So my hometown made it into Yahoo News...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Reincarnate
    x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
    • Nov 2010
    • 6332

    #16
    Re: So my hometown made it into Yahoo News...

    Originally posted by dragonmegaXX
    1. TV's aren't children and are unable to learn whether you bash them in with a baseball bat or give them the latest toys to play with.
    The whole point of the analogy is that punishment, on average, doesn't work. It's not the best method for changing behavior. You *can* fix a TV by hitting it, but if it actually works, you probably just got lucky. Most of the time you're just beating up your TV with no net benefit and causing residual damage.

    Originally posted by dragonmegaXX
    2. Why does it seem that most of the people my age who are deadweights on society seem to have complete free reign over their households? I dont see how positive reinforcement is supposed to help if your child does something completely stupid. That's like saying "Ok Johnny, I know you just vandalized out neighbors house, but if you dont do it again for 6 months, Ill buy you an Xbox".
    There are plenty of kids who have "free reign" and aren't shitheads. One doesn't necessarily cause the other and this is committing the fallacy known as "confirmation bias." You're only paying attention to one subset of scenarios and ignoring the ones that contradict your hypothesis.

    The idea is that you teach your kid the right ropes so that vandalizing someone else's house doesn't even come up to begin with (if a kid is doing this, it probably wasn't taught properly for a long time prior to that event). Even so, it isn't the case that punishment is *never* justified. There are times when it's totally fine to punish your kid for doing something stupid. But the punishment has to be logical and consistent, and it must fit the crime. If you're just hitting your kids for "being noisy" or publicly shaming them for "being entitled" or whatever, you're not doing it right.

    The biggest drawback of punishment is that it only tries to tell you what not to do instead of what you should be doing (reinforcement). Punishment works best when it's immediately coupled with the undesired stimulus and consistently applied (which is why it doesn't work when someone learns to sneak around it or if the punishment is so far removed from the incident. Examples: Jailtime, speeding tickets, etc). It also results in psychological damage/antisocial behavior/delinquency/aggression/etc.

    Originally posted by dragonmegaXX
    3.I fail to see how you see disciplining a child as "Making up for your own shortcomings". People are rebellious by nature. Even if you raise your child perfectly, they're still going to do some stupid shit. That doesn't mean you shouldn't address the issues when they arise.
    If rebellion is the concern, punishment generates more rebellion and defiance than the alternatives.

    Originally posted by dragonmegaXX
    4. I feel like not getting punishments as a child probably weakens you as an adult. You end up as a spoiled young adult who thinks no one can get you in trouble. You end up getting a job, and are probably confused when the manager is threatening to fire you because you've never had someone threaten you before.
    Not at all. Again, confirmation bias. Many well-adjusted adults weren't punished as kids like this, nor were they "self-entitled" or spoiled. You can learn to deal with conflict assertively instead of "responding to threats" in the context you're laying out.

    Comment

    • DossarLX ODI
      Batch Manager
      Game Manager
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Mar 2008
      • 15013

      #17
      Re: So my hometown made it into Yahoo News...

      Going back to this quote

      Originally posted by News page
      "We just got to the point where we just didn't know what else to do," Renee told the newspaper.
      Nothing in the news page gives any hint of the parents discussing the daughter's issues. If anything, it shows that the parents "didn't know what else to do" and instead of wanting to think about the situation they just resorted to the uncreative, destructive public humiliation method. When something negative gets online, it spreads like a plague and pops up everywhere.
      Originally posted by hi19hi19
      oh boy, it's STIFF, I'll stretch before I sit down at the computer so not I'm not as STIFF next time I step a file

      Comment

      • dragonmegaXX
        ITG playing fur
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Jul 2008
        • 3661

        #18
        Re: So my hometown made it into Yahoo News...

        For the record I actually didn't read the article. I've just seen similar situations is all, so these people might be going full retard for all I know.

        Comment

        • Reincarnate
          x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
          • Nov 2010
          • 6332

          #19
          Re: So my hometown made it into Yahoo News...

