Literature Collaboration

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ToxicShadow
    FFR Player
    • Jun 2003
    • 107

    #31
    Re: Literature Collaboration

    Yeah, it'd be nice if Mal would even just dip his head in.

    Anyway, my next question is how we should do this. Should we do one story and take turns writing? Or should we each do our own story? Or should we do something completely different?

    Of those two, I think it'd be better if we each did our own story and potentially have links to other stories in them. From my experience, collabs where you take turns aren't any fun because whoever's first establishes everyone's character and the basic plot, and after that it's just plot advancement. The only one required to put any real thought in is Writer #1.

    Of course, I believe there is a better possibility out there, but I can't think of it offhand.
    Last edited by ToxicShadow; 06-15-2007, 09:40 PM.

    Comment

    • chunky_cheese
      FFR Player
      • Jul 2004
      • 1736

      #32
      Re: Literature Collaboration

      I don't have much inspiration for anything of the story - type, I just like expressing myself through poetry or through meaningful writing, thought I could help out with your story but I think I'll just pass. Going to post another poem that I wrote for my girlfriend tonight...

      Comment

      • esupin
        FFR Player
        • Nov 2003
        • 1756

        #33
        Re: Literature Collaboration

        Yeah, I think doing separate stories at the same time is a good idea.

        http://www.youtube.com/esupin

        Comment

        • ToxicShadow
          FFR Player
          • Jun 2003
          • 107

          #34
          Re: Literature Collaboration

          So I'd like a unanimous vote on everything since it won't really be much of a collab if only half of us are really into it.

          Mal and Shasta, are you into the story?

          Mal, Shasta, and Chromer, what do you guys want to do as a format?

          Comment

          • Chromer
            Hookers and Blow
            • Jul 2003
            • 4981

            #35
            Re: Literature Collaboration

            Hmmmm. That's a good question. However here is where I see the only flaw in writing seperately. By writing all on our own instead of taking turns, we would have to dig deep and in some way struggle to make it all connect. For example, say I wrote about how I walked North and the next person wrote about walking south. Unless the two have a similar idea of how they want it to play out then they should mee in the middle. However, what is Writer #1 decides to go east at the last moment when it should have been still north? Now Writer #2 has to stop their flow just to make it fit with a different decision from Writer #1. I sense a lot of that happening in the future.

            Comment

            • ToxicShadow
              FFR Player
              • Jun 2003
              • 107

              #36
              Re: Literature Collaboration

              Well yes, but if we all did our own thing, we would still post drafts and talk to each other to link our stories together somehow, preferably.

              But like I said... there's got to be some way we can fuse the two so that we get the best of both worlds.

              Comment

              • ShastaTwist
                FFR Veteran
                • Sep 2004
                • 599

                #37
                Re: Literature Collaboration

                Writing separate stories sounds a lot like role playing and it can get very confusing.

                Comment

                • mead1
                  Cerebellumberjack
                  FFR Simfile Author
                  • Aug 2003
                  • 3960

                  #38
                  Re: Literature Collaboration

                  I'm writing a story based on the idea right now. I won't post it until it's done, because I tend to lose interest in things I post in parts. I tend to think the best way to do something like this is to have people write totally separate stories in the same world-thing. It's always interesting to see how multiple writers have their characters deal with the same problem.

                  Comment

                  • mead1
                    Cerebellumberjack
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    • Aug 2003
                    • 3960

                    #39
                    Re: Literature Collaboration

                    Additionally, another good way to diversify in an idea relating to a crisis changing the world is to do different time periods. My current work takes place in the days immediately following the shift. Someone else could write a story about what life is like a few years later, once humans have adapted to the constant flight.

                    Comment

                    • MalReynolds
                      CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
                      • Sep 2003
                      • 6571

                      #40
                      Re: Literature Collaboration

                      Well, the particular reason I didn't say anything (yes, I have been following the thread) is because the archetypal group of peeps (from Chromer's idea) are very, very restrictive. There are a bunch of rules to follow and a plotline that could only lead to the most basic of Vs. scenarios, which, while fun, I dunno, just doesn't really do anything for me.

                      However, however, the idea of taking a concept and each of us writing different stories about what goes on inside said world (instead of creating a contiguous timeline and linear story) would be nifty. We could all come up with a history for a place that we create, and then just write a short story that takes place within the confines of our own created universe.

                      And it doesn't have to be in the first person, because that would make it just seem like role playing.

                      But, uh.

                      Yeah.
                      "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

                      "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor


                      My new novel:

                      Maledictions: The Offering.

                      Now in Paperback!

                      Comment

                      • Chromer
                        Hookers and Blow
                        • Jul 2003
                        • 4981

                        #41
                        Re: Literature Collaboration

                        Well any ideas sprouting Mal? I know you always have something up your sleeve for Lit.

                        Comment

                        • ToxicShadow
                          FFR Player
                          • Jun 2003
                          • 107

                          #42
                          Re: Literature Collaboration

                          If you ask me, if we all got together and had a discussion on FFRChat or AIM, we'd get things figured out pretty fast.

                          Comment

                          • Chromer
                            Hookers and Blow
                            • Jul 2003
                            • 4981

                            #43
                            Re: Literature Collaboration

                            That would seem like the logical thing to do. Also, is that you Tokzic!? O_o

                            Comment

                            • MalReynolds
                              CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
                              • Sep 2003
                              • 6571

                              #44
                              Re: Literature Collaboration

                              Dystopian future - Big fan of those.

                              Corrupt leader - stereotypical, but oh well.

                              Military conflicts with outlying lands - Which are pervasive and seemingly secondary in technology to the main land, let's call it Addervale for now or something.

                              Slave's being brought in from Addervale plains.

                              Theives factions, red factions, blue factions, etc. operating within the Addervale City and within the plains that surround

                              And then throw in some mythology. You could make a thousand different characters, each doing their own thing. The main problem I had with the original idea was that it would pigeonhole the characters into doing specific 'missions' that suited their strengths while not lending a lot of pliability into the overall arch.

                              Anyways, that's just an idea off the top of my head. Nothing specific, and it's actually quite lame, but accomodating to various people and their styles of writing.
                              "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

                              "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor


                              My new novel:

                              Maledictions: The Offering.

                              Now in Paperback!

                              Comment

                              • esupin
                                FFR Player
                                • Nov 2003
                                • 1756

                                #45
                                Re: Literature Collaboration

                                But the planet's still slowly moving, right? So could we have Addervale or whatever be mobile so it always stays in the sun. It could be a huge floating or something. Whatever.

                                This way, there could be people who have never seen Addervale because they were never at the right place at the right time.

                                Let's see... if we all want to get together on AIM or FFRchat, I'm up for that. The earliest I would be able to do it would be Thursday after 4 (but that's probably too soon for everyone to see) or Friday any time before 6:30 PM EST... then I'm working 11-8 Saturday and Sunday... eh.

                                http://www.youtube.com/esupin

                                Comment

                                Working...