Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2022, 11:59 AM   #41
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger
Default Re: FFRMas 2022 Token Giveaway!

I'll play too.

Why did you join FFR and what makes you stick around?
I initially joined because my brother got Guitar Hero 3 for Christmas, and I wanted to see if other rhythm games on the computer existed, because my brother was always playing GH3 and I never got a proper turn to play on it. Found FFR in its golden years and left just as quickly. I found it again in 2012-ish on a nostalgia trip and there was 'Team Pony' and an Official Tournament running at the time, both of which I was interested in, so I participated in both.

It was the first time in my life that I've actually had friends for longer than a couple years, and so that was primarily the driving force as to why I've stayed around as long as I have.

What is the story behind your username?
Very, very simple. I needed a username to log into Ragnarok Online, one of the first MMO's that I played. Normally, and as naïve as I was, I used my e-mail as my username up until this point, and the game wouldn't let me do that. I had to come up with an actual username. I liked Pokemon Gold at the time, and my mom was watching Lord of the Rings at the time, at the part where Frodo was fighting with his sword named 'Sting', so naturally, my 8 year old brain put Gold and Sting together and I got 'Gold Stinger'. Eventually that name went through the wringer and turned into 'Goldstinger'.

Who from FFR makes a significant impact on your involvement in the community and why? (For example this can be someone from FFR you idolize/respect, an FFR rival that pushes you to improve, or a good friend from FFR that you made since joining.)
Absolutely Dossar when I first played. I wanted to be as good as the person that had YouTube videos of themselves, and had some of the best scores in-game at the time. I wanted to play them in MP and never got the chance.

After that, Team Pony made a significant impact. Once Team Pony started falling behind and into obscurity, I started going to Anime North, and wanted to contribute further with people that I've actually hanged out with irl, and started working as a judge, then events, and then a general mix of everything. Now it's Velocity that primarily keeps me around, and doubt that is going to change anytime soon until he nukes the website

What kind of feature would you want the most in FFR? (Can be for the game or the website.)
Campaign Mode.

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 06:37 PM   #42
Znow
FFR Player
D8 Godly Keysmasher

I joined FFR because I just wanted to play mania during school because I got really into robeats and just wanted to play when I couldn't play robeats. I still play today due to some enjoyable charts and wanting to improve my skill as a player.

I used to go by the user "Snow" and I was playing a game with friends one time and they asked if I was gonna name myself Snow so I just replaced the S with a Z and I've liked it since then.
Who from FFR makes a significant impact on your involvement in the community and why? (For example this can be someone from FFR you idolize/respect, an FFR rival that pushes you to improve, or a good friend from FFR that you made since joining.)
Any of the top players in FFR and any big tournament players form FFR inspire me to continue to improve as I feel that i'll one day catch up.
What kind of feature would you want the most in FFR? (Can be for the game or the website.)
I'd like an option to change the specific color for each lane in the default skins. I'm fine with column coloring but this would be a nice addition as I only see an option to change everything.
Znow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 12:49 AM   #43
Ultimate Mike7
Bloo Boi!
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

>Back as a young lad, i was really into the DDR machines at almost any arcade i went to and would always spend most of my time watching other (much better) players play it and be in awe of their speed, eventually i would play myself and have a grand ol time playing it with my friends. Then i wondered if it was possible to play it at home since getting a giant DDR machine in my own household was out of the question. Come a few months later i noticed whenever i came over to my uncles place his friend would sometimes come over and play this game called FlashFlashRevolution if you ever heard of it. It was what i always wanted as i went home and tried to find this game that my uncles friend played on the computer (I didn't know how to spell revolution back then... whoops!). Obviously; I stick around because any kinda rhythm game (mostly DDR and FFR) will always hold a special place in my heart. Oh and of course due to my shy nature. Meeting the great friends i've made on this website.

>I bounced between a bunch of accounts with much cringier names (That i will NOT list here.) than my current one and ultimately stuck with this as i was never good with online usernames for anything for that matter. Something something Mike is my name and 7 is a lucky number despite me being super unlucky; and Ultimate just being a cool sounding noun before my name. I have a much better online alias now but may as well stick with what my young dumb brain decided with all that time ago.

>All the credit goes to my uncle's friend as i would have never started my journey that i have now if i didn't see him play this game. But other than that, i guess (at the time) a bunch of high ranked players that i have now surpassed.

>Honestly? Run it back with those riddle normal token unlocks!
Old 12-19-2022, 02:33 PM   #44
revolutionomega
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to revolutionomega Send a message via MSN to revolutionomega

Joined in High School as I had started playing DDR a couple years earlier in middle school, had gotten pretty good, and a friend of mine showed me this game. I stick around even now with left hand/forearm issues due to the friends/acquaintances I've made along the way, seeing the game and players grow, and meme-ing on everyone.

