SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ieatyourlvllol
    FFR Player
    • Sep 2006
    • 3221

    #61
    Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

    Imo, there is nothing wrong with 64ths, as long as they're not in a trill or jack at a crazy BPM.

    Comment

    • ZhugeLiang0
      FFR Player
      • Oct 2004
      • 28

      #62
      Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

      I loved this new song. Only part i hate is in the beginning, i haven't been able to get that down yet. Besides that, i should've been able to combo the rest of the song if i didn't slip around the 900th arrow. Oh well, this is the best song that has been uploaded recently in my opinion.

      Comment

      • sertman
        DADALADAH
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Jun 2005
        • 3910

        #63
        Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

        Originally posted by Tasselfoot

        the 64ths as a jump... well... not much we can do about that, as FFR runs at 30 frames per second. at a certain point, 2 notes are sufficiently close together that they are within 1/30th of a second, and are therefore on the same frame. it just happens to be at a pretty high rate to happen:

        30 notes in a second would be 450bpm 16th notes or 112.5bpm 64ths. so anything 113 or over at 64ths has the potential to have 2 notes on the same frame... I could be wrong, but I think it would take all the way up to 225bpm 64ths to guarentee... but that seems too high... Shash can correct me where I'm wrong.

        But, Torinouta, at 180, is clearly over 113 and has a few 64ths, which is why there are a small number of 2 arrows that shouldn't be jumps that actually are.

        Next weeks file has 64ths (i believe... they may be 48ths), but it is under 113bpm, so it won't have any jumps from 64ths.
        EXACTLY what I'm trying to say. That's the difference between a file suitable for FFR and a file suitable for SM. This song is a very good example: it shows that the files being added to FFR lately are overstepping FFR's boundries.

        And shash, I enjoyed it more in FFR too, because it's broken up into 5 parts as opposed to being 1 17 minute long file in SM. Other than that, I enjoyed it way more in SM, because I don't have to worry about getting dicked over on minijacks and some of the faster bursts, which happens in FFR.

        Comment

        • Shashakiro
          TWO THOUZAND COMBO
          FFR Simfile Author
          • Aug 2005
          • 9082

          #64
          Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

          Originally posted by sertman
          EXACTLY what I'm trying to say. That's the difference between a file suitable for FFR and a file suitable for SM. This song is a very good example: it shows that the files being added to FFR lately are overstepping FFR's boundries.
          The 64ths to jump thing is damn hard to even notice unless you're looking for it, and doens't significantly affect how you'd play the file. We won't add files with omgfastjacks because they screw up the gameplay, but nothing in Torinouta really screws with the gameplay...so yeah.

          And shash, I enjoyed it more in FFR too, because it's broken up into 5 parts as opposed to being 1 17 minute long file in SM. Other than that, I enjoyed it way more in SM, because I don't have to worry about getting dicked over on minijacks and some of the faster bursts, which happens in FFR.
          Guess we're different then. I had it in parts in SM myself, and vastly preferred it on FFR.
          4th Official FFR Tournament - Master division champion!

          Originally posted by Boogiebear
          use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.

          Comment

          • dore
            caveman pornstar
            FFR Simfile Author
            FFR Music Producer
            • Feb 2006
            • 6317

            #65
            Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

            I made this file long before this paranoia about FFR becoming SM, before even Tetris was added (which was omgwtf hard amirite[/sarcasm]). It just so happened that the advent of a better noteskin and the release of a colorful song with 1000s of BPM changes came right as this was going to be released.

            This is not how I would have stepped it for SM, in fact, it was not released until I watered down some parts. I wanted to add a few jacks, plus there are 64th runs that are longer than 4 notes that I had to water down for FFR because it would create unAAAable runs. My version for SM would be a lot harder.

            So this is not in any way a SM file IMO as I did not intend it that way and I don't think it goes beyond FFR's boundaries. My Panic Attack! went beyond FFR, and it wasn't accepted (240bpm jumpstream ). Shash and Tass only put on content tht they feel is doable in FFR while still being a high-quality file, and I commend them for their work.

            BTW, I got this song from some random Tournamix or something, I've actually never played the pfx file (or heard of it for that matter).

            Thanks for all the positive feedback.

            Tangent over ;p
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IREnpHco9mw

            Comment

            • dAnceguy117
              new hand moves = dab
              FFR Simfile Author
              • Dec 2002
              • 10103

              #66
              Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

              We have how many non-technical files on FFR now? If you want major instances, think Get Down, Tribal Transcendency, Nova Pulser, Lovely Lovely Lovely, Wish, and Dot Death (Stealth Remix). Those are probably some of my favorite files on FFR. I just don't think files getting more technical is a step in the right or the wrong direction. It's nice to have some variety. If you don't like the style of the new SotW, go play an older file that better suits your affinities.

              Insulting technicality in simfiles is in no way a constructive criticism. While I appreciate the FFR "feel" to files such as the ones mentioned above, you have to take into consideration the amount of evolution that simfile making for SM has undergone. I think that instead of shunning new ideas of simfile styles here on FFR, they should be utilized. This way, there can be lots of files on FFR with different styles. Believe it or not, it's even possible to mix technicality and precision with the fun, bouncy style FFR is known for in one file. Evil Approaches is a pretty good example, as it has a few quick bursts to accompany some important parts of the music, but it mostly strays from the line of true precision. I, too, hope that an extremely technical style of simfiles doesn't become the standard for FFR, but I think instead of falling off the other side of the boat, there should be a good medium.

              Comment

              • Shashakiro
                TWO THOUZAND COMBO
                FFR Simfile Author
                • Aug 2005
                • 9082

                #67
                Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

                Also, Klung Kung is fairly recent and totally not technical-based...I specifically made it that way.

                Honestly, we aren't going in one particular "direction" or another...we might get some stuff with BPM changes now that we couldn't handle before, but besides that nothing's really going to change.
                4th Official FFR Tournament - Master division champion!

                Originally posted by Boogiebear
                use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.

                Comment

                • Tasselfoot
                  Retired BOSS
                  FFR Simfile Author
                  • Jul 2003
                  • 25185

                  #68
                  Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

                  well put dance... I wholeheartedly agree... and ever since I started doing the SotW work, look at what has been added...

                  3 classical files (0 in about 2 years prior)
                  2 (6) arcade files (0 in about 18 months prior)
                  a misc file, a hip hop file, 2 rock files...

                  VARIETY!!!!! That is EXACTLY what I've been trying to do. I've been trying to get us a funk song too, but it isn't going very well.

                  So, yea... it was like GGC... I wanted a noteskin'd file that was hard for the sake of being hard. So I got the file and got Shash to step it. I also want a marathon song.... hopefully we'll get one into the game sometime in the near future.

                  And all that while still trying to keep up our high standards of good music and good steps. Yes, those things are relative... and we know we won't please every person with every song and every stepfile... but if we can please the majority every time, and each person 75% or so, then we're doing our job.



                  Lastly... the more people that send us files... the more we have to pick from, and hopefully, the more quality we'll have to pick from.
                  RIP

                  Comment

                  • dAnceguy117
                    new hand moves = dab
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    • Dec 2002
                    • 10103

                    #69
                    Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

                    KlungKung 2004 is a prime example. It's really fun, too.

                    Now I've actually played and can comment on the file. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The cut is perfect. It is, of course, missing some parts I loved from the full song, but there's no way around that. It's also really nice not to have to play through what is basically the same thing twice, like you do with pfx's file. (It's trash, by the way, but it's not really fair to judge because it's old, and it was pretty good for its time.)

                    There's a gallop at about 537 combo that I think should be a 16th earlier. Given the precision of the 32nds/64ths and such, I think some more technicality could've been preserved in certain areas, especially involving jumps. I can explain further later exactly what I'm talking about if you want me to. Overall, though, it was just really fun and good. It had a level of technicality to it, but I thought it well preserved the fun factor looked for in FFR files. Very, very nicely done. Easily the best Sharpnel file on FFR.

                    Comment

                    • sebra
                      FFR Player
                      • Aug 2003
                      • 238

                      #70
                      Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

                      Gay
                      Originally posted by spaceballs
                      talk about roller coatser tycoon,2 and 3 and other games like thrillville this is the thread for the thrill seekers

                      Comment

                      • Loyal2Death
                        FFR Veteran
                        • Jun 2004
                        • 1032

                        #71
                        Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

                        Thats what I'm talking about.

                        Fun doesn't necessarily mean Huge proficiency and crazy notes. Klung Klung was an awesome file. It's because it goes with what my head likes to m ake up for it, not for what the song tells me it should be.

                        Lawn Wake, in my opinion, its one of the worst files, because there is so much worry put into being able to hit the notes right, that you don't even enjoy the file. I've missed the easiest notes on so many occasion because I focus so hard on hitting parts I struggle with. That isn't the reason I hate the song however, but it does play a part in how much I enjoy it.

                        Moral of the story, Leave crazy profciency for SM, and FFR will keep the fun stuff, because what makes FFR so appetizing to come back to.

                        ~-[L2D]-~


                        Are you Loyal?
                        Nows the time to choose
                        Die and be free of pain.
                        Or live and fight your sorrow.

                        Comment

                        • Hachi86
                          FFR Player
                          • Apr 2006
                          • 194

                          #72
                          Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

                          What is so not work safe in this song? Is it what the girl is saying at the beginning?

                          People need to stop talking down on Sharpnel...if you dont like his music, dont play the songs.
                          **Proud Member of the Breaking AUP Club**

                          250 in the Un-Catfish Pact of 2007

                          Class: Spread (Sub class - ASKL)
                          HP: 225 (16th stream combo speed)
                          Strength: 190 (max jack speed)
                          Defense: 165 (16th jump stream speed)
                          Speed: 280 (pass stream speed)
                          Accuracy: 89 (average percent of marvs)
                          Stamina: 250 (consistent 16th stream survival)
                          Evasion: 679 (comfort scroll rate)

                          Comment

                          • Tasselfoot
                            Retired BOSS
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            • Jul 2003
                            • 25185

                            #73
                            Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

                            Hachi: re-read the main page story... his WEBSITE is NSFW. has some anime titties on the front page.
                            RIP

                            Comment

                            • Shimazu
                              FFR Player
                              • Oct 2006
                              • 42

                              #74
                              Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

                              Stupid 32nd 1-2-jump patterns get me everytime.
                              What's up.

                              Comment

                              • stlunatic0124
                                FFR Player
                                • Feb 2005
                                • 3228

                                #75
                                Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

                                Originally posted by Afrobean
                                Not what I meant at all. It just seems that people are stepping files as though this is SM. I just feel that FFR should have a different feel, and stepping files like that makes me hate them because they're at C300, even though I'd thoroughly enjoy them in SM (ie speed mods would make it enjoyable).
                                word

                                didn't bother to read the rest of the comments

                                Comment

                                Working...