Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-9-2011, 04:04 AM   #21
Crashfan3
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Crashfan3 Send a message via Skype™ to Crashfan3
Default Re: Is veganism wrong?

I can't wrap my mind around how anyone could think veganism is "wrong". That doesn't even make sense.

I could argue that it's unhealthy, but it IS possible to get your protein from non-animal sources so that's not entirely true either.

So honestly my two cents is that I'd have to support anyone who is vegetarian/vegan. It's not my personal life choice because I can't go a week without sweet, sweet bacon, but I respect those who choose to shun the power of bacon.
Old 06-9-2011, 04:43 AM   #22
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

ok, dossar, who is it that needs the respect? er, I guess since this animal is dead I'm 'disrespecting' it because I'm not using it to its full potential by eating it, because it died for me. OK, the animal is dead, you're right. The animal has no sense of needing respect and it never did. It had no say, no choice, and likely no idea. How do you know that cow on your plate didn't want to be cremated? What if on his will he wrote, "w/e you do please just don't eat me!!!" ... Disrespect, give me a break.

If you're vegan and you're doing it for spiritual/health purposes, you're already respecting everything out there. You respect everything because you stay true to your center, rather than make up excuses because you want to indulge.

And giggles, yeah. But if you see at the beginning of my post I said vegans usually choose to eat organic food. And by organic I mean organic as in no harmful chemicals (pesticides etc), GMOs, modified genetics, you know. That has nothing to do with their health benefits, rather another slightly separate matter of principle I find many health conscious vegan types have. That part was coinciding with the 'fad' term... my wording just isn't that specific.

and vro, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link~
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2011, 05:23 AM   #23
~kitty~
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Eating meat is affordable and is easier to gain access to.
~kitty~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2011, 05:26 AM   #24
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Syhto, animals in the wild don't want to be eaten but still get eaten, so I'm not sure where you're trying to get at. Although if you decide to eat it or not, that's your prerogative.

I definitely do support improved conditions of factories though. I think that vegans might have some heat because it's more expensive when you take meat out of your diet (and meat is a food group, haha).

Last edited by DossarLX ODI; 06-9-2011 at 05:29 AM..
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2011, 05:59 AM   #25
G.S.M
He is watching
FFR Veteran

I think most vegans are absolutely ridiculous.

I myself am very healthy and fit (not athlete fit) and I honestly don't see the point of this... I really don't. I eat all kinds of bad food/good food and still find that balance to stay fit and healthy... I find it pointless to go full vegan.

I do agree on not torturing animals though, which is one of the reasons people will go vegan, I assume. A quick death is best for an animal. Why should we throw away what Humans have done since the beginning of Humanity? I find it silly.

also for some reason whenever I think of PETA I think of KKK. I don't know why lol

ps I hate PETA
Old 06-9-2011, 07:46 AM   #26
supermousie
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to supermousie

I don't actually mind vegans, but those who push their ideas onto others in an attempt to 'convert' them just really ticks me off. Torturing animals is a big no-no in my book, as is animal rights activist groups. I also think living a vegan lifestyle is inconvenient, expensive, and involves lots of going walkabout in the supermarket looking for vegan products. Hell, earlier today I found some vegan shampoo and I do quote: "No CFCs, SLS, petrochemicals... Bottle derived from corn... Not tested on animals... Vegan friendly... $23.95". I could see from the amount the store stocked, they maybe sold one bottle a MONTH.

@Giggles: I'll break convention next time, ok?
@G.S.M: sig'd.
supermousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2011, 08:15 AM   #27
xXAll-ProXx
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

What's vaginasim?
Old 06-9-2011, 08:32 AM   #28
infinity.
sideways 8
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
The only "wrong" thing would be making those slaughtered animals go to waste. Not eating meat doesn't prevent animals from being killed - it even happens in the wild all the time.

You can eat what you want, but if you're at a restaurant and offered some meat, it would be rather disrespectful to just deny it entirely just so you can be consistent and worry about sticking with a no-meat policy. I myself don't eat that much meat; in my view, being a vegan is like saying "oh I will quit this forever and never come back to it". Well congratulations, now you constantly have to worry about it since if you do want to come back to it or there is a situation where it comes again, you'll have to consider your oath. WELP.
pre-requisite: i'm a vegetarian (leaning vegan) of 8 years.

do you know how overused this claim is? before you argue, please know what you're talking about.

animals are slaughtered for the demand of the population. if there were more members who abstained from the practice, what would happen to meat production? obviously, it would decrease.

