Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Plan_Bsk81127
    snooches
    FFR Simfile Author
    • Aug 2007
    • 6420

    #76
    Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

    Originally posted by TC_Halogen
    (arguably) the best simfile artist on the site (referring to bmah)
    easily one of worst /opinion

    Comment

    • TC_Halogen
      Rhythm game specialist.
      FFR Simfile Author
      FFR Music Producer
      • Feb 2008
      • 19376

      #77
      Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

      Easily works with me too, the only bmah file I hate playing is Music (for Kirby) and it's only because I'm an amateur and can't do 16th jacks, lol.

      More than half of the files I play for leisure are bmah files because they have something that make them worth playing, haha.

      Comment

      • qqwref
        stepmania archaeologist
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Aug 2005
        • 4092

        #78
        Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

        Originally posted by TC_Halogen
        I'm an amateur and can't do 16th jacks, lol
        Originally posted by TC_Halogen
        More than half of the files I play for leisure are bmah files
        Originally posted by TC_Halogen
        bmah files [...] have something that make them worth playing
        Okay, now I *know* you're not serious. You got me though, I believed you all the way up to this post ;D
        Best AAA: Policy In The Sky [Oni] (81)
        Best SDG: PANTS (86)
        Best FC: Future Invasion (93)

        Comment

        • TC_Halogen
          Rhythm game specialist.
          FFR Simfile Author
          FFR Music Producer
          • Feb 2008
          • 19376

          #79
          Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

          Originally posted by qqwref
          Okay, now I *know* you're not serious. You got me though, I believed you all the way up to this post ;D
          It's pretty pathetic that you have to manipulate what I say to bring your point across, trolling or not -- it's pretty clear I've made my point and you have nothing to say.

          I've said what I needed to; please, continue to make yourself look bad arguing with people who know more than you ever will when it comes to simfiling

          Comment

          • bmah
            shots FIRED
            Profile Moderator
            FFR Simfile Author
            Global Moderator
            • Oct 2003
            • 8448

            #80
            Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

            Originally posted by qqwref
            That's like saying that beauty isn't a factor in music, just a product of a good balance of technical talent, because to say that someone could add a certain amount of technicality vs beauty in a song makes the assumption that a composer is deliberately not making their song beautiful.
            Yes, so don't use the term "fun factor" please! There is no "beauty factor" in music, as that is completely derived from your own opinions on the music. Quite often, people say "the stepper should've been more focused on making the file "fun" when really they're just tailoring that statement to their own opinion, even if it's largely agreed upon by several others. "Fun" is a product. I'm being rather semantical on the terms here, because a lot of people -are- misusing those terms as if the stepper did make a choice to ignore "fun". As you said, it isn't a deliberate choice.

            Originally posted by qqwref
            However, I do wish that creators of unfun files would take the criticism constructively and try to actually improve, rather than becoming angry or responding that they don't care, like some people on this site.
            I agree.
            Last edited by bmah; 02-26-2013, 05:32 PM.

            Comment

            • Hakulyte
              aka Haku
              • Jul 2005
              • 4697

              #81
              Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

              bmah, I hate your files and that's why I like them. \o

              Question to simfile artists: What's fun factor for you? /in before essays
              Last edited by Hakulyte; 02-26-2013, 05:46 PM.

              Comment

              • Plan_Bsk81127
                snooches
                FFR Simfile Author
                • Aug 2007
                • 6420

                #82
                Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

                Originally posted by TC_Halogen
                I've said what I needed to; please, continue to make yourself look bad arguing with people who know more than you ever will when it comes to simfiling
                Do you plan on applying this top tier simfile knowledge you have to your charts anytime soon?

                Comment

                • dore
                  caveman pornstar
                  FFR Simfile Author
                  FFR Music Producer
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 6317

                  #83
                  Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

                  Originally posted by Hakulyte
                  Question to simfile artists: What's fun factor for you? /in before essays
                  I don't really play for score anymore and haven't for a while, so my opinions on files have probably diverged from the larger community, but anyway:

                  I have the most fun with a file when the chart makes me interact with the music in a meaningful way. I want to feel like I'm struggling to keep up when the music gets intense and I'm relaxing when the music is more calm. If I'm just hitting notes that are in the music then it's not really fun, but if I'm able to follow the flow of the music then it appeals to me.

                  Very meta I know, and I think that's why some of my files don't come off well for other players sometimes, because I let how I personally feel the music flows and trying to portray that within the chart dictate charting decisions which might not make sense if you have a different interpretation of the music. That's also why I tend to whore out a limited range of artists because I go with what I like at the time
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IREnpHco9mw

                  Comment

                  • bmah
                    shots FIRED
                    Profile Moderator
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    Global Moderator
                    • Oct 2003
                    • 8448

                    #84
                    Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

                    Originally posted by Hakulyte
                    Question to simfile artists: What's fun factor for you? /in before essays

                    Comment

                    • TC_Halogen
                      Rhythm game specialist.
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      FFR Music Producer
                      • Feb 2008
                      • 19376

                      #85
                      Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

                      Originally posted by Plan_Bsk81127
                      Do you plan on applying this top tier simfile knowledge you have to your charts anytime soon?
                      Nah, I don't want people stealing my ~tOp tIeR tHeOrIeS~

                      p.s. everyone should read Carlos' post, which was linked by bmah just above me

                      Comment

                      • Xx{Midnight}xX
                        FFR Player
                        • Aug 2007
                        • 8548

                        #86
                        Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

                        Originally posted by Hakulyte
                        Question to simfile artists: What's fun factor for you? /in before essays
                        The chart needs to suit the song, flow well, and make pretty common sense. Simple is better mostly. There's also a lot of fun to be had when using graces to emphasize sections (Such as in Flesvelka is an example of most of these combined into one.)

                        I'm also a ****** lover of 24ths and graces. These are like <3 when done right.

                        Pretty much a chart like Twister is perfect.

                        1. It easily suits the song with a lot of times where you have mini trills and have to twist hand position a lot.
                        2. The song is incredibly memorable.
                        3. It flows like godsends. My god the flow. There's no ONE part that is harder than the rest, it has nothing to memorize in terms of sections to be weary of.
                        4. The chart makes really basic sense. A newer stepper could more than likely open this up, slow it to .5 and realize exactly what's going on.
                        5. Not something I am gonna AAA first try.

                        Originally posted by Plan_Bsk81127
                        Do you plan on applying this top tier simfile knowledge you have to your charts anytime soon?
                        lol

                        Originally posted by TC_Halogen
                        Nah, I don't want people stealing my ~tOp tIeR tHeOrIeS~
                        Too late, I stole a bunch. Secretly. Somehow. Someway. Expect them.

                        Comment

                        • hi19hi19
                          lol happy
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 12194

                          #87
                          Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

                          This kind of thread is why I stopped stepping for a while you kids are all hella obnoxious. Especially facepalmed at AJ trying to write off qqwref like that, what are you 5 years old? Oh no a guy is talking about what he likes in files, better shit talk the fact he doesn't have many files in FFR that'll put him in his place.

                          Just snap at each other endlessly instead of trying to improve... I don't like most of bmah's files at all but I respect him for being one of the few people who seems to accept constructive criticism occasionally instead of being defensive 24/7.

                          I took the time to make a "reflection" on my own files on my profile so that I could think of what went wrong with each file, not just to pat my own back about the successes I had. It's a trend I'm glad to see people pick up. Spend more time thinking about what you can do better.
                          Disclaimer: obviously I'm not perfect about this but damn this thread is like, full-on cancer
                          Last edited by hi19hi19; 02-26-2013, 09:29 PM.


                          Comment

                          • TC_Halogen
                            Rhythm game specialist.
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            FFR Music Producer
                            • Feb 2008
                            • 19376

                            #88
                            Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

                            Especially facepalmed at AJ trying to write off qqwref like that, what are you 5 years old?
                            because I totally wasn't provoked in the process and he totally wasn't indirectly insulting others in the process (like when he called me a comedian when I mentioned bmah as arguably the best simfile artist on the site)

                            sorry, but he deserves it. I don't sit here and say that files are shit/terrible/etc, I say that I don't like them. People obviously have a problem with this.

                            Comment

                            • Bobby Jeffrey Hill
                              FFR Player
                              • Jan 2013
                              • 126

                              #89
                              Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

                              i guess round 5 really got the best of us
                              rip ffr
                              sigpic


                              Originally posted by j-rodd123
                              this is one of the stupidest things i`ve seen on this site and i`ve read at least 4 posts about not eating gluten from cavernio

                              Comment

                              • popsicle_3000
                                Legendary Noob
                                FFR Simfile Author
                                • Sep 2005
                                • 4642

                                #90
                                Re: Official Tournament Round 5 Song Discussion

                                Originally posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
                                Which in my opinion flow is the most important thing, but if you can equalize it all perfectly that'd be ideal.
                                songs with good flow are sooo awesome to play. i love (orange things), autumn insomnia session and retro city are 3 that come to mind that just flow. so satisfying to play. actually, add fast asleep to that one as well.
                                even tho most of those songs have pretty crazy patterns, it just works

                                Originally posted by One Winged Angel
                                39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
                                Originally posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
                                one way to stream them all
                                Originally posted by Xiz
                                Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

                                But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
                                Originally posted by thesunfan
                                replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
                                Originally posted by reuben_tate
                                Title: Popsicle Three

                                Thousand the farthest
                                He's gone in an official
                                Whoop hip hip hooray!
                                Originally posted by U.N. Owen
                                kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

                                @popsicle_3000:
                                Danger incoming
                                The popsicles are melting
                                Three thousand of them
                                Originally posted by Wayward Vagabond
                                you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

                                dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
                                friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
                                dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
                                friend: hey bro can i tell you something
                                dynam0 yeah man whats up?
                                friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
                                dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
                                friend: thanks man
                                dynam0: no problem man
                                Originally posted by One Winged Angel
                                pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
                                Originally posted by Xiz
                                Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.

                                Comment

                                Working...