Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • who_cares973
    FFR Player
    • Aug 2006
    • 15407

    #31
    Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

    Originally posted by Mans0n
    you have got to be joking

    do R1 music producers make any money 0.o
    not for ffr
    Originally posted by leonid
    unless you make a file every 12 minutes (i.e. $10/hr) it doesn't seem to have any merit
    totally possible. with the money ive saved up from stepping over the past 4 years ive been able to get a hot wheels track set

    Comment

    • pmonibuv1
      FFR Veteran
      • Aug 2007
      • 3236

      #32
      Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

      For me, I would probably put down "Ability to handle a wide range of audio editing software and video/picture editing software." Since you are going for a computer programmer field, having knowledge in a range of different types of software could possibly help you. Im planning on being a computer programmer later too :P
      FMO AAA's (55): Rottel-Da-Station, Church Bells, Arrogant Cobbler, Grocery Escape Plan, Disconnected Hardkore, Minute Waltz v2, Battle Theme #37, Flight of the Bumblebee, Midnight Dragon, Jeanie and Caroline, Blue-Violet, Puzzle, Kyrie, 300, Largiloquent Dithyramb, Brandish Headless, Going On Spring Wind, Novo Mundo, Gacha Gacha Hertz Figu atto Radio, Starwolf, Melonman's OP, Summer Time Perfume, Perfect Cherry Storm, Hajnal, Epidermis, Strangeprogram, Thrash, Lawn Wake I (LW EP Edit), Choprite, AIM Anthem, Dance and Zeal, Kanon Medley ~Metal Wings~, Clockwork, JULIA, Heavenly Spores, Distorted God, Radio Heads, Epilogue, Spoils, Ripoff, Since 1983, A FLOWER GARDEN, The earth blew up, Phalanx, Chronograph, Black Key Etude, Trinity, super mario bros theme (original NES is awesome), Jack-The-Ripper, Poppin' Shower, cheerful forest, Trisection v2, Devilz Staircase, Colibri, Club

      FGO AAA's (2): Time To Eye, The Bird's Concrete Nosedive

      sigpic


      Comment

      • leonid
        I am leonid
        FFR Simfile Author
        FFR Music Producer
        • Oct 2008
        • 8080

        #33
        Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

        being a programmer is suffering..



        Proud member of Team No

        Comment

        • igotrhythm
          Fractals!
          • Sep 2004
          • 6535

          #34
          Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

          What Goldenwind said should be taken into account: Skills relevant to the field is one thing, but every good manager needs to also get inside the head of the person that has the skills they're looking for so they don't end up getting an Omarosa.

          I say go for it, though one should take care to word it as professionally as possible. OP should definitely consult his professor about this one. Maybe "level designer for browser-based rhythm game Flash Flash Revolution" or something like that.
          Originally posted by thesunfan
          I literally spent 10 minutes in the library looking for the TWG forum on Smogon and couldn't find it what the fuck is this witchcraft IGR

          Comment

          • benguino
            Kawaii Desu Ne?
            • Dec 2007
            • 4190

            #35
            Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

            programmer
            I think the term "developer" is more appropriate. Sounds less derogatory.
            AMA: http://ask.fm/benguino


            Originally posted by Spenner
            (^)> peck peck says the heels
            Originally posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
            And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
            Originally posted by Zakvvv666
            awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing

            Comment

            • cedolad
              moonchild~
              FFR Simfile Author
              • Jan 2007
              • 6879

              #36
              Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

              I hope people understand that personal projects lands under hobbies. And that stepping is a hobby.

              Comment

              • qqwref
                stepmania archaeologist
                FFR Simfile Author
                • Aug 2005
                • 4092

                #37
                Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

                Originally posted by leonid
                unless you make a file every 12 minutes (i.e. $10/hr) it doesn't seem to have any merit
                I've made files a lot faster than this (although not new files...)

                Originally posted by cedolad
                I hope people understand that personal projects lands under hobbies. And that stepping is a hobby.
                Yeah, it is. But it still wouldn't hurt to make it sound serious and artistic.
                Best AAA: Policy In The Sky [Oni] (81)
                Best SDG: PANTS (86)
                Best FC: Future Invasion (93)

                Comment

                • Izzy
                  Snek
                  FFR Simfile Author
                  • Jan 2003
                  • 9195

                  #38
                  Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

                  It might somehow be related to other fields but not programming. I don't think it will help you.

                  Comment

                  • ninjaKIWI
                    plain old ugly ass dumbas
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    • Aug 2006
                    • 3307

                    #39
                    Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

                    Originally posted by reuben_tate
                    I think the term "developer" is more appropriate. Sounds less derogatory.
                    I don't see how the term programmer could ever be misconstrued as derogatory.
                    Originally posted by Jewpinthethird
                    "Hey Keywii" Said Foil in a raspy voice.
                    "Hey Foil. What's that you got there?" inquired Keywii.
                    "Oh, just my cock." Replied Foil.
                    "That just will not do." was keywii's response as she lunged for the scissors, pulled the blades apart, and clamped them down on the base of foil's shaft. Blood start gushing out of the wound where his penis used to be.
                    "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Yelled Foil in horror.
                    "Don't worry. I'm a wizard" uttered Keywii. And with that, Foil's penis grew back.

                    Comment

                    • Izzy
                      Snek
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      • Jan 2003
                      • 9195

                      #40
                      Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

                      I don't feel like there is anything wrong with calling someone a programmer, but I would agree that calling someone a developer seems more prestigious.

                      Comment

                      • benguino
                        Kawaii Desu Ne?
                        • Dec 2007
                        • 4190

                        #41
                        Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

                        Originally posted by Izzy
                        I don't feel like there is anything wrong with calling someone a programmer, but I would agree that calling someone a developer seems more prestigious.
                        Agreed. I have to say though that I see the term "developer" being used with more frequency as time progresses.
                        AMA: http://ask.fm/benguino


                        Originally posted by Spenner
                        (^)> peck peck says the heels
                        Originally posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
                        And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
                        Originally posted by Zakvvv666
                        awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing

                        Comment

                        • Izzy
                          Snek
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          • Jan 2003
                          • 9195

                          #42
                          Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

                          I feel like that might be because there is more involved than just programming when "developing" software. There is a lot of planning and designing. So I can see where calling someone a programmer here might seem rather lowly because it seems like busy work in the grand scheme of the development process.

                          Comment

                          • stargroup100
                            behanjc & me are <3'ers
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            FFR Music Producer
                            • Jul 2006
                            • 2051

                            #43
                            Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

                            Sorry for bumping but this is fun to discuss.

                            Well here's the thing. Making charts does have its merits and it is indeed a form of sub-art (gotta use this term now so artfags don't start hating on me, and either way it's not comparable to true art anyways). The only problem is that it's difficult to justify your position.

                            If you had enough time to present your material and explain your thought processes in an organized fashion, perhaps it could be applicable. Otherwise, it's risky and you should avoid it. But either way though, this would be very tricky to do because we all just learned how to step "independently." Be careful how you present yourself.
                            Rhythm Simulation Guide
                            Comments, criticism, suggestions, contributions, etc. are all welcome.

                            Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music

                            Comment

                            • Arch0wl
                              Banned
                              FFR Simfile Author
                              • Dec 2002
                              • 6344

                              #44
                              Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

                              The social difficulty underlying your question is that a resume generally includes some form of merit or achievement that has been standardized or made official.

                              If you put that you've made stepcharts for a game company and title it "game development", that's impressive to some people. But if you have no way of making it official, they won't care, and the not-caring has nothing to do with stepfiles. If I had said on a college application "I know how to prepare gourmet meals" the adcoms would have ignored that line and scanned for information they can use. However, if I had said "I tutored under Eric Ripert, a chef with a Michelin three-star restaurant" they would add that to my application's weight. This would also be true if you talk about "writing your own 3-act plays" and "winning an acting competition"; they prefer the competition victories, even though writing a play is hard as shit and might be arguably harder.

                              Unfortunately, this is the nature of the resume. People giving you a job tend not to value obscure skills with no benchmark, particularly because when a skill is obscure they see even the benchmarks of that skill 'useless'. They see it as equivalent to building lego replicas, or something. But stepfiling is a skill like any other, and the people at the top have learned a lot to get there. Their talent is unique. If you put the hundreds of hours that prolific FFR chart authors have put into making their files into something else -- say, cooking -- they would be damn good cooks, and that could land them a job as a chef somewhere. But unfortunately, it only seems silly because it's so isolated from others skills. Like spriting 2D fighter characters, stepfiling is extremely specialized, which is also the Achilles' heel of its resume viability.

                              Comment

                              • MixMasterLar
                                Beach Bum Extraordinaire
                                FFR Simfile Author
                                • Aug 2006
                                • 5401

                                #45
                                Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

                                Well said, Arch.

                                I'll say that putting something like this on a resume should be avoided. Photoshop? Hell yeah
                                ​

                                Comment

                                Working...