Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk > Songs of the Week
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2022, 12:02 AM   #1
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Songs of the Week 07/15/2022

Hello and welcome to another Song of the Week release for July, with the third round of the 15th Official Tournament!

The new files we have for you this week from the Official Tournament are:

Kadinchey
Musician: Pogo
Step Artist: Psychotik
Song Length: 2:04
Song Style: Plunderphonics
Difficulty: 38
Arrow Count: 639

Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
Musician: Rise Against
Step Artist: storn42
Song Length: 2:54
Song Style: Hardcore Punk
Difficulty: 55
Arrow Count: 1163

Angel Wing
Musician: uma
Step Artist: jh05013
Song Length: 1:52
Song Style: Progressive Hardcore
Difficulty: 67
Arrow Count: 1147

The Friendly Wolf (Part 1)
Musician: Championanwar
Step Artist: Xtreme2252
Song Length: 3:34
Song Style: Ambient Breakcore
Difficulty: 75
Arrow Count: 1825

Micro Media Broth
Musician: Virt
Song Length: 3:02
Song Style: 8-bit
Difficulty: 88
Arrow Count: 2481

Apocaliptix
Musician: Juggernaut.
Song Length: 2:08
Song Style: Symphonic Hardcore
Difficulty: 93
Arrow Count: 1801

Schwerkraft
Musician: ROKINA
Step Artist: jh05013
Song Length: 2:02
Song Style: Astralcore
Difficulty: 103
Arrow Count: 2224

We also have an extra song in this release:

Erase Me
Musician: Make Them Suffer
Step Artist: storn42
Song Length: 3:45
Song Style: Metalcore
Difficulty: 86
Arrow Count: 2364

Enjoy!
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 05:06 PM   #2
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Songs of the Week 07/15/2022

All of these are based on watching the previews. No playing was done.

Friendly wolf imho is a really bad file, though it tried to keep the roll walls less silly, I think GS calling it a "tech" file is... imho inaccurate.

Some extra details so it's not just me shitting on it:

1. Roll walls. This file is literally littered with them in uninspiring ways. Some graces sprinkled into the intro do not a tech file make. There's nothing really in the rest of it that'd let me give it that label. I'd just refer to it as the rollwallrng file tbh.
2. The pattern at 906 combo is disgustingly awful, it also makes some of the walls technically wrong. (I get what the charter is doing here in trying to denote the difference in sound - but it's inconsistent, and wrong.)
3. The long jacks ~193ish should have been mini jacks.
4. The outro 8th jacks have no business being that given the pitch shifts. Those ones are horribly obvious.
5. I'd love to check over ~406's roll pattern in editor, I'm 75% confident its wrong. I'm willing to be wrong here 'cause video preview though.

D2's I'd skip on song choice tbh. But that's a personal thing. File seemed fine. Would prefer to one and done it though.
D3's as far as songs from that boring band are, the file looked fine.
D4's song has a doubled BPM for no explainable reason. Otherwise that file looks fun as fuck and super solid.
D6 A bit too dense imho, nothing really gets to shine through rhythmically on this. It's not bad, but I'd love to see the nontourney catering difficulty one. A spicy easier file could get made here. Except that one handed 24th early on, get that outta there. Rest was good.
D7's file looks like a well tuned work. I wish I was able to play and enjoy that one. It looks good with the right flavor put where it ought to be.
D8's looks like the same level of care went into this as D7's. I'm curious if they altered the colour of the wall to make it less rng for the player, and often I'd not make this assumption, but there's a lot of fun details (I see those 192nds buddy, clean) that'd make me assume this.

If I had to pick between dummy, and friendly wolf as the worst file in tourney so far, it'd be friendly wolf, it dethrones pretty handedly. But these are totally my own thoughts on them.

Edit: Actually wanna add in a thought - I usually like the easier files and dislike the harder ones, and it's very weird having a bit of a shift on that.

Last edited by XelNya; 07-16-2022 at 05:07 PM..
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 01:40 AM   #3
jh05013
oh hi
Event StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
D4's song has a doubled BPM for no explainable reason. Otherwise that file looks fun as fuck and super solid.
The song alternates between 5/8 and 6/8. Admittedly it's pretty confusing though. Thanks for the comment!

On the other hand, I just looked at my Schwerkraft through ArrowVortex and realized how wrong it was. The bursts and gluts were definitely much less carefully placed than the jumpstreams, which are where I think most of the complaints came from, and are difficult just for the sake of being difficult. Especially I've always found jumpgluts in several of my charts to be a little obnoxious, and I think I've learned a hard lesson this time.
jh05013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 02:06 AM   #4
FlynnMac
Boom.
Local FFR Person
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh05013 View Post
On the other hand, I just looked at my Schwerkraft through ArrowVortex and realized how wrong it was. The bursts and gluts were definitely much less carefully placed than the jumpstreams, which are where I think most of the complaints came from, and are difficult just for the sake of being difficult. Especially I've always found jumpgluts in several of my charts to be a little obnoxious, and I think I've learned a hard lesson this time.
I would gladly play a fixed up version of Schwerkraft
Old 07-17-2022, 02:10 AM   #5
WirryWoo
Forever Derbyless
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Quote:
If I had to pick between dummy, and friendly wolf as the worst file in tourney so far, it'd be friendly wolf, it dethrones pretty handedly. But these are totally my own thoughts on them.

