Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking

Old 12-22-2020, 07:30 PM   #21
Andrew WCY
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Weird Theories about everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
It's because in the definition of theory, it is meant to be a system of ideas intended to explain something that would otherwise be unexplained.
I know that lol. I'm just stating the obvious is all.
Andrew WCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #22
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Default re: gold stinger

Quote:
Then give me some reasons why you think or believe this is the case (a.k.a, give me some content to critically think about).
For example, I have seen real UFOs in the sky on numerous occasions. During those occasions, I stopped what I was doing and watched them intently. Each sighting was of different kinds of UFOs with different flight patterns and details. I am very interested in this topic, watching numerous documentaries over the years, and I am personal friends with many other folks and members of the UFO community. Thus, anyone who says we're full of hogwash is being a spoilsport.

I hope you understand my explanation.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:57 PM   #23
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger
Default Re: gold stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_Flesher View Post
For example, I have seen real UFOs in the sky on numerous occasions. During those occasions, I stopped what I was doing and watched them intently. Each sighting was of different kinds of UFOs with different flight patterns and details. I am very interested in this topic, watching numerous documentaries over the years, and I am personal friends with many other folks and members of the UFO community. Thus, anyone who says we're full of hogwash is being a spoilsport.

I hope you understand my explanation.
Alright, so are all of them completely unidentified here? Or have you also seen planes/helicopters and shrugged them off as such?
Which would you say you've seen or noticed more of (identifiable vs unidentifiable)?
Have you tried deducing/tracking down exactly what you saw? There's a couple websites out there that help you check overhead air traffic like https://www.flightradar24.com/ or https://flightaware.com/

- Tosh 2014

Last edited by gold stinger; 12-22-2020 at 07:58 PM..
gold stinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:11 PM   #24
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

No comment. UFO-ology is one of many pseudo sciences, and the information about it is difficult to obtain, or find very easily, due to the nature of it. But yes, they are alien aircraft.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:19 PM   #25
gold stinger
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_Flesher View Post
No comment. UFO-ology is one of many pseudo sciences, and the information about it is difficult to obtain, or find very easily, due to the nature of it. But yes, they are alien aircraft.
I mean, I'm just asking regarding what you've personally experienced, not what UFO-ology has to say about it as a whole. Like sure, if that's your belief then by all means stick to your guns on it. No qualms about that. Just hard to accept & albeit a little annoying to 'probe' (haha ufo joke) for truth or perspective on the subject when you do get a chance to ask questions about a worldview that you don't necessarily share and get shut down.

- Tosh 2014

Last edited by gold stinger; 12-22-2020 at 08:20 PM..
Old 12-22-2020, 08:33 PM   #26
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Default Re: gold stinger

Quote:
question
Sure gold stinger.
I've had 4 UFO experiences of notability.
  1. 2008: I was watching what I thought was a satellite moving across the night sky, but then it crossed paths with a star, and disappeared, apparently docked into the star.
  2. 2018: I was sitting on a park bench one night, playing Dragonrip on my cell phone, when I noticed some craft in the sky. They were a group of around 7 small, silver triangles. Since they were flying around under the low-hanging clouds, I could tell that they were only 3 meters in length/width at most. They were maneuvering in alien ways, accelerating and sharply turning supernaturally. Intent on watching them as long as time permitted, I finally just got bored and left after 2 hours of watching them fly around.
  3. 2020: Saw a very strange looking, large object, flying very low in the sky, about 1 mile away and cruising toward me at about 60 miles per hour. As it drew nearer, I thought that it looked like a paper machier parade float version of a Gundam Wing robot, glowing with combinations of red, blue, and green translucent lights. I watched it pass over me, and continue until it sunk lower, disappearing under a ridge.
  4. 2020: I saw another very strange object in the sky, at an altitude of about 150 meters. I shouted at it loudly and waved my arms as I watched it moving unnaturally. I could only imagine if it was manmade, it was a very very large drone.

UFO-ology is basically just all the collected stories like this from folks. No one is seeing UFOs with any amount of regularity.

Last edited by Travis_Flesher; 12-22-2020 at 08:40 PM..
Travis_Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:07 PM   #27
Quaze
FFR Player

Quote:
theory: this is a terrible critical thinking thread.
why do you say that this thread is horrible and keep answering in it?
Quaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:42 PM   #28
gold stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaze View Post
why do you say that this thread is horrible and keep answering in it?
I didn't say this thread is horrible. I said that it was a terrible critical thinking thread. As in, it doesn't deserve critical thinking status.

- Tosh 2014

Old 12-23-2020, 07:59 PM   #29
Andrew WCY

Personally, I see potential in this being a good critical thinking thread, provided that we don't treat this as a 'chitchat' thread and try to elaborate our reasoning behind the simple statements we say in here.

