Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2022, 02:25 PM   #1
ToonE156
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Default Freshman Year of HS starts tommorow

The day of reckoning is tommorow

Give me some tips so I survive. I've watched NateisLame's Freshman year survival guide but I still wanna hear what tips the FFR community has
If accuracy is not your middle name, my balls smell like lavender and honey.

Last edited by ToonE156; 08-21-2022 at 02:40 PM..
ToonE156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 02:36 PM   #2
FlynnMac
Boom.
Local FFR Person
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Freshman Year of HS starts tommorow

Best advice was just what I learned myself from being in high school, it's just most fun when you're being yourself, not trying to live up to any sort of standards (besides maybe grades, may wanna care about that) or reputation, just as long as you're happy, high school should be that much more tolerable
Old 08-21-2022, 02:55 PM   #3
InstaKill195
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 View Post

Give me some tips so I survive. I've watched NateisLame's Freshman year survival guide but I still wanna hear what tips the FFR community has
Lad you should just be sociable and become friendly, if not friends with everyone in your year. If your just starting highschool then everyone else is as well and you will probably be able to find some people you like. Overall don't create bad blood between anyone since you're there to have fun and learn - fighting is for video games
InstaKill195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 04:55 PM   #4
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

don't skip classes. They give you more freedom than you had in y1-8, don't abuse it.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 08-21-2022 at 04:56 PM..
rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 05:46 PM   #5
Shadow_God_10
Somewhere, but not here
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Shadow_God_10

Quote:

Try to be sociable and don't skip classes. I'm sure someone has said this already but eh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svaz View Post
more like Shad-hoe God am I right haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellon_collie View Post
TIL women have breasts because of horniness
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugkid666 View Post
sunfan I fucked up
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
Xel claiming that I am incapable of making mistakes and using that logic to paint me as scum does things to my body that I thought only Lewdy's stash could do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
your hentai collection is commendable. i am both in awe and afraid of you
Shadow_God_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 05:49 PM   #6
awein999
(ಠ⌣ಠ)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to awein999

as a 30 year old man i remember my biggest mistake was letting myself think going to highschool was some huge endeavor in comparison to where i was. it ended up being pretty chill once i settled in. so my advice would be don't build it up too much in your head. it doesn't have to be a big ordeal at all the transition.
awein999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:07 PM   #7
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

This will be somewhat long-winded as it contains personal anecdotes, TL;DR at the end.

Where I went to school the classes were separated by merit, normal classes, AP classes which try to "prepare" you for college, and gifted classes. When I was young (elementary) I was put in gifted classes but eventually left because I hated homework and gifted classes give lots of homework. I regretted that decision when I hit high school as I started looking to the future.

When I was put into freshman year of high school I went through in the normal classes, but realized to better my future I should aim higher. So towards the end of freshman year I went to one of the school counselors and inquired about being moved up into AP classes next year. They were very against it because my grades freshman year were sub-par. But once I explained to them that it was because I did little homework and 0 projects but still managed to pass, and when I told them I would put in more effort in harder classes, they relented and let me do one AP course to test me. Well I passed with a good grade and was allowed to take more AP classes.

Why I mention this to you: if your school has this separation of classes and you have the drive to succeed in those classes, it will be to your benefit in every way.

First off, the kids in each type of class act totally different from each other. Normal course students tended to be rowdy, have their own cliques, and class had the chance to be boring.

AP course students were more open to each other, there were still cliques but less obvious at a glance, and classes were more often interesting and light-hearted than not. I had some really personable and charismatic teachers in these classes, as well as made most of my friends there.

Gifted classes (from my limited childhood experience) invoke mixed feelings from me. The work load is harsh. The teachers tend to lean more on the serious side. Students had the chance to be enigmatic, jaded, or kept to themselves, oddly enough, I was friends with everyone in those classes (albeit there were small amounts of students). The course work was incredibly stimulating even in elementary school, and we often were taken on academic field trips that lasted days to various parts in the state, which was fun as FUCK. Some of my favorite childhood memories.

