Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TC_Halogen
    Rhythm game specialist.
    FFR Simfile Author
    FFR Music Producer
    • Feb 2008
    • 19376

    #31
    Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

    Originally posted by bmah
    I make every file (except Necropotence) with the intention of being fun but certainly not to cater to your bland preferences.
    SHOTSFIRED

    Originally posted by Mike Weedmark
    Why are patterns with ridiculous jumprolls that force you to drop random goods rated so low lately? A song I essentially don't have control of my score on should not be a 74. Well GLHF D4.
    All about youyouyouyouyouyouyouyouyouyouyouyouyouyouyouyouyou -- fun fact: this chart was actually supposed to be rated lower

    Originally posted by Mike Weedmark
    Eternal Drain is a 65 with a 16th tetrajumpjack at the end, aka a file where the AAA hinges on a fraction of a second of FGO in an ocean of stupid-easy. It's a good song and mostly a decent chart but its main reason for existing is to aggravate. The natural decendent of Largilloquent Dithyramb and PCS, except at least THEIR dumbjacks were in the intro. Stop accepting files like this.
    So, because the file naturally has a heavy repeated accent right at the end of the file, and the stepartist decided to chart it is such, we should stop accepting their charts? Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? These are the kind of disrespectful comments that I'm getting tired of seeing -- if you don't like the file, say that you don't, holy christ. People need to stop being rude because that is offensive not only to the stepartists, but the judges that accept it as well. Stepartists that are interested in charting aren't looking forward to ridiculous comments like these. As bmah said:

    Originally posted by bmah
    I make every file (except Necropotence) with the intention of being fun but certainly not to cater to your bland preferences.
    And for my own defense:

    Originally posted by Mike Weedmark
    Move It Groove It [Heavy] was extremely similar and just as easy to sightread as [Standard]. I don't know why there needs to be two charts for this, or how there could possibly be a 20 difficulty gap between them. It's the same file.
    It's not even close to the same file...? The chorus in the [Standard] chart has way easier patterns, and there is almost no layering in the [Standard] because all it does is follow lyrics for like 90% of the file. My file follows percussion, lyrics, background sounds, and is considerably heavier in layering because of all of the cohesive representation. If it's the same file, how is it that the D2 players involved in the tiebreaker can AAA the [Standard] chart, but not the [Heavy]? The rating might be a little bit high, but it certainly isn't "the same" chart, because my chart packs in almost 370 more steps in the same timeframe.

    Comment

    • Mike Weedmark
      FFR Veteran
      • Aug 2009
      • 1196

      #32
      Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

      There's not a lot to debate about rolls intended to be jumptrilled. They generate random goods and take the skill out of the game, or at least, to play them straight would constitute a massive difficulty boost anyway. Unless you think Skeletor is a skill file or something, or that everyone rolls the end of Mathsma or do i smile or Husigi, if I want to get absurd about my examples.

      So, because the file naturally has a heavy repeated accent right at the end of the file, and the stepartist decided to chart it is such, we should stop accepting their charts?
      There are two ways Eternal Drain could be improved: Fix the end to align better with the rest of the song, or fix the rest of the song to align better with the end. The jumpjacks themselves aren't stupid, they're just steps. The problem is, although spikes are fine in principle, they should still operate within the same reasonable limits as everything else. And for me, that means not potentially forcing full-song retries for a half second AAA hinge on someone who can very obviously destroy the chart and might be, say, going for Oni. It's only a minor frustration, sure, but doesn't FFR have enough of those? "For FFR" isn't one of the most hated files in the game for no reason. It does the same thing. About a hojillion times worse, but the same.

      Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?
      "These are the kind of disrespectful comments that I'm getting tired of seeing." - Halogen 2s earlier.

      If it's the same file, how is it that the D2 players involved in the tiebreaker can AAA the [Standard] chart, but not the [Heavy]
      Because they had a week for the first one and because they're D2. Okay, it's not TEH_SAM_FILE.exe, I'm sure you could pull up one of those handy dandy note charts and circle every new note so I wouldn't miss them. The fact is, halfway through heavy, I thought I mis-clicked on standard. They're about as different to me as the two Rondos, except RAT desperately needed a fix and MIGI didn't, although I should thank you for two free sightreads I guess.

