Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • qqwref
    stepmania archaeologist
    FFR Simfile Author
    • Aug 2005
    • 4092

    #16
    Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

    I feel like the answer is in general no, but on the other hand charting is definitely a type of art which requires skill and technique and so on. So it would compare to a more obscure art form, like origami or CAD drawing or something. If you want to include it, try to phrase it in a way that emphasizes the creative and musical aspects, and downplay the dancing/DDR/nerdy aspects.
    Best AAA: Policy In The Sky [Oni] (81)
    Best SDG: PANTS (86)
    Best FC: Future Invasion (93)

    Comment

    • Patashu
      FFR Simfile Author
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Apr 2006
      • 8609

      #17
      Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

      Originally posted by qqwref
      I feel like the answer is in general no, but on the other hand charting is definitely a type of art which requires skill and technique and so on. So it would compare to a more obscure art form, like origami or CAD drawing or something. If you want to include it, try to phrase it in a way that emphasizes the creative and musical aspects, and downplay the dancing/DDR/nerdy aspects.
      at first I thought 'absolutely not' but I can see this working. maybe
      Patashu makes Chiptunes in Famitracker:
      http://soundcloud.com/patashu/8bit-progressive-metal-fading-world
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Mechadragon/smallpackbanner.png
      Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
      http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png

      Comment

      • who_cares973
        FFR Player
        • Aug 2006
        • 15407

        #18
        Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

        This would go under the personal part of the resume which means it doesn't have to be relevant to the job that you're applying for. I always put down that I was part of the varsity tennis team, a mathlete(in 5th grade but they don't need to know this part xd) and an artist(stepcharter would go under artist. Like I said I don't make it sound like I'm just putting arrows to music)

        Comment

        • PlayTrumpet
          Lamingtons.
          • May 2007
          • 590

          #19
          Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

          Also, I might put emphasis on your familiarity and/or proficiency in audio editing/producing software - sounds more professional.
          HIGH-FIVING A MILLION ANGELS!
          sigpic

          Comment

          • who_cares973
            FFR Player
            • Aug 2006
            • 15407

            #20
            Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

            Hey CAD drawing is hardly obscure art.

            Comment

            • foilman8805
              smoke wheat hail satin
              FFR Simfile Author
              • Sep 2006
              • 5704

              #21
              Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

              Originally posted by who_cares973
              Hey CAD drawing is hardly obscure art.
              Yeah wow, I was just about to say this.

              Comment

              • ichliebekase
                FFR Simfile Author
                FFR Simfile Author
                • May 2006
                • 3213

                #22
                Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

                Originally posted by Goldenwind
                I haven't submitted my résumé anywhere yet, but I put it down as "Stepcharts are the choreographies, or sequences of arrows, used in Dance Dance Revolution software".

                And then I put in a bit about cutting and remixing music, using Photoshop, and coding synchronization.
                The way you've written it makes it look better. I'd think that for a computer programming class it'd look pretty good to put that in as a project you have completed. If you were applying to a job at Pizza Hut, obviously you're not going to put being a stepcharter on the application >.>

                You can always ask what your professor thinks too, wouldn't hurt to ask her :P
                Glorious Morning - Misc, level 48
                We Will Fly - Dance 2, level 53
                =.The Ocean.= - Dance 2, level 56, collab with krunkykai22
                Garden Party - Dance, level 38

                Comment

                • kommisar
                  Dark Chancellor
                  FFR Simfile Author
                  FFR Music Producer
                  • Jun 2005
                  • 7328

                  #23
                  Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

                  modifying audio by cutting or extending is but a hobby, I dont think it would consist of a legitimate skill to add on a resume.

                  there are tons of other ways to modify audio that would probably make you look better on a resume.

                  Comment

                  • foilman8805
                    smoke wheat hail satin
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    • Sep 2006
                    • 5704

                    #24
                    Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

                    Originally posted by ichliebekase
                    The way you've written it makes it look better. I'd think that for a computer programming class it'd look pretty good to put that in as a project you have completed. If you were applying to a job at Pizza Hut, obviously you're not going to put being a stepcharter on the application >.>

                    You can always ask what your professor thinks too, wouldn't hurt to ask her :P
                    I think putting stepcharting on a resume for a computer programming class is just as useless as putting stepcharting on a resume for Pizza Hut (shit, do they even take resumes?). Chopping MP3s and putting arrows to beats != computer programming in any way.

                    I still stand by calling this a hobby and excluding it from your resume.

                    Comment

                    • who_cares973
                      FFR Player
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 15407

                      #25
                      Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

                      You wouldn't submit a resume to pizza hut anyway unless you were applying for a managing position


                      Even then you would still leave something like that in there under the personal section of the resume

                      I agree though cutting and extending isn't enough the way you worded

                      Comment

                      • who_cares973
                        FFR Player
                        • Aug 2006
                        • 15407

                        #26
                        Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

                        I'm allowed to put stepcharting on my resume because I've been payed to do it ;o)

                        Comment

                        • kommisar
                          Dark Chancellor
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          FFR Music Producer
                          • Jun 2005
                          • 7328

                          #27
                          Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

                          you keep bringing that up, but we all know 2 bucks per simfile isnt that special

                          Comment

                          • who_cares973
                            FFR Player
                            • Aug 2006
                            • 15407

                            #28
                            Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

                            2 bucks adds up mang
                            Last edited by who_cares973; 03-13-2011, 05:15 PM.

                            Comment

                            • Mans0n
                              Sun and Stars
                              FFR Music Producer
                              • Sep 2006
                              • 2907

                              #29
                              Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

                              Originally posted by who_cares973
                              2 bucks adds up mang
                              you have got to be joking

                              do R1 music producers make any money 0.o
                              http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/Br0wnbread



                              Check out my band profile and give it a like! :P

                              Comment

                              • leonid
                                I am leonid
                                FFR Simfile Author
                                FFR Music Producer
                                • Oct 2008
                                • 8080

                                #30
                                Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

                                unless you make a file every 12 minutes (i.e. $10/hr) it doesn't seem to have any merit



                                Proud member of Team No

                                Comment

                                Working...