Gimmie A Book List

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • User6773

    #16
    Originally posted by GuidoHunter
    Oh, if you happen to like Victorian writers (whom I love, but not everyone shares this sentiment), check out Jane Eyre by Emily Brontë and Wuthering Heights by Charlotte Brontë. Damn fine stories chock full of beautiful language if you ask me.
    Wastes of paper if you ask me.

    Jane Eyre should be burned as fuel to heat homes.

    Comment

    • Tasselfoot
      Retired BOSS
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Jul 2003
      • 25185

      #17
      Chardish... I've read parts of the New Testiment. But, lets NOT go into a religious discussion. We already know that you're very far on 1 side and I'm very far on the other.


      Omega:
      Check out these authors, specifically their older works:

      Lee Child (1st book is Killing Floor.. amazing!)
      Greg Iles (specifically 24 Hours, Black Cross, Dead Sleep)
      Dennis Lehane (Patrick Kenzie lehane, not Mystic River lehane... Mystic River was a terrible book compared to his earlier works. Read the Kenzie novels in order, as they have somewhat to do with each other)
      Robert Crais (Hostage, which they recently made a movie of... etc)

      Also, Tom Clancy's non-Jack Ryan books (Without Remorse and Rainbow Six) are excellent. I'm also a fan of Robert Ludlum, although his books are kind of similar (the non-Bourne books). Lastly, I just finished a book that I really enjoyed, called Point of Impant by Stephen Hunter. All about snipers, very good.
      RIP

      Comment

      • ddr_addict
        FFR Player
        • Mar 2005
        • 21

        #18
        I suggest anything by Michael Crichton. Yes, I know he did the Jurassic Park books, but he has written others that have also been turned into movies but I prefer the books, such as:

        Andromeda Strain
        Sphere
        Congo
        Timeline

        Also, see if you can find Prey and Hunted by William W. Johnstone. Those two books are good. The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice are also great. Lots of imagery and description. They can drag at times but still enjoyable to read.
        Life moves pretty fast. If you don\'t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. - Ferris Bueller\'s Day Off

        Comment

        • Freak83
          FFR Simfile Author
          FFR Simfile Author
          • Feb 2003
          • 3281

          #19
          Re: RE: Gimmie A Book List

          Originally posted by MrESqueek
          Originally posted by chardish
          Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
          Why stop there?

          First series
          Ender's Game
          Speaker for the Dead
          Xenocide
          Children of the Mind

          "Spinoff"
          Ender's Shadow
          Shadow of the Hegemon
          Shadow Puppets

          Card whored out another book after Puppets, but don't even bother. It's over at Puppets.

          ~Squeek
          Explain. I understand where you're coming from saying it's over at Puppet's but is it written as if there's nothing left to be said and it was just published as a last sequal for a money making gimmick? Do you know the basic overview of the one after Puppet's?

          Comment

          • User6773

            #20
            RE: Re: RE: Gimmie A Book List

            Kindly request that you discuss the plot of the new Ender book in another topic, if necessary; I haven't read it yet.

            Comment

            • Moogy
              嗚呼
              FFR Simfile Author
              • Aug 2003
              • 10303

              #21
              Originally posted by chardish
              Originally posted by GuidoHunter
              Oh, if you happen to like Victorian writers (whom I love, but not everyone shares this sentiment), check out Jane Eyre by Emily Brontë and Wuthering Heights by Charlotte Brontë. Damn fine stories chock full of beautiful language if you ask me.
              Wastes of paper if you ask me.

              Jane Eyre should be burned as fuel to heat homes.
              I agree wholeheartedly. I had to read it for school this year.

              I stopped reading after like 6 pages.

              I couldn't even finish the sparknotes because the book is so terrible.
              Plz visit my blog

              ^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved

              Comment

              • Chromer
                Hookers and Blow
                • Jul 2003
                • 4981

                #22
                Meh. Everyone took all of my books. I still have some good choices though. I can't remember the name of the authors so just look for the titles:

                - Lolita
                - Fire-us: The Kindling
                - Fire-us: The Keepers of The Flame
                - Fire-us: The Kiln
                - Artemis Fowl
                - Artemis Fowl: The Artic Incident
                - Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code
                - The Virgin Suicides
                - He Came To Set His Captives Free* (See Side Note)
                - Hot Zone
                - The View From Saturday
                - Faust
                - Holes
                - The Pigman
                - The House of The Red Scorpion

                As you can tell I read alot of books. My library could rival that of Yomiko Reedman's. LOL Big Anime Reference.


                *(A Christian book about a woman who became one of the Brides Of Satan and her struggle to break free of Satanism. Even if you don't believe in Religion, it's still a good book.)

                Comment

                • esupin
                  FFR Player
                  • Nov 2003
                  • 1756

                  #23
                  I've have Holes, but I haven't read it in a few years.

                  I just finished From a Buick 8 by Stephen King, though. Good stuff... better than Dreamcatcher by far.

                  http://www.youtube.com/esupin

                  Comment

                  • vashthestampede0987
                    FFR Player
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 2997

                    #24
                    The Alex Rider series was good in my opinion.

                    Stormbreaker
                    Point Blank
                    Skeleton Key

                    I feel like I'm missing one of them...Tell me if I am.
                    Omega owes me [1] omega favor
                    I am God of Hot Pockets, fear my fillings for they may be hot.


                    Originally posted by Synthlight
                    I hate myself.

                    Cheers,

                    Synthlight
                    xxpla tonic love: GIVE IT TO ME
                    xxpla tonic love: ****ing give it to me

                    Comment

                    • jewpinthethird
                      (The Fat's Sabobah)
                      FFR Music Producer
                      • Nov 2002
                      • 11711

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Tasselfoot
                      Chardish... New Testiment? I think I laughed for about 3 minutes at that. You just slipped it in and no one mentioned it. You bad bad Christian boy, you.
                      Actually, most English professors will tell you that The Bible is one of the books everyone should read before entering College. Not for the religious value, but because they insane amount of influence it has had on the history of literature.

                      Comment

                      • Chromer
                        Hookers and Blow
                        • Jul 2003
                        • 4981

                        #26
                        Bah. Dreamcatcher the book kicked ass. The movie didn't do the book justice.

                        Comment

                        • Tasselfoot
                          Retired BOSS
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          • Jul 2003
                          • 25185

                          #27
                          Jewp... I've read the entire Old Testiment. I thank 2 years of weekly Torah study for that... 1st year was the 1st 5 books, 2nd year was the rest of the OT.

                          In case you aren't familiar, I'm fairly anti-Christian anti-NT... not against the people, as Chardish and I are good friends... but in the beliefs themselves. So, while I have read 2 books of the NT, it wasn't exactly my favorite reading, and it was only done because it was required for one of my freshman classes.

                          Regardless, enough religion. this thread isn't about that.
                          RIP

                          Comment

                          • sleeplessdragn
                            ~Bang that beat Harder~
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            FFR Music Producer
                            • Jan 2004
                            • 2321

                            #28
                            Originally posted by Chromer
                            - The House of The Red Scorpion
                            Damn fine book. Strangely I haven't met another who has read this until now.

                            I also hated Jane Eyre; the book was too long and too dense. I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but I would suggest looking into The Wasteland by T. S. Elliot. The book should include collections of his poem including The Wasteland and Love Story of J. Alfred Prufrock, both of which are awesome poems.

                            Comment

                            • Omeganitros
                              auauauau
                              • Jun 2003
                              • 8897

                              #29
                              I still await my trip to the store, but I got a head-start today and got a non-Rainbow Six Tom Clancy book and Dune from the library. I'm gonna try extra-hard to like Dune and get into it this time. Last time I tried to read it...Well...That Book-A-Minute description of Dune was perfect.

                              "Frank Herbert

                              I'm lots smarter than you are. I challenge you to understand even one of my paragraphs!

                              Reader

                              Gee, Frank Herbert is smart. I can't even find the plot.




                              THE END"

                              Comment

                              • User6773

                                #30
                                God Emperor of Dune has the best ultra-condensed plot ever. Anyone who's read the book will understand this.

                                Leto II
                                Infinity.
                                Reader
                                Ouch, my head just exploded.

                                THE END

                                Comment

                                Working...