          Originally posted by dragonmegaXX
          For the record I actually didn't read the article. I've just seen similar situations is all, so these people might be going full retard for all I know.
          It's pretty much what you'd expect -- just public shaming that went viral

          Comment

          • Crashfan3
            FFR Player
            • Nov 2006
            • 2937

            #20
            Re: So my hometown made it into Yahoo News...

            What was it... about three.. four years ago when this shit started popping up on the internet?
            Now I see this at least once a month. Some dickwad parent thinks its a good idea to publicly shame their teenager for bad grades, having sex, being disrespectful, or other things that normal teenagers do. I'm not saying it's right, and the children should be *privately* punished, but how would those parents feel if they had to hold up a sign at a busy intersection that explained all of their crimes in detail?

            Short version: keep thy shit behind closed doors, 500k facebook likes isn't worth psychologically damaging your child.

            Comment

            • ssbmchamp
              Can't improve at this game.
              • Oct 2006
              • 1128

              #21
              Re: So my hometown made it into Yahoo News...

              Long story short I think most the problems among the younger generation is directly attributed to the "lack" of discipline nowadays. In this particular situation I think this was a really dumb idea for a punishment and accomplished absolutely nothing. But back to the topic of discipline in general, I would love to see more very strict/severe punishments implemented in society. This is a tad bit extreme of an example but bringing back the "eye for an eye" system I think would help turn our country's discipline problem around. People can argue all they want but the fact of the matter is the more severe a punishment, the less likely a person would commit an offense. The problem now with something like that is that everyone would complain "that's cruel...etc" instead of manning up and and facing the consequences of their actions.

              Comment

              • adlp
                FFR Veteran
                • Jul 2006
                • 1758

                #22
                Re: So my hometown made it into Yahoo News...

                this doesnt have anything to do with Bible values what are you talking about dossar

                and this was a stupid punishment

                Comment

                • funmonkey54
                  The Chill Keeper
                  • Oct 2007
                  • 4127

                  #23
                  Re: So my hometown made it into Yahoo News...

                  Originally posted by Choofers
                  the fact that a "christian counselor" exists is gross lmao
                  Is this just a stupid joke, or?
                  Explain yourself.

                  Comment

                  • Arch0wl
                    Banned
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    • Dec 2002
                    • 6344

                    #24
                    Re: So my hometown made it into Yahoo News...

                    I don't think that the "positive reinforcement is best" approach takes into consideration innate personality types. IIRC, personality was something like 50% hereditary. The environmental aspect is also likely to aid continuation of similar personality attributes to the parents if the person doing most of the environmental management is the person with similar hereditary dispositions.

                    My mom, throughout most of my life, was very high on the positive reinforcement thing. She was also primarily the one who raised me. However, having been in environments where reinforcement is mostly negative, I feel like that's a more effective kind of reinforcement for someone like me. What would happen with positive reinforcement is that I would just forego the initial reward and negotiate larger and larger rewards until I was able to get something disproportionately rewarding to the task I was doing. If I didn't get larger a reward I wouldn't do it at all, even if the reward was a small one. So that's when negative reinforcement comes in, and I was pretty persistent about that too. It takes increasingly higher levels of negative reinforcement until you're basically scaring the shit out of me.

                    My dad can be terrifying when he's angry, and I listened to him much more as a kid even though he hardly asked anything out of me by comparison. However, my dad is also a lot like me, so he intuitively hones in on what naturally works.

                    It may be that this particular type of reinforcement is good for this kid, but not for others. If I've been publicly embarrassed by something I will never do that thing again. I do know people, though, who would break down in tears and just regard the incident as traumatic on the whole and hardly learn anything from it.
                    Last edited by Arch0wl; 03-22-2013, 11:50 PM.

                    Comment

                    • ReikonKeiri
                      i wanna be ur pop star
                      • Jun 2006
                      • 2388

                      #25
                      Re: So my hometown made it into Yahoo News...

                      I was spanked as a child and I turned out great, that shit hurt so I rarely did stuff to deserve it. So glad I never got grounded, that's just a cruel elongated punishment imo. I would rather be spanked 100 times than grounded for a week.

                      My parents were awesome.

                      if this punishment was done on me it would only work if it was cold outside, otherwise who the fuck cares what random people ive never met think of me.
                      Last edited by ReikonKeiri; 03-23-2013, 12:24 AM.


                      FMO AAAs (3): Heavenly Spores (68), Fast Asleep (67)!, 0 (piano version) (66)! VC AAAs: 76
                      Best VCs: Finders Keepers (64), Purple (64), Travel Demon (63), Final Step (63), A World of Piano (63), Balloon Fever (63), The Fusion (63)

                      It's Only Natural BF
                      Southern Cross BF
                      Minute Waltz v2 BF
                      Novo Mundo BF
                      Stark Raving Mad BF
                      Midnight Dragon 1-0-0-1
                      Choprite 2 clean
                      Rottel 2 clean
                      J&C 2 clean
                      Chronograph 2-1-0-1
                      BB Evo 3 clean
                      Staring at my Spaceship 3 clean
                      Epilogue 3-0-0-1
                      Banned Forever 3-0-0-1
                      World Tour 2004 3-0-1-4
                      Demon Beast Appearance 4 clean
                      Gacha Gacha Figu Atto Radio 4 clean
                      Gravity Blast 4 clean
                      Just Why 4 clean
                      Eternal Drain [Heavy] 4 clean
                      300 4-0-0-1
                      Pure Ruby 5 clean
                      Destination of the Heart 5 clean
                      Plasmatextor 5-0-0-4
                      Oni 6 clean
                      Yorukumoryuu Yamikaze 6 clean
                      Ambient Angels 6 clean
                      Colorful Course 6 clean
                      Hajnal 6 clean
                      Arsonist 7-0-0-1
                      Setsujou! Hyakka Ryouran 7-1-0-1
                      Face in the Gutter 8 clean
                      Kanon Medley 8 clean
                      Colibri 8 clean
                      Summer Time Perfume 8 clean
                      Blindfolds Aside 8-0-0-1
                      Bubble Bath Aftermath 8-0-0-1
                      Bloody Tears 8-0-0-2
                      Ochitsukeruwakenaiwayo! [Heavy] 9 clean


                      Originally posted by Moogle-master
                      To be fair, having all the BlazBlue's isn't good taste more then it is common sense.

                      Comment

                      • eastsideman09
                        poker face
                        FFR Simfile Author
                        • Dec 2006
                        • 1746

                        #26
                        Re: So my hometown made it into Yahoo News...

                        Originally posted by Arch0wl
                        It may be that this particular type of reinforcement is good for this kid, but not for others. If I've been publicly embarrassed by something I will never do that thing again. I do know people, though, who would break down in tears and just regard the incident as traumatic on the whole and hardly learn anything from it.
                        In the article, I believe positive punishment is being used, not reinforcement, but whatever. Regardless, operant conditioning alone would simply be addressing the behavior itself, instead of the reason for the behavior, which I think is the -real- problem in this situation (not being able to handle the grief she feels over her dead uncle). Punishment alone tends to work short-term, but it's been shown that it needs to be more severe to achieve the same effect over time, and in the long-run, the behavior itself tends to worsen.

                        Punishment can work, but not by itself. Discussion and reinforcement need to be there, you've got to make sure the child isn't learning to 'not be punished', but is learning what is appropriate behavior. Nothing in the article suggests to me that the child is being engaged in actual discussion. I don't think she's getting anything positive out of her parents disciplinary strategies.

                        Originally posted by ReikonKeiri
                        I was spanked as a child and I turned out great
                        I attended the Southeastern Council for Family Relations last month, and this was literally the title of one of the presentations I saw there lol. The gist of that presentation was that, sure, you might have turned out okay, but it's not because of corporal punishment, it's because
                        Originally posted by ReikonKeiri
                        [your] parents were awesome.
                        That's to say, it's because everything else your parents did was positive; you had a good relationship with them, communication was good, they loved and supported you, etc.

                        There's a study I read that said as long as parents are warm, loving, supportive, and communicable, children actually approved of their parents decision to spank/etc. However, it's not the spank itself that's teaching the lesson, or fostering the relationship, it's everything else.

