What's public transit like where you live?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • soramimi
    Cat Army Coordinator
    • Jul 2013
    • 333

    #16
    Re: What's public transit like where you live?

    Van is really just an issue with how much construction has been happening and how overcrowded it's been. I'm hoping that things will be more stable soon. I am excited for the Evergreen line and the updated Expo line.

    In any case, I used to live in both Squamish and Kelowna. Squamish has 3 buses, sometimes 4. They do the routes maybe once every hour. You basically have to get to your location super early and wait to transfer.
    Kelowna, meanwhile... it was such a sprawled out city. The buses couldn't really accommodate it. After the university became more populated, the routes had to change to take on more students, but the buses were almost always full. Plus the routes only ran every half hour to hour for the non-university lines. It took forever to get anywhere. @_@

    Comment

    • Reincarnate
      x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
      • Nov 2010
      • 6332

      #17
      Re: What's public transit like where you live?

      NYC here.

      Public transit can get a lot of shit here because everything looks somewhat run down (with the exception of newer stuff like the Fulton transit center) and it can get crowded depending on where you are going, but overall I love the convenience.

      There are subway lines everywhere and they run frequently, despite being an older system. If you don't like the subway, then you can always use a bus. If you need to cross the river, there are bridges, underground subway lines, ferries, etc.

      And if you want to visit a neighboring city, it's usually just a quick train/bus ride away. You can easily get to areas like Boston, DC, Philly, etc.

      I've almost never needed a car while living here (and when I do, I just rent Zipcar for the day). Sometimes I'll call an Uber if a line is down somewhere that would make pubic transit too inconvenient that day.

      But yeah the public transit is convenient here. It's really freeing -- I prefer it to living situations where you need a car to get around or else you're fucked. I'd also prefer not to deal with the hassle of buying a car, paying for maintenance, worrying about parking, paying for gas, etc.
      Last edited by Reincarnate; 09-18-2016, 11:32 AM.

      Comment

      • top
        Banned
        • Apr 2012
        • 1907

        #18
        Re: What's public transit like where you live?

        Buses everywhere they're slow as shit

        Comment

        • Travis_Flesher
          Champion
          • May 2011
          • 791

          #19
          the public transit where I live

          When I walk around no one is ever at the bus stops
          but when I ride the bus it lets people off
          and on at nearly every stop. Odd.
          Join the discussion for "The Currency of the Beast"
          from Biggs89 of BetCorps Publications, Inc.

          Comment

          • drizzleRomanceGirl
            It's okay to be yourself.
            • Oct 2012
            • 2963

            #20
            Re: What's public transit like where you live?

            i've been taking the bus for 2-3 years and i love it

            however, most buses arrive every 30 minutes here and some only arrive every hour

            whenever i go to a bus stop i usually only have to wait for 5-15 minutes though if i don't time it so i usually don't have to wait that long

            it's really inexpensive though and i love seeing all the people on the bus and talking with the bus driver

            i can relax without worrying about driving and i never have to walk far since they stop at most of the streets with signs and traffic lights

            however, since they only arrive every 30 minutes, the streets that are really busy have A LOT of people on each bus in the afternoon and it's so crowded that you can barely move and there's no space anywhere

            sometimes i have to wait for the next bus on those streets because some buses literally cannot fit any more people; however, there's two different bus lines on that street so i don't have to wait for that long

            but most streets aren't that busy and most buses don't have that many people on it

            buses are really useful here but i wish there were a lot more bus lines, not just ones that go on the major streets and i wish they arrived every 15 minutes

            i can also take trains here, but i usually don't take a train unless it's at least 15 miles away because they only stop every 10 miles or so; they're also pretty inexpensive but the train stop closest to me is about 6 miles away so i have to take two buses just to get there

            i do love riding the train but it's usually not convenient unless i'm going really far
            Last edited by drizzleRomanceGirl; 09-18-2016, 01:27 PM.
            hi

            my discord username is drizzleRomanceGirl0706 in case anyone wants to message me

            Division 5 2nd place

            Originally posted by hosua
            Oh, I thought it was just my internet this whole time.
            Originally posted by rushyrulz
            Also that triple post is almost as delicious as a hot, fresh, Domino's pizza.
            Originally posted by aperson
            can y'all take a break and kiss
            (the first section of this chapter)

            https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5125582...sokyo-no-Jinja

            Comment

            • gold stinger
              Signature Extraordinare~~
              Event Staff
              Game Manager
              FFR Simfile Author
              FFR Music Producer
              Global Moderator
              • Jan 2007
              • 6429

              #21
              Re: What's public transit like where you live?

              I live a bit of ways outside of Toronto in a city called Peterborough, and as a person who has lived in both cities, I wish I had subways again. Buses on routes here are ~30 - 45mins in between, but I only use them if absolutely necessary because fortunately enough I live straight smack dab in the middle of it.

              Also I enjoy walking outside, especially when everything more or less required is a short walk away. <3
              Last edited by gold stinger; 09-18-2016, 06:58 PM.
              Originally posted by YoshL
              butts.


              - Tosh 2014






              Comment

              • Crashfan3
                FFR Player
                • Nov 2006
                • 2937

                #22
                Re: What's public transit like where you live?

                Public transport is pretty garbage here tbh, but what do you expect for a rural city?

                There are two regional buses, one that makes an east/west ~40 mile loop and one that makes a north/south ~80 mile loop. There's also a city bus but the bus stops are too few and too far between. The nearest one from my house is about a half a mile... might as well walk.

                I bought a car straight out of high school, it's essential if you want to get anywhere in life while living here.

                Comment

                Working...