I was an edgy fantasy-loving highschooler more than a decade ago and thought that a name basically meaning "the final revolution" sounded really cool. It also had obvious ties to both Dance Dance Revolution and Flash Flash Revolution in the name.

This is definitely a multi-faceted question for me as I've been around forever and the people who have pushed me, motivated me, and made it enjoyable to stick around has definitely changed. Would love to shout out some of those who I'm closer with/have met in person/spoken to on vc/discord. OG's: Rebirth0, TC_Halogen, Dossar, Samurai, Sephiroth, Hammy, Krunkykai, bmah, The5thMoon, Fantasticone, Haku, Matrix, Phynx, etc. NEW(er) SCHOOL AND MORE RECENT PEOPLE: Skayles, MarcusHawkins, ositz, Velo, eppu, Lights, April, Klarion, Zlyice, tosh, Pizza, Matthia, Cup, UltimateMike, Hayden, jh, visd, June, Subaru, T-Force, eryyy, xtra, aquellex, and many more who I'm forgetting.

A music player that allows you to cycle through all the public songs more easily.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:49 PM   #45
justin
Event Staff
Event StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Friend showed it to me, loved being a part of the community and enjoyed the game. Now it's mostly just nostalgia I guess? not really sure but I like being around still.

Early usernames for me were justin_ator, moved to justin as I prefer that. It's... my name, who would have guessed.

Who from FFR makes a significant impact on your involvement in the community and why?

It's changed a lot over the years, I've had a lot of impact from staff that I interacted with and looked up to, and a lot of friends that I made along the way over the years. I met funmonkey54 on here and we're good IRL friends at this stage so I have FFR to thank for that probably. So many different 'why' explanations, depending on the person. Ha...

I've had a lot of ideas over time that I was really interested in seeing come through, some have and some haven't. I think a more mobile-friendly approach to stats viewing, and tourney standings would be ideal. The main engine to have file import like the AF engine did. I would love to see the Raw Goods Counter work I did released too - I know lots of folks would find that quite useful as well.
Old 12-19-2022, 09:50 PM   #46
du67ty
FFR Player

Got banned from etterna and I had heard about FFR before so I decided to switch over to playing this since i currently like it more than osu!mania.

In 2018 I hit my hand on my keyboard and got this, decided to use it for everything since I think it looks nice.

Being able to see how many credits you have in game.
du67ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 10:52 PM   #47
Neutrxn
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-9 View Post
Welcome to the FFRMas 2022 Token Giveaway!

The event this year will be much more straightforward than the past. There will be no challenges, but everybody will have an equal chance at winning an event token and some credits. I will be giving away 24 tokens selected via the wheel of names. To be eligible, all you have to do is answer one of the questions listed below. Please feel free to answer all of the questions! You will receive 10000 credits for each question you answer.

Questions

You have until December 21st, 2022 11:59 PM server time (CST) to participate.

Rules:

-All normal forum rules apply.
-Serious answers only, please.
-One event token per person. (No alts.)
-If you already have all of the listed event tokens you can still participate. If you win, you can gift your token to someone who has participated in this event only if they haven't won. (If there is no one eligible, you will receive 50,000 credits instead.)
-You can gift your token to someone else even if you don't have all of them. (Same gifting rules apply as above.)

I plan on sending out prizes the day after the event ends. Good luck!
Q: Why did you join FFR and what makes you stick around?

I joined FFR because my brother used to play it. I grew up with rhythm games and got pretty well at it at a young age. I stick around because this site allowed me to not only find a weird skill, but to also find new songs to listen to outside of it. I'm always grateful to finding new music.

Q: What is the story behind your username?

This alias isn't used anymore, but previously, many friends would tell me I looked like Jimmy Neutron. I also liked astronomy so neutron sounded awesome at the time.

Q: Who from FFR makes a significant impact on your involvement in the community and why?

When I first joined, players such as MrPreggers and MarcusHawkins were the first people I met. They allowed me to come play MP or just hang around to blow some time. They are amazing people, and it's been many years talking to them. I hope they are doing well.

Q: What kind of feature would you want the most in FFR?

I know this was already done in the past, but hopefully, I can see the FFR Shop come back with sweet tokens, apparel, and other cool stuff to buy to remind myself that this website will always be part of my childhood.

