DAW

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dietsnapple135
    FFR Player
    • Mar 2006
    • 259

    #46
    Re: DAW

    Can't believe I'm the only vote for Cubase. I use Cubase/FL, FL is much easier to swing through for me, but if there's something I can't seem to get done with Fruity, I can in Cubase. That DAW can do anything.
    Best FC- Planet Karma.
    Best AAA- {Midnight}
    Best BF - Balloon Fever.

    First place in Intermediate division of Zap_Track and Spammy's 1st Tourney. ^_^
    I'M A MOD YO

    Comment

    • jakeyjake7
      FFR Player
      • Jul 2006
      • 343

      #47
      Re: DAW

      Renoise 2.7 beta is out now! HNNNNNNNNNNNGGGG.

      Originally posted by tuv
      I enjoy eating my beard

      Comment

      • 3lijah
        This ma coo coo face
        • Apr 2007
        • 896

        #48
        Re: DAW

        ...does anyone even use an actual instrument on this site? Jesus...
        BEST AAAs: Fluttershy (Monster Mix), S.E.B. in B.E.D., EHHS, Dreadnought [Heavy], .357 Magnum, Destination of the Heart, Oops, Boot, Puzzle, Colorful Course,
        BLACKFLAGS: Spaceman, A FLOWER GARDEN, Paraclete, Just Why, Pussy Pump, Future Destination
        BEST SDGs: Casino fire Kotomi-chan(7-0-0-1), Shitsubou Choco(7-0-0-0) Adventures of Lolo(7-0-0-3), Louder!! Louder!!!! Louder!!!!!!(3-0-0-1), Great Battleship(3-0-0-0), Shatterscape (Bexarametric Remix)(5-0-0-1)

        Comment

        • AsphyxZero
          Banned
          • Oct 2010
          • 1823

          #49
          Re: DAW

          Define actual instrument. I have an analog synth that I mess around with, gonna get a cable and make some patches and shit. B)

          Comment

          • jakeyjake7
            FFR Player
            • Jul 2006
            • 343

            #50
            Re: DAW

            Originally posted by 3lijah
            ...does anyone even use an actual instrument on this site? Jesus...

            Uh, this is a thread about DAWs. A traditional instrument is NOT a DAW.
            I'm a moderately experienced piano player (as in I can play Chopin's Nocturne in C# Min.), but I usually keep that separate from my electronic music.
            Originally posted by tuv
            I enjoy eating my beard

            Comment

            • midnghtraver
              Icarus Moth
              FFR Music Producer
              • Jan 2006
              • 2064

              #51
              Re: DAW

              Originally posted by jakeyjake7
              Uh, this is a thread about DAWs. A traditional instrument is NOT a DAW.
              I'm a moderately experienced piano player (as in I can play Chopin's Nocturne in C# Min.), but I usually keep that separate from my electronic music.
              Me too.

              I also play guitar and can play drums if I have any in front of me, but I consider my skill with DAW's and VST's two different thing. They benefit from each-other. But you can't say i'm not a real musician because I make my sounds turning knobs. I'm tired of that argument. And especially don't have it in this thread.

              Comment

              • PlayTrumpet
                Lamingtons.
                • May 2007
                • 590

                #52
                Re: DAW

                Hmm. Interesting thing about DAWs and VST. I wanna know what would be the best program if I wanted to write classical music/wind band/film score and that whole genre, with very good quality intrument sounds (probably expensive plugins) - and I want to be able to use a piano roll-type input, MIDI, etc.
                HIGH-FIVING A MILLION ANGELS!
                sigpic

                Comment

                • midnghtraver
                  Icarus Moth
                  FFR Music Producer
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 2064

                  #53
                  Re: DAW

                  Originally posted by PlayTrumpet
                  Hmm. Interesting thing about DAWs and VST. I wanna know what would be the best program if I wanted to write classical music/wind band/film score and that whole genre, with very good quality intrument sounds (probably expensive plugins) - and I want to be able to use a piano roll-type input, MIDI, etc.
                  Fl Studio + NI's Kontakt 4 W/ Piano, Cinematic, and Orchestral Plug-ins.

                  FL Studio because it now has the option to export to musical notation sheet. (Will have to edit things like sharps and flats it got wrong of course), but also because it has an amazing piano roll view. I haven't found anything I like better, and viewing ability is very important when you doing a lot with a piano roll.

                  Kontakt 4 because it has very clear and professional sounding classical pianos, cinematic instruments, and amazing orchestra instruments that are tweakable within Kontakt.

                  Its kinda expensive though. You could also buy Komplete 7, which comes with all that, a lot of pianos, and 23 other Vst's and effects from Native Instruments for a hugely discounted cost, (you save 2000 something dollars).

                  FL Studio Homepage: http://flstudio.image-line.com/ ($199 or $299, depending on how many native VST's/Effects you want)

                  Native Instruments Homepage: http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/

                  Kontakt 4: http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...cer/kontakt-4/ ($400)

                  Komplete 7 (what I have): http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...er/komplete-7/ $660 (You save $2687) (comes with $60's In "NI Bucks")

                  If you need a cheaper alternative. Get a DAW that has a piano roll, a pattern view, and a soundfont player (or you can download one for free) and get classical piano soundfonts, violin soundfonts, and anything else you want. A great place for free soundfonts is HammerSound.

