GameFAQs Top 100 Games of all time.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MalReynolds
    CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
    • Sep 2003
    • 6571

    #31
    RE: Re: RE: GameFAQs Top 100 Games of all time.

    I'm glad Chrono Cross made the list; it's probably my favorite game of all time. It's also got the most impressive and emotional musical score. I just ordered the 3 CD package, and I haven't been disappointed.

    As for FFVII, I had never played it before until a few nights ago. My roommate has a copy of it, and considering it was #1, I decided to give it a play.

    So far, it's alright. I'm part way through the first disk, working my way around the Shinra building. I like how it keeps a sense of humor and has some relatable characters. Fairly repetitive, but the storyline thusfar is very impressive. All in all, maybe not #1 game of all time but it's very good thus far.

    I checked out the message board for it on GameFaqs, and man... Rabid fanbase.

    Mal
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor


    My new novel:

    Maledictions: The Offering.

    Now in Paperback!

    Comment

    • Zarbon
      FFR Player
      • Aug 2005
      • 168

      #32
      RE: Re: RE: GameFAQs Top 100 Games of all time.

      ya chrono cross rocks but i have beaten every Final fantasy but never played FFVII, XI, and the soon to come XII. I like most of the FF series (crystal chronicles was wierd)

      Comment

      • Chromer
        Hookers and Blow
        • Jul 2003
        • 4981

        #33
        RE: Re: RE: GameFAQs Top 100 Games of all time.

        I was suprised to see that Power Stone didn't make the list. And FFVII grabbing the top spot? IMO No. It should have probably went to Tales of Destiny 2 or at least Vagrant Story.

        Comment

        • MalReynolds
          CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
          • Sep 2003
          • 6571

          #34
          RE: Re: RE: GameFAQs Top 100 Games of all time.

          Vagrant Story just isn't as accessible. I rented it, and had no idea why I was doing so much damage to some enemies and so little to others. It just confused me. So did the combat system; it works for a game like Parasite Eve when you're using projectile weapons, but having to get so close to the enemies just seemed a little off. Overall, I didn't really enjoy the game because I didn't really get the whole having the change weapons every other battle thing until I read an FAQ... The day after I returned the game.

          Mal
          "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

          "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor


          My new novel:

          Maledictions: The Offering.

          Now in Paperback!

          Comment

          • Moogy
            嗚呼
            FFR Simfile Author
            • Aug 2003
            • 10303

            #35
            RE: Re: RE: GameFAQs Top 100 Games of all time.

            Vagrant Story's gameplay is really offputting for a lot of people. I like it, however, for the sheer amount of customization available to you.

            However, the real strengths of Vagrant Story lie in its graphics, story, and atmosphere. The graphics are pretty much the best the PS1 is capable of, and it really shows. The story is fantastic and keeps you guessing until the end - even after the end, it's still a bit ambiguous. I like that.

            But, by far, the most amazing accomplishment of Vagrant Story is the atmosphere. Never before or since has a game managed to so perfectly capture the feeling of exploring places. Part of this is the awesome, underrated, score by Hitoshi Sakimoto. His music really captures the emotion of each place. The graphics play a large part in this, too - the areas are meticulously detailed and really show a humanity about them.

            Vagrant Story is a fantastic game that all game developers should look to for inspiration. It's one of Square's greatest triumphs.
            Plz visit my blog

            ^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved

            Comment

            • MalReynolds
              CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
              • Sep 2003
              • 6571

              #36
              RE: Re: RE: GameFAQs Top 100 Games of all time.

              I'll agree with the atmosphere. That was what kept me playing during the rental period. I never entirely set it aside. Always came back to it.

              I can definitley forsee me renting/buying it. I was fairly immature when the game came out as well, so... That's always a possibility. But I'm also not a huge fan of massive required customization.

              Mal
              "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

              "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor


              My new novel:

              Maledictions: The Offering.

              Now in Paperback!

              Comment

              • Omegix
                free tsutter
                FFR Simfile Author
                • Sep 2004
                • 883

                #37
                RE: Re: RE: GameFAQs Top 100 Games of all time.

                Windwaker, more like HIT THE A BUTTON TO WIN!

                Comment

                • suicidalmuskrat
                  FFR Player
                  • Oct 2003
                  • 739

                  #38
                  RE: Re: RE: GameFAQs Top 100 Games of all time.

                  I sure hope they do another cel-shaded zelda. I absolutely loved the look of that game. Of course who knows what's happening to zelda after Twilight Princess--Check out this quote:
                  "This will be, without a doubt, the last Zelda game as you know it in its present form," Miyamoto is quoted as saying.
                  This whole interview can be found here: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60754

                  Oh well, I'm sure they've got something interesting planned
                  I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for your crummy old danish.
                  Done, and done.

                  Comment

                  • Squeek
                    let it snow~
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 14444

                    #39
                    RE: Re: RE: GameFAQs Top 100 Games of all time.

                    Musky, from what we've seen in the teasers for Revo, it might go 1st-person.

                    Who knows.

                    ~Squeek

                    Comment

                    • qwerave
                      FFR Player
                      • Feb 2005
                      • 4

                      #40
                      RE: Re: RE: GameFAQs Top 100 Games of all time.

                      "No, it's just because people on GameFAQs are retarded and vote for bad games." too true

                      Comment

                      • suicidalmuskrat
                        FFR Player
                        • Oct 2003
                        • 739

                        #41
                        Yeah, I've thought that as well. But I just can't imagine them completely abandoning 3rd person. Well, it's Nintendo, I'm sure they'll make it fun.
                        I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for your crummy old danish.
                        Done, and done.

                        Comment

                        • -Fallen-
                          xqsite OG
                          • May 2005
                          • 2836

                          #42
                          I would of gave first place to either Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Evermore and Mario RPG

                          I know I left out a couple of awesome games like Lufia, maybe some of the FF's and Gaia and stuff but meh..


                          Mario RPG, so fun and awesome. It's repetitive and short as hell but it's that type a game where you beat it and then a month later you feel a tiny craving to beat it again.

                          Secret of Mana, with it's awesome story and shitty ass graphics :P Has awesome magic, characters, storyline etc etc. Just overall an amazing game.

                          Chrono Trigger, Numerous characters to choose from, limits to develop, tons of items and hidden quests and such, love the magic and combo attacks which most recent games don't even have. Replay value is awesome.

                          Secret of Evermore, AWESOME game. Boy and his dog go on adventure through time and evolving throughout the time periods. Magic/Spells are crazy. Graphics are more developed. The story is funny (they use references from old movies and books that most people dont understand). Lots of comedy and what not, and replay value is cool because it's actually hard to get everything done in the game and find everything and purchase all the special goods and make certain decisions.
                          One of the original members of the xqsite + FFR community.
                          BlankZero - 15 year vet + RobbyZero - 15 year vet

                          Comment

                          • shevic9000
                            FFR Player
                            • Sep 2004
                            • 114

                            #43
                            BS....Halo 2 should be like 8th or 9th......not 85th!!

                            ...Cuz I would SO pwn you in some Halo 2!

                            Comment

                            • Desert_Eagle
                              FFR Player
                              • Dec 2003
                              • 98

                              #44
                              I didn't think Xenogears should've made top list. I think Xenosaga should've replaced the list. Not necessarily for the impressive graphics, but the sheer amount of thought put in the storyline was, well, looking better than Xenogears. (My brother has the game; I'm trying to play it fully.)
                              Final Fantasy is great for plot, also, and sometimes gameplay. It's only good if you don't get bored easily, though.
                              Contra is quite classic, but it's too short and one-way to keep all the time. It's a helluva fun game, but it doesn't seem significant in the gaming world.
                              Pac-Man definitely needs some more recognition than a cruddy #66. That is completely absurd! Bull....! GAHHH!!! Give some thought, Gamefaqs, before calling your list the top 100 of all-time.
                              ICO is quite gorgeous to look listen to. One of the most underrated (sometimes overrated, depending on point of view) games of this console generation, it needs to be well over its current place in ranking.
                              I guess the rankings are okay for now. I don't play everything on the list.

                              ---Desert_Eagle

                              -------
                              http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=36515
                              -MOST AWESOME SITE EVAR-
                              -video game and anime soundtracks-
                              *********help me by going here!*********

                              Comment

                              • MalReynolds
                                CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
                                • Sep 2003
                                • 6571

                                #45
                                Well, it was user voted... So the contest was really "Top 100 Games Of All Time As Voted By GameFAQ Users."

                                I wasn't bumming around GameFAQS at the time of the voting, so I didn't get to periccipate.



                                Mal
                                "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

                                "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor


                                My new novel:

                                Maledictions: The Offering.

                                Now in Paperback!

                                Comment

                                Working...