                        Originally posted by ReikonKeiri
                        otherwise who the fuck cares what random people ive never met think of me.
                        Yeah, but try telling that to a 13 year old girl lol
                        Last edited by eastsideman09; 03-23-2013, 01:17 AM.
                        Originally posted by dAnceguy117
                        esm, you are a fucking legend
                        Originally posted by Arntonach
                        wow ur pretty
                        Originally posted by MrGiggles
                        caring should be a get-outable offense

                        Comment

                        • Mollocephalus
                          Custom User Title
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 2608

                          #27
                          Re: So my hometown made it into Yahoo News...

                          So much cancer in that page lol

                          I don't want to make a long-ass post so i'll just say that a parent can be firm without resorting to any kind of humiliating punishments. And also, this punishment is very related to christian mentality cause a lot of christians are indeed obsessed about guilt and punishment. Which is beyond retardation and shows nothing more than some pretty bad mental disbalance. Just my 2 cents.

                          Comment

                          • MrMagic5239
                            FFR Veteran
                            • Feb 2007
                            • 4096

                            #28
                            Re: So my hometown made it into Yahoo News...

                            Thats kind of like the time someone robbed the bank in my hometown for $1 in an attempt to get into federal prison.

                            Anyone remember this? It hit front page yahoo news a few months back.

                            NORTHERN CAMBRIA, Pa. - Police say a man tried to rob a Pennsylvania bank of $1 because he hoped to be sent to a federal prison nearby.
                            ~Grand Chase Stats~
                            Elesis (Knight/Spearman/Sword Master/ Savior) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4 EXP Rank 1
                            Lire (Archer/Crossbowmen/Arch Ranger/Nova) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
                            Arme (Mage/Alchemist/Warlock/Battle Mage) Lvl 80/80 MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
                            Ronan (Spell Knight/Dragon Knight/Aegis Knight/Abyss Knight) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
                            Lass (Thief/Assassin/Dark Assassin/Striper) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4, EXP Rank 1
                            Ryan (Druid/Sentinel/Viken/Xenocider) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
                            Amy (Dancer/Musician/Siren/Superstar) Lvl 78/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 13
                            Sieghart (Gladiator/Warlord/Duelist/Prime Knight) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
                            Jin (Fighter/Shisa/Asura/Rama) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4 EXP Rank 1
                            Zero (Seeker/Wanderer) Lvl 79/80, MP Bars 4/4 EXP Rank 9
                            Dio (Stygian/Drakar//Leviathan) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
                            Rin (Caller) Lvl 77/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 32
                            Rufus (Bounty Hunter/Killer/Ravager/Arbiter) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
                            Ley (Summoner/Harbringer) lvl 79/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 21
                            Asin (Desciple) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1 (Eastern Rain Liquid Jade aquired)

                            Comment

                            • demonllama6124
                              im your grandpa!!!
                              • Mar 2004
                              • 1440

                              #29
                              Re: So my hometown made it into Yahoo News...

                              not too far from where i live.
                              Originally posted by nestlekwik
                              Blue is my favorite color. Thus, anyone in the chat with a blue name is super awesome and deserves to have Chinese food.
                              Originally posted by welsh_girl
                              OP, WTFBrandon & demonllama6124

                              Only Men here with Manly Man hairy legs.
                              Originally posted by Velocity
                              leonid, please shut the fuck up before I make you.
                              Help decide which game I should play next. Trying to beat all my games
                              http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...47#post4489647

                              Comment

                              • Garquillex
                                FFR Veteran
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 965

                                #30
                                Re: So my hometown made it into Yahoo News...

                                This type of punishment is some of the most illogical around, and belongs in the goddamn iron age.

                                This doesn't teach anything directly. They're not even addressing the problems. Teach them WHY NOT to do things, not that you'll humiliate them until they stop doing something. When they're older and you can no longer do this, what's to say they won't revert back, since you never actually taught them anything and just crossed your fingers and forgot about the problems?

                                It's basically them humiliating their children because they failed to either raise them reasonably, failed to address issues earlier, or failed to seek professional help.

                                Originally posted by Reincarnate
                                what the FUCK

                                the comments on that page are so absurdly stupid and uneducated, I don't even
                                it's extremely depressing and frustrating to read...
                                Last edited by Garquillex; 03-23-2013, 03:37 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...