What motivates you in FFR?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Hakulyte
    aka Haku
    • Jul 2005
    • 4697

    #16
    Re: What motivates you in FFR?

    I probably unconsciously enjoy suffering to be still around I changed key setup/keyboard etc. and my whole perspective of the game slightly changed. Any changes to how you play can easily makes the game a lot more interesting.

    OWA, let's be rivals~

    ..oh he ran away..
    Last edited by Hakulyte; 01-31-2013, 11:06 PM.

    Comment

    • LongGone
      -
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Jul 2008
      • 1679

      #17
      Re: What motivates you in FFR?

      Playing through every (public) song and trying to AAA as many as I could
      My Solo Simfiles
      My Solo Simfiles Part 2

      Originally posted by Choofers
      people age at a rate of about 1 year per year

      Comment

      • ilikexd
        ​
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Apr 2006
        • 3209

        #18
        Re: What motivates you in FFR?

        What used to motivate me in FFR -- I liked seeing my AAA bar grow, so I only played things to AAA them. I didn't bother playing a lot of higher level songs because I knew that once I was better the AAA on them would come easily. FFR turned into something of an RPG where the goal was to get a full AAA bar. Boy how fucking wrong was I. I got into StepMania and couldn't turn back after the first day after experiencing the superior engine, marvelous timing, and different parameters of what constitutes a "good" score.

        In general, I really dislike FFR. Often playing will consist of only trying to AAA/FC songs once you reach a higher level. This is fuel for rage, mindblocks, frustration, and little to no improvement. I took this way too far personally, but I assume it affects almost all players to a certain agree.

        The last thing that ever stopped me from switching from FFR to SM was the comfort of knowing all my scores would be recorded and ranked. Once I got past this and moved on to SM, playing became more enjoyable, leisurely, and I noticed immense improvements in short periods of time.

        Additionally, with SM comes the comfort of not being "forced" into playing bad/unejoyable charts because there is no "pressure" to get your bars up. If you don't like something, don't play it. The amount of songs available on SM is effectively infinite, where FFR only has around 1,500, many of which are too easy to be worth playing for higher level players (or the other way around). Then there is always the option of stepping your own files which adds a new appreciation to the game and rhythm gaming in general.

        Lastly, I feel that SM has a much higher skill-cap than FFR, and an a more complete skillset that can be worked on. Speed seems to be capped very high with top-tier players showing their abilities to combo 400 bpm streams. Accuracy also seems almost infinite with J7 and potentially higher, allowing top MA players to become near-metronomic. Unfortunately, this doesn't exist on FFR due to the fact that as very high speeds are approached, frames become mashed together, and speed mods beyond 2.25x are almost entirely inadvisable since the viewing window for FFR notes is much shorter. This prevents being able to read very fast patterns, with most top players effectively using about C600, whereas SM players often go up to 900 with distant. The perfect frame on FFR is too big, and being fast on FFR tends to be accompanied with inaccuracy in general. Paradoxically, it can also be harder, or more "luck"-based to PA since frames get unevenly placed and flash is very susceptible to lag -- even the slightest bit can subtly ruin a score. Not criticizing this, as it's kind of necessary for recording and to catch cheaters, just mentioning it.

        No longer motivated to play here, but it was really fun while it lasted.

        Hopefully that's not too biased and/or off-topic.

        Comment

        • One Winged Angel
          Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
          FFR Simfile Author
          • Mar 2007
          • 10837

          #19
          Re: What motivates you in FFR?

          Originally posted by Hakulyte
          OWA, let's be rivals~
          lol if you're serious, sure...honestly, being in direct competition with subin helped me bust through a plateau I'd been stuck at for three years or so, so I wouldn't mind having another semi-serious rival


          Originally posted by ilikexd
          i want to be cucked by cirno

          Comment

          • syite
            Dreifach-Eins# 372.9
            • Aug 2007
            • 154

            #20
            Re: What motivates you in FFR?

            Impressing myself. Pushing to get better at harder and harder songs with crazier skill types thrown in them. I guess my motivation is that wall I hit every time I improve a little bit.

            Comment

            • Mollocephalus
              Custom User Title
              • Jul 2009
              • 2608

              #21
              Re: What motivates you in FFR?

              Originally posted by LongGone
              Playing through every (public) song and trying to AAA as many as I could
              This, when i came back i just started going through every possible song and after a couple months the results were already showing. Never been a good stepmania player, but seems like i can be a decent ffr player.

              Comment

              • 8 Hour Whore
                ←↓↑→ Lets Bang? ←↓↑→
                • Oct 2006
                • 2324

                #22
                Re: What motivates you in FFR?

                This is very simple for me... To be one of the top 50 players. It's a long shot from where I am but... Everytime I go away I remember how good I used to be at something. The competition isn't really what drives me but more of... I want to be good at something.

                Usually when I rival someone I skyrocket. Any takers? =D
                R.I.P JellyGod <333

                Best AAA: Banned Forever
                BlackFlags: 49

                Comment

                • Mollocephalus
                  Custom User Title
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 2608

                  #23
                  Re: What motivates you in FFR?

                  i'm taking it! challenge me

                  Comment

                  • DossarLX ODI
                    Batch Manager
                    Game Manager
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    • Mar 2008
                    • 15013

                    #24
                    Re: What motivates you in FFR?

                    For me, it's stepping and examining files now.

                    The traditional hard files (back in 2008 like Eclipse, Almost There, etc.) were by far the most appealing to me even if I didn't do that well on them at the time. Now I see too many burst heavy files and color note abuse with songs that I don't like.

                    Most of my plays came from players pestering me back in 2010 about improving my FFR stats since I only had scores on FGOs. January 2011 was when I took the initiative to give avrank a shot. After a while though the files started having certain parts (e.g. Schmollbluk) that would muck up my AAAs even if I could do everything else. Needless to say this was aggravating as hell considering I came from a speed/rate stepmania background and could do most of the other parts.

                    Honestly I think it just comes down to your personal preference. What stands out to me from stepmania in FFR is no chord cohesion. It shows how hard certain patterns are when you could just BS them with more ease in stepmania.
                    Originally posted by hi19hi19
                    oh boy, it's STIFF, I'll stretch before I sit down at the computer so not I'm not as STIFF next time I step a file

                    Comment

                    • Xiz
                      TWG Chaos
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      • Feb 2012
                      • 3399

                      #25
                      Re: What motivates you in FFR?

                      Right now for me its the friendly community I have jumped into. While there are indeed a bunch of trolls, there have been a lot of people have been really nice and respectful, and perusing me to do ffr more.

                      Comment

                      • DossarLX ODI
                        Batch Manager
                        Game Manager
                        FFR Simfile Author
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 15013

                        #26
                        Re: What motivates you in FFR?

                        I'd have to say this community is a lot better than other rhythm gaming communities. I've made some awesome friends here.
                        Originally posted by hi19hi19
                        oh boy, it's STIFF, I'll stretch before I sit down at the computer so not I'm not as STIFF next time I step a file

                        Comment

                        • xNiX
                          FFR Player
                          • Dec 2012
                          • 1063

                          #27
                          Re: What motivates you in FFR?

                          Originally posted by DossarLX ODI
                          I'd have to say this community is a lot better than other rhythm gaming communities. I've made some awesome friends here.
                          Likewise.

                          Comment

                          • smartdude1212
                            2 is poo
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            • Sep 2005
                            • 6687

                            #28
                            Re: What motivates you in FFR?

                            Originally posted by One Winged Angel
                            Used to be subin, now nothing really :'(
                            You cunt, every time I sup one of your scores you know it motivates you.

                            Comment

                            • xNiX
                              FFR Player
                              • Dec 2012
                              • 1063

                              #29
                              Re: What motivates you in FFR?

                              Originally posted by 8 Hour Whore
                              This is very simple for me... To be one of the top 50 players. It's a long shot from where I am but... Everytime I go away I remember how good I used to be at something. The competition isn't really what drives me but more of... I want to be good at something.

                              Usually when I rival someone I skyrocket. Any takers? =D
                              You can rival me. :3

                              Comment

                              • basicdrummerman
                                rusty old fart
                                Event Staff
                                FFR Simfile Author
                                FFR Music Producer
                                • Oct 2007
                                • 1259

                                #30
                                Re: What motivates you in FFR?

                                Originally posted by 8 Hour Whore
                                This is very simple for me... To be one of the top 50 players. It's a long shot from where I am but... Everytime I go away I remember how good I used to be at something. The competition isn't really what drives me but more of... I want to be good at something.

                                Usually when I rival someone I skyrocket. Any takers? =D
                                i thought i was already your rival?

                                Comment

                                Working...