SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Afrobean
    Admiral in the Red Army
    • Dec 2003
    • 13262

    #46
    Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

    Originally posted by iPatcH
    Because that's a weaboo suggestion.

    Also, not everyone will know how to pronounce asian characters.
    Yeah, because the Japanese kana/kanji is definitely not used in the popular SM version's graphics.


    EDIT: @ Shash:

    About the difference between FFR and SM: It's definitely not concrete. It is 100% abstract.

    About the Japanese language thing: I understand, but I think you should avoid using Japanese tracks if you're going to be so afraid of using the proper characters to represent it.

    Comment

    • jimerax
      ★★★★★
      FFR Simfile Author
      FFR Music Producer
      • Nov 2003
      • 8185

      #47
      Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

      Originally posted by Afrobean
      Not what I meant at all. It just seems that people are stepping files as though this is SM. I just feel that FFR should have a different feel, and stepping files like that makes me hate them because they're at C300, even though I'd thoroughly enjoy them in SM (ie speed mods would make it enjoyable).
      saying any hard songs shouldn't exist for FFR because you can't read it?

      Comment

      • Afrobean
        Admiral in the Red Army
        • Dec 2003
        • 13262

        #48
        Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

        Originally posted by jimerax
        saying any hard songs shouldn't exist for FFR because you can't read it?
        It can be hard without feeling like an SM file.

        Comment

        • Shashakiro
          TWO THOUZAND COMBO
          FFR Simfile Author
          • Aug 2005
          • 9082

          #49
          Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

          Originally posted by Afrobean
          Yeah, because the Japanese kana/kanji is definitely not used in the popular SM version's graphics.
          SM is as Japanese as DDR. Just look at the groove meter, difficulty boxes, etc, etc. Find me a Japanese character in FFR R1 (unless I'm mistaken, there are none)...thus the English romanization.

          About the difference between FFR and SM: It's definitely not concrete. It is 100% abstract.
          Since I have no idea what the difference is, you're effectively asking me to read your mind.
          4th Official FFR Tournament - Master division champion!

          Originally posted by Boogiebear
          use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.

          Comment

          • iPatcH
            Swamp Lemons Rule
            FFR Simfile Author
            FFR Music Producer
            • Dec 2004
            • 3371

            #50
            Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

            Originally posted by Afrobean
            Yeah, because the Japanese kana/kanji is definitely not used in the popular SM version's graphics.
            I thought you wanted FFR to be different from SM?
            put on a donk on it

            Comment

            • jimerax
              ★★★★★
              FFR Simfile Author
              FFR Music Producer
              • Nov 2003
              • 8185

              #51
              Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

              All letters in the FFR R1 screen should be Neuropol, which doesn't support Japanese.

              Comment

              • Tasselfoot
                Retired BOSS
                FFR Simfile Author
                • Jul 2003
                • 25185

                #52
                Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

                We aren't putting non-Romantic characters into FFR...

                1. most people can't read them
                2. most people don't have the language packs installed to even read them... for example, me. you put the words for Torinouta above, and it showed as "???" for me.


                And about "SM sims" in FFR... I seriously do not get what you are talking about, the same as Shash and jx... and I agree with both. The ONLY thing that gets messed up in FFR is when you get any kind of fast jacks (jacks, trills, some 8th jumps). This some is pretty easy to FC... a few spots that are a little tricky, with quick rolls into jumps... but other than that.

                As I said... expect next week's file to be similar with the beginning of this weeks... and there really is no planning for that. Shash and I look at all of the files we have available for uploading, factor out those that:
                a) aren't good
                b) are by artists we recently added from
                c) are by simfile authors we recently added from
                and then look at the files that have gotten through those 3 filters and then pick based on 2 criteria:
                1) oldest in the queue
                2) quality

                weights vary between 1 and 2 depending on all kinds of factors... needless to say, Shash and I put in A LOT of time in picking each week's song.
                RIP

                Comment

                • sertman
                  DADALADAH
                  FFR Simfile Author
                  • Jun 2005
                  • 3910

                  #53
                  Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

                  Originally posted by Shashakiro
                  SM is as Japanese as DDR. Just look at the groove meter, difficulty boxes, etc, etc. Find me a Japanese character in FFR R1 (unless I'm mistaken, there are none)...thus the English romanization.



                  Since I have no idea what the difference is, you're effectively asking me to read your mind.
                  I get what afro is saying... it's kind of hard to explain. He's right too. I'll try to explain it though.

                  SM and FFR are different. Conceptwise, they're the same. However, they differ a lot outside of that. In FFR, there are boos, there are no speed mods, there's easier timing, and the gameplay engine is different. Because of this, files shouldn't be stepped like files in SM.

                  Lately it's felt like FFR's been trying to hard to be like SM, in the way that its files play. The difficulty of the files is beginning to conflict with the boundaries of the game. If I wanted to play an ultra synced file, or a classical one, or something like this file, I'd play SM. I'm not saying that FFR can't be made harder, but stepping files like this isn't the way to go. The concept of being "technically correct" and stepping files that are all over the place shouldn't be an FFR thing, because quite frankly it just doesn't feel right on FFR. However, 3rd style should definitely fix some of R1's current problems, which is why once it comes (or if it comes) these files will be better suited for FFR.

                  Again, this is hard to explain, but I hope i caught the gist of it

                  Comment

                  • Afrobean
                    Admiral in the Red Army
                    • Dec 2003
                    • 13262

                    #54
                    Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

                    Thanks for having my back, sert. You really verbalized what I was trying to get out much better than I would have been able to.

                    Comment

                    • BLAZZE-
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 673

                      #55
                      Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

                      Originally posted by tasselfoot
                      i have more than one iPatch file.
                      Originally posted by Tasselfoot
                      a) i implied for you to NOT state one of iPatch's files.
                      By saying that you have more than one file really implies that I shouldn't name any of his files.

                      Comment

                      • Tasselfoot
                        Retired BOSS
                        FFR Simfile Author
                        • Jul 2003
                        • 25185

                        #56
                        Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

                        so you're saying you want files that don't go to the music and aren't synced properly?

                        cause that is what it seems... if you don't want "ultra synced files"... seems to me that there are either synced files or there aren't. you can't have a TOO synced file. Also, the files are either correct or they aren't.

                        It seems like you're complaining that we're using songs that are overall too difficult for FFR and therefore their stepcharts are too difficult? *shrugs* We'll be adding some cake AAA songs for you in the near future. And by cake, I mean like Platypus cake, not Mario cake.
                        RIP

                        Comment

                        • Shashakiro
                          TWO THOUZAND COMBO
                          FFR Simfile Author
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 9082

                          #57
                          Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

                          I see what you're saying, although I have no idea how this file falls into it at all...just because it has little 64th/32nd rolls in places? Give me a break, they aren't that hard at all >_>

                          Also, besides TGWP, what recent file has been either too techincal or too hard for your liking? Here are a bunch of the most recently added files:

                          KYA - It has nothing past 16ths. Not very "techincal" if you ask me, although this has a LITTLE of it in the staggered 16ths section, I guess. Still, most people seemed to like it, so yeah.
                          Norgers - Besides the minijacks, this is fairly easy and not at all techincal.
                          Sensorium - Again, it's fairly easy and not very techincal.
                          2003 - Not even slightly techincal.
                          Tetris - Easy.

                          That goes back well over a month...I still don't really understand what beef you have with the files that have been going in lately. They don't seem any different from usual to me, or "trying to be like SM files" at all.
                          4th Official FFR Tournament - Master division champion!

                          Originally posted by Boogiebear
                          use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.

                          Comment

                          • sertman
                            DADALADAH
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            • Jun 2005
                            • 3910

                            #58
                            Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

                            Originally posted by Tasselfoot
                            so you're saying you want files that don't go to the music and aren't synced properly?

                            cause that is what it seems... if you don't want "ultra synced files"... seems to me that there are either synced files or there aren't. you can't have a TOO synced file. Also, the files are either correct or they aren't.

                            It seems like you're complaining that we're using songs that are overall too difficult for FFR and therefore their stepcharts are too difficult? *shrugs* We'll be adding some cake AAA songs for you in the near future. And by cake, I mean like Platypus cake, not Mario cake.
                            No, no, no... I mean that because of the limitations of the game, songs like TGWP , where Rebirth uses all the colors of the rainbow to keep it onsync at .3x speed, really feel awkward and out of place in FFR.

                            Originally posted by Shashakiro
                            Also, besides TGWP, what recent file has been either too techincal or too hard for your liking? Here are a bunch of the most recently added files:

                            KYA - It has nothing past 16ths. Not very "techincal" if you ask me, although this has a LITTLE of it in the staggered 16ths section, I guess. Still, most people seemed to like it, so yeah.
                            Norgers - Besides the minijacks, this is fairly easy and not at all techincal.
                            Sensorium - Again, it's fairly easy and not very techincal.
                            2003 - Not even slightly techincal.
                            Tetris - Easy.

                            That goes back well over a month...I still don't really understand what beef you have with the files that have been going in lately. They don't seem any different from usual to me, or "trying to be like SM files" at all.
                            I never said that there were a multitude of previously technical files in the game, but with the addition of this file (regardless of the difficulty, it still doesn't feel right in FFR, especially when you can hit the 64ths as a quad jump and get all perfects) it certainly seems like it's the direction that FFR is taking, especially since the converter can handle BPM changes.

                            Comment

                            • Tasselfoot
                              Retired BOSS
                              FFR Simfile Author
                              • Jul 2003
                              • 25185

                              #59
                              Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

                              this file would have been added... new noteskin or not... bpm change ability or not...

                              it just isn't a good example.


                              the 64ths as a jump... well... not much we can do about that, as FFR runs at 30 frames per second. at a certain point, 2 notes are sufficiently close together that they are within 1/30th of a second, and are therefore on the same frame. it just happens to be at a pretty high rate to happen:

                              30 notes in a second would be 450bpm 16th notes or 112.5bpm 64ths. so anything 113 or over at 64ths has the potential to have 2 notes on the same frame... I could be wrong, but I think it would take all the way up to 225bpm 64ths to guarentee... but that seems too high... Shash can correct me where I'm wrong.

                              But, Torinouta, at 180, is clearly over 113 and has a few 64ths, which is why there are a small number of 2 arrows that shouldn't be jumps that actually are.

                              Next weeks file has 64ths (i believe... they may be 48ths), but it is under 113bpm, so it won't have any jumps from 64ths.
                              RIP

                              Comment

                              • Shashakiro
                                TWO THOUZAND COMBO
                                FFR Simfile Author
                                • Aug 2005
                                • 9082

                                #60
                                Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

                                So now FFR is taking a "bad direction" because of two files? Paranoia much?

                                With the exception of TGWP (which, by the way, I enjoyed vastly more on FFR than in SM), there is no file that we will select simply because it's "techincal". It just so happens that this week's and next week's songs contain 64ths, but that's a pure coincidence.
                                4th Official FFR Tournament - Master division champion!

                                Originally posted by Boogiebear
                                use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.

                                Comment

                                Working...