Last edited by Neutrxn; 12-19-2022 at 10:54 PM..
Neutrxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 10:56 PM   #48
MarcusHawkins
Constantly Improving!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to MarcusHawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrxn View Post

I joined FFR because my brother used to play it. I grew up with rhythm games and got pretty well at it at a young age. I stick around because this site allowed me to not only find a weird skill, but to also find new songs to listen to outside of it. I'm always grateful to finding new music.

This alias isn't used anymore, but previously, many friends would tell me I looked like Jimmy Neutron. I also liked astronomy so neutron sounded awesome at the time.

Q: Who from FFR makes a significant impact on your involvement in the community and why?

When I first joined, players such as MrPreggers and MarcusHawkins were the first people I met. They allowed me to come play MP or just hang around to blow some time. They are amazing people, and it's been many years talking to them. I hope they are doing well.

Q: What kind of feature would you want the most in FFR?

I know this was already done in the past, but hopefully, I can see the FFR Shop come back with sweet tokens, apparel, and other cool stuff to buy to remind myself that this website will always be part of my childhood.
wow that's a blast from the past! Glad to see you're doing well my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Medley View Post

This man is three months too early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badman7772 View Post
Guess I'll take another Quality Pack please. I won't have Hawkins luck but I'm sure I'll have badluck7772.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zenith_ View Post
what the fuck marcus lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
You should all thank MarcusHawkins btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRNGGin View Post
Marcus is probably going to be the main man to win this (You will always be my DDR brother for life, MarcusHawkins! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Kitten View Post
Best Newbie
1st: MarcusHawkins: 4

Up And Coming FFRer
2nd: MarcusHawkins: 3

Last edited by MarcusHawkins; 12-19-2022 at 10:56 PM..
MarcusHawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 01:58 AM   #49
Toxicity783
The Breadwinner
FFR Veteran

Why did you join FFR and what makes you stick around? While bored out of my mind in high school, stuck with nothing but the $150 chromebooks the district gave to every student, I randomly wondered if there was such a thing as a half-decent online rhythm game and landed here. Upon trying to branch out to other X-key games, I discovered the horrendous concept of releasing a sustain within a timing window, and immediately rushed back to this game and its complete lack of sustains and haven't looked back since.

What is the story behind your username? I'm just a prick, to be honest. 783 has no significance to me whatsoever, I randomly landed on it when making a minecraft username in 2013 and have stuck with it since for no reason in particular.

Who from FFR makes a significant impact on your involvement in the community and why? I've never been the type to idolize in general, and I've genuinely never had a proper conversation with anyone in this community. The closest thing I've ever had to a rival was rsr2 during the OT15 D3 Top 8 tiebreaker, in which we traded PBs back and forth up to the last hour, with plenty of twitch chat trash talk. Good times.

What kind of feature would you want the most in FFR? HIT. SOUNDS. Seriously, you do not realize how much of a difference a tiny little thump can make in your perception of accuracy until you try a game that has it. The importance of being able to hear in real time whether you're early or late cannot be understated.

Last edited by Toxicity783; 12-20-2022 at 02:13 AM..
Toxicity783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 03:58 AM   #50
Tru
e
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile Author

I can't remember who, but someone made a thread about FFR on the Insomniac Games forum. At the time it was the only forum I actually used in part because we only got home internet a few months earlier in 2006. It was the coolest thing I had yet seen, and even had a very modest playerbase in my high school (though I never interacted with them directly).

I stick around for a massive combination of nostalgia, a top notch community, a wide variety of achievements to strive for and a curated selection of some of the highset quality files any vsrg has to offer all from (for now) a single small download. Plus some behind-the-scenes stuff is kind of interesting to follow/create.

Tru > Lifted directly from the model of TV my Mom got for free after getting enough points for it in the catalogue from the store she worked at. It became my TV that I used all the time for my PS1, PS2, Gamecube and Wii. It's a 20" RCA TruFlat TV that I still occasionally use for my old consoles.
Maestro > Pretentious, socially clueless 14-15 year-old me
Why I dropped "maestro" > I can't create or play a melody on an instrument/computer to save my dang life lmao. Once ositz started shortening "trumaestro" to "trums" I decided I didn't want to chance being confused for someone else who started here but has actual musical talent. Also I'm not 14 anymore lol. So I copied Wirry and made a new social/chart account and keep the old one for playing/scores so I don't have to re-get tokens etc.

I kind of find it difficult to list out individuals but
-SGX - Was the first musician I ever actively tried to follow online. I remember pushing for them to be included in the only round of Support Tokens (when Tass held a SponCon for it) and buying it as soon as it was out and I could convince my Mom to let me use her credit card.
-flipsta_lombax - Beat me creating an account here by a bit but was also a member of the Insomniac Games forum at that time.
-Shoutout to Breakdown16 or anyone else that I didn't remember interacting with in the former PMS forum minigame
-Also shoutout/apologies to all the judges that have looked at my files over the years. I've definitely sent quite a few stinkers in my time but have got ample, critical feedback to help improve. A testament to this community's quality focus.

Outside of that it's just a big shoutout to this community in general. This is by far the best community I've had the pleasure of being a part of. Y'all keep that shit up yo

-Borrow another page from Etterna and have live gameplay customization, to actively see the effect of changing settings.
-Live chart previews and/or NPS graphs in menu
-Permissions Thread v9 eventually
-Also can't wait for RRR
Tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 01:13 PM   #51
Gradiant
FFR's Resident Trashpanda
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Played a lot of DDR as a kid, eventually got it for the xbox as a gift but the soft pads were awful so I ended up just playing with the ABXY buttons on a controller. That led to just looking for an online version of the game, finding FFR through Kongregate though that version didn't work so I ended up making an account on this actual site itself. Game and community are great to where even if I don't play nearly as much 11 years later I'm still here whether it's just to check the forums/maybe play a game of TWG or make some more stepfiles.

First account was simply my full name which was dumb. Swapped my GT and tokens over to this current account which was just a combination of 'radiant' + 'gradient' thinking I was clever lol

Who from FFR makes a significant impact on your involvement in the community and why?

Team Blaze - First real group of people online I had any involvement with, led to me being a bit more open with myself and talkative
Khenra & Popsicle3000 - two closest rivals I had throughout D3-D5 skillrange
Charu - Met through joining Team Blaze and after talking with them for several years started an online long-distance relationship. Several years ago I made the move out to live with him and here we are, he's the best boyfriend ever and I don't think I'd be where I am now if it wasn't for meeting him through this community <3

What kind of feature would you want the most in FFR?

Really just want replays working on the site again so we don't need to copy codes from the site and paste into a separate window on the game client to look at other players' scores. Also being to play modded extra files on the main game like TWWW or Ochitsukeruwakenaiwayo! [Super] rather than just on the April Fool's client.

Last edited by Gradiant; 12-20-2022 at 01:27 PM..
Gradiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 03:25 PM   #52
snooches
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

-Overhead a couple people in class back in middle school talking about flash games to play at the time, heard FFR brought up and since I was getting into DDR it caught my attention. Was pretty much my goto game from there on. Still lurk around just out of habit, plus just a good source for finding new music.

-Change up from my previous which I never really liked, just stuck with it because I was committed to the progress I had made on it. This name was kind of random, sounded entertaining and the interpretation to its meaning kinda varies from an outside perspective which adds to it.

-Not so much anyone currently as Im not really active in the community anymore, but back when I was qqwref, reptile3141, funmonkey54, sky kitten, sk8r43, kmay, Jerry DB, etc just to name a handful who I was most involved with.

-Overall site revamp is very much needed, outdated and just was never fond of the layout to begin with.

-Game wise, maybe some sort of specific training engine or sub section to the current engine where you can practice specific patterns, speeds, etc without having to isolate off charts. Also, in addition, some sort of easier way to mess with gameplay setup experimentation. Gameplay editior only does so much and doesnt so much help with a actual gameplay feel, and hopping back and forth gets annoying at times.
snooches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 08:23 PM   #53
Znow
FFR Player
D8 Godly Keysmasher

1. I joined FFR as I was really into robeats and wanted to play on my dad's laptop but couldn't get roblox and i found this game. Sticked out because I love playing VSRGs and I enjoy a bunch of the charts here.
2. I used to go by "Snow" and my friends thought I was gonna name myself that in another game we played so I just changed the S to a Z and I just kept it from there.
3. Any top players in FFR makes me want to become better. Seeing how they can set impressive scores makes me want to do it more and I feel that I am slowly getting there.
4. I would like there to be column coloring like in other VSRGs. I know you can set all the notes to a certain color but choosing individual colors for each column on default skins would be nice. I haven't seen this so idk
Znow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 09:47 PM   #54
QwertyVibin
Reverse procrastinator
FFR Veteran

- I joined FFR because of one of Tokaku's videos about VSRG. And back then, I really hate long notes for some reason, so seeing FFR that doesn't have long notes and the health bar ain't strict like Osu Mania makes me stick around more than other 4K rhythm games.

