SMHOF - Stepmania Hall of Fame

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Wineandbread
    Custom User Title
    • Oct 2007
    • 2105

    #16
    Re: SMHOF - Stepmania Hall of Fame

    Nice idea, SM leaderboards finally.
    Author browsing is probably a better idea, since there are a few songs out there that are in multiple backs.

    As for validation, vid is about the best thing we can do. I think that vidding (lol vidding) every single score might be a bit redundant, so make it necessary only for the top3/5 scores or something.

    You might want a panel for judging scores/admitting new songs. I agree that there are way too many singles to be accounted for, but only a small fraction of them are actually good.

    P.S. implement solo leaderboards too
    Originally posted by Gundam-Dude
    my semen is flying through the air as we speak
    We climb up a lot of ladders, and fall down a lot of chutes.

    Taking "all" oddjobs! PM me requests. Requests filled: 2 last active Mar. 6th, 2017


    Keep it real pls. Will deny requests I cannot manage.


    Comment

    • jak5255
      FFR Player
      • Oct 2005
      • 15

      #17
      Re: SMHOF - Stepmania Hall of Fame

      Originally posted by Wineandbread
      Nice idea, SM leaderboards finally.
      Author browsing is probably a better idea, since there are a few songs out there that are in multiple backs.

      As for validation, vid is about the best thing we can do. I think that vidding (lol vidding) every single score might be a bit redundant, so make it necessary only for the top3/5 scores or something.

      You might want a panel for judging scores/admitting new songs. I agree that there are way too many singles to be accounted for, but only a small fraction of them are actually good.

      P.S. implement solo leaderboards too
      Yeah, you will be able to browse by author.

      Vids for every song would be kind of redundant, so we'll probably go for smac. (I'll speak with Andeplane one of our other admins which also is the guy who made smac, and we'll try to patch up everything about it.)

      That's what we need more mods for

      Hmm, solo leaderboards, didn't think about that.
      I think we'll have to come back to that later, our focus is on the standard 4-arrows part of SM for now.
      But I'll write it down.
      I am Emphy

      Comment

      • Katt^
        FFR Player
        • Sep 2009
        • 6

        #18
        Re: SMHOF - Stepmania Hall of Fame

        Hi everyone. Katt, the programmer (and lousy designer) here to answer some questions.

        You can sort by packs, author and artist. Right now the system only supports pack-sorting, but I'm implementing author-sorting and artist-sorting.

        And YES singles can be/will be added. If it ever is bundled into a pack later, it's just a simple edit and it's in the pack. These singles will be selectable in pack-selection with the name "Singles" or "Randoms" or whatever feels best.

        Support for solo-scores? I'll see about that later when the 4-arrowed part is done... I doubt it though, I'll see how big the interrest for solo-playing is.

        And for the record, SMO is NOT a good way to see if a score is valid or not because of the TIMING-bug. Imagine playing SMO with JD1 and achieving a nice quad on a song. People would point out the fact that it says TIMING but you could blame the bug. At the same time, imagine playing SMO with JD4 and getting a sweet quad, but it says TIMING because of the bug. You say it's because of the bug but people wouldn't believe you.

        And hey, even vid can be faked without too much problems. Imagine you play with JD1, get a nice score, then show a ini-file from another sm-folder. People will believe you even though you just cheated.

        So there is no perfect way of telling if a score is 100% legit.

        Comment

        • Staiain
          Can't handle my ÆØÅ
          • Aug 2009
          • 4545

          #19
          Re: SMHOF - Stepmania Hall of Fame

          Originally posted by Katt^

          And hey, even vid can be faked without too much problems. Imagine you play with JD1, get a nice score, then show a ini-file from another sm-folder. People will believe you even though you just cheated.

          So there is no perfect way of telling if a score is 100% legit.
          100% will never happen.


          Well, not sure if Windows XP support it, (Vista and W7 does) but by opening task manager, then find the running StepMania.exe and then click "Open containing folder, and the click "up" in the folder, open Data, and the StepMania.ini, and show that AdditionalFolders= is empty, then there is no way the SM can use files from outside the install folder.






          irc.rizon.net | #kbo - Come chat!BlueXoon is back
          SM Wiki My

          Comment

          • Master Chief 1594
            FFR Veteran
            • Sep 2009
            • 178

            #20
            Re: SMHOF - Stepmania Hall of Fame

            dayummmm, staian with the stepmania knowledge
            Originally posted by rqm
            i like my women like i like my scotch, 12 yrs old and mixed up in coke
            Originally posted by Quigly
            yaboy is an STD, killed my aunt back in 04. She was a drunk whore though so no one really cared.
            Originally posted by albaneenesk8r
            you need to give your minge a good rub everynow and then

            Comment

            • MinaciousGrace
              FFR Player
              • Dec 2007
              • 4278

              #21
              Re: SMHOF - Stepmania Hall of Fame

              why are you guys focusing on number of quads anyway that's like the worst way to rank players ever

              Comment

              • jak5255
                FFR Player
                • Oct 2005
                • 15