Edit: Actually wanna add in a thought - I usually like the easier files and dislike the harder ones, and it's very weird having a bit of a shift on that.
Out of curiosity, what's your favorite file in the tournament so far?

WirryWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 11:04 PM   #6
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh05013 View Post
The song alternates between 5/8 and 6/8. Admittedly it's pretty confusing though. Thanks for the comment!

Totally fair, and thanks. That's not something I'd be able to notice without looking for it so thanks for the educate there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirryWoo View Post
Out of curiosity, what's your favorite file in the tournament so far?
D5 round 1 is the only one I've really played and enjoyed. (I've only played it, D5 r2, and Dummy to be fair off the top of my head, it's not quite a fair contest) I didn't dislike last round's D5 song, it just had like one part that puts it behind round 1 for me personally. I think it was some part near the end, some like jump jack?
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:00 AM   #7
WirryWoo
Forever Derbyless
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Quote:
D5 round 1 is the only one I've really played and enjoyed. (I've only played it, D5 r2, and Dummy to be fair off the top of my head, it's not quite a fair contest) I didn't dislike last round's D5 song, it just had like one part that puts it behind round 1 for me personally. I think it was some part near the end, some like jump jack?
That's fair. In hindsight, I'd change the [13] jumpjacks to [34] jumpjacks. Only reason why I stepped it as is is to try and isolate the melody that follows after that part which begins at 4.

My thoughts:

Kadinchey: Interesting song, file is good. Great work on this one!

Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated: Didn't play it yet but file looks fine. Song is meh.

Angel Wing: Didn't play this one either, but I really love the time signature changes and the stepping approach here. File looks very fun to play as well! Definitely my favorite file this round Awesome work jh.

The Friendly Wolf (Part 1): This file is more difficult than I thought it would be. Fun rolly file that plays very well into the music. Great first file Xtreme!

Micro Media Broth: This file was super stressful to AAA (thankfully got it on sightread). Definitely well crafted overall and does extremely well with acknowledging the complexity of the music. Psychotik is definitely up there as my favorite stepartist as he consistently produces really great files.

Apocaliptix: File is stepped well and the song is a banger. I wish I can play the 24ths more consistently for my own tournament performance. They felt very aggressive overall.

Schwerkraft: : o)

Erase Me: My favorite storn file! Only thing I dislike is the random burst where the singer goes "BLEHAUGH". I guess the steps capture that since I felt exactly that when playing it lmfao.

Last edited by WirryWoo; 07-18-2022 at 06:00 AM..
WirryWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:38 PM   #8
Elite Ninja
Kawaii Desu
Difficulty Consulting Cat
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Kadinchey: This was enjoyable to play for a lower difficulty file.

Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated: File seems fine. Not my kind of cup of tea for music so it's just kind of one of those songs I hope to one and done. I think I recall someone saying this is a cut version of the song so I appreciate that~

Angel Wing: Overall a really cool file and enjoyed playing this one haha. Very memorable and I'm interested in playing it on rates later on. There was one section that stood out odd to me though and that's around 900-ish combo where it feels like there's missing notes that should have been there. Great job tho o7

The Friendly Wolf (Part 1): Was honestly looking the most forward to playing this file the most because it kind of reminds me of files like Obscene Amount of Steam (my favourite chart to exist shoutouts to Wilson ) and such with it sounding somewhat similar to a SessileNomad kind of song and having a rolly/bursty nature and slight tech to some of it but more tame. It was really fun to play and even though it took me a few attempts to fix the sightread missflag I had on it I didn't regret having to play it more than once since I like the song and the chart is fun! On a technical aspect sure I can see some areas that could use improvement/changes but all in all I care more about a file being fun rather than technically correct usually. Great job on your first file in-game Looking forward to Part 2 (if there even is one )

Micro Media Broth: Oh boy... I feel bad for D6 yet again. They are getting murdered by jacks left and right in these early rounds. As soon as I saw this chart started up in the preview stream I immediately said something along the lines of "oh hey it's Weapons brother" or something and I'm sure many others felt the same way at the time, which is bad news for me because I have a bad relationship with Weapon (aka BFed it since ages ago and can't fix and don't agree with it not being a scarhand get as it's an 84 right now). I have to play this song on mirror to make it feel slightly less uncomfortable but either way it still feels uncomfortable in some areas. I think the file is well done and I really enjoy playing mostly everything that's after the intro. The intro I have a huge gripe with how some of the jumpglut patterning feels in play. The difficulty of this file for sure lands in the intro and ending of the file for me but the ending is really fun to play at least.

Apocaliptix: Much like Micro Media Broth, the intro is pain and not fun to play again for me. The patterns feel horrible and mirror only slightly helps it feel less awkward but not enough. Outside of the intro the rest of the file is really fun to play tho.

Schwerkraft: As most D8 song reviews are expected to go for me. Too hard for me to fully appreciate because I'm not at that level of play right now but what was playable for me was really fun outside of the spike and I have a feeling that if I was able to play at a D8 level that I'd actually really enjoy more of this chart but I won't know until if I ever get there . But yeah I actually found this file fun when I'm playing at the top of my game.

Erase Me: While I'm not a big fan of the song or this style of music I actually really really liked your chart for it and definitely would have to say this is one of my more favourite "storn" charts I've played. Great job~

Last edited by Elite Ninja; 07-20-2022 at 09:45 PM..
Elite Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote