Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR Batch Forum > FFR Songs and Artist Permissions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Darkbreezee
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default First file

Hey guys , as u can guess by reading the title of this thread i finally created my first stepchart...
now many of u guys are ppbbly like :" omfg jesus another offsync- false stepped piece of crap", buut, i rly put a lot of effort into the steps / syncing / offset and stuff, i needed about 12 - 13 hours to create the steps, and i used 3 programs called DDream/ MixMeister and Stepmania.

I know its ppbbly far from perfect, and i may did a lot of wrong stuff here and there, but anyways:
"I rly want to get a file into FFR someday, maybe not this one, and maybe not in the next few months.., and maybe never, but i rly want to try and to learn in creating epic charts.

So if there are any FFR pros out there , that are great in chart sim-creation please lend me your hand, and help me to improve. =)

PS: if u want that file in order to help me, send me a PN, or inform me here.^^

Greeze:
Dark
Old 08-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691
Default Re: First file

Send it on over, I'll take a peek at it. ^_^
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
psychoangel691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Darkbreezee
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

thanks a bunch for ur feedback, im looking forward to ur detailled suggestions, in how i can improve this one =)

are there stilll any other volunteers? xD
Old 08-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
XxMidigamixX
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to XxMidigamixX Send a message via Skype™ to XxMidigamixX

I'll take a look at it.

XxMidigamixX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
dayum
FFR Player

I would gladly give you input.
dayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
bassCannon
Banned

Send it over to me.
bassCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Darkbreezee
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Files have been send. ( Check your inboxes)
Looking forward to ur reviews =)
Old 08-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

I might as well post my review here for other judges to compare:

Quote:
Hey, Darkbreezee! Just got around to play your file! Here's my (beta) review. Remember, you should take this lightly, as I am no official judge. I still think that it could help you revisit some spots of the song in order to perfect it.

Be aware that I was VERY picky. I know the judges of the Queue Batch Thread don't go easy on anyone, so I'll try to be as strict as I can. If you contest any of my comments, simply send an explanation and we'll try to figure out who's right. :P Again, my goal here is not to make you feel like s***.

----------------------------

First of all, the first thing I notice is that you did not currently fill out the info for your song. For instance, the artist's name (DJ Sharpnel) is shown as the song's name and your username is shown as the artist's name. Overall, it's pretty confusing. Here's what you should write and where in order to make the info correct:

(in the stepmania editor)

- Main Title: The Others
- Sub Title: (you leave this field empty)
- Artist: DJ Sharpnel

(in your browser)

- Name of the song folder: The Others (Darkbreeze)

See, your name is only featured on the song's folder, as it should NOT appear in stepmania. Don't worry, if your file gets accepted in the batch, the judges will look up who charted the song through the folder's name. If you check out other files from other simfile artists, you'll notice that they filled their info the same way (most of the time, as they don't all submit songs to FFR).

Good stuff about your song:

- It was made with care. Now this may not sound like an official trait for a chart, but let me explain: what I was first expecting was a beginner's song. I was happily surprised when I played your song the first time, as it had a nostalgic style that made it fun! Still, there are some issues and suggestions I'd like to make, but I wanted to let you know first that I was impressed by what I saw at first.

- Nice attention to detail. With almost every arrow, I could tell which sound it went to, which is, believe it or not, rare with new steppers.

Things to work on:

- The sync. It may as well be me, as I have no proof and confirmation of what I am saying, but the sync seems a tad off. When I test it out with assist tick at 0.4x, it seems not too bad. The beats are off by a hair, but it does seem valid. However, when played at full speed, something definitely feels wrong about the sync of the arrows. With a song this hard, you really have to nail the bpm! It's hard to explain, so, all I recommend is to look up in DDReam how the beats align to the peaks of the waveform. It might be very close to perfection, but you have to make sure it's perfect (on the top of the peak - zoom in in DDReam in order to make sure your beats are perfectly placed). It might be the bpm or the offset, I can't confirm as of now because DDReam broke down on me, but, if you could fix this (again, if the issue is real), it'd make the file already 10 times better.

- Redundancy in the patterns. This may be because the song itself is very repetitive and very very long. The chart smells like copy/paste, which is not a feel you want to go for in order to please an audience! I recommend cutting the song (and, at the same time, a few steps) to around the 124,40th second or at least the 210.65th second. Anything beyond that is just ridiculously long, despite all your efforts to fully chart the song. If you really want to preserve the whole song, find a way of making the steps vary. Again, the first option is objectively better if you want to submit your file to the batch, as the judges find long files most of the time boring and finding new unique patterns for the same repeating sounds through the song is harder than it seems if you want to keep the chart's quality high. Just a thought: if you don't want to submit this song, it may make a good marathon in order to sharpen up your FFR skills.

