Old 07-2-2008, 02:23 PM   #81
RubiedCross
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to RubiedCross
Default Re: Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midday}xX View Post
Yeah, somewhere earlier, I said that all of our knowledge is based off our perception. Light entering our eyes is sight, which is perception. Moreover, spacial motion is also percepted through light, hence if time is so illusional, so is space.

Mass can't move at the speed of light anyhow. Photons are massless.
Yeah, I just made the big long thing just for the sake of doing so, as it's something I found interesting a while back. Some people here were talking about it, but I think it was you again that said that photons are massless, and nothing else can move at the speed of light, haha. It was basically just theory, and a little bit proof of what you said about perfecption.
RubiedCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-7-2008, 08:46 AM   #82
monkeybomb45
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to monkeybomb45 Send a message via AIM to monkeybomb45 Send a message via MSN to monkeybomb45 Send a message via Yahoo to monkeybomb45 Send a message via Skype™ to monkeybomb45

There are four dimensions in the universe, the human mind is very familiar with the first three dimensions (2-D, 3-D, length, width, height, depth, whatever you want to call it). Time, however, is the fourth dimension. It's a difficult concept to grasp for some people but I read something that made it really simple. All four dimensions describe matter's position; the first three describe WHERE it is and the fourth describes WHEN it is. e.g. "Meet me at the train station" tells where. "Meet me at 4:00" tells when. "Meet me at the train station at 4:00 in the afternoon" is a scenario that contains all four dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owmyheadisonfire View Post
The rivers of blood flow and no one has a sword.

¿?

monkeybomb45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-7-2008, 09:56 AM   #83
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Location: My own world. Miserable. Disgusting. Appalling. Pessimistic. Horrific. Terrible.
Send a message via AIM to Xx{Midday}xX Send a message via MSN to Xx{Midday}xX

*11 dimensions, says modern theory.
The only ones we can manage to percept are the first 4.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
Xx{Midday}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-8-2008, 10:41 PM   #84
monkeybomb45
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to monkeybomb45 Send a message via AIM to monkeybomb45 Send a message via MSN to monkeybomb45 Send a message via Yahoo to monkeybomb45 Send a message via Skype™ to monkeybomb45

Quote:
*11 dimensions, says modern theory.
oh? I love learning new things!
But if we can only manage to percept four, why are there just randomly 11? Because obviously whoever theorized that were humans also and therefore can't percept anything more than the four. They could have just been sitting around having biscuits and tea and one of them was like, "Hey Bernard, what's your favorite number?" and Bernard says, "I dunno...11?" and then the first one is like, "Okay, there are now 11 dimentions in the universe, and if anyone questions us, just tell them that the human mind isn't capable of comprehending all of them. This is going to make us rich!!" I say there should be data or some sort of proof or even conflicting aspects of the physical world that force another dimention to exist in theory. Maybe there are, anyone care to share if so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by owmyheadisonfire View Post
The rivers of blood flow and no one has a sword.

¿?

Last edited by monkeybomb45; 07-8-2008 at 10:46 PM..
monkeybomb45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-8-2008, 11:48 PM   #85
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Location: My own world. Miserable. Disgusting. Appalling. Pessimistic. Horrific. Terrible.

String theory.

I'm not smart enough to explain the logistics of it.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
Old 07-9-2008, 10:58 PM   #86
yk13
FFR Player

Just to let you guys know, string theory doesn't explicitly state all of a sudden that there are eleven dimensions. The amount of dimensions required in string theory is variable, and the number of dimensions that work best currently are eleven, apparently.
yk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:57 AM   #87
darkness1477
FFR Player

what are the other 7 deminsions and how do they affect us?
darkness1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #88
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

If you're extremely desperate, go buy The Elegant Universe, by Brian Greene, and the Fabric of Cosmos, by Brian Greene.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
Old 07-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #89
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

M theory is 11 dimensional because it minimizes anomaly in the mathematics of the theory, in particular with regards to flat space solutions. One of the easiest ways to grasp this is to think of the photon. Photons have to be massless, only carrying energy, which is caused by string fluctuations on the smallest quantum level, according to string theory. Basically, the photon only ends up being massless with respect to a certain number of dimensions for which the string can fluctuate within. These dimensions are degrees of freedom for the string, accessed on a quantum level we are unable to perceive. However, these extra dimensions relate to space-time in a very mysterious way that is incredibly hard to wrap your head around, since space-time itself can be described as being flat, confirmed by WMAP observations.

A fairly simple way to consider how this is possible is to think of us as only a subset of the universe itself. In particular, we exist on a flat membrane of 3+1 dimensions, which is a subspace of the 11 (+?) dimensional universe. Strings themselves may access these extra dimensions by leaking into their highly compacted forms, only accessible on the quantum level.

Last edited by Reach; 07-13-2008 at 08:56 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #90
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Oh I see...

so all energy forms have some sort of mass on a different dimension?

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
Old 07-14-2008, 01:36 AM   #91
danthemano
FFR Player

Quote:
Oh I see...

so all energy forms have some sort of mass on a different dimension?
how do we know that there ARE other dimensions?
or does nobody have the time to explain to a simpleton like me?
danthemano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:54 AM   #92
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthemano View Post
how do we know that there ARE other dimensions?
or does nobody have the time to explain to a simpleton like me?
Like this wasn't mentioned enough times by me already.

We can't "know" in the sense of perception. As Reach stated, it's imperceptable by human sensory organs. Hence, we are forced to rely on "knowing" in the sense of logic. These dimensions, including time, exist to benefit "our" interpretation of the universe. Without the dimension of time, all force equations would not work out. Hence, we believe the existence of time. Same with the other dimensions, though they would fill in holes in various other equations and knowledge.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
Old 07-14-2008, 06:44 AM   #93
danthemano
FFR Player

Quote:
We can't "know" in the sense of perception. As Reach stated, it's imperceptable by human sensory organs.
even though our sensory organs cannot sense time, they can still feel the effects of time. eyes get worse as time goes on, and such.

saying we are forced to rely on logic because our human senses are not capable of detecting other dimensions works. but even though that bit of logic may fill in countless holes, whos to say that its right?

maybe our modern society is the first froup to solve the first part of the problem, and now we need to go back to the beginning and find if our answer is like a non-permissible-value in a highschool mathematics question. and if our solution turns out to be an npv? then all must start again from the very beginning.
danthemano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:46 AM   #94
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthemano View Post
even though our sensory organs cannot sense time, they can still feel the effects of time. eyes get worse as time goes on, and such.

saying we are forced to rely on logic because our human senses are not capable of detecting other dimensions works. but even though that bit of logic may fill in countless holes, whos to say that its right?

maybe our modern society is the first froup to solve the first part of the problem, and now we need to go back to the beginning and find if our answer is like a non-permissible-value in a highschool mathematics question. and if our solution turns out to be an npv? then all must start again from the very beginning.
We, as a group of humans, must progress. We can only progress by choosing something arbitrary. It's not like there are infinite possibilities out there. This one makes sense. So we stick with it. If it's wrong, then yes, we just redo the process. That is science, and the basics of experimentation.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)