Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk > Contested Chart Difficulties
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What should Excite Bike [Heavy]'s difficulty be? (Currently unsure how much lower it should be)
50 or lower 1 7.69%
51-55 2 15.38%
56-60 0 0%
61-64 0 0%
65 (Leave as is) 2 15.38%
66+ (Higher) 0 0%
0 (unranked) 8 61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2023, 03:50 PM   #1
SnowLucario
FFR Player

Default Excite Bike [Heavy] [50 ~ 55]

"https://www.flashflashrevolution.com/levelstats.php?level=3087" <- Excite Bike [Heavy] Level Stats for reference

(Apologies for scuffed format, this is my first post and cannot post URLs yet)

This map is 9 seconds long and contains 105 notes. This makes it heavily retry spammable and due to how AAA equivalency is a function solely based on difficulty level and raw good count, it makes it relatively easy to end up with a 40-50 AAA equivalency by mashing through the patterns. Also with the short duration of the map, it is more doable to memorize the patterns through frequent repetition, which partially is why even with only 345 unique players on the map over half (176) have a AAA on it and 72% (249 players) have a FC; no other map in the 60's has a FC/AAA ratio close to this. This is partially due to the skill token requirement to unlock this, being to pass Excite Bike [Light] ("https://www.flashflashrevolution.com/levelstats.php?level=286") with a negative raw score, but this skill token in itself is also quite cheese able due to judge offset and the fact that this is also on a 9 second long map, meaning that it's reasonably possible to retry spam until a lucky run occurs.

There is the fact that this map does have a 19 NPS peak at 0:07, but this NPS burst is a hand jack (3 hand placements set 1/4 beat apart from each other), which is relatively easier to hit compared to other similarly dense patterns. The rest of the map is around 15 NPS, which for about a 5-6 second burst of difficulty can be similarly found in a map like TURBO [Tokyo Machine] [Heavy] ("https://www.flashflashrevolution.com/levelstats.php?level=3063") from 2:14 to 2:19. TURBO is a 67, but it's difficulty spike is made up of a dense jump stream pattern which is inherently harder to read and play than what is mostly made up in jacks and trills, not to mention the fact that TURBO has almost 13 times more notes and the parts leading up to and after the diff spike have some challenge.
SnowLucario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 05:08 PM   #2
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger
Default Re: Excite Bike [Heavy] [50 ~ 55]

Wow, it's been a long time since someone used the "Contested Chart Difficulties" subforum.

I'd personally be ok with leaving the difficulty as-is but moving it over to unranked (difficulty gets greyed out), since there was some heavy discussion about it already on that topic before it was even released but ended up getting a rating anyways because we really need to be moving away from giving songs a 0-difficulty rating, and there is now a system for that.

You make an extremely compelling argument though for 9 seconds of content so I'm interested to see what others think about the actual sliding of the difficulty regardless of unranking or not.

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 05:37 PM   #3
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

We don't have maps here, but GS's solution is probably better, though maybe still move it up one or two. Not because your post isn't compelling, but because rating the difficulty of a 9 second song is fairly arbitrary in the first place. Migrating it to unrated because of the length + the fact it's just a dense spamming of notes to gibberish is a solid use of that system, and mostly because the arguments here are impossible. Some people would rate it differently based on their thoughts on how Length & Density + Patterning matter as a whole. There's not really any winning here.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 11:12 PM   #4
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I think Excite bike heavy and oni should be unranked, but thats just my opinion based on oni not feeling like an 82 to me. It feels way way harder than that even though it shouldnt be given a higher difficulty.

I like your argument on Heavy though.
Old 08-13-2023, 02:19 PM   #5
s1rnight
( ŻuŻ)-b
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to s1rnight Send a message via Skype™ to s1rnight

i made a little script a short while ago that shows "percentage of AAA on files by people of X range of capability"

each horizontal line here is a different chart, and each vertical line is "a slice of users with completed scores on the chart, who are within five levels of the bar's column number" - so theres a column for "percentage of AAAs among users who are level 5-15, 6-16, 7-17, 8-18, 9-19 and so on" ...

the pink bar shows the percentage of "people with user levels +/- 5 of the chart's rated difficulty". this means that already abt 40% of players at level ~65-75 already have a AAA on this file... and in almost every other case for files around this difficulty that rate is less than 10%! or often less than 5%

excite bike (heavy)'s profile is particularly out of place, not only is it more suited to the mid-50s, but you don't actually see a profile consistently like this until files in the late-40s... (it could just be downstream of how difficult it is to unlock, so that "very dedicated people" are the scorers on it. but its out of place even among skill token files!)

Last edited by s1rnight; 08-13-2023 at 02:28 PM..
s1rnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 10:17 PM   #6
SnowLucario
FFR Player

Wow, the results of this script are actually quite fascinating to look at and yea, they do confirm that this map is def not like the other 65 charts. Thinking about it more I might have been underestimating the diff spike in this map a bit since I tried a few more times yesterday and could not get close to replicating my past scores on it. In a sense, the patterns on this map are def of 65 difficulty, but I completely agree with making the map unranked. It can probably be something like a unranked 63 (still think 65 might be a bit much), but changing it to something in the low 50's even if unranked would completely throw off players not prepared for the patterns in this map.
SnowLucario is offline   Reply With Quote