Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Calcium Deposit
I am the liquor
FFR Music Producer

Default Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs

That's right folks, a new Amnesia game

Much like the first Amnesia game you start off very bewildered, confused, remembering nothing but bits as you wander about a creepy environment.

Unlike the previous games, AMFP has NO resource management. There's not even a sanity meter. In a it way makes the game better for focusing on the story, but makes it less challenging.

Graphically, it's a slight improvement from it's predecessor. But visually I find it more striking with it's steampunk-inspired architecture and machinery.

I would also like to mention this genre of games is about immersion. I feel like many people feel too frightened of the idea of being trapped in such scenarios so they don't let themselves get attached to the character in any way and leave themselves aloof to what is going on in the game. "oh thats not scary, just pig mutants running around trying to kill me? lameeee". Really? If a pig mutant was trying to kill me in real life I am certain I would soil myself and so would you. You might feel brave by not letting this game touch you, but the braver people are the ones scared shitless and continuing on anyway.

I now see what Al Gore was so valiantly trying to warn us of

He was in fact
super
cereal
guys

Last edited by Calcium Deposit; 09-16-2013 at 09:15 AM..
Calcium Deposit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222
Default Re: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs

no tinder, no insanity, no fun.

Outlast is probably the better bet for horror.

Slenderman will always steal my hear though.
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tps222 View Post
always steal my hear though
like, from all the screaming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Calcium Deposit
I am the liquor
FFR Music Producer

losing the ability to choose which candles were lit didn't really kill the game for me

the sanity though, I kind of missed since it added an interesting dynamic to the game
Calcium Deposit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
Kibblre
Caelondia Represent
FFR Veteran

I heard this game suffers from the classic horror game "do 3 things to progress to the next area" cliche.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

So this is the next game everyone will be doing scare cam LPs for?

Besides, AmnesiaD wasn't immersive, it was scary and was smart about it too. Kinda wish there wasn't generic horror game puzzles strewn about. But that's more of a genre problem than a specific game's issue to deal with.
Arntonach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Banned
FFR Veteran

sanatorium is better D:

okay, scarier
top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
omega_grunt666
Nescio quid faciam
FFR Veteran

Without the distraction of managing sanity/oil (Assuming you left the gamma low enough to need the lamp to see and not just need light for sanity) it was easier to see which encounters with the monsters were actually dangerous VS just for scares.

No inventory meant item puzzles were very short-range and easily solvable, sometimes having tons of extra pieces strewn about just in case you manage to screw up and drop it down a hole half a dozen times. And because of the short range (rarely covering multiple rooms unlike the first game) it was easy to breeze past everything, the only time I actually got stuck in any way was trying to figure out the gate towards the beginning of the game. Even spending 20 minutes on that I still beat the entire thing in under 3 hours. Not that length is an issue, they didn't charge for a full release, but it was still disappointing.

Considering the implications of the "Machine", there wasn't really any gore or disturbing imagery to help set a tone for the game. It was pretty much easy puzzle -> hallways -> Jump scare -> Easy to avoid monster -> Repeat.

The worst is that I was actually dreading the water part that was being teased all the way up until it turned out to be another stupid puzzle, falling into a set path and sprinting for a ladder in plain sight. Unlike the first game, I didn't have to worry about where to go (it was literally on rails), being hit by the monster had no consequence as health regenerates and at worst I would end up 10 seconds back to try again. I wasn't on the look out for more matches/oil/laudanum, I wasn't under time restraints or mid-puzzle. It was just bad.

The only time I died in the entire run-through was to the second encounter with the electric pig, because apparently Right = Death and Left = Wait there was a scare there?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
mi40
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

no overanalyze please

play 2 shit pants
Old 09-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

I won't lie, I enjoyed it and was scared for most of it so far.

Actually, I've got maybe 2 hours on it right now and need to get back to it.

I haven't read many reviews because I've been avoiding spoilers, but for the most part it just seems like a lot of people bitching because it's not dark descent 2.

Personally, the insanity thing from DD was actually annoying and I'm glad they removed it. As for the lamp, I don't really care. Thus far the lamp has been less than useful in allowing me to see properly in the dark and avoid scary encounters so it doesn't matter anyway.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I enjoyed the first Amnesia (played it in the dark with headphones) -- what's the second one like in terms of fear factor?

(No spoilers pl0x, I didn't even know this game existed until I clicked this thread)
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
shenjoku
Wubalubadubdub
FFR Veteran

I was extremely annoyed that you can't interact with hardly anything in the environment anymore. Throwing random shit around was a lot of the fun in the first game for me.

In any case, speedrunning the game is rather fun so I'll probably get a lot more time out of it than most people just for that.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
Xayphon
sausage
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Much less jumpscares than in DD, but imo more atmospherical/psychological horror @reincarnate
Xayphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Yeah I'd agree with that. DD was scary in many situations because you'd open a door or click an item and then all of a sudden those mother fuckers would show up and aggressively chase you. However, tbh the scare factor was lost once you realized how the monsters spawn.

Machine for pigs doesn't really have that problem, at least from what I've seen. Less predictable but the scares aren't the same in terms of shit coming out of nowhere. The build up to the first encounter is almost painfully long. You know it's coming for quite awhile, and playing it in the dark with my headphones on, can't lie, it was pretty good. I was scared.

I'd say get it if you liked DD, just don't expect it to be DD2. A number of things from DD were removed to streamline the gameplay. I like it, some people don't. To each his own.

Last edited by Reach; 09-18-2013 at 09:10 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote