Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Art and Graphics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-3-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

Default I did some art

The results kinda shocked me a little, since I haven't really done anything like this before. Go Stepmania.

Link to DA page

Any advice?
Arntonach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-7-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

Default Re: I did some art

Did another one, woohoo~

DA link

Old 05-7-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
Xiz
TWG Chaos
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Xiz

omg wut o.o

Do you have larger sizes? I could use a new wallpaper :P

Xiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-7-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

No, but I'll keep that in mind for future pieces. My computer has fun trying to deal with transforming layers, especially if they're big. The music glitches out and PS stops responding for a few.
Old 05-7-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Stuff like this is 5 minute tutorial work and isn't really impressive to anyone serious. That being said, the contrast is way too high, the brightness is overwhelming and the saturation is too intense to be visually appealing. Ever seen a whore with too much make-up? It's kinda like that to say it bluntly lol. The amount of black also reminds me of cheapo 90's graphics where digital art was still in its infancy. Overly bright/contrasted/saturated imagery happened a lot back then but if you look at real life and nature, very rarely does saturation ever reach such high contrast and saturated colors. Inadequate use of black and white removes any atmosphere or mood you're trying to create.
The first one also has a feeling of a picture layered on top of another picture since the cloud formations blend in with the planets. The first one also has weak composition and the starscapes themselves in both pictures lack visual interest because they're too even which gives a monotonous feel. Both pictures also lack crispness which you would expect in something as massive as space. The second one is a bit better than the first in terms of composition and color but other than that has the same issues.
Old 05-7-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
XxXMetalheadXxX
Lack of faith=disturbing
FFR Veteran

I really love the first one. I'd use it as a wallpaper as well if it were a big enough size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Ormix View Post
n ordR 2 ayayay song on maniastep you must mov ur fingr tothbeat of song an it recptr clean on ifyou do thgreat then no ayayay 4u
XxXMetalheadXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2013, 12:59 AM   #7
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

Thanks for the support guys, especially spitfire. And to think I thought high contrast should be used as often as I did. :[

Well, here's something recent I did. I have a much larger version, buI can't upload it at the moment.

Old 08-3-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arntonach View Post
And to think I thought high contrast should be used as often as I did. :[
Contrast itself is a great and vital tool but there are many other ways to create contrast (using composition, shape, outlines, dramatic lighting or color contrasts for example). Simple black/white contrast is often enough the least appealing way to create contrast to use in a realistic scenario because it gives off an unnatural look unless it's part of the stylization (for example pure black shadows in some comic styles like Spawn, but then it's not really a realistic scenario anymore anyway).

This image uses a more realistic sense of lighting and color and creates contrast through other means than simple black and white. There's no pure black or pure white at all in this picture, not even in the highlights of the metal parts of the ships (check for yourself in photoshop if you don't believe me). Often enough a cartoony style with these elements in mind will look much more appealing and atmospheric as well so it's applicable to any kind of stylization (see Ratchet and Clank concept art as example)

Last edited by Nullifidian; 08-4-2013 at 12:12 PM..
Nullifidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ View Post
Weird at what happens to some edges of the boat. (looks like chromatic abberation to be honest) It's a cool picture, where does it come from ?

But yeah, Spitfire has resumed some important points you need to avoid or you can improve. I would say try more complex compositions, don't be afraid to experiment extreme scales or make a planet exceed the side of the canvas for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
The second one is a bit better than the first in terms of composition
Imo, I prefer the first one. The size difference between the stars is more interesting and they are scattered better.
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

these are both neat though they both look like you are putting a layer on top of another layer. it doesnt really look natural at all because it seems like there are three layers. blackness of space at the bottom followed by planets in the middle and then the dust and stars on top of everything else.
Old 08-3-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname219 View Post
Weird at what happens to some edges of the boat. (looks like chromatic abberation to be honest) It's a cool picture, where does it come from ?
It is a fake chromatic abberation yeah. It's a trick done with warping the red channel a bit to create a more realistic touch (as most films and cameras have a similar effect when they shoot a picture).

As for the picture itself, it's by an artist called Peleng. You can look up his work by searching for peleng art. He makes some really cool and sometimes a bit bizarre works but his work isn't all sfw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname219 View Post
Imo, I prefer the first one. The size difference between the stars is more interesting and they are scattered better.
Perhaps, but the main attention grabbers (the planets) are placed iffy (such as the planet close to the right edge of the picture).
Old 08-3-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Excellent x_x