Old 02-4-2014, 12:25 AM   #1
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219
Default Musical Genres Revamp

It starts today.

The plan is to tag songs with relevant and precise musical genres, so we can have a wide enough selection for each songs. It will improve some of the entries that are inexact and help us decide which genre or combination of genres should be listed. That means, made-up genres will still be used, but they will be more precise.

To help us do that, I've created this spreadsheet :

>>> here

If you remember the Rate Your FFR File project, it works the same way. If you have a Google Account, you can send me a private message (or post in this thread), so I can designate a column for you. If you don't have one, you can link it with Hotmail or Yahoo or create a new one. Note that your email will be visible between collaborators. If you want to remain anonymous, I can add genres for you in the spreadsheet (your propositions will appear under row F - Others).

Tip : If you see striked sections, you can remove them in View > Protected ranges.

Color legend
Red : 0 vote
Orange : 1-2 votes
Yellow : 3-4 votes
Green : 5+ votes
In a perfect world, everything should be green, but more realistically, Yellow will do.

A note on tags : basically, you can write what you want. Musical genres, terms, moods, progressive, upbeat, etc. There's no limitations. However, if you use a borderline or a too-broad genre, less are the chances it will be used.

I will update the 3rd post of the Song Corrections Thread later with that information.

Last edited by noname219; 03-15-2014 at 12:50 AM..
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-4-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Musical Genres Revamp

It always bugged me how almost every song is classified as a different genre...I get that people might want to know what the song they're about to play sounds like, but the current genre system is way too overcomplicated to the point of losing it's purpose imo.

Examples: Halloween Novelty, Gypsy Punkstep, Gradius Electronica, Happy Tune, Internet Meme, Nu Skool Breaks, Vocoder Techno, etc.

These 'styles' are way too specific and are unintuitive to new listeners. Keep it simple! If anything, it's the blanket genres (dance, dance2, classic, rock, etc.) that need greater emphasis.

I'll submit what I can but don't expect much specificity in my genre choices.
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-4-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzExZeRo7497 View Post
Sure, email.
You're added, tell me if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
It always bugged me how almost every song is classified as a different genre...I get that people might want to know what the song they're about to play sounds like, but the current genre system is way too overcomplicated to the point of losing it's purpose imo.

Examples: Halloween Novelty, Gypsy Punkstep, Gradius Electronica, Happy Tune, Internet Meme, Nu Skool Breaks, Vocoder Techno, etc.

These 'styles' are way too specific and are unintuitive to new listeners. Keep it simple! If anything, it's the blanket genres (dance, dance2, classic, rock, etc.) that need greater emphasis.

I'll submit what I can but don't expect much specificity in my genre choices.
The problem is that some songs cannot be described with only one tag. And with the technical limitations of the database, there's no good way of entering two or more genres on the same line. If songs were searchable by genre in the engines, it would make more sense of not having made-up genres. That's why I decided to make the wiki completely genre functional, it will be an easier way to browse genres. I agree that the categories are completely outdated, but I don't know the status about this and I don't think we can change them without changing the UI.

Last edited by noname219; 02-5-2014 at 11:06 AM..
Old 02-11-2014, 02:28 AM   #4
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Bumping this thread, we need more votes.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:33 AM   #5
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Earnestly I think listing song genres is a massive hindrance. There are people who won't play songs due to their genre alone and really miss out on the whole experience.

I hope you guys at least obliterate the absolutely stupid ones though.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I haven't seen people here that are against a genre so much that they would never touch a file from that genre (I'm sure there are some though). At the very least, people can mute their speakers...

In the meantime, I've started to integrate some genres into a genre tree on the wiki : http://ffr.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Music_Genres. I'm not done yet with the definitions/redirections and I need to add a few more genres. If you think I've missed some, feel free to tell me which one(s).