- Song choice for this chart was... meh. It is true, DJ Sharpnel is one of the most steppable artists ever for rhythm games, but he is also the most overused! If you want to make your name shine in the simfile "industry", you have to pick up hidden gems. For that, I recommend listening to as many artists as possible listed in this thread, especially the ones in pink. Those are every artists we have permission for, so use this list to your advantage!

Side note: did you know that song choice is almost as important, if not more important, than the chart itself? Picking a unique song we haven't heard of before is a great way to make the balance tilt in your favor in a judge's heart, despite all he/she will say.

- I wouldn't chart the streams like at the 19.84th second. Instead, I would just leave it blank. The wall is unnecessary, especially in the beginning of the song!

- Pitch relevancy is missing. Back in the day, this theory wasn't used a lot, that's the reason why I previously said this file made me feel nostalgic. There are many spots where you could follow the pitch. The most obvious flaw is at second #89.84. While the yellow arrow and the one following are on sync (or seem to be, like I previously talked about), they are both left arrows and the note they represent is CLEARLY different. The first one has to be more to the right. You must polish this kind of mistake. ;P Another one that comes to mind is around the 21.15th second. If you start placing blue notes, why not as well make that part fit the little girl's voice or the quick little synths that sound a bit like lasers? When it goes lower, go from right to left and vice versa. That will make the player feel like they actually are playing the song, and not just a chart that matches the beat of the song. I know that you chart the synths of the song, but following a pitch will give the song a bit variety, especially when it's this long!

- The arrow at 36.26 seconds in is what we call a ghost arrow. You have to remove it as it doesn't relate to any sound and makes the gameplay unfair. Look for these and eliminate every ghost arrow you see!

- The 60.36th seems stepped very poorly, yet it is a very cool part! By poorly, I mean that the jumps seem placed at random. Make them fit the synths. For example, instead of (34)1(23)4... step (12)(34)1(13)(24)3(12)4. The challenge will then seem a lot more reasonable, even if, in reality, the pattern I just made up is clearly more difficult :P.

- Look at the 97.60th second. You used 24th notes (pink being the smallest division), while it should be 32nd notes if you closely listen when slowing down the song (hold ctrl+alt and press left several times). I suggest using 16th notes, though, as this is a clam part of the song and the sounds are hard to distinguish. It makes the play-through fairer. This error repeats over a few times in a row. Either put 16ths or 32nds, but, clearly, 24ths won't do.

- 117.21 seconds in, those jacks are pretty nasty. I just wanted to point them out. They are pretty borderline in my book! xP

- On the 105.98th second and the other similar patterns, you are missing a note in the group (a blue one at 150.94th, in this case). We call this a missing note. Look for them as well! There are a lot around that part of the song, so slow down the song and listen carefully.
-----------------------------------------
Those were the issues I could point out as of now. Clearly, since I am trying to be as picky as possible, this could take all day to point out everything (especially because the song is 4.5 minutes long omfg!). I hope you get the picture, though!

In summary, your song is playable, but far too long and redundant. Some patterns and pitch relevancy could use some work.

All in all, I'd give this song a 3/5 (60%): Accurate difficulty, but also repetitive and flawed.

----------------

As a first file, this was mighty brilliant. Never give up, I can't wait to see what you'll come up with!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Last edited by MarioNintendo; 08-16-2011 at 11:31 AM..
MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
XxMidigamixX
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to XxMidigamixX Send a message via Skype™ to XxMidigamixX

Here's my mini-review:

The offset should've been .227, even though its not that big of a difference, it affected the sync so I fixed that.

Feels like an old-school Sharpnel file so I give you props for that.

My biggest issue is with the vocal parts from 83.868-96.937, where you could've used a little bit of variation to it like using color-note theory or if you were to go towards an SM file maybe mine theory could've worked there. But since you're aiming it towards FFR, maybe color note would work on the vocals (but you used an SM editor, which it could be hard to detect where the vocals are exactly)

The mini-rolls that you used should have used a little bit of variation . Instead of 1234 1234 1234 4321 4321 4321; you could have it set up like this: 1234 1324 1423 4231 4132 4321. But that's not a biggie.

And I would have to ask MN about the one in 97.60, I don't see any 24ths on that section at all.

The jacks bring minor difficulty spikes but it feels right for the file.

But overall, it brings me back to 2006, which would be a perfect file for the nostalgia pack that just came out. As your first file, fantastic job on it. +. 79.4%

Just improve on some of the stuff that MN pointed out in his more detailed section and on my mini-review. But the BPM is correct and yes, get DDReam studio, it helps you out with the offset and stepping the most complex sections of the file. But, Great job for using an SM editor

Also MN, the pic that's in this post is in regard to what you said :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MN.jpg (75.7 KB, 0 views)

Old 08-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
bassCannon
Banned

lol... really?

funny how i make a THE OTHERS file and someone else just makes one right after

cool to see the differences.

the patterns are too repetitive, and because it can't be helped (the song itself is very repetitive), you should create some fun patterns (that are diverse) or just cut the song.

that's the exact review i got from many others (the others, haha get it?) and yeah..

but your file is 2747 notes, and mine is 5040 notes long so.. that makes quite a difference LOL

also, i recommend changing your BPM to 183.610
Old 08-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.

@Midi:

What I pointed out at 97.60 was not a mistake, here's a pic to show what I received as a file:

Because I sent my review yesterday to Darkbreezee, I believe he already made slight changes related to my review, thus giving you an updated file over the one I received.

Quote:
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Old 08-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
XxMidigamixX
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioNintendo View Post
@Midi:

What I pointed out at 97.60 was not a mistake, here's a pic to show what I received as a file:

Because I sent my review yesterday to Darkbreezee, I believe he already made slight changes related to my review, thus giving you an updated file over the one I received.
Ah. I guess he did. I was wondering for a sec if that was the case but thanks for clearing that up.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #13
Darkbreezee
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassCannon View Post
also, i recommend changing your BPM to 183.610
okay ... now im kinda confused, is the offset fine if i switch the BPM to 183.61? .., i kinda doubt that, but i might give it a try, but :

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMidigamixX
The offset should've been .227, even though its not that big of a difference, it affected the sync so I fixed that.
so now im rly confused .. @_@
i knew it was kinda offsync in the beginning or during the ending, cuz i wasnt able to nail the exact bpm or needed offset.

i will try to set the offset to 0.227 , hope this will work well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMidigamixX
The mini-rolls that you used should have used a little bit of variation . Instead of 1234 1234 1234 4321 4321 4321; you could have it set up like this: 1234 1324 1423 4231 4132 4321. But that's not a biggie.
The jacks bring minor difficulty spikes but it feels right for the file.
The idea with the minirolls is pretty cool, i might give it a try and decide whether i like it that way after =)
and yes i was struggling with myself whether i should use jacks there, but i felt like they have to be there ^^

and yes, u guys already got the slightly reworked version, guess if u would have seen the first one u'd gave me a 3/5 as well =)

ps: Nintendo:
I finally "heared" the missing notes u have been mentioning .., although i have to say that i needed a lot of tries to recognize them O.o

and ye i got DDReam now as well, am i able to open a sm file with ddream?
would be cool, because i guess its easier to step files with DDReam.

BIG EPIC EDIT:
THANKS A 27987913 Times XxMidigamixX , i finally got the rite offset ... <3
could u show me where u had to place the first beat ? ( by showing the ddream waves..)
that would be amazing
i rly want to learn how to work with this program

Last edited by Darkbreezee; 08-16-2011 at 01:07 PM..
Darkbreezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #14
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

ddream takes some getting used to but most people swear by it. I only use it for syncing purposes and use SM to actually chart because I personally find SM easier to navigate. But it's all preference really. But yes you can open your sm file in ddream.
Quote:
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:

Quote:
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
Old 08-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
XxMidigamixX
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbreezee View Post
could u show me where u had to place the first beat ? ( by showing the ddream waves..)
that would be amazing
i rly want to learn how to work with this program
Well...there's always guides to help you out with using DDReam (for example: Patashu's, Roar's, Ducky's, and probably a few that have made "Stepcharting for Dummies") I'll hunt the links down and post it when I have the chance.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #16
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.

You can always click on my sig to find Patashu's guide. This is the place I told you to go in order to download DDReam. The video up there is very useful and other cool functions are listed as well in the first post.

Quote:
Quote:
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Old 08-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #17
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

Carlos has a video tutorial for ddream also.

http://youtu.be/g7RtVlgj5Nc
http://youtu.be/xsStDFZZTNI
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by psychoangel691; 08-16-2011 at 03:10 PM..
Old 08-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #18
Darkbreezee
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

thanks for that guides i will take a closer look to them =)
Old 08-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #19
bassCannon
Banned

yeah, use DDReam to get your syncing on point

183.61 should make the song exactly on beat in DDReam
Old 08-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #20
TC_Halogen
Rhythm game specialist.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TC_Halogen Send a message via Skype™ to TC_Halogen

Looking at it in DDream, the most stable sync seems to be at 183.601 BPM, with an offset of -0.228 (looked at with wave filter + zoom 7).

The bass drum in this song makes it fairly easy to find using a wave filter because there's a giant spike in the waveform right at the tip. It never seems to hold on any specific number, but .601 seems to keep it steady for the longest time. There might be a ridiculously fine change somewhere in the song.
TC_Halogen is offline   Reply With Quote