I meant replayable for others in the initial context, not for myself. It's got a replay factor for those trying to improve because the ending is considerably harder and is worthy of practicing. For a current tournament player, or any D5 player, the ending is rewarding to handle. However, it doesn't faze me in terms of difficulty, and the overall structure makes me not want to play it.

              With that being said -- others might enjoy the file because of the huge difficulty increase at the end (insert "oh shit" factor here) while others might not be a fan of how it's charted (insert "this is a dump" here). I fall in between, slightly away from dump because I don't believe this is a dump file, just one that is overly-aggressive.
              Last edited by TC_Halogen; 02-20-2013, 08:10 PM.

              Comment

              • DossarLX ODI
                Batch Manager
                Game Manager
                FFR Simfile Author
                • Mar 2008
                • 15013

                #37
                Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

                Just for future reference, 190 bpm snaps better to an 180 bpm interval than a 225 interval. You basically have a RATO speed jack there that most players are going to barely hit as all 3 framers to AAA with transitions in and outside of out.

                Edit: That interval also makes for two 4 frame 8th jacks in a row. You turned that part into 225 bpm literally, lmfao
                Originally posted by hi19hi19
                oh boy, it's STIFF, I'll stretch before I sit down at the computer so not I'm not as STIFF next time I step a file

                Comment

                • One Winged Angel
                  Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
                  FFR Simfile Author
                  • Mar 2007
                  • 10837

                  #38
                  Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

                  Originally posted by DossarLX ODI
                  Just for future reference, 190 bpm snaps better to an 180 bpm interval than a 225 interval.
                  ???

                  150bpm = 16ths always three frames apart
                  225bpm = 16ths always two frames apart

                  Anything in between those BPMs will be some sort of messy combination of two and three frame intervals


                  Originally posted by ilikexd
                  i want to be cucked by cirno

                  Comment

                  • qqwref
                    stepmania archaeologist
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    • Aug 2005
                    • 4092

                    #39
                    Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

                    180 bpm = 16ths alternate 2-frame and 3-frame intervals, all 8th intervals are 5 frames.

                    It's not as clean as 150 or 225 but it's still a very stable pattern.
                    Best AAA: Policy In The Sky [Oni] (81)
                    Best SDG: PANTS (86)
                    Best FC: Future Invasion (93)

                    Comment

                    • DossarLX ODI
                      Batch Manager
                      Game Manager
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      • Mar 2008
                      • 15013

                      #40
                      Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

                      I'm talking about 8th notes. 5 frames apart = 180 bpm 8th notes. In that part with the 3 note 2 frame jack, there are two 4-frame 8th notes, turning it into a 225 BPM section for that short burst of time.

                      Not trying to sound mean or anything, but that speeds it up tremendously from 190.
                      Originally posted by hi19hi19
                      oh boy, it's STIFF, I'll stretch before I sit down at the computer so not I'm not as STIFF next time I step a file

                      Comment

                      • Dynam0
                        The Dominator
                        • Sep 2005
                        • 8987

                        #41
                        Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

                        that spot kills me...framers aside and all it's a bitch pattern no matter the spacing imo

                        Comment

                        • One Winged Angel
                          Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          • Mar 2007
                          • 10837

                          #42
                          Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

                          Do you guys actually change the BPMs of certain sections when doing frame fixes? I thought you just manually tweaked notes a frame forwards or backwards if it was a messy conversion and the BPM allowed for that spacing.


                          Originally posted by ilikexd
                          i want to be cucked by cirno

                          Comment

                          • DossarLX ODI
                            Batch Manager
                            Game Manager
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            • Mar 2008
                            • 15013

                            #43
                            Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

                            In this case that part goes to 225 for those 5 notes, which is a weird transition that never happens even in normal conversion at 190 BPM. That part probably feels really awkward because of the sudden speedup, haha.
                            Originally posted by hi19hi19
                            oh boy, it's STIFF, I'll stretch before I sit down at the computer so not I'm not as STIFF next time I step a file

                            Comment

                            • TC_Halogen
                              Rhythm game specialist.
                              FFR Simfile Author
                              FFR Music Producer
                              • Feb 2008
                              • 19376

                              #44
                              Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

                              Originally posted by One Winged Angel
                              Do you guys actually change the BPMs of certain sections when doing frame fixes? I thought you just manually tweaked notes a frame forwards or backwards if it was a messy conversion and the BPM allowed for that spacing.
                              I don't change BPMs for certain sections at all. I check the distance between whatever the notation is and pick the most appropriate instance. In this case, I made three taps, all two frames apart, making the 8th note distance four frames apart rather. There are other unfixed areas that do the same thing, though. The distance between four and five frames varies, but it seems to be more frequent as four frames (checking 1/8th distance from 4ths and 8ths as well as offbeat 16ths).

                              Comment

                              • qqwref
                                stepmania archaeologist
                                FFR Simfile Author
                                • Aug 2005
                                • 4092

                                #45
                                Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

                                Originally posted by One Winged Angel
                                Do you guys actually change the BPMs of certain sections when doing frame fixes?
                                As far as the FFR file itself is concerned, there's no such thing as BPM.

                                Originally posted by TC_Halogen
                                In this case, I made three taps, all two frames apart, making the 8th note distance four frames apart rather. There are other unfixed areas that do the same thing, though. The distance between four and five frames varies, but it seems to be more frequent as four frames
                                I think (but am not sure) that Dossar's talking about a section of more than those three notes that runs at the equivalent of 225 bpm. FWIW 190 bpm 8ths work out to about 4.74 frames, that is, they will be 4 frames about 26% of the time and 5 frames about 74% of the time.
                                Best AAA: Policy In The Sky [Oni] (81)
                                Best SDG: PANTS (86)
                                Best FC: Future Invasion (93)

                                Comment

                                Working...