How good is your sense of rhythm?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DossarLX ODI
    Batch Manager
    Game Manager
    FFR Simfile Author
    • Mar 2008
    • 15013

    #16
    Re: How good is your sense of rhythm?

    I can AAA most songs on FFR relying on my keytaps

    But then scored 64% on this

    gg

    Honestly I couldn't tell what the test was even asking
    Originally posted by hi19hi19
    oh boy, it's STIFF, I'll stretch before I sit down at the computer so not I'm not as STIFF next time I step a file

    Comment

    • Evnoir
      _(:3」∠)_
      • Sep 2008
      • 978

      #17
      Re: How good is your sense of rhythm?

      Originally posted by subin
      Well done on your score! By the way, I'm a music major and I didn't get 100%. We all have fields in musical attributes we are stronger in. Looking at the students in my tutorials, there are some who have trouble singing a 'do' of any given scale, or have very little rhythmical sense. There are others who are perfect pitched, but have trouble identifying types of scales (various modes).

      Personally, I'm quite strong with my ear, but I lack technical accuracy in my performance (hitting the correct notes). I'm strong with phrasing and stylistic performance. I am weaker in advanced chordal functions, and stronger in rhythmical, harmonic and melodic relationships.

      Before I attended the university that I'm currently at, I also thought that music majors would surpass my expectations - that definitely wasn't the case. However, we are there because there are things we have an upper hand in, and that's what really counts - they aim to excel you in the fields you are good at. They do try to excel you in various other fields, such as rhythmic, harmonic and melodic (or even repertoire) dictations/excerpts, but like everything else, you'll find people in all parts of the spectrum.
      Ah, I see. This has been very informative.
      Just to prove your point, I referred this to my friend who is also a piano major (jazz piano / tenor sax double major) - absolutely sucked at this and got 68% lmao
      Sometimes I wonder how my friend even got in knowing his highschool music grade were about average, but I guess he must have a certain trait that he excels in. Then again, my highschool senior jazz class was extremely difficult to score well on.

      One of the hard tests went like this: the teacher would play an obscure inverted chord on the piano. Then, the teacher would say something like "2nd and 4th note", and the students would have to determine the interval between the 2nd and 4th note of that weird chord. The teacher would sometimes screw you over and play a chord with a bunch of minor 2nds or a bunch of tritones lmao

      Edit: Yay, 500 posts
      Last edited by Evnoir; 11-27-2011, 10:59 PM.

      Comment

      • 00Razor00
        FFR Player
        • Jul 2006
        • 3530

        #18
        Re: How good is your sense of rhythm?

        68%


        Originally posted by t-rogdor
        hey buddy are you looking for a good song to step because if so i really recommend you step In Front Of A Bus

        Comment

        • i love you
          Live a wonderful life~
          FFR Simfile Author
          • Oct 2006
          • 7315

          #19
          Re: How good is your sense of rhythm?

          I was not expecting this at all...
          ===============================
          The idea that RDCP 3 may come out in the future is a fun thought to have~
          ===============================

          Comment

          • DossarLX ODI
            Batch Manager
            Game Manager
            FFR Simfile Author
            • Mar 2008
            • 15013

            #20
            Re: How good is your sense of rhythm?

            I'd really like to know what this is testing/asking because this is really confusing.
            Originally posted by hi19hi19
            oh boy, it's STIFF, I'll stretch before I sit down at the computer so not I'm not as STIFF next time I step a file

            Comment

            • Superfreak04
              D7 Elite Keymasher
              • Jan 2007
              • 2407

              #21
              Re: How good is your sense of rhythm?

              Originally posted by DossarLX ODI
              I'd really like to know what this is testing/asking because this is really confusing.
              Recent research has emerged suggesting that rhythm perception and pitch perception deficits may be linked. I thought it would be interesting to make a test that would give an objective measure of rhythm perception. There is also a large degree of "rhythm memory" that is also incidentally tested. It is far easier to remember melodies than it is rhythms: give this test a try, you will quickly see how difficult it is!