                #22
                Re: SMHOF - Stepmania Hall of Fame

                Originally posted by MinaciousGrace
                why are you guys focusing on number of quads anyway that's like the worst way to rank players ever
                We aren't ranking players by quads.
                We just thought we could put up a separate "ranking" (using the term losely) which shows how many quads people have, from most to least.
                I admit that I probably could've worded it better to avoid misunderstandings.
                I am Emphy

                Comment

                • macgravel
                  Resident Poopbutt
                  FFR Simfile Author
                  • May 2004
                  • 2405

                  #23
                  Re: SMHOF - Stepmania Hall of Fame

                  Originally posted by Staiain
                  Well, not sure if Windows XP support it, (Vista and W7 does) but by opening task manager, then find the running StepMania.exe and then click "Open containing folder, and the click "up" in the folder, open Data, and the StepMania.ini, and show that AdditionalFolders= is empty, then there is no way the SM can use files from outside the install folder.
                  Yeah, but even so.

                  Originally posted by dudeman
                  I made a video about timing window verification a while back.
                  Basically, I showed how you could show the Stepmania.ini, with the judge level and the window sizes, show running/playing, and get a fake quad. It all looks legit, up until I show how the "executable" is actually a shell script that swaps in a different Stepmania.ini before running stepmania, then swaps it back out when stepmania exits.
                  It's impossible to stop people from cheating.

                  Comment

                  • Oni-Paranoia
                    No fucks
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 2440

                    #24
                    Re: SMHOF - Stepmania Hall of Fame

                    Originally posted by dudeman
                    I made a video about timing window verification a while back.Basically, I showed how you could show the Stepmania.ini, with the judge level and the window sizes, show running/playing, and get a fake quad. It all looks legit, up until I show how the "executable" is actually a shell script that swaps in a different Stepmania.ini before running stepmania, then swaps it back out when stepmania exits.
                    Because it's hard to have a Stepmania shortcut that leads to an SM that has it's .ini changed and then you open up a SM folder that has the right .ini for vid shot. Multiple ways, exist (even with vid).

                    P.s. Made a vid of Jai, reason why I open SM from close is to show which folder I opened with no shortcut to SM..

                    Originally posted by macgravel
                    It's impossible to stop people from cheating.
                    Second this.

                    Comment

                    • DossarLX ODI
                      Batch Manager
                      Game Manager
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      • Mar 2008
                      • 15013

                      #25
                      Re: SMHOF - Stepmania Hall of Fame

                      Haha apparently when the site was in it's white display I submitted my scores on "Dossar" and that username is already taken. I did DossarLX though.

                      I can't add new packs or look at member profiles. When I try to look at a profile, it says "Not Found"
                      Originally posted by hi19hi19
                      oh boy, it's STIFF, I'll stretch before I sit down at the computer so not I'm not as STIFF next time I step a file

                      Comment

                      • Katt^
                        FFR Player
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 6

                        #26
                        Re: SMHOF - Stepmania Hall of Fame

                        Dossar: BETA BETA BETA. Profiles not yet coded. And yeah, Dossar was taken from way back when users had no passwords. :P

                        Doesn't matter what you post with now since the databases will be reset before launch anyway.

                        And I agree with macgravel and Oni-Paranoia. There's always a way to cheat. You can switch the names of a noteskin and no-mines and play a mine-heavy song with no-mines without anyone noticing on the screenshot.

                        Only drawback is, you can't play with a noteskin. Not a big deal though. (Unless you're like me and simply CAN'T read other notes than flat.)

                        So mainly, gut-feeling will be our anti-cheat. This is why I need people from different communities to validate scores for people. I've got no idea how good macgravel is, but others probably do.

                        Comment

                        • Snapps
                          NO DOUBT GET LOUD
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          • Sep 2003
                          • 5650

                          #27
                          Re: SMHOF - Stepmania Hall of Fame

                          how will you take into account of multiple versions of songs by the same step artist

                          Comment

                          • Mollocephalus
                            Custom User Title
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 2608

                            #28
                            Re: SMHOF - Stepmania Hall of Fame

                            v1 v2 v3 and so on in chronological order, i presume.

                            Comment

                            • Gilly G
                              FFR Veteran
                              • Mar 2007
                              • 1225

                              #29
                              Re: SMHOF - Stepmania Hall of Fame

                              Originally posted by Katt^
                              Only drawback is, you can't play with a noteskin. Not a big deal though. (Unless you're like me and simply CAN'T read other notes than flat.)
                              I think this is probably the biggest drawback in my opinion. Why would you not be able to play with noteskins?

                              Comment

                              • mnnicol
                                U mirin'?
                                • Jun 2007
                                • 4262

                                #30
                                Re: SMHOF - Stepmania Hall of Fame

                                You can't use noteskins? Fuuuuuuuuuuuck

                                Not sure how many people you're going to get until people can use whatever noteskins they like...
                                - Retired Stepman
                                - I lift things up and put them down

                                Comment

                                Working...