Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2017, 06:31 PM   #1
DoroFuyutsuki
FFR Player

Lightbulb Looking for Opinions

Hey Everyone!

Long time FFR / Stepmania / Rhythm Gamer here looking for YOUR opinion (wow, my account was last visited 7-21-2005).

I'm trying to get back in shape so I'm making a controller interface for a step platform to my PC.

What do you think is the highest difficulty song on FFR that can REASONABLY be played by physical feet?

As a side note, do you believe that jumps / trips / quads inserted into streams are "Artificial Difficulty?" A couple of my friends and I are having this debate and I'd like some outside opinions.

Best,
Doro
DoroFuyutsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MooMoo_Cowfreak
Default Re: Looking for Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoroFuyutsuki View Post
As a side note, do you believe that jumps / trips / quads inserted into streams are "Artificial Difficulty?" A couple of my friends and I are having this debate and I'd like some outside opinions.
Hell no is jumpstream artificial difficulty. Jumpstream highlights other aspects of the song as you play and can create some incredible rhythms through smart layering. Jumpstream isn't just not artificial difficulty, it's an essential part of the game that you must learn in order to get better. It's very real difficulty that you must master.

post-dumps abstractly represent the existential nihilism that the song invokes in the listener with negative space, evoking the ephemeral nature of the mind - the journey of stepmania begins in hope yet soon becomes corroded into a dialectic of futility, leaving only a sense of dread and the unlikelihood of a new synthesis
MooMoo_Cowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2017, 09:46 AM   #3
contrapatior
Banned

yea when I started out, jumpstream and heavy jacks and basically anything that's "easy" nowadays was arbitrarily hard. but as I became better and was able to focus on the song as well as the notes I would hear what the jumpstream was associated with. the only style of charts that are "arbitrary" or "artificial" are dump charts and even then those have a way of being bad or good, but its more of a meta reason.

basically, just keep practicing and strengthen your muscle memory and you'll soon realize how to hit certain patterns and why those patterns were used in the first place
contrapatior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Personally I encourage you to follow through with your pad god dreams, I believe in you.

I feel like the highest level of song that could be realistically played would be like, Flight of the Bumblebee... you could probably get to d4 or d5 on pad if you were really good just by cherry picking stream songs, imo

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 02-1-2017 at 11:44 AM..
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Jumpstream is really intended for keyboard play. On pad it is obnoxious and results in double stepping or bracketing and both techniques don't really accomplish the intention of jumps. I would agree that it's a form of artificial difficulty at higher speeds.

Classically though, having a section start or end on a jump is pretty typical and makes the player really stomp that one spot hence giving it substance.

I'm no expert on what's playable on pad tho rip
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

The first biggest issue you are going to run in to is the fact that you can't hold down notes without it giving you a bunch of boos (so you can't stand on a panel), but I think watching you tip toe between the panels trying to avoid standing on one would be hilarious, so I definitely support this goal.

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 02-1-2017 at 11:44 AM..
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2017, 04:55 PM   #7
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
The first biggest issue you are going to run in to is the fact that you can't hold down notes without it giving you a bunch of boos (so you can't stand on a panel), but I think watching you tip toe between the panels trying to avoid standing on one would be hilarious, so I definitely support this goal.
If I recall correctly you don't get that issue when using the R^3 engine. It is a thing in all engines that are R^2 and earlier though.

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2017, 06:40 PM   #8
DoroFuyutsuki
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo_Cowfreak View Post
Hell no is jumpstream artificial difficulty. Jumpstream highlights other aspects of the song as you play and can create some incredible rhythms through smart layering. Jumpstream isn't just not artificial difficulty, it's an essential part of the game that you must learn in order to get better. It's very real difficulty that you must master.
This is pretty much my stance. When I first started to see jumpstream my thought initially was "No way can you do this with your feet. This doesn't belong in the game." But then I started to realize that Stepmania / FFR was its own game and not just an extension of DDR / ITG. In the context of "fingerplay" (ooooh that sounds dirty lol) Jumpstream and Jacks have context... it's not an opinion that my friends like or agree with. Good to know I'm not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry
Personally I encourage you to follow through with your pad god dreams, I believe in you.

I feel like the highest level of song that could be realistically played would be like, Flight of the Bumblebee... you could probably get to d4 or d5 on pad if you were really good just by cherry picking stream songs, imo
Thank you!

I appreciate all your feedback guys.
DoroFuyutsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2017, 07:41 PM   #9
dadcop2
FFR Player

jumpstream on pad is mostly doable until you get up+down or left+right jumps. those would require some really weird movement in some cases but other jumps you could bracket
dadcop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2017, 08:07 PM   #10
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

ffrmania's arcade genre is all pad packs iirc. Send me a pm or whatever if you wanna get that set up. As far as main FFR charts go, I think Vertex BETA is paddable?

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2017, 08:14 PM   #11
Walrusizer
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Walrusizer

the streams in vertex beta would be doable on either 1.3 or maybe even 1.4 on pad i think

Last edited by Walrusizer; 02-1-2017 at 08:15 PM..
Walrusizer is offline   Reply With Quote