as for other points, being a vegetarian doesn't help with weight or fitness issues, because one can still eat processed junk and blank starches as much as they want. i can testify for the loss of nutrients and vitamins, too. i have ridiculously levels of protein and iron, because my diet doesn't provide these, and the supplements i take can't fully replace the more natural sources.

there's a lot more to type. if anyone has questions, just ask.

nerds
infinity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2011, 12:00 PM   #29
~kitty~
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity. View Post
pre-requisite: i'm a vegetarian (leaning vegan) of 8 years.

do you know how overused this claim is? before you argue, please know what you're talking about.

animals are slaughtered for the demand of the population. if there were more members who abstained from the practice, what would happen to meat production? obviously, it would decrease.

as for other points, being a vegetarian doesn't help with weight or fitness issues, because one can still eat processed junk and blank starches as much as they want. i can testify for the loss of nutrients and vitamins, too. i have ridiculously levels of protein and iron, because my diet doesn't provide these, and the supplements i take can't fully replace the more natural sources.

there's a lot more to type. if anyone has questions, just ask.
Even if people were willing to stop eating meat as much, they would still have to eat a fairly large amount of it in their diet due to costs of other foods. Meat is inexpensive. If I had the choice, I would eat more fruits and I suppose more greens. However, I don't buy my food, and whenever I ask for such things, they're like $3.00 for one snack's worth when $3.00 can buy two meals of meat for a family of 4. My numbers may not be completely accurate, but they do reflect how much choice we really have in what we eat.
~kitty~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2011, 01:12 PM   #30
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
I'm not sure where you're trying to get at.
figured as much

the words are still there if you want to take another whack at it. Sometimes you have to do more than just read the words. Helps to think!! I'm just speaking from experience here and trying to perhaps lay down some thoughts that people hear less often. I don't want to do anything but make you think.

Everyone comes to these conclusions like "wrong" or "stupid" or "pointless", I'm just saying grow up. It isn't that black and white. If you cared, you'd research it and be involved, since you don't, you make haphazard judgments. No no, vegans could never have any depth, vegans are just assholes that want to criticize my meat-eating!!! Well this is NATURE bitches!!!!!

I'm pretty sure they thought harder and longer about switching to veganism than you ever did about eating what your mother puts on your plate.

people be whack
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2011, 01:23 PM   #31
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

i drink almond milk instead of regular milk. does that, like, make me part vegan or something? if so is there an option for that when filling out applications?
Old 06-9-2011, 10:40 PM   #32
supermousie
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXAll-ProXx View Post
What's vaginaism?
Remember, this is CT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syhto View Post
Sometimes you have to do more than just read the words. Helps to think!!
Everyone comes to these conclusions like "wrong" or "stupid" or "pointless", I'm just saying grow up. It isn't that black and white. If you cared, you'd research it and be involved, since you don't, you make haphazard judgments. No no, vegans could never have any depth, vegans are just assholes that want to criticize my meat-eating!!! Well this is NATURE bitches!!!!!
Calm your farm.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #33
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

I have no idea where people get the idea that eating vegan is expensive. Meat is far more expensive than meat alternatives like beans and lentils. Dairy is also hugely expensive, and the soy milk at my stores cost the same as cow milk. Pre-prepared food products, which also largely contain mean and dairy, are pretty expensive too. Seafood is also hugely expensive. I could not argue more that being vegan is cheaper than eating 'regularly'. If you never cook for yourself, being vegan would be more expensive than not, but that is the only way it would be so.

I will concede that it can be a pain in the ass though, reading labels and stuff. But, there is a learning curve to this too. You're going to start buying those products you know you like that are vegan, and you will know pretty quickly what animal by-products name's are called. You will also find that many products you already like and enjoy, are already vegan. Things like Oreo's are vegan and delicious, yet I wonder how many people would avoid them if they advertised that they are vegan? If you were to switch to veganism, after a couple months, it would not be the huge pain that it was at the start.

It is easy to get complete protein from a vegan diet. While individual things like vegetables and grains often aren't complete in the variety of protein they offer, you will not have a problem as long as you don't, say, eat only rice or something. The pure amount of protein to stay healthy is hugely over-rated. And the only nutrient that all vegans need to take is B12. Besides which, most people are advised to take a multi-vitamin everyday, vegan or not.

Being vegan and having someone talk about it and ask you why you eat meat, is not the same as lording it over you. To try and convince you to be vegan is NOT the same thing as having someone tell you to not be gay, not in the least.

Having sex with someone of your sex directly hurts no one.
Eating meat hurts animals.
End of argument.

The fact that people once used to survive largely on meat is irrelevant to any logical discussion of veganism (as are those people who are vegan because the bible tells them so...yes, those people exist.) Most farmed animals are raised in appalling conditions. Most people would not choose to work in this industry, but because it is easy to ignore what is essentially animal torture, most people eat meat. This is why groups like PETA are still around. Funny thing is, is that meat is only inexpensive because of the inhumane practices to raising it.

To eat meat is only easy because that's the societal norm. It would be just as easy for people to not eat meat if the norm were for meat to not be eaten, for supermarkets to have pre-prepared vegan foods that taste good.

I am not vegan, but I will only eat meat from the local farmer's market from people who advertise decent living conditions for their animals. I eat beef and drink milk and eat non-battery eggs and so far eat all seafood. I occasionally will eat other meat products because I like meat and because when my bf is eating his stupid pogo, I want a bite.

It is better to try and fail at veganism or vegetarianism than to not bother because you know you will fail at some point. Again, the more people who become vegan, the easier it will be to be vegan.

There is absolutely no reason that veganism or vegetarianism is wrong. Personally, ethically, it is clearly more ethical to not factory farm animals. Environmentally, to not farm any animals is by far the best choice for humanity.

Last edited by Cavernio; 06-10-2011 at 11:48 AM..
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #34
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Veganism is fine as long as u can have bacon with it.
ELRayford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #35
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vro View Post
Alright, I'm just going to give my honest opinion about this. I believe vegans are just huge attention whores. If you're vegetarian, thats fine, as those people usually only do that for health reasons, but the whole vegan thing is ridiculous. I understand having a love for animals(I think they're adorable), but there's nothing wrong with eating them. Sure, you shouldn't abuse them, but its just a cycle of life to eat them. There are plenty of animals in the animal kingdom who eat other animals, so what's the difference between them and us? After all, we are mammals. Looking past that, as already mentioned, it is extremely hard to be a healthy vegan; you practically have to be rich to get what you need in your body. If you are vegan, fine, I'm not going to hate you or anything, but I do find veganism to be extremely stupid.
You concede that you love animals, and you shouldn't abuse them, but then you say that veganism is stupid. Just because it is part of most human's life cycles to eat meat, does not mean it has to be. Your argument for thinking vegetarianism is stupid is analogous to saying something like, "Well, lots of people in Africa commit genocide, therefore its perfectly fine for me to commit murder in the US."

If you really think its wrong to abuse animals too, you should by no means be eating most meats. Seriously, pigs in factory farms die from the noxious fumes of their own shit. Egg-laying chickens barely live a year before they loose all their feathers from being jammed so badly into cages that they can't even turn around. And all that so that your egg can cost you 25 cents instead of 80 cents.

Humans do not need meat to stay healthy, and the fact that we do or the fact that we evolved eating it are by no means proof that we do.

And you can't get mad at me for preaching here, as if I'm shoving this down your throat. I didn't make the thread.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #36
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

**** I miss bacon
Old 06-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #37
G.S.M
He is watching
FFR Veteran

I eat pigs raw. Delicious! I just gnaw on the bones after I'm done. mmmmmmmm good.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #38
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
**** I miss bacon
http://www.food.com/recipe/vegan-bacon-148899

Don't let veganism stop you from enjoying bacon! MMMMM TOFU.
ELRayford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #39
ffraxis
FFR Player

veganism is not right considering that it is a personal life style choice; it becomes wrong in the eyes of people who cannot handle conflicting perspectives, and when people try to force veganism.

really subjective.
ffraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #40
supermousie
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
If you really think its wrong to abuse animals too, you should by no means be eating most meats. Seriously, pigs in factory farms die from the noxious fumes of their own shit. Egg-laying chickens barely live a year before they loose all their feathers from being jammed so badly into cages that they can't even turn around.
Those are probably the more extreme examples of animal cruelty...

Quote:
Humans do not need meat to stay healthy, and the fact that we do or the fact that we evolved eating it are by no means proof that we do.
Err, yes we do, especially if "Sweet, sweet bacon" is involved. Without meat we'd still be in the trees, and there'd be no such thing as tofu, let alone a modern society.
Quote:
...as if I'm shoving this down your throat. I didn't make the thread.
That's what he said, and creating this thread wasn't for opportunistic people to 'preach' about vegan/vegetarianism, but more for discussing the factors of veganism.

The points you raised are (mostly) good, as to why vegans would do what they do, but personally, I think the pros outweigh the cons being an omnivore.

My God, what have I done? Veganism can be so wrong yet be so correct on SO MANY GODDAMN LEVELS!

@ElRayford: That tofu bacon looks f***ing dirty xD