hmm, I wonder, whats gonna happen now with admins/mods ....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • foilman8805
    smoke wheat hail satin
    FFR Simfile Author
    • Sep 2006
    • 5704

    #31
    Re: hmm, I wonder, whats gonna happen now with admins/mods ....

    Originally posted by X{Krunkykai}X
    Foilman: You see in certain communities you start to know peoples first names. Dragons Fury for example, over there you kinda lately don't see many people NOT calling people by their first names. However, I'll stop for your being.
    Well this is a much, much larger community than Dragon's Fury. Additionally, not a whole lot of people even know Synthlight's first name, so it's just confusing to everyone else on top of it all.

    I prefer my relative anonymity, and I imagine Synthlight does too.

    Comment

    • Izzy
      Snek
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Jan 2003
      • 9195

      #32
      Re: hmm, I wonder, whats gonna happen now with admins/mods ....

      Originally posted by MrRubix
      Becoming admin is not about technological/managerial merit (if this were true, I'd be an admin eons ago). You still have to be a decent member of the community. If you run around trolling and/or being an ass like yours truly, people get wary.
      Well, synthlight has to like you and think you are a good addition to the team.

      Comment

      • X{Krunkykai}X
        FFR Player
        • Oct 2010
        • 22

        #33
        Re: hmm, I wonder, whats gonna happen now with admins/mods ....

        I understand. But, he has given out his name publicly otherwise everyone over at DF wouldn't know who he was :P But, no worries man.

        Oh, and you still have the creepiest avatar ......

        Comment

        • kommisar
          Dark Chancellor
          FFR Simfile Author
          FFR Music Producer
          • Jun 2005
          • 7328

          #34
          Re: hmm, I wonder, whats gonna happen now with admins/mods ....

          I would argue that an admin should be involved within the community. admins are, after all, representing who's working on the site and how they can improve keeping in touch with everyone else.

          Comment

          • MrRubix
            FFR Player
            • Sep 2026
            • 8340

            #35
            Re: hmm, I wonder, whats gonna happen now with admins/mods ....

            I second the first-name thing. It's generally creepy.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0es0Mip1jWY

            Comment

            • bmah
              shots FIRED
              Profile Moderator
              FFR Simfile Author
              Global Moderator
              • Oct 2003
              • 8448

              #36
              Re: hmm, I wonder, whats gonna happen now with admins/mods ....

              Originally posted by kommisar
              I would argue that an admin should be involved within the community. admins are, after all, representing who's working on the site and how they can improve keeping in touch with everyone else.
              I thought this was a given? All too often though, admins don't keep in touch with the community, just like the higher European echelons of kings and queens of the middle ages. I always have found that my experiences were better if the admins were actively involved with the rest of the site.

              @personal name issue: ditto, pretty weird

              Comment

              • MrRubix
                FFR Player
                • Sep 2026
                • 8340

                #37
                Re: hmm, I wonder, whats gonna happen now with admins/mods ....

                That's what Tass' job was. He was pretty much on-call 24/7.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0es0Mip1jWY

                Comment

                • Ephraim Desole
                  FFR Player
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 308

                  #38
                  Re: hmm, I wonder, whats gonna happen now with admins/mods ....

                  Originally posted by foilman8805
                  Well this is a much, much larger community than Dragon's Fury. Additionally, not a whole lot of people even know Synthlight's first name, so it's just confusing to everyone else on top of it all.

                  I prefer my relative anonymity, and I imagine Synthlight does too.
                  Originally posted by MrRubix
                  I second the first-name thing. It's generally creepy.
                  Originally posted by bmah
                  @personal name issue: ditto, pretty weird
                  All of this.


                  Originally posted by Vendetta21
                  "Someone is making a bad post! On FFR! Let's crowd in a circle around them and grab each others' dicks comrades. Team Litodude, ASSSEEEEEMMMBLEEE!"

                  Comment

                  • scientific
                    FFR Player
                    • Oct 2010
                    • 156

                    #39
                    Re: hmm, I wonder, whats gonna happen now with admins/mods ....

                    contender for worst thread of all time
                    ya

                    Comment

                    • DotKritic
                      Forum User
                      • Jun 2009
                      • 2974

                      #40
                      Re: hmm, I wonder, whats gonna happen now with admins/mods ....

                      This thread is going all over the place.

                      Just sayin'.

                      PS. I third the first-name thing.

                      FFR Member Since December 17th, 2004
                      Save 50% on Codecademy Plus, Pro, or Pro Student

                      Comment

                      • DotKritic
                        Forum User
                        • Jun 2009
                        • 2974

                        #41
                        Re: hmm, I wonder, whats gonna happen now with admins/mods ....

                        Originally posted by scientific
                        contender for worst thread of all time
                        And worst n00b: X{Krunkykai}X

                        Just sayin'.

                        FFR Member Since December 17th, 2004
                        Save 50% on Codecademy Plus, Pro, or Pro Student

                        Comment

                        • bmah
                          shots FIRED
                          Profile Moderator
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          Global Moderator
                          • Oct 2003
                          • 8448

                          #42
                          Re: hmm, I wonder, whats gonna happen now with admins/mods ....

                          Originally posted by MrRubix
                          That's what Tass' job was. He was pretty much on-call 24/7.
                          In the most agreeable conditions, I would've liked Synth to participate more in the community, because Tass didn't necessarily do the best representation of the opinions and mood of the administration. But this isn't realistic I guess. Just like it's often rare to see your manager in your job, you don't see Synth too often. But Synth's presence was a tad more than sporadic I'd have to say.

                          Comment

                          • T-Force
                            Your world ends with you
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            • Jan 2007
                            • 4753

                            #43
                            Re: hmm, I wonder, whats gonna happen now with admins/mods ....

                            I'm pretty sure everyone thinks the first name thing is weird.
                            Like on DF, it's a tight-knit group where most of us get along with the others and spend enough time with each other to learn names and build friendships.
                            Over here, everyone is kind of isolated. We know who others are by username, and we're cool with it. As well, unlike DF, you have people on FFR who all have different likes, intentions and whatnot.

                            tl;dr: small communities where everyone's all cool with everyone = first name basis
                            Big communities, leave it alone.
                            Life is simply unfair... Don't you think?

                            Comment

                            • foilman8805
                              smoke wheat hail satin
                              FFR Simfile Author
                              • Sep 2006
                              • 5704

                              #44
                              Re: hmm, I wonder, whats gonna happen now with admins/mods ....

                              Originally posted by DotKritic
                              And worst n00b: X{Krunkykai}X

                              Just sayin'.

                              ur madmatt

                              Just sayin'.

                              Comment

                              • kommisar
                                Dark Chancellor
                                FFR Simfile Author
                                FFR Music Producer
                                • Jun 2005
                                • 7328

                                #45
                                Re: hmm, I wonder, whats gonna happen now with admins/mods ....

                                I dont care what people call me. my personal life isn't much of a mystery and I'm fine with it that way.


                                I've met a few dudes from online irl and we call each other by our names all the time. But I guess that's normal. More frequent in smaller communities that know each other well.

                                Comment

                                Working...