To sum this up; normal classes were not very hospitable and I had a tough time even talking to people in there. AP classes were kind of an in-between, I didn't feel comfortable approaching certain groups but I made all my long-time friends in those classes, people were more reasonable. Gifted classes require certain kinds of people with a certain kind of grindset.

TL;DR:
If you can manage to get into AP classes and thrive, I'd say you'll be more likely to make friends, your school merits will be higher and school life will be harder academically but easier socially. You'd also meet cooler teachers!
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class

Last edited by Rapta; 08-21-2022 at 06:07 PM..
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:23 PM   #8
Black_Shield
Local Kiryu impersonator
FFR Veteran

If there's any sports you enjoy, make sure to make the best of them and those moments, cause sadly, if you don't get into a collegiate league, you'll basically never play that way ever again. this is coming from a depressed soccer player.

-----------------
Stats: (spread)
3 Billion Achieved(and Veteran): July 31, 2022
4 Billion Achieved: April 1, 2023
5 Billion Achieved: July 27, 2023
Otaku Speedvibe [HEAVY]: December 5, 2023
Best AAA: Lunar Eclipse - a antion of moon #6 (51)
Best BF: Teeny Weeny String Bikini (54)
Best SDG: One Big Beautiful Sound (60)
Best FC: Bad Apple!! (62)
Black_Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:03 PM   #9
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Quote:

Don't skip class.
Don't try to fit in. Be yourself and attract the right ones around you.
All the social cliques you witness now will more than likely not stick together in the long run.
Don't let people push you around.
AND watch anime.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:38 PM   #10
Starlight562
Flower Baby♥
FFR Veteran

You have plenty of great advice already, but I'll just add on to press the importance of simply being yourself and learning to adapt well to new settings as long as you're sticking to your true nature.

I was fairly awkward as a teenager, so it was a lot of tough learning for me, and I felt pressured into doing a lot of things I never would have done without feeling like I 'needed' to be accepted.

The true, genuine friends I had never pressured me into situations where I had to push from my comfort zone while the ones I did feel pressured by always had a falling out with me, and it was never worth forcing myself through situations I never wanted to be part of.

I was not necessarily a good student, and I do regret not applying myself a little more. Thankfully it doesn't reflect to how I am now, but I wish I would have been more disciplined as a teenager to brace myself more for the discipline the real world requires. Even if the subjects may not ultimately be relevant to my future. Try to find activities that are pleasant to you that you can easily be involved with to build those fond memories for the future and practice those positive social skills.

You'll be just fine, good luck and enjoy!!

Last edited by Starlight562; 08-21-2022 at 07:40 PM..
Starlight562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:45 PM   #11
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

If I had a say/choice in re-doing my high school years, I would say "Have more confidence in yourself and your gut in what is correct".

Reminder that those around you are just as insecure, and thinking of the exactly same things as you are. If you find something in someone that you can relate to, be forward about it, bite the bullet and be the one to open up the dialogue. Worst that happens is awkwardness no less than what you've seen in middle school. They're going to be just as shy towards doing it, or will have to make a similar gesture/move towards you. Take advantage of that. Grow some confidence in yourself, and put your best foot forward and others may just put their best foot back.

Same involving your gut in what is correct. If someone else is putting their best foot forward and you feel like it's wrong, have some confidence in yourself to say no. Saying no is perfectly fine, and you don't typically need a reason or even need to expand on why.

"Friendships are two people, one putting in 60% and the other putting in 40%, but both are trying to be the one with 60%."

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:10 PM   #12
ToonE156
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

I should be heading to bed now, I have to wake up at 6 AM (which is an hour earlier than 8th grade lol)

Thanks for the tips! I'll update after the first day

Old 08-22-2022, 01:26 AM   #13
Dolletta
Carpal Tunnel Speedrunner
FFR Veteran

Some practical tips to tack on <3

-Know where each of your classes are beforehand. There's always that freshman who walks into the wrong class because they got lost.

-Don't be that kid who runs in the hallways to get to their next course!

-Pick out a spot to meet up with your friends during the lunch break, it can be chaotic to find people in an unfamiliar environment. (extra tip: try bringing your own lunch sometimes because waiting in those lines can eat up half of your break time).

-Try to finish any homework as soon as you get home while you're still in school-mode, or you'll procrastinate and end up not doing it/finishing at 3 in the morning...or right before class starts.

- Homework may seem boring and trivial but simply turning in assignments will improve your grades significantly. As someone who often missed assignments in early high school because of perfectionist anxiety, some of the best advice I can give is that a half-completed assignment is better than a zero.

-You don't have to make a million friends, but try and find a solid group of a few people who you'll know will have your back no matter what, they're out there.

Above all else, be kind. Kids are often going through a lot more than they let on. If you see someone being ostracized or bullied even a smile or a word of acknowledgment could change someone's life.
Dolletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:59 AM   #14
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Bonus tip:

As you start to adapt more to high school, please try not be one of those students that thinks they know everything. This might not be the case for you since it is your first year, but it becomes more common as you start to get closer to your senior year. One of the biggest thing I struggled with in high school was having this perception that most of the teachers in my school didn't know anything. This is a terrible mindset to have and can also hold you back.
AND watch anime.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 08:50 AM   #15
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

edge of my seat for this update tbh

Old 08-22-2022, 12:04 PM   #16
PhantomPuppy
Washed and Irrelevant D7

damn i met my best friend on my first day of high school. good times, good times.

tbh school is what you make of it. like previous people said, just find where you fit in. no point tryna force your way into cliques

10th OT (D3): 13th
11th OT (D6): 11th
12th OT (D6): 6th
13th OT (D7): 31st
14th OT (D7): 25th
15th OT (D7): LAST PLACE
16th OT (D7): LAST PLACE LOL

Quote:
you know what they say

under all the rust is really shiny...……… metal
PhantomPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 03:36 PM   #17
Akaunei
FFR Veteran

Quote:

we're in the same boat, this is my 2nd week as a freshman
Akaunei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:54 PM   #18
ToonE156
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

The first day went well. This year I have 4 classes a day opposed to the 6 a day in my last school

Most of it was just my teachers talking about rules and procedures and stuff, only exception was when my History teacher (whos a huge nerd) thought that it was dumb for us to hear this over and over so he spent like 5 less minutes going over this stuff. I do like how this year they're not enforcing the stupid hood rule so today I only got hood-checked by 1 teacher

Lunch was a different story. This year the school got a new lunch room that's actually nice.

Funny story: Me and all of my friends sat at the tables right infront of a vending machine, and one of my friends would buy people stuff as long as they also Cashapp him the money afterwards. After doing this like 5 times the lunch monitor got on his ass about it, then also told one of my other friends to throw away a freshly bough pack of chips because we can't take food out of the lunch room. Stupid asf

Good thing about me it's that my brother is a Senior so he gives me the dossiers on teachers I have

Last edited by ToonE156; 08-22-2022 at 06:55 PM..
Old 08-23-2022, 08:22 AM   #19
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

welcome to the new era where freshmen not only have cell phones but they're running a vending machine side hustle with cash app

Old 08-23-2022, 11:05 AM   #20
PhantomPuppy
Washed and Irrelevant D7

eh i got my first phone my freshman year of high school, but fr it's weird seeing like 5 year olds with phones. like who you calling kiddo? lol

10th OT (D3): 13th
11th OT (D6): 11th
12th OT (D6): 6th
13th OT (D7): 31st
14th OT (D7): 25th
15th OT (D7): LAST PLACE
16th OT (D7): LAST PLACE LOL

Quote:
you know what they say

under all the rust is really shiny...……… metal
PhantomPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote