Nintendo Confirms New Console for 2012, Details at E3 2011

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Phlegmatism
    FFR Player
    • Apr 2011
    • 128

    #31
    Re: Nintendo Confirms New Console for 2012, Details at E3 2011

    The best part about Nintendo is that they're leading gaming into the transition stages of the next landmark console. I personally felt that NES transitioned into SNES. The NES idea had to come first, and then it was refined and molded into much smoother and reactive gameplay in the SNES. The N64 introduced a lot more 3D. Platformers evolved, multiplayer gaming was prominent. Then the gamecube refined the N64's 3D graphics into smooth seamless polygon sequences with beautifully reactive mechanics like in SSBM. I feel as if the Wii is the transition console for something I'm going to be much more satisfied with. Interactive gaming is sorely underrated in my opinion. I can't stand the majority of Wii games, but whatever Nintendo spits out, it's going to be revolutionary guaranteed. Online gaming may become a standard soon enough.

    Comment

    • ddrxero64
      FFR Player
      • Nov 2008
      • 790

      #32
      Re: Nintendo Confirms New Console for 2012, Details at E3 2011

      Originally posted by Phlegmatism
      Online gaming may become a standard soon enough.
      I hope so, lots of online games are fun. All SSBB fans were disappointed when there weren't online ranks for the game. The online multiplayer was awful too, I'm guessing this console will have to be more powerful to provide better online play for the Nintendo based games.

      Comment

      • bmah
        shots FIRED
        Profile Moderator
        FFR Simfile Author
        Global Moderator
        • Oct 2003
        • 8448

        #33
        Re: Nintendo Confirms New Console for 2012, Details at E3 2011

        Originally posted by Phlegmatism
        The best part about Nintendo is that they're leading gaming into the transition stages of the next landmark console. I personally felt that NES transitioned into SNES. The NES idea had to come first, and then it was refined and molded into much smoother and reactive gameplay in the SNES. The N64 introduced a lot more 3D. Platformers evolved, multiplayer gaming was prominent. Then the gamecube refined the N64's 3D graphics into smooth seamless polygon sequences with beautifully reactive mechanics like in SSBM. I feel as if the Wii is the transition console for something I'm going to be much more satisfied with. Interactive gaming is sorely underrated in my opinion. I can't stand the majority of Wii games, but whatever Nintendo spits out, it's going to be revolutionary guaranteed. Online gaming may become a standard soon enough.
        I feel that Nintendo leads innovation and opens many new doors, upon which Sony and Microsoft improves upon later on (see: leeching the benefits) to satisfy the market. And since consumers just want the best, they typically couldn't care less about whether Nintendo led the initial innovation first. That's probably why Nintendo's so undermined these days. They innovate, then Sony and Microsoft finishes the job by applying their findings to games more specifically for hardcore gamers - who are typically the most vocal of the video game audience.

        Nintendo's marketing strategy is brilliant, but they suffer from not catering to the loudest audience (hardcore gamers). Then again, the number of hardcore gamers to casual gamers may be overstated because you hardly hear casual gamers share their input.
        Last edited by bmah; 04-26-2011, 12:45 AM.

        Comment

        • MrGiggles
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2005
          • 2846

          #34
          Re: Nintendo Confirms New Console for 2012, Details at E3 2011

          Originally posted by phe0nixblade
          @Rubix How did you not like the gamecube? It was the best console ever released in my eyes. D:
          GameCube had some really dumb shit involved that hurt sales. The obvious one is the lack of third party support, but memory cards and proprietary media sucked too.

          That said, GC was a pretty good console. Its controllers are still my favorite, I think. The few titles it had worth owning were REALLY worth owning.

          On the subject of the new Nintendo console, recent history (xbox) has shown that if you can drop your next console before everyone else, you probably should. I hope they stick with a Wii-ish price point though. I don't really need HD graphics on my console, that's what my PC is for. I'd much rather see more 'Lost Wind' titles than, say, CoD 5.

          Comment

          • DotKritic
            Forum User
            • Jun 2009
            • 2974

            #35
            Re: Nintendo Confirms New Console for 2012, Details at E3 2011

            I still have the N64. I just didn't get real interested in the GC. Just went with Playstation (1,2,3) and Xbox (360).

            FFR Member Since December 17th, 2004
            Save 50% on Codecademy Plus, Pro, or Pro Student

            Comment

            • Reincarnate
              x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
              • Nov 2010
              • 6332

              #36
              Re: Nintendo Confirms New Console for 2012, Details at E3 2011

              Originally posted by phe0nixblade
              @Rubix How did you not like the gamecube? It was the best console ever released in my eyes. D:
              I felt like the only games I ever enjoyed on the GC were SSBM and maybe Metroid Prime. The game selection was just not that large, which was inevitably part of its demise in terms of sales volumes, as most of the third-party devs/vendors had already taken on other projects for the PS2 at the time (not to mention the fact that the PS2 had bells and whistles like DVD support, whereas the GC did not). Basically, the GC was released late and it didn't offer anything worth waiting for over the PS2. It's why Nintendo made such a drastic shift when the Wii -- they needed to expand to a greater audience to try to reap the opportunity lost with the GC.

              But I feel like it shows -- the GC just felt like an incomplete system to me. Only a small bundle of games were worth playing, and everything was was ultimately forgettable. I can't say the same about the SNES or N64, where the game selections were a bit more fully-fleshed and fun to sink into.

              Originally posted by dAnceguy117
              the interactive stuff doesn't HAVE to take away from plot and gameplay. it just hasn't progressed far enough to produce a real AAA title using all this neat stuff. I'm still kinda with you though. if physical controllers were ever to be phased out, I'd probably barely play any new games.

              the first-party titles were cool, but multi-platform games were a little broken due to ludicrous memory card requirements and slightly wonky controller setups. kinda like the wii, but not nearly as lop-sided. anyway, opinion is opinion, but you're not gonna have a lot of takers with that one.
              It doesn't HAVE to, but it usually does due to resource diversion. I wrote a lengthy post a while back explaining why this was so. In terms of return on investment, a good story has a pretty low significance weight. "Gameplay" usually gets stuffed into the "gimmicks," where the "gimmicks" have mass-audience appeal -- and that's what drives sales when the target audience is so wide. It's also why the hardcore Nintendo fans feel a bit alienated and, hopefully, why Nintendo may be trying to shift focus back to that audience a bit more.
              Last edited by Reincarnate; 04-26-2011, 07:20 AM.

              Comment

              • supermousie
                FFR Player
                • Feb 2006
                • 1074

                #37
                Re: Nintendo Confirms New Console for 2012, Details at E3 2011

                Actually, I've re-thought this. Nintendo is always, always leading the way in next-gen gaming.
                First was the incredible GameBoy hand-held. 8-bit in the palm of your hand was pretty cool at the time. Then, the 64. Arguably the very first serious home arcade. This then got Sony thinking "Hey, the market for console gaming is jolly good, so I'll join in as well" and so the PlayStation was born. And so, with almost everything made, the rest of the competition scrambled to milk the market Nintendo had created.
                The DS featured a touch-screen. The PSP2 has a touchscreen sort of thing.
                The Wii has motion sensing stuff. The 360 and PS3 now have Kinect and Move! etc, etc, ad infinitum.
                So, yeah. My view of Nintendo- revised.
                Originally posted by aperson
                yolo

                Comment

                • Reincarnate
                  x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
                  • Nov 2010
                  • 6332

                  #38
                  Re: Nintendo Confirms New Console for 2012, Details at E3 2011

                  I am about to make a new thread

                  Comment

                  • dAnceguy117
                    new hand moves = dab
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    • Dec 2002
                    • 10103

                    #39
                    Re: Nintendo Confirms New Console for 2012, Details at E3 2011

                    Originally posted by Reincarnate
                    It doesn't HAVE to, but it usually does due to resource diversion. I wrote a lengthy post a while back explaining why this was so. In terms of return on investment, a good story has a pretty low significance weight. "Gameplay" usually gets stuffed into the "gimmicks," where the "gimmicks" have mass-audience appeal -- and that's what drives sales when the target audience is so wide. It's also why the hardcore Nintendo fans feel a bit alienated and, hopefully, why Nintendo may be trying to shift focus back to that audience a bit more.
                    I stand corrected. good point. still, I really have to believe that somewhere along the line, someone will try to make a core title that fully incorporates motion controls or something of the like. I'm excited to see it.

                    Comment

                    • xferrarix
                      FFR Player
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 1091

                      #40
                      Re: Nintendo Confirms New Console for 2012, Details at E3 2011

                      @majority of the thread: Please remember that the PS1 came out around the time SNES was finally dying out. Nintendo HAD to make a new console because Sega and Sony (main competitors at the time) were on their way to the next generation of consoles. SNES held out well until late-1995, when the market was getting dominated with people leaning towards the PS1 in terms of it's coming game library and graphics. Nintendo's console, in terms of sales, did not hold up as well to Sony. For the most part it had great games only coming from arcade ports (the N64 hardware was somewhat similar to arcade boards at the time) and 1st party support. And it was Nintendo's flukes that let it get to that demise. Which is why gaming is put into a different perspective of graphics over gameplay nowadays for the most part. Nintendo is only trying to "migrate" into that territory so it can be more of a "family" (meaning it can be for everyone) console again but keep it's old library and sense of games intact.

                      But my opinion on this console is it may or may not do well. It all depends on what it's competitors throw out at it. Sony and Microsoft, I'm sure, will throw out consoles both with motion capabilities because of the Wii's success.

                      The only thing I'm afraid of is what kind of games will Nintendo make. And how comfortable the new controllers will be because I found the Wii controllers to be very awkward. Touchscreen doesn't sound too pleasing to me because most touchscreen things today don't really play great with games. I know the ITouch can play games well, but how well could that unit play with console-like games (for example Call of Duty: Black Ops or Super Mario Galaxy).
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • Reincarnate
                        x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
                        • Nov 2010
                        • 6332

                        #41
                        Re: Nintendo Confirms New Console for 2012, Details at E3 2011

                        I wouldn't say it's necessarily changed from gameplay to graphics. It's just that for certain games, having amazing graphics gets your games sold. But it doesn't mean that the game will be fun enough to be replayable (e.g. Crysis). However, if you are going for the gameplay route, your game needs to be fun enough to play again and again, but you need to reap profit from this. This is why multiplayer has made such a huge advent over the recent years and why single-player modes have become easier (less ROI when your game is harder, as you want people to start playing online ASAP). Furthermore, having beastly graphics requirements makes it harder to engage in online play if hardware isn't adequate.

                        Comment

                        • ddrxero64
                          FFR Player
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 790

                          #42
                          Re: Nintendo Confirms New Console for 2012, Details at E3 2011

                          I imagine what would happen to the video gaming industry if Nintendo just stopped making consoles and games.

                          One one hand, Microsoft and Sony would get really cocky and just dominate the video gaming industry. But their idea of innovation would be enhancing graphics until we're playing CoD in real life. Any idea of pushing technology in a creative direction would be very slow.

                          On the other hand, this doesn't seem bad. If Nintendo wasn't pushing all this innovation, you wouldn't see all these crappy PS3 Move and Kinect games. I do admit some Kinect games are a bit fun, but they don't size up compared to hardcore gaming. How fast could you really move in CoD compared to using a standard controller? You can only become so superhuman using a Kinect Sensor. No innovation would mean these crappy games wouldn't be made, and Sony and Microsoft would stick to what they're actually good at.

                          But then the family/casual gaming industry would die for the most part. In the end, I think it's nice to have family oriented games sometimes. Taking a break from shooters and competitive fighting and playing things like RPG's and Mario games is enjoyable. If gaming was always taken so seriously I probably wouldn't play it. But I wouldn't consider these casual games something to dominate the industry, but they should still be around. Not everyone wants to face you in CoD just because you're known as the best player (AKA you have no life and whore the game 24/7).

                          I dunno, just some thoughts.

                          Comment

                          • MrGiggles
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 2846

                            #43
                            Re: Nintendo Confirms New Console for 2012, Details at E3 2011

                            I'd like to add at this point that if Nintendo doesn't nail online play this time around I'm going to start shaking babies. No more friend codes, no more lag, get some voice chat, etc etc. Just copy Microsoft, seriously. No one will get mad at you or yell "STOPS COPIES MS". Every last one of your customers will thank you.

                            Comment

                            • Crashfan3
                              FFR Player
                              • Nov 2006
                              • 2937

                              #44
                              Re: Nintendo Confirms New Console for 2012, Details at E3 2011

                              Maybe I'm misinformed but this looks as though it's Nintendo's only hope seeing as nobody's given a shit about the Wii since around 2009.

                              I love Nintendo and all but for goodness' sake if they can't get some decent games on their consoles, is it even worth it? It's the whole "PS3 has no games" argument all over again. I mean, come on, Nintendo dominated both the 80s and 90s. I hope they can make a comeback with this new console because I'm sick of the only good games for their hardware being part of the Mario/Zelda/Pokemon etc etc franchises.

                              Comment

                              • phe0nixblade
                                Praise the sun mofo
                                • Sep 2005
                                • 4281

                                #45
                                Re: Nintendo Confirms New Console for 2012, Details at E3 2011

                                I dunno maybe the reason I liked the gamecube so god damn much was because I played Tales of Symphonia near a hundred times.. There was also Metroid Prime and SSBM and all the Mario Party games that I enjoyed so much. Baten Kaitos was a good game for me Yugion the Falsebound Kingdom I think it was called was fun....
                                Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD Gales of Darkness..

                                ****, hooking up my gamecube now.

                                Comment

                                Working...