                  Hammer Sound Homepage: http://www.hammersound.net/ (I suggest Pianissimum on the last page under "pianos")
                  Last edited by midnghtraver; 05-4-2011, 08:35 AM.

                  Comment

                  • PlayTrumpet
                    Lamingtons.
                    • May 2007
                    • 590

                    #54
                    Re: DAW

                    ^

                    Thanks for the response. ^_^ I'm in the process of trying lots of different things. Right now I am finding lots of good sounds which I'm hoping I can combine well in a DAW. I'm also looking into buying a good, 88 key midi keyboard and synthesizer since (besides piano rolls) I compose best while playing.
                    HIGH-FIVING A MILLION ANGELS!
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • kid_merkury
                      I make good music
                      • Jan 2008
                      • 478

                      #55
                      Re: DAW

                      Originally posted by PlayTrumpet
                      Hmm. Interesting thing about DAWs and VST. I wanna know what would be the best program if I wanted to write classical music/wind band/film score and that whole genre, with very good quality intrument sounds (probably expensive plugins) - and I want to be able to use a piano roll-type input, MIDI, etc.
                      You're in luck! I just graduated berklee with a dual degree in Film Scoring and Contemporary Writing/Production

                      Your DAW of choice should be something you feel comfortable with. Each DAW has its strengths and weaknesses when it comes to Film scoring/notation - with the exception of Reason...which has only weaknesses hehehe

                      But on a serious note, there's no doubt that your sample library could potentially be the deciding factor for what work you get in the industry. For the best orchestral sounds, you're looking at companies such as EastWest, Project SAM, Tonehammer, Vienna Instruments to name a few. For more contemporary instrument sounds, Native Instruments offers a s***-ton of different sample packs you can purchase and download all for use in Kontakt or Kontakt player - which imo is one of the best sample players out there. To completely build your library with the instruments that would get you industry standard sounds and prepare you with any kind of work you may be asked to do, you'll be spending a really large amount of money - not all at once, but eventually. (PS, buying samples is like buying crack. you'll never be satisfied with just one pack)

                      For notation, I've been using Finale since around 2001 and have no problems with it. Everyone else who hates Finale, uses Sibelius (which I hate). They both do the same thing - people say Finale is harder, but that's because they typically don't take the time to figure things out in it - either way, notation is notation, so choosing what software you notate with is up to you.

                      Berklee teaches film scoring by using "Digital Performer" which is one of the DAW's i hate the most. It's extremely powerful, and allows you to do a ton, but I just hate using it. It has a ton of useful tools for film scoring, such as the abilities to create punches and streamers (not gonna explain what those are if you dont know), as well as really good sequence/chunk management. For stuff that I score not related to school though, I use Logic - simply because I just like it better.

                      Message me for more info on that stuff, and I'll be happy to answer - here's a clip of a rescore I did for one of my projects, done a few months ago (in Logic)

                      Last edited by kid_merkury; 05-23-2011, 11:53 AM. Reason: derp
                      -Merk



                      PSN: kid_merkury

                      Comment

                      • PlayTrumpet
                        Lamingtons.
                        • May 2007
                        • 590

                        #56
                        Re: DAW

                        Thanks for the info, merkury. ^_^ I've definitely been finding that it'll take time to gather the right sounds and instruments to build a strong library, not to mention money both for the sounds and the programs needed to work with them - but I absolutely value your advice. I actually feel very pleased and fortunate to know that you're coming from Berklee with a degree from such a new and exciting program and that you're part of THIS community as well.

                        Again, thank you very much for the wisdom.
                        HIGH-FIVING A MILLION ANGELS!
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • DjMeas
                          FFR Player
                          • Sep 2011
                          • 164

                          #57
                          Re: DAW

                          Originally posted by jakeyjake7
                          Renoise 2.7 beta is out now! HNNNNNNNNNNNGGGG.

                          I'm totally in love with 2.7! I can't stop watching automation scroll when playing a song now lol!
                          http://soundcloud.com/undercoverapplemusic/leaflette-across-the-ocean-ep
                          [ Across the Ocean EP now availabe on iTunes/Amazon/Bandcamp! ]

                          Comment

                          • PrawnSkunk
                            Administrator
                            FFR Simfile Author
                            FFR Administrator
                            • Dec 2007
                            • 3907

                            #58
                            Re: DAW

                            I use Renoise as well!

                            omfgxxx I want this new version so hard!

                            Comment

                            • Choofers
                              FFR Player
                              FFR Music Producer
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 6205

                              #59
                              Re: DAW

                              Bit of a bump, but I recently got Linux and now I'm looking at a tracker called Sunvox. Anyone know much about it? I haven't touched it as of this post lol.

                              Comment

                              • justin_ator
                                🥓<strong><span style="col
                                • Mar 2007
                                • 7648

                                #60
                                Re: DAW

                                Bump cause my dad wanted to get me some software and he's cheap, anyone know which would be better out of ACID Music Studio 8 and Music Maker MX/Samplitude Music Studio MX?

                                Comment

                                Working...