Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • hi19hi19
    lol happy
    FFR Simfile Author
    • Oct 2005
    • 12194

    #61
    Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

    Originally posted by SKG_Scintill
    *cough* Twister
    Nah there's tons of files in FFR that suffer from this, personally I hate it.
    Schizophrenic files, they are all over the place- like nice easy streams for over half the file then suddenly LOL ROLL WALL or LOL 16TH ANCHOR JACKS

    This is why I hate the changes to my Scarhand file too, it's a perfect example of 90% fun 10% terrible file that just winds up 100% terrible as a result


    Comment

    • TC_Halogen
      Rhythm game specialist.
      FFR Simfile Author
      FFR Music Producer
      • Feb 2008
      • 19376

      #62
      Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

      Originally posted by hi19hi19
      The difference is, this file is absurdly technical the whole way through. The file clearly has one personality. If you don't want it, you can avoid it.
      As opposed to a file that is 90% flowing patterns and 10% bullshit stuff, and you get the worst of both worlds (not fun to play casually or for scoring)
      There are still people that rag on some of bmah's more consistent files too, though. 90%/10% might fit some of bmah's files, but there are others that literally just have one rude pattern and all of a sudden, the file becomes unfun/bad, haha. For a player like myself, I don't find much of Ordeal to be overly technical aside from the occasional polyrhythm that comes and interrupts AAA runs again and again. It falls under the 90% workable/10% gay definition for me, because nearly all of my runs are ending at the polyrhythm at 1600. Everything else is cake.

      This isn't to say that the file isn't technical the whole way through, but I think it lacks a consistent technicality for the level of players that are playing it (being a difficulty 88). Again, not dogging the file -- I still really enjoy it and was going to make a chart for it myself at some point, but I'm glad DarkZtar did, because he did a good job with it overall. I'm not a fan of the polyrhythms, but they do make sense and I'll live with it because it's how DarkZtar wanted to express the song.

      P.S. the second guitar solo rocks

      Comment

      • DarkZtar
        (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Dec 2007
        • 668

        #63
        Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

        Originally posted by bmah
        However, I have to commend Darkztar for spending what I could only imagine was a ton of time syncing this long song which seems to have an endless amount of guitar solos. I won't let that go unacknowledged.
        This is pretty much all I can ask for, as a stepartist. ~=P Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I will respect that.

        Not too surprising to see more unfavorable comments towards Ordeal, but it was meant to be one of those monster files that gave even the insane elite players a good challenge, and naturally when you have a file that dense you run the risk of people interpreting it as too cluttered.

        Comment

        • bmah
          shots FIRED
          Profile Moderator
          FFR Simfile Author
          Global Moderator
          • Oct 2003
          • 8448

          #64
          Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

          Originally posted by hi19hi19
          The difference is, this file is absurdly technical the whole way through. The file clearly has one personality. If you don't want it, you can avoid it.
          As opposed to a file that is 90% flowing patterns and 10% bullshit stuff, and you get the worst of both worlds (not fun to play casually or for scoring)
          It doesn't explain the reception for songs like Flesvelka or SAMBISTA which are not 10% hard at one place but rather are technical throughout the entire songs. Those files do clearly have one personality - not that I find anything wrong with multiple ones too. I don't think it's as simple as your explanation suggests. Honestly? I think there's an unspoken mix of double standards as well.

          Originally posted by DarkZtar
          naturally when you have a file that dense you run the risk of people interpreting it as too cluttered.
          Have you tried stepping for solo? There are some songs that are much better represented through a medium that surpasses four arrows. If you don't feel like you can reasonably fit in everything you want, there's always solo which gives a greater stepping freedom.

          Comment

          • Razor
            Dan "Razor" Devilz
            FFR Simfile Author
            • May 2004
            • 1606

            #65
            Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

            reviews on what I've played:

            ETERNAL DRAIN: jesus christ, this file is godlike. everything flowed so well and it was just... fun to play, i wish it was longer. 9/10

            DownTemperature: cool file. it's also interesting how certain sections feel icyworld-like, and others feel dossar-like. 8/10

            44Edit: i've seen this file about 9002 times, and it was pretty bad to be honest. but you've come a long way towards fixing it and making it much more fun. 'grats 8/10.

            The Ordeal Becomes Great: this song is godlike, that's for sure. casually, it's fun to play, solos were on point and i didn't mind a lot of the awkward as fuck patterns. but i'd hate to be D6. 7/10

            Move it Groove it: go back to ITG. 8/10.

            Overdrive: this file went from being super cool on ThirdStyle to extremely awful on FFR... 5/10

            Ultra Sounds: typical hard pain kommi file. your song choices are pretty dope though, fun stuff ^_^ 8/10
            Originally posted by FFR Forum Awards
            Best FFR file from 2013:
            3rd: Retro City
            Originally posted by Choofers
            I play Stepmania, so I know everything about media formats.

            Comment

            • DarkZtar
              (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
              FFR Simfile Author
              • Dec 2007
              • 668

              #66
              Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

              Originally posted by bmah
              Have you tried stepping for solo? There are some songs that are much better represented through a medium that surpasses four arrows. If you don't feel like you can reasonably fit in everything you want, there's always solo which gives a greater stepping freedom.
              Nope, but it's something I've been considering for a while. I've never played solo (or even sm for that matter) so I'm not really confident in stepping for it. It also doesn't help that my stepping experience is pretty limited since I literally have only made files for FFR. (my files in game are pretty much ~80% of the files I have ever made)

              Comment

              • TC_Halogen
                Rhythm game specialist.
                FFR Simfile Author
                FFR Music Producer
                • Feb 2008
                • 19376

                #67
                Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

                I hadn't gotten the chance to put my thoughts about all of the files this round, but I'm taking a break from schoolwork so I figure I get it all out now.

                Division 1 - Disc Jockey MIKE: I'm personally not a fan of this song -- it's relatively uninteresting to me and doesn't exactly cater to my musical tastes, which is a bit rare. It just sounds really dull/monotonous to me. The saving grace in this instance is that the chart is excellent, and just feels right with the song. You've gotten quite good at making easier level charts, bmah.

                Division 2 - Walking on Dream: For the same reason as Division 1's song, I'm not a fan of the song. The song has a few changes in structure, but doesn't really provide much to listen to. The chart is also a bit draggy. There's nothing wrong with the chart, but it feels much longer than 1:40ish.

                Division 2 Tiebreaker - Move it Groove it [Heavy]:
                Move it Groove it: go back to ITG PIU. 8/10.
                fixed

                I wish that I had made fixes to this file before releasing it. I can honestly sit here and say that I'm really not proud of this file at all. There's a defined structure, but it follows things that are somewhat hard to note and are deep in the background, making the structure seem somewhat anomalous. The flow is alright, but I really don't like the chart structure outside of the chorus areas. Oh well -- gotta have a weak simfile once in a while.

                Division 3 - Eternal Drain: Amazing song, chart is awesome, not gonna delve into it. Well done, bmah.

                Division 4 - DownTemperature: You know, there was a part of me that really wanted to dislike this chart at first... however, I can't get over the pattern structure at the end of the file. It's really intricate and (despite looking nasty with the mini-jack usage) surprisingly fluent. Visually, some of the entrances/exits in this chart are quite different from any other FMO-level file, which is why I think I enjoy this file a little bit more. I enjoy listening to the song, too.

                Division 5 - 44 Edit: Favorite file of the round, for sure. This file picks the right times to be fluent, and the right times to be really rigid, too. The accenting is great, and the chart just feels right on the hands. This also happens to be one of my favorite Terminal 11 songs, so a great chart coupled with one of my favorite songs certainly makes for a nice experience. Fantastic job, Fission!

                The Ordeal Becomes Great: I've always loved this song from the moment I heard it when Mad Matt made his ITG chart, and that's no different now. This chart really fits well with the song, although the difficulty is very obviously forced in a few areas. However, it works very nicely for the tournament, because even the most skillful players are going to struggle with a number of these pattern transitions. DarkZtar, you really know how to get the job done when it comes to charting, haha.

                vROFL Second Chance - Overdrive: Very much enjoyed this file on ThirdStyle. I enjoy it less on FFR, but it's really only because the visual gimmicks are gone. The feel of the chart is still really nice, and the added bits in the middle to fill the empty space pay attention to some more details in the drop. Some of the trickier patterns didn't convert well initially, so I had to do a few minor frame fixes to clean things up, particularly in and out of triples.

                vROFL Second Change - Ultrasounds!: Not a fan. The file is alright and the 24th stream is justifiable, but the patterns are very uncomfortable to play out. Outside of the streams, the chart is pretty clean (being only 16ths and all), but there are a few really harsh handstreams that will trip up just about everyone.

                Comment

                Working...