I do too many portraits.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cedolad
    moonchild~
    FFR Simfile Author
    • Jan 2007
    • 6879

    #31
    Re: I do too many portraits.

    DS, I'll pay you, to make a portrait of my gf. /srs

    Comment

    • darkshark
      Nothing.
      • Nov 2004
      • 4189

      #32
      Re: I do too many portraits.

      I must warn you, I'm not cheap xD

      Illustration/graphic work = $40/hr
      3D = $50/hr
      Animation = $85/per second of completed animation, $1,000 per scene base minimum.
      Rush animation project = $2,000 per day (When I have to outsource)

      Yeah those are my real numbers haha, and those are really low for the industry.

      Fortunately FFR is family haha, instead of paying me, buy me a really awesome keychain.

      Send me a picture.

      Comment

      • cedolad
        moonchild~
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Jan 2007
        • 6879

        #33
        Re: I do too many portraits.

        Will do. Any preferences of shots? She just got a shit ton of pictures done. So lemme know what you need and I'll weed through all of them.

        Comment

        • darkshark
          Nothing.
          • Nov 2004
          • 4189

          #34
          Re: I do too many portraits.

          pm/post a selection of ones that you want done/think look good, and I'll tell you which ones work better.

          Comment

          • G.S.M
            is watching
            • Mar 2006
            • 1072

            #35
            Re: I do too many portraits.

            This is just amazing! Keep up the good work!
            "Someone once said, 'Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make its own judgments'."

            Comment

            • ghost-
              Banned
              • Dec 2010
              • 787

              #36
              Re: I do too many portraits.

              holy shit ds, I can't wait to see more of your work. You are seriously f*cking pro and should sell that shit for like a million. This other b.s. I see in art museums doesn't stand a chance against this. ;/

              Comment

              • darkshark
                Nothing.
                • Nov 2004
                • 4189

                #37
                Re: I do too many portraits.

                Unfortunately I have to be dead in order for my artwork to be worth anything. Just kinda how it works =(

                Comment

                • aperson
                  FFR Hall of Fame
                  FFR Simfile Author
                  • Jul 2003
                  • 3434

                  #38
                  Re: I do too many portraits.

                  Very nicely done.

                  Two small critical notes:
                  - Looks like you could use some more definition b/w the nose ridge and the right eye. Some shadows to bring out the depth
                  - I'd like to see the eye reflections modeled after the photo instead of the triangle dots you went with. I feel like it validates the lighting in the scene more when that kind of information is preserved.

                  Comment

                  • darkshark
                    Nothing.
                    • Nov 2004
                    • 4189

                    #39
                    Re: I do too many portraits.

                    You have no idea how many times I redid the reflections in the eye haha. Initially it was based on the original reflection, but no matter what I did with it, I never got it to look quite right, and I eventually settled on what is there now. There is still slight remnants of my initial reflection seen most prominently in her right eye (eye on the left).

                    And as for adding shadows around the bridge of the nose...the light source is >>>>>>>>> over there, and in the original photo it appears to be pretty much directed from a 45 degreeish angle toward her face, which would make it nearly impossible for a shadow to be cast there? I do agree that it's a tad flat, I'm just worried it would skew the light source direction and ruin it for the rest of the face.

                    Comment

                    • aperson
                      FFR Hall of Fame
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      • Jul 2003
                      • 3434

                      #40
                      Re: I do too many portraits.

                      Yea, even in the picture there are some surprisingly off-white midtones around the edge of the right-eye to give it some depth even while it's mostly washed out. Getting that kind of thing right is an obnoxious game of getting exactly the brightness you want though, which sucks.

                      Comment

                      • Nullifidian
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                        FFR Simfile Author
                        • Sep 2007
                        • 1837

                        #41
                        Re: I do too many portraits.

                        Really nicely done, especially in such a short time.
                        Three little points of critique though. The (for her) left eye iris looks smaller than the right because the edge of the iris isn't as close to the bottom eyelid compared to the other. The skin could use some pores, because right now it looks very smooth. And the hair could use some better definition. The hair at the moment kinda looks like a solid something, but if you added a few tiny strokes of sharp reflection it would make it pop out much more as hair.
                        Last edited by Nullifidian; 02-19-2011, 04:30 AM.

                        Comment

                        • darkshark
                          Nothing.
                          • Nov 2004
                          • 4189

                          #42
                          Re: I do too many portraits.

                          I am forever cursed with not being able to draw hair .___.

                          I drew this while at work and ended up running out of time before adding another layer of refinement to it. Then when I looked at it the next day I just felt like it was finished =/
                          I think that's one of my worst tendencies, I lose all motivation and/or rush whenever I get near then end of a painting, and then don't get the level of quality that I know I'm capable of, yet choose not to complete =(

                          Comment

                          • who_cares973
                            FFR Player
                            • Aug 2006
                            • 15407

                            #43
                            Re: I do too many portraits.

                            this motivated me to start drawing again. i got through 2/3 of the drawing and realized i completely ****ed up the nose

                            i hate doing that

                            Comment

                            • cedolad
                              moonchild~
                              FFR Simfile Author
                              • Jan 2007
                              • 6879

                              #44
                              Re: I do too many portraits.

                              Originally posted by darkshark
                              pm/post a selection of ones that you want done/think look good, and I'll tell you which ones work better.
                              It won't be until about Monday to get all the good pictures. She has a few on her fb but they kinda suck. :/

                              Comment

                              • darkshark
                                Nothing.
                                • Nov 2004
                                • 4189

                                #45
                                Re: I do too many portraits.

                                Originally posted by who_cares973
                                this motivated me to start drawing again. i got through 2/3 of the drawing and realized i completely ****ed up the nose

                                i hate doing that
                                I do this a lot, whatever part I mess up on I just completely erase it, and then go work on a completely different section. Come back to the messed up part after you're done with other stuff in the picture, usually ends up turning out decent the second time around.

                                Comment

                                Working...