- My original username was supposed to be "AndrewYT2004", waaaay back in 2014 or 2015. But due to how lame that was, I decided to change something else. Since I had no idea what will be my online username, I looked at my keyboard and hey the word "Qwerty" is visible, and I like making games, so Qwerty it is. The term "Vibin" is just something random for FFR. At first, I don't think I will really be into this game due to how old it is and maybe there is no active community, so I made this account for fun. But, after I joined the discord server, I realized that FFR is still being alive and well. Too bad I can't change my username to "QwertyAndrew" but I don't mind that lol.

- There is no specific user that makes a significant impact on me (as I think I'm one of the few Vietnamese players here on this site), but if I really have to pick, that would be Jade5_, NotSpiralingEnough, and kmay.

What kind of feature would you want the most in FFR?
- For the website, it would be great if it is modernized. But if not, that's alright, because I like the retro aesthetic. For the game itself, there is nothing much to complain about it actually, however it would be great if the replay system is more accurate.

QwertyVibin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 10:12 PM   #55
RenegadeLucien
FFR Veteran
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Why did you join FFR and what makes you stick around? Joined because fun game. Stuck around because fun game. Really nothing more to it than that.

What is the story behind your username? "Lucien" comes from RuneScape, I had a name that was pretty close to Lucien right when a big quest was released that prominently featured a character named Lucien, and all my friends on RS started calling me Lucien, eventually I just made it official. "Renegade"...I just thought it sounded cool haha

Who from FFR makes a significant impact on your involvement in the community and why? Definitely gotta mention Bynary Fission here, he kept me motivated to play and improve for a long time.

What kind of feature would you want the most in FFR? Automatic difficulty calculator would be the ultimate, but of course that's a pretty hard problem to solve.

RenegadeLucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 12:57 AM   #56
Fantasticone
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I blocked Maplestory and was not computer literate at the time to figure out why I couldn't login so I searched DDR for keyboard and here I am. I stuck around cause of MP chat and I currently stick around now cause that's just what you do when you been here that long.

Low self esteem.

Rebirth broadened a more social aspect of it for me in MP chat, simfile making, teams, etc.

Turn off pitch rates

Last edited by Fantasticone; 12-21-2022 at 01:01 AM.. Reason: I don't think google was around at the time to search
Fantasticone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 10:10 AM   #57
The_IL_Guy
FFR Veteran
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Seeing staian play stepmania at agdq got me into rhythm games and I picked ffr because it was easily accessible.

The IL in my name stands for Individual Level because I enjoy doing individual level speedruns of games.

Matthia because he is the goat.

Replays to work on the site.
The_IL_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 11:15 AM   #58
emulord
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Why did you join FFR >
I saw some kids playing it in the computer lab because it was one of the few game websites not blocked, so I played and wanted to save my scores.

What is the story behind your username >
emus were my favorite animal in 6th grade, and we are forever haunted by the sins of our past usernames lmao
emulord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 11:20 AM   #59
alster1
What is this I don't even
FFR Veteran

-Looking for an online DDR game and stumbled upon it.

-My name is Alex and I believe "alster" was taken

-Don't really participate in the community aspect much, but I was really into Shashakiro's videos back in the day!

-Not really a feature, but more Dance Gavin Dance songs
Old 12-21-2022, 11:45 AM   #60
Janko2000
♪ Expert Arrow Killer ♪
FFR Veteran

Post Re: FFRMas 2022 Token Giveaway!

A: My first game was Guitar Hero on my 1st touchscreen mobile phone ~10 years ago when i fell in love too with rhythmic games. Since then I have played a lot of rhythm games on various platforms, for example: Guitar Flash on FB gameroom, SCGMD4 on kongregate.com website, Piano Tiles 2 and lot of guitar games on mobile. I think I stuck there, because I wanted to see my tapping skill improvements and statistic, how many songs can I FC and AAA and many songs to play in one place.

A: my first name + my year of birth = my Janko2000 username -> end of "story"

Q: Who from FFR makes a significant impact on your involvement in the community and why? (For example this can be someone from FFR you idolize/respect, an FFR rival that pushes you to improve, or a good friend from FFR that you made since joining.)

A: The biggest impact on me had WirryWoo and his FFR Self-Improvement Tournament 2 years ago when I improved 48 of my top 100 song scores in a month.

Q: What kind of feature would you want the most in FFR? (Can be for the game or the website.)

A: my 3 ideas:
1. Release FFR on steam - I know is harder to do it and maybe expensive but I think it would help the community grow faster and find FFR more easier.
2. FFR monthly competitions for example: First 3 players with most arrows smashed in a month win physical prizes example: special gold/silver/bronze monthly token and/or keyboard.
3. Songs practice mode to start where you want and master your song part which cannot play well.
Janko2000 is offline   Reply With Quote