Even though theories aren't necessarily provable or verifiable, they do provide good opportunities for discussion on specific topics and possibly even further everyone's knowledge and depth of thought on them. Instead of thinking alone, we could get multiple people to think of one thing and come up with more substantiated ideas. Isn't this a good chance to learn more?

Of course, we could only do that as long as the reasoning behind our theories is logical or reasonable. I'm sure everyone's got something good to share!
Old 12-23-2020, 08:06 PM   #30
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew WCY View Post
I'm sure everyone's got something good to share!
I could talk weird theories all day, but I get tired of doing all the talking.
I just wanna kick back, relax and read some theories.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:02 PM   #31
Dynam0
The Dominator

Theories that lack empirical evidence are little more than wishful thinking. Sure they might be interesting what-ifs but I find a lot of unnecessary energy is wasted trying to validate ridiculous claims for the sake of some personal satisfaction (religion being a good example).

The adage "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" is good to keep in mind here.

If a theory is considered "weird" then it would fall into the extraordinary category and to echo goldstinger, really wouldn't be worth talking about unless there are enough supporting facts to consider and talk about. Every example given in this thread so far has been pure conjecturing.
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:20 PM   #32
flashflash account
FFR Player

4 dimensional objects cast 3 dimensional shadows

ghosts are shadows of 4 dimensional people aka dead people/people who haven't been born yet

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIce View Post
FFA playing 4D chess in Gemity while us mortals are stuck on this gay earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAshy View Post
I’ve demonstrated self-awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
i was pretty close to letting this slide tbh, but honestly your utter lack of understanding of the situation irritates me more than anything else at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
seriously everything i wrote went way over your head if your reading comprehension is so far below third grade level while people may care about your opinion you should refrain from giving it because it's worthless
flashflash account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:08 AM   #33
Andrew WCY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
Theories that lack empirical evidence are little more than wishful thinking. Sure they might be interesting what-ifs but I find a lot of unnecessary energy is wasted trying to validate ridiculous claims for the sake of some personal satisfaction (religion being a good example).

The adage "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" is good to keep in mind here.

If a theory is considered "weird" then it would fall into the extraordinary category and to echo goldstinger, really wouldn't be worth talking about unless there are enough supporting facts to consider and talk about. Every example given in this thread so far has been pure conjecturing.
I highly agree with you on that. Some theories, however interesting they are, don't help us learn more about ourselves or our surroundings. They remain merely as curious thoughts that go nowhere.

Even then, I still think there are good theories to talk about. Not all 'weird' theories have to imply extraordinary/religious stuff. We could be talking about our theories based on our observations on things happening around us, especially politics. For example, one could discuss about the seemingly terrible things presidents or some nations do, and give reasons as to why that's done.

And even if we were to purely talk about (mostly) baseless conjecture, I still find this a good and fun way to learn to think better about certain topics. There might be points one has neglected to evaluate, or perhaps through discussions, one might find out that their reasoning is very biased. Too often nowadays do people just present one side of the story without considering the full picture, and we end up with people who blindly side with a certain party or group. Even I make this mistake sometimes.

To sum up what I think of this thread, I consider it not just as a chitchat thread, but also as a chance to develop critical thinking skills and talk about theories that might have some ground to them. This could become a good critical thinking thread if we treat it as one.

Last edited by Andrew WCY; 12-24-2020 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: Fix formatting issues
Old 12-24-2020, 06:54 AM   #34
inDheart
Picker @ JAX2
FFR Simfile Author

itt we rediscovered reincarnation and biodegradation?

this isn't anything particularly new but i'm guessing anyone who can "see in 4D" would need some noise-filtering mechanism as well, or observation of the fourth dimension would need some recency or understanding bias so one's vision doesn't just swim in continuous lines. i think it's easy to argue either of those biases would make sense because of the problem of our brains holding limited information, at least, and what flashflash says about shadows would mean there are still observables to find where something currently is

there was an xkcd about movie character interaction graphs, and i'm wondering if a book in "4D" would want some accompaniment like that, if it has any visual reference
inDheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:32 AM   #35
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by inDheart View Post
i'm wondering if a book in "4D" would want some accompaniment like that, if it has any visual reference
The nature of the characters, (the Machines, Programs, Anaomlies, phenomena, and entities) of The Matrix films would be easy to do that with I bet.
Travis_Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:00 PM   #36
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

pardon the conspiracy but 9/11 never happened
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:26 PM   #37
TC_Pr0
Washed up d5 player
FFR Veteran

I've always wondered about if the life we're living now is just a memory of the life we just passed away from and we're already deceased.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:32 PM   #38
HateMyself
Banned

World Conspiracy theory is still actual for me, I think that all these events are planned and scheduled and I read them like an open book
HateMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:29 AM   #39
Rivaloo
Banned
FFR Veteran

I have this theory that donuts and bagels are from alternate dimension parallel from eachother and have some how ended up in the current one they reside now as they gaze at each other from across a distance before their life's mission is full filled with cream
Rivaloo is offline   Reply With Quote