Reincarnate - AMA (might as well)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Reincarnate
    x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
    • Nov 2010
    • 6332

    #76
    Re: Reincarnate - AMA (might as well)

    nope and nope

    hadn't eaten anything all day up until that point and the pizza was thin-crust; caloric intake a-ok

    Comment

    • Choofers
      FFR Player
      FFR Music Producer
      • Dec 2008
      • 6205

      #77
      Re: Reincarnate - AMA (might as well)

      what are your thoughts on stuffed crust

      I wish chuck e cheese sold thin crust pizza lol, thin crust is best crust

      Comment

      • Reincarnate
        x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
        • Nov 2010
        • 6332

        #78
        Re: Reincarnate - AMA (might as well)

        stuffed crust = unnecessary. there's already more than enough cheese on the sucker. it's like a gateway food attribute, for which we have a clear example of in another realm, when taken out to the fullest

        Comment

        • Patashu
          FFR Simfile Author
          FFR Simfile Author
          • Apr 2006
          • 8609

          #79
          Re: Reincarnate - AMA (might as well)

          Have you played any roguelikes? My favourites are https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/ and http://www.amirrorclear.net/flowers/game/sil/index.html since they're non-grindy, brisk and transparent

          What do you think about thorium nuclear power?

          What's the most complicated thing you've programmed?

          What's a mathematical/scientific/logical concept you tried to wrap your mind around once but couldn't?

          Ever make any music? You should learn Famitracker with me~~

          What do you think about osu! ?

          Favourite cryptographic concept/algorithm?

          If you woke up one day and were suddenly 100% determined to get Stepmania out to the masses, newbie friendly, easy to find simfiles and packs for no matter what level and style you are and what genre you're interested in, easy to play multiplayer and gather statistics on, etc. but were otherwise the same person, what would your plan be? And no giving up in this hypothetical

          Favourite fruit? Favourite vegetable?

          How many people can you recognize by face? By name?

          If you had a magic wand that, when waved, would change one thing about the US educational system, what would it be? How about the US legal system? Economics?

          If you ran for President (let's assume you had the funds and connections to do it), what would your campaign be about? What if you wanted to win above all else, would it still be the same platform?
          Patashu makes Chiptunes in Famitracker:
          http://soundcloud.com/patashu/8bit-progressive-metal-fading-world
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Mechadragon/smallpackbanner.png
          Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
          http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png

          Comment

          • Reincarnate
            x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
            • Nov 2010
            • 6332

            #80
            Re: Reincarnate - AMA (might as well)

            Originally posted by Patashu
            Have you played any roguelikes? My favourites are https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/ and http://www.amirrorclear.net/flowers/game/sil/index.html since they're non-grindy, brisk and transparent

            What do you think about thorium nuclear power?

            What's the most complicated thing you've programmed?

            What's a mathematical/scientific/logical concept you tried to wrap your mind around once but couldn't?

            Ever make any music? You should learn Famitracker with me~~

            What do you think about osu! ?

            Favourite cryptographic concept/algorithm?

            If you woke up one day and were suddenly 100% determined to get Stepmania out to the masses, newbie friendly, easy to find simfiles and packs for no matter what level and style you are and what genre you're interested in, easy to play multiplayer and gather statistics on, etc. but were otherwise the same person, what would your plan be? And no giving up in this hypothetical

            Favourite fruit? Favourite vegetable?

            How many people can you recognize by face? By name?

            If you had a magic wand that, when waved, would change one thing about the US educational system, what would it be? How about the US legal system? Economics?

            If you ran for President (let's assume you had the funds and connections to do it), what would your campaign be about? What if you wanted to win above all else, would it still be the same platform?
            1. Nope

            2. Overhyped

            3. A long time ago, I worked at a trading firm where I helped develop a bunch of the risk management features of the trading platform. There were tons of pieces to it and since it had to be extremely fast, it was a challenge.

            4. There are countless things I don't understand/can't wrap my mind around. I'm no expert in math/science -- I just consider myself reasonably literate. A lot of the stuff from the experts at Math.stackexchange or MathOverflow or Physicsforums, etc... it's just gibberish to me. I'd say probability is by far the hardest mathematical subject to grasp fully, especially when it comes to setting up a hard problem correctly.