              Abstract
              PURPOSE:

              Congenital amusia (tone deafness) is a disorder in which those affected typically complain of or are identified by their inability to sing in tune. A psychophysical and possibly surrogate marker of this condition is the inability to recognize deviations in pitch that are one semitone (100 cents) or less. The aim of our study was to identify candidate brain regions that might be associated with this disorder.
              METHODS:

              We used Voxel-Based-Morphometry (VBM) to correlate performance on a commonly used assessment tool, the Montreal Battery for the Evaluation of Amusia (MBEA), with local inter-individual variations in gray matter volumes across a large group of individuals (n=51) to identify brain regions potentially involved in the expression of this disorder.
              RESULTS:

              The analysis across the entire brain space revealed significant covariations between performance on the MBEA and inter-individual gray matter volume variations in the left superior temporal sulcus (BA 22) and the left inferior frontal gyrus (BA 47). The regression analyses identified subregions within the inferior frontal gyrus, and inferior portion of BA47 that correlated with performance on melodic subtests, while gray matter volume variations in a more superior subregion of BA47 correlated with performance on rhythmic subtests.
              CONCLUSIONS:

              Our analyses demonstrate the existence of a left fronto-temporal network that appears to be involved in the melodic and rhythmic discrimination skills measured by the MBEA battery. These regions could also be part of a network that enable subjects to map motor actions to sounds including a feedback loop that allows for correction of motor actions (i.e., singing) based on perceptual feedback. Thus, it is conceivable that individuals with congenital amusia, or the inability to sing in tune, may actually have an impairment of the auditory-motor feedback loop and/or auditory-motor mapping system.

              Comment

              • qqwref
                stepmania archaeologist
                FFR Simfile Author
                • Aug 2005
                • 4092

                #22
                Re: How good is your sense of rhythm?

                84% - I'm pretty happy with that. I had some musical training when I was younger (violin when I was really young, then piano for a while later on), but it didn't really stick and I never got into much music theory or sightreading. I think the rhythm gaming had a much bigger effect on any music ability I have now.
                Best AAA: Policy In The Sky [Oni] (81)
                Best SDG: PANTS (86)
                Best FC: Future Invasion (93)

                Comment

                • TheThong
                  ♩♪♫♬♭♮♯
                  • May 2009
                  • 520

                  #23
                  Re: How good is your sense of rhythm?

                  64%. My drum teacher would be ashamed. Haha.

                  Comment

                  • Evnoir
                    _(:3」∠)_
                    • Sep 2008
                    • 978

                    #24
                    Re: How good is your sense of rhythm?

                    Originally posted by i love you
                    I was not expecting this at all...
                    "It is purposely made very difficult"

                    wat.

                    Nice hearing Rebound

                    Comment

                    • UserNameGoesHere
                      FFR Veteran
                      • May 2008
                      • 1114

                      #25
                      Re: How good is your sense of rhythm?

                      I got 88%

                      How good/bad is that for someone who has had no formal musical training?

                      86.1% on the tone test linked from that original test page.

                      4.5 Hz on the adaptive pitch test.

                      90% on the visual test
                      Last edited by UserNameGoesHere; 11-27-2011, 11:57 PM.
                      Originally posted by Crashfan3
                      Man, what would we do without bored rednecks?
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • benguino
                        Kawaii Desu Ne?
                        • Dec 2007
                        • 4190

                        #26
                        Re: How good is your sense of rhythm?

                        72%. I messed up on too many of the "easy" ones. :P
                        AMA: http://ask.fm/benguino


                        Originally posted by Spenner
                        (^)> peck peck says the heels
                        Originally posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
                        And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
                        Originally posted by Zakvvv666
                        awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing

                        Comment

                        • EzExZeRo7497
                          ⠀
                          • Dec 2010
                          • 6858

                          #27
                          Re: How good is your sense of rhythm?

                          76%

                          Some of them really threw me off because I thought volume is also counted as a difference.

                          Comment

                          • supermousie
                            FFR Player
                            • Feb 2006
                            • 1074

                            #28
                            Re: How good is your sense of rhythm?

                            64% correct.

                            Bollocks. Explains the 9001 goods I get on each song. :/

                            Nice score Rebound! *cough* SHOOP *cough*
                            Last edited by supermousie; 11-28-2011, 05:26 AM.
                            Originally posted by aperson
                            yolo

                            Comment

                            • One Winged Angel
                              Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
                              FFR Simfile Author
                              • Mar 2007
                              • 10837

                              #29
                              Re: How good is your sense of rhythm?

                              96% and I just woke up like 3 minutes ago haha

                              Got 24 wrong for some reason


                              Originally posted by ilikexd
                              i want to be cucked by cirno

                              Comment

                              • leonid
                                I am leonid
                                FFR Simfile Author
                                FFR Music Producer
                                • Oct 2008
                                • 8080

                                #30
                                Re: How good is your sense of rhythm?

                                84% xd



                                Proud member of Team No

                                Comment

                                Working...