Gimmie A Book List

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Tasselfoot
    Retired BOSS
    FFR Simfile Author
    • Jul 2003
    • 25185

    #31
    which Clancy book? I've read most of them.
    RIP

    Comment

    • blahblah18
      FFR Player
      • Aug 2004
      • 1662

      #32
      how has no one mentioned Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged? Although those are fairly ridiculous books and you really need to put the effort into them.

      I agree with chardish's list mostly, although most people I think would agree that the Old testament shoudl be read over the New Testament if a choice is needed between the 2. Its just generally more read I feel.

      for Sci-fi but with actually good storyline and charcaters, you just have to go for the Wheel of Time Series by robert Jordan
      but for now... postCount++

      Comment

      • Moogy
        嗚呼
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Aug 2003
        • 10303

        #33
        Oh yeah...

        Joseph Heller - Catch-22

        Best book ever.
        Plz visit my blog

        ^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved

        Comment

        • HansSky
          FFR Player
          • Oct 2003
          • 1925

          #34
          Originally posted by Moogy
          Originally posted by chardish
          Originally posted by GuidoHunter
          Oh, if you happen to like Victorian writers (whom I love, but not everyone shares this sentiment), check out Jane Eyre by Emily Brontë and Wuthering Heights by Charlotte Brontë. Damn fine stories chock full of beautiful language if you ask me.
          Wastes of paper if you ask me.

          Jane Eyre should be burned as fuel to heat homes.
          I agree wholeheartedly. I had to read it for school this year.

          I stopped reading after like 6 pages.

          I couldn't even finish the sparknotes because the book is so terrible.
          I can't speak for Jane Eyre, but...

          I thought Wuthering Heights was a very good book. Emily Bronte wrote that, not the other Bronte.

          Oh, and has anyone even mentioned The Odyssey or The Illiad? Those are truly wonderful books that everybody should read, no matter what your tastes are.

          Also, if you're into fucked-up adventure/fantasy/who the hell knows books, I strongly reccomend The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It's a huge 7 book series that's a complete brain-fuck to read. I love it.

          Plus, I'm a huge Stephen King fan, but even I'll say that a few of his books suck. For instance, I do NOT reccomend Gerald's Game, or...wow, the title escapes me at the moment. But yeah, don't read Gerald's Game. A waste of time.
          hi

          Comment

          • GuidoHunter
            is against custom titles
            • Oct 2003
            • 7371

            #35
            Balls. You're totally right, Hans, I got them mixed up.

            --Guido


            Originally posted by Grandiagod
            Originally posted by Grandiagod
            She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
            Sentences I thought I never would have to type.

            Comment

            • User6773

              #36
              Originally posted by blahblah18
              I agree with chardish's list mostly, although most people I think would agree that the Old testament shoudl be read over the New Testament if a choice is needed between the 2. Its just generally more read I feel.
              The Old Testament is way longer - and reads like a history book at times. A great deal of Judaic thought is echoed/reflected/touched upon in the New Testament. It's also a very bad idea to apply the Old Testament to Christian beliefs without taking in the New Testament.

              If you're going to read the Old Testament, I recommend the following books most of all: Genesis, Exodus, Deuteronomy, 1 and 2 Samuel, Isaiah, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Hosea, Wisdom. (Note: list is not all-inclusive.)

              Also, The Dark Tower is awful, from what I've heard. Highlight the text below for spoilers.
              ---------------------------
              Man sets out on journey. Man spends 7 books trying to get to the top of this tower. He gets there, and there's a door. He goes in. Suddenly he's at the beginning of his journey again, and apparantely doesn't get what happened. THE END.
              ---------------------------

              Comment

              • HansSky
                FFR Player
                • Oct 2003
                • 1925

                #37
                I won't comment on the...'ending'...but everything in between is really good. Don't let the end stop you from reading it.
                hi

                Comment

                • GuidoHunter
                  is against custom titles
                  • Oct 2003
                  • 7371

                  #38
                  Originally posted by chardish
                  If you're going to read the Old Testament, I recommend the following books most of all: Genesis, Exodus, Deuteronomy, 1 and 2 Samuel, Isaiah, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Hosea, Wisdom. (Note: list is not all-inclusive.)
                  But chardish olol my Bible doesn't have Wisdom!

                  Erm, now that I type that I feel I must clarify that I was talking about the book of Wisdom, not making a bad joke.

                  --Guido


                  Originally posted by Grandiagod
                  Originally posted by Grandiagod
                  She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
                  Sentences I thought I never would have to type.

                  Comment

                  • xiron
                    FFR Player
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 189

                    #39
                    Originally posted by vashthestampede0987
                    The Alex Rider series was good in my opinion.

                    Stormbreaker
                    Point Blank
                    Skeleton Key

                    I feel like I'm missing one of them...Tell me if I am.

                    there is either 1 or 2 more. i forget. its been a long time since i read them. darn good books though.

                    as for my list-

                    1. Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk
                    2. Anything by Ray Bradbury
                    3. I, Robot - Isaac Asimov
                    4. Anything by Dan Brown
                    5. The Anarchist's Cookbook (good for a laugh)
                    6. The Vampire Chronicles - Anne Rice
                    7. The Westmark Series - Lloyd Alexander
                    www.myspace.com/thehappyunicorns

                    Comment

                    • User6773

                      #40
                      Originally posted by xiron
                      2. Anything by Ray Bradbury
                      Specifically, The Martian Chronicles. Fahrenheit 451 is good but it's got nothing on that.

                      Comment

                      • blargherness
                        FFR Player
                        • Jan 2005
                        • 624

                        #41
                        ummm if you like fantasy-type stuff...Eragon isn't too bad. i liked it at least...can't really come up with a list right now.

                        Comment

                        • Squeek
                          let it snow~
                          • Jan 2004
                          • 14444

                          #42
                          Originally posted by chardish
                          Specifically, The Martian Chronicles. Fahrenheit 451 is good but it's got nothing on that.
                          Fahrenheit 451 is great if you catch all the metaphors and similes thrown in there.

                          Of course, it was overshadowed by the fact that I read Ender's Game about a month later, but I loved F451.

                          ~Squeek

                          Comment

                          • Moogy
                            嗚呼
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            • Aug 2003
                            • 10303

                            #43
                            Also, I suggest picking up some Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. stuff. Slaughterhouse Five of course, but all of his stuff is great.
                            Plz visit my blog

                            ^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved

                            Comment

                            • jewpinthethird
                              (The Fat's Sabobah)
                              FFR Music Producer
                              • Nov 2002
                              • 11711

                              #44
                              Originally posted by xiron
                              5. The Anarchist's Cookbook (good for a laugh)
                              Oh, what a magical book the Anarchist's Cookbook is! The moment you have the book in your possession, you automatically become a Homosexual, Satan Worshipping, Communist (despit the fact that is the Anarchist's Cookbook), America-hating-terrorist, pot-smoking, LSD dropping, liberal that is going to shoot up your school.

                              Comment

                              • Chromer
                                Hookers and Blow
                                • Jul 2003
                                • 4981

                                #45
                                The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
                                Faust
                                Divine Comedy
                                Oedipus Rex
                                1984 (Very scary book)
                                Mein Kampf (Hey it's History!)

                                Comment

                                Working...