            5. Nope -- I feel like making music would require years of practice to get good at, and I simply don't have the time/will. I feel like I'd be more inclined to just hire someone to make music for me (if I were to ever make a game, for instance) and just tell them the sort of music I'd want/what it should sound like/what sources would be good inspiration for particular sections/etc.

            6. Played it once with a mouse and wanted to shoot myself in the face.

            7. Being able to hide messages in things like pictures and sound waves is kinda cool. Cryptography doesn't interest me as much when it comes to, say, internet security or what have you. I'm more of a fan of steganography and just trying to find creative ways of hiding things.

            8. Hard to answer this question. I would take after Steam's example and try to build a lot of the core functionality into a main app where you could participate in communities, play the games, download songs, etc. Getting people to go online and set up folder systems and look for bumper backs and troubleshoot theme issues via forums is tedious and timeconsuming. The rise of the console/mobile markets only puts more pressure on the need to keep things simple and easily accessible. Also, one of the main reasons I stopped using Stepmania is because *every damn song stepped nowadays is complete shit*. I don't give two squats about things like color theory or dumpstream flow or whatever. Of course, there are other major issues with the rhythm gaming industry at large but this answer is getting too long so I will stop here.

            9. Fruit: Oranges/grapes/pineapples. Vegetable: Broccoli/carrots

            10. Dunno off the top of my head/too lazy to estimate

            11. I would try to make teaching a more attractive industry that drew talent via higher compensation. In other words, I feel like being a teacher should be viewed as an honorable profession rather than "Oh, you're not ambitious enough to be a doctor/lawyer/businessman and now you make a crappy salary." There would be a much greater focus on simple reading and writing/basic mathematics/science and technology/applied problemsolving from the getgo (things that have shown to actually be effective), rather than trying to shoehorn everything into these nebulous programs that are just aimed at churning out higher scores on tests of questionable worth. It scares me when a 7th grader can barely put together a coherent sentence, or when their homework is nothing but an exercise in regurgitating facts/formulas that one could just look up online. As for the legal system, I would abolish the death penalty entirely. I would also try to make the legal system more accessible to the average Joe by cutting back on things like filing fees/motions, which make it hard for many people to get justice. Stop throwing people in jail who don't belong there and look into rehabilitation programs instead. There are also countless laws that are ridiculous and need to be thrown out/altered. Honestly, there's way too many things to respond with here so I'll move on. Economics, I would restructure the way the government is run so that it's a rigorous meritocracy, of sorts. There are way too many science-denying, fact-dodging, snake-oil salesmen running things at the federal level, and this in turn causes all sorts of negative impacts that are systemic/global. Get people into office who know how to work together/get shit done/make decisions based on reality, and so much can be accomplished.

            12. I know it's against the spirit of the question, but I'd never run for President. It would drive me insane. The system's too broken right now and someone like me couldn't win anyway.
            Last edited by Reincarnate; 10-15-2012, 08:01 PM.

            Comment

            • Patashu
              FFR Simfile Author
              FFR Simfile Author
              • Apr 2006
              • 8609

              #81
              Re: Reincarnate - AMA (might as well)

              Originally posted by Reincarnate
              2. Overhyped
              What should we be gunning for insead?

              3. A long time ago, I worked at a trading firm where I helped develop a bunch of the risk management features of the trading platform. There were tons of pieces to it and since it had to be extremely fast, it was a challenge.
              Cool

              4. There are countless things I don't understand/can't wrap my mind around. I'm no expert in math/science -- I just consider myself reasonably literate. A lot of the stuff from the experts at Math.stackexchange or MathOverflow or Physicsforums, etc... it's just gibberish to me. I'd say probability is by far the hardest mathematical subject to grasp fully, especially when it comes to setting up a hard problem correctly.

              5. Nope -- I feel like making music would require years of practice to get good at, and I simply don't have the time/will. I feel like I'd be more inclined to just hire someone to make music for me (if I were to ever make a game, for instance) and just tell them the sort of music I'd want/what it should sound like/what sources would be good inspiration for particular sections/etc.
              I picked it up pretty quickly, but I guess it depends on the person and I still have a fair way to go of course xd

              8. Hard to answer this question. I would take after Steam's example and try to build a lot of the core functionality into a main app where you could participate in communities, play the games, download songs, etc. Getting people to go online and set up folder systems and look for bumper backs and troubleshoot theme issues via forums is tedious and timeconsuming. The rise of the console/mobile markets only puts more pressure on the need to keep things simple and easily accessible. Also, one of the main reasons I stopped using Stepmania is because *every damn song stepped nowadays is complete shit*. I don't give two squats about things like color theory or dumpstream flow or whatever. Of course, there are other major issues with the rhythm gaming industry at large but this answer is getting too long so I will stop here.
              This is a good answer. Osu's model is pretty similar to this, btw

              11. I would try to make teaching a more attractive industry that drew talent via higher compensation. In other words, I feel like being a teacher should be viewed as an honorable profession rather than "Oh, you're not ambitious enough to be a doctor/lawyer/businessman and now you make a crappy salary." There would be a much greater focus on simple reading and writing/basic mathematics/science and technology/applied problemsolving from the getgo (things that have shown to actually be effective), rather than trying to shoehorn everything into these nebulous programs that are just aimed at churning out higher scores on tests of questionable worth. It scares me when a 7th grader can barely put together a coherent sentence, or when their homework is nothing but an exercise in regurgitating facts/formulas that one could just look up online.
              This is a good answer. It wasn't in the original question, but how would you go about doing this? e.g. putting in rules like 'if your students get better marks you get paid more' don't work for obvious reasons. Can you legislate culture or is a magic wand/extreme hype campaign the only way?

              As for the legal system, I would abolish the death penalty entirely. I would also try to make the legal system more accessible to the average Joe by cutting back on things like filing fees/motions, which make it hard for many people to get justice. Stop throwing people in jail who don't belong there and look into rehabilitation programs instead. There are also countless laws that are ridiculous and need to be thrown out/altered. Honestly, there's way too many things to respond with here so I'll move on. Economics, I would restructure the way the government is run so that it's a rigorous meritocracy, of sorts. There are way too many science-denying, fact-dodging, snake-oil salesmen running things at the federal level, and this in turn causes all sorts of negative impacts that are systemic/global. Get people into office who know how to work together/get shit done/make decisions based on reality, and so much can be accomplished.
              Good stuff

              12. I know it's against the spirit of the question, but I'd never run for President. It would drive me insane. The system's too broken right now and someone like me couldn't win anyway.
              Haha I do not blame you at all. "As President, I will legalize and legislate magic and ****ing miracles"
              Patashu makes Chiptunes in Famitracker:
              http://soundcloud.com/patashu/8bit-progressive-metal-fading-world
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Mechadragon/smallpackbanner.png
              Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
              http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png

              Comment

              • Reincarnate
                x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
                • Nov 2010
                • 6332

                #82
                Re: Reincarnate - AMA (might as well)

                Originally posted by Patashu
                What should we be gunning for insead?
                It's worth researching a variety of energy sources (wind, solar, hydro, biomass, nuclear, etc), to be clear. I just think that the whole thorium thing is overhyped (the pros are oversold, and the cons are understated). Going down the thorium route is p.much just a shitload of money/time spent on a venture with a ton of unknowns while moving from one common fuel to another. IMO, there are other energy alternatives with better NPV for the time being. It's still a good idea to research thorium and its energy applications otherwise, but in terms of pursuing it as a serious commercial contender... ehhhhhhhh. I don't see it as being realistic or economically sensible just yet.

                Originally posted by Patashu
                This is a good answer. It wasn't in the original question, but how would you go about doing this? e.g. putting in rules like 'if your students get better marks you get paid more' don't work for obvious reasons. Can you legislate culture or is a magic wand/extreme hype campaign the only way?
                Teachers have no control over a given student's home life, which ultimately impacts just about everything else. You could have the best pitcher in the world, but if the catcher cbf to actually reach for the ball or show up to the game at all, how can you fault the pitcher for that? Fixing that problem requires the magic wand.

                Using test scores is simply not a good way to gauge teacher quality, nor is it effective in providing insight for improvement. A teacher's quality is something you can only really assess/critique/improve in a broader, holistic, multifaceted context.

                Comment

                • Choofers
                  FFR Player
                  FFR Music Producer
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 6205

                  #83
                  Re: Reincarnate - AMA (might as well)

                  have you ever tried stepping something for stepmania

                  did I already ask that question

                  Comment

                  • Reincarnate
                    x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
                    • Nov 2010
                    • 6332

                    #84
                    Re: Reincarnate - AMA (might as well)

                    idk

                    I never stepped much because getting the BPM's right throughout the song was a huge chore for me and I was never confident that I did it correctly, so I never really got past that point. I have a couple step patterns in my mind for certain songs but other than that, nothing.

                    Comment

                    • Shouka
                      FFR Veteran
                      • Nov 2006
                      • 382

                      #85
                      Re: Reincarnate - AMA (might as well)

                      Have you considered going to grad school for computer science?

                      Do you enjoy living/working in Manhattan? What does a typical day at your job consist of? How long do you plan to stay in New York?

                      Comment

                      • Reincarnate
                        x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
                        • Nov 2010
                        • 6332

                        #86
                        Re: Reincarnate - AMA (might as well)

                        Originally posted by Shouka
                        Have you considered going to grad school for computer science?
                        Nah, I am totally done with school -- undergrad loans are already big enough, and I am not convinced that I'd get much utility from a grad school CS degree. Besides, my undergrad was in finance stuff so that transition might look weird on paper. My undergrad experience kinda turned me off to academia, to be honest.

                        Originally posted by Shouka
                        Do you enjoy living/working in Manhattan? What does a typical day at your job consist of? How long do you plan to stay in New York?
                        I'm torn on Manhattan. Everyone's always in a rush, and time is a rare commodity. You have to pretty much pencil everyone in for an hour here, a brunch there, etc. Despite living here for about 3 years now, I still haven't made many new friends. Most of the friends I've made have been through my girlfriend. I guess it's just lonely, for the most part.

                        NYC's great otherwise and has just about every kind of food you can imagine, but it's also really expensive to live here. It's also very crowded. The most likely move would be to NJ or something in the near future -- but it depends.

                        Comment

                        • Abstract Art
                          FFR Player
                          • Feb 2011
                          • 19

                          #87
                          Re: Reincarnate - AMA (might as well)

                          What about your undergraduate experienced turned you off to academia in general?

                          I also noticed you mentioned studying finance. Do you work on Wall Street? And if so, what's that like?

                          Comment

                          • Reincarnate
                            x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
                            • Nov 2010
                            • 6332

                            #88
                            Re: Reincarnate - AMA (might as well)

                            Originally posted by Abstract Art
                            What about your undergraduate experienced turned you off to academia in general?

                            I also noticed you mentioned studying finance. Do you work on Wall Street? And if so, what's that like?
                            In many ways it felt like a heartless bureaucracy that doesn't really care about you unless you have a lot of money. Professors always came across as too-busy-to-talk, and there were a lot of administrative problems as well. I didn't enjoy my college experience very much at all.

                            I actually don't work WS anymore. The work/people are fine, but it's not the sort of thing I want to do the rest of my life. I'm actually trying to make a transition into something CS-oriented but I don't know how that'll play out considering that my background is all business stuff. I'm more of a math/CS junkie at heart.

                            Comment

                            • dAnceguy117
                              new hand moves = dab
                              FFR Simfile Author
                              • Dec 2002
                              • 10103

                              #89
                              Re: Reincarnate - AMA (might as well)

                              Originally posted by Reincarnate
                              I'm actually trying to make a transition into something CS-oriented but I don't know how that'll play out
                              you can do it. you know you can do it. just go all out.

                              what's your favorite BMR simfile?

                              Comment

                              • Reincarnate
                                x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
                                • Nov 2010
                                • 6332

                                #90
                                Re: Reincarnate - AMA (might as well)

                                I like many for different reasons. Angelfalls, Ayla, A, G2, V, Pulse, Empathy, Colors, Sync, Nemesis, Era, After All, Gravity...

                                Comment

                                Working...