      Comment

      • psychoangel691
        Retired Staff
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Dec 2004
        • 10438

        #33
        Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

        Not exactly hard for a D5 player to sightread files of those difficulties. The site isn't just about the high level players the files vary enough when it comes to the low and mid tier players.

        Edit: FFR is actually one of the only rhythm games I can really think of that doesn't have multiple difficulties for it's files (most have 4). I hate that it's like that, there's some songs that I'd love an easier version to but generally they get stuck as tokens if someone does do it.
        Last edited by psychoangel691; 03-2-2013, 03:14 AM.
        Originally posted by Charu
        My dick is good, thank you very much. It gets love and attention no matter what <3 <3 <3
        Originally posted by DaBackpack
        also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
        Originally posted by Shadow_God_10
        Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

        Originally posted by hi19hi19
        yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl

        Comment

        • bmah
          shots FIRED
          Profile Moderator
          FFR Simfile Author
          Global Moderator
          • Oct 2003
          • 8448

          #34
          Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

          Mike, what I was saying earlier mainly is referring to my frustration that people often associate a consistent file as a good one. I disagree with that, and you'll see others like hi19 make jabs at my justification for files that end up spiky. I step songs the way I think would be best represented - I don't iron out every significant difficulty spike to have your fingers autopilot through the song...even if there's only one or two of them (some people view this as a "near-perfect" file being "ruined"). People's affinity to consistency was my reference to blandness.

          It's one thing to point out criticisms, but it's another to tell judges/steppers what to do. Just be more careful with your words. It's fine if you don't enjoy a particular file.


          edit: if people submit songs with multiple difficulties more frequently, I'd really consider limiting the number of tokens that'd come out of them...
          Last edited by bmah; 03-2-2013, 03:26 AM.

          Comment

          • psychoangel691
            Retired Staff
            FFR Simfile Author
            • Dec 2004
            • 10438

            #35
            Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

            Oh yeah I wanted to also mention that bmah's files are some of my fave files on the site too. I like that they vary, keeps it interesting.
            Originally posted by Charu
            My dick is good, thank you very much. It gets love and attention no matter what <3 <3 <3
            Originally posted by DaBackpack
            also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
            Originally posted by Shadow_God_10
            Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

            Originally posted by hi19hi19
            yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl

            Comment

            • Wayward Vagabond
              Confirmed Heartbreaker
              FFR Simfile Author
              • Jul 2012
              • 5866

              #36
              Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

              There's a formula for stepping difficulty spiked sections in files though I won't get into it here because it involves graduate level stepping knowledge which none of you troglodytes can even begin to think to want to maybe understand. *scoffs*

              Comment

              • Coolboyrulez0
                VICES
                FFR Simfile Author
                FFR Music Producer
                • Aug 2006
                • 10042

                #37
                Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

                Originally posted by Wayward Vagabond
                There's a formula for stepping difficulty spiked sections in files though I won't get into it here because it involves graduate level stepping knowledge which none of you troglodytes can even begin to think to want to maybe understand. *scoffs*
                i feel ya carlos
                https://soundcloud.com/cbrbreakcore
                https://cbrrecords.bandcamp.com/

                Comment

                • _Fluttershy_
                  88 Black Flags & Counting
                  • Jul 2012
                  • 536

                  #38
                  Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

                  D1: A good file, nothing to complain about. 6/10
                  D2: The patterns are awkward but it's well stepped all the same. 6/10
                  D3: I know I've given bmah stick about his files before, but this file is one of his best, I really like this file a lot, it's well stepped JS. How JS should be stepped! 10/10
                  D4: No real complaints tbh. The patterns flow well enough. 8/10
                  D5: Fission plz ... no jk, not a bad first file. Can't really complain. 8/10
                  D6: Overstepped! That's all I gotta say! 3/10
                  Last edited by _Fluttershy_; 03-2-2013, 07:10 PM.




                  Comment

                  • EzExZeRo7497
                    ⠀
                    • Dec 2010
                    • 6858

                    #39
                    Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

                    Disc Jockey MIKE: That song lmao. It's a file for beginners, I personally like it quite a bit, definitely gives beginners some swing practice and all.

                    Walking on a Dream: This song is amazing. I really like the swing as well, it feels so fluent haha.

                    Eternal Drain: Brenton, where are you getting all your songs lmao (compliment btw). Good file, difficulty spike is kinda hilarious though.

                    DownTemperature: Not sure how I feel about this, lol. The intro is really annoying to hit, but it makes sense. It's a decent file, but I personally don't like it that much.

                    44 Edit: This file is great. Nice job Fission.

                    The Ordeal Becomes Great: Goddamn this is rigid. Hard file, it's not a bad file but wow there are a couple of spots that are really rough haha. There are some spots that I really like though, I personally loved the solo section.

                    Comment

                    • hi19hi19
                      lol happy
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 12194

                      #40
                      Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

                      Nearly every single song bmah steps is from BMS of Fighters or a BoF artist.
                      This is no exception (Eternal Drain is from BoF 2011, team Lyrical Signal Revival)

                      BoF songs naturally make for good FFR files because they are already tailored for rhythm gaming. They are always the correct length, have interesting rhythms and a natural flow for this style of game.
                      Last edited by hi19hi19; 03-2-2013, 01:23 PM.


                      Comment

                      • Hakulyte
                        aka Haku
                        • Jul 2005
                        • 4697

                        #41
                        Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

                        Close enough~
                        Ignore the score, point was just to compare music.


                        Comment

                        • Jonlovesddr
                          h
                          • Sep 2008
                          • 1631

                          #42
                          Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

                          i think i hate D3's song so much because i suck at it

                          Comment

                          • popsicle_3000
                            Legendary Noob
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            • Sep 2005
                            • 4642

                            #43
                            Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

                            d4's song looks easier than it is. deceiving! i haven't sorted out timing yet for jumptrilling the rolls yet...

                            Originally posted by One Winged Angel
                            39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
                            Originally posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
                            one way to stream them all
                            Originally posted by Xiz
                            Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

                            But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
                            Originally posted by thesunfan
                            replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
                            Originally posted by reuben_tate
                            Title: Popsicle Three

                            Thousand the farthest
                            He's gone in an official
                            Whoop hip hip hooray!
                            Originally posted by U.N. Owen
                            kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

                            @popsicle_3000:
                            Danger incoming
                            The popsicles are melting
                            Three thousand of them
                            Originally posted by Wayward Vagabond
                            you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

                            dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
                            friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
                            dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
                            friend: hey bro can i tell you something
                            dynam0 yeah man whats up?
                            friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
                            dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
                            friend: thanks man
                            dynam0: no problem man
                            Originally posted by One Winged Angel
                            pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
                            Originally posted by Xiz
                            Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.

                            Comment

                            • DossarLX ODI
                              Batch Manager
                              Game Manager
                              FFR Simfile Author
                              • Mar 2008
                              • 15013

                              #44
                              Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

                              I'll have to go against the current here and say that Ordeal is very forced. There were plenty of alternatives to make the patterns play better but I feel like I'm playing a weird mix of BEER's polyrhythms with one handed jumps inside along with White Walls 24th one handed trills sometimes with jumps inside too. It's also another case where I had to mute the music to play because guitar solos like this are misleading to the one handed patterns shown.

                              In terms of conversion that's out of the stepartist's control, the one handed trills are also disgusting in their placements. Most of the time it's hitting something like a 300 bpm one handed trill that feels faster than the song itself.
                              Originally posted by hi19hi19
                              oh boy, it's STIFF, I'll stretch before I sit down at the computer so not I'm not as STIFF next time I step a file

                              Comment

                              • TC_Halogen
                                Rhythm game specialist.
                                FFR Simfile Author
                                FFR Music Producer
                                • Feb 2008
                                • 19376

                                #45
                                Re: Official Tournament Round 6 Song Discussion

                                Who said it wasn't forced, haha?

                                I agree, it's definitely very forced and incredibly demanding. It's tough to keep up with some of the patterns.

                                Despite playing Ordeal another 30 times in the past hour or so going for the AAA, I still love it. Very challenging, but rewarding to nail all in one shot.

                                Comment

                                Working...