($10,000 prize) nVidia NVArt 06: Moving Innovation

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • darkshark
    Nothing.
    • Nov 2004
    • 4189

    #31
    Re: ($10,000 prize) nVidia NVArt 06: Moving Innovation

    I'm going to assume that not a ton of new groundbreaking technology is going to be invented in the next 10 years for computing markets, things are just being refined at this point.

    Things to absolutely consider:

    glassless 3D screen technology
    transparent OLEDs
    augmented reality
    interconnectivity between devices
    brainwave recognition

    Also, on Spenner's remark, I know there's a ton of amazing artists on cgsociety, probably the best on the planet, but I can certainly hold my own against them in this particular region of 3d artistry.

    @Rubix, you fkking lucky bastard, huge fan of Michio Kaku.
    Last edited by darkshark; 05-9-2011, 10:58 PM.

    Comment

    • darkshark
      Nothing.
      • Nov 2004
      • 4189

      #32
      Re: ($10,000 prize) nVidia NVArt 06: Moving Innovation

      Concept:

      Comment

      • PrawnSkunk
        Administrator
        FFR Simfile Author
        FFR Administrator
        • Dec 2007
        • 3907

        #33
        Re: ($10,000 prize) nVidia NVArt 06: Moving Innovation

        transparent glass rubiks cube which can digitally import customizable skins off a computer via usb. projects images onto each face/cell of the cube to represent stickers on a normal rubiks cube. projected image is tracked and moves and rotates in realtime as you solve/scramble the puzzle.

        here's a pic I found on google images, because I don't have the artistic talent to draw it myself:


        doesn't have to stay strictly with 6-sided cubes, can go with funky 13-sided polygons, or more, to give it a more futuristic feel..

        i've put zero mother design aspects thought into this (like folding down into something that can fit into a pocket), 'cause i dunno' if this is anywhere close to what your looking for. :\
        Last edited by PrawnSkunk; 05-9-2011, 11:58 PM.

        Comment

        • Mythix
          FFR Veteran
          • Oct 2006
          • 1045

          #34
          Re: ($10,000 prize) nVidia NVArt 06: Moving Innovation

          But will it ****ing run Crysis?


          About that, my idea will be a cheap graphic card that can run Crysis. They should be able to invent that within a decade.

          kthx tell them to send the 10k to me in Norway
          Last edited by Mythix; 05-10-2011, 12:03 AM.

          Comment

          • darkshark
            Nothing.
            • Nov 2004
            • 4189

            #35
            Re: ($10,000 prize) nVidia NVArt 06: Moving Innovation

            @Prawn: Seems like you could ditch the glass and turn to OLED's instead of projection. This is certainly not the right type of toy to be using projectors in. Your idea is plausible though.

            Comment

            • who_cares973
              FFR Player
              • Aug 2006
              • 15407

              #36
              Re: ($10,000 prize) nVidia NVArt 06: Moving Innovation

              Originally posted by midnghtraver
              link
              It's not exactly difficult to put into words what the Kyocera Echo is -- it's a dual-screened Android phone, after all -- but it's a wee bit more challenging to wrap your head around who exactly it's for. The hardcore gaming contingent already has Sony Ericsson's Xperia Play, and those obsessed with screen real estate have options spanning the gamut -- everything from Dell's 5-inch Streak to a veritable cornucopia of choices in the 4- to 4.3-inch range. So, where exactly does this oddball fit in? Quite frankly, we get the impression that it's doing its darnedest to carve out a market of its own, a thought that's reinforced by Kyocera's dedicated app development space and two-faced Simul-Task mode. Early critics (read: us) railed on the fact that double the screens meant double the trouble in terms of battery life, and there's no question that a second cell was included with our test unit. But are the advantages of having a second 3.5-inch WVGA touchpanel enough to overshadow the obvious pitfalls? Join us as we do a little soul-searching in our full review, hosted up just past the break. %Gallery-120864%


              aside from the crappy battery and screens its a pretty dope phone according to the review



              also hatin on rubix for attending a michio kaku lecture

              Comment

              • Reincarnate
                x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
                • Nov 2010
                • 6332

                #37
                Re: ($10,000 prize) nVidia NVArt 06: Moving Innovation

                Originally posted by darkshark

                glassless 3D screen technology
                transparent OLEDs
                augmented reality
                interconnectivity between devices
                brainwave recognition
                Yep, all of these were mentioned too and the technology for all of this already exists -- it's just a matter of integrating/refining them at this point. IMO worth banking on these things for the upcoming decade.

                There is even the possibility of integrating the internet into your contact lenses -- where you could surf the net right there on your retinas, lol. The idea is that as chips and transistors become even smaller and smaller, you can pretty much computerize damn-near anything: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-_2008.svg.png



                http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/05/...azines_fortune

                So when I look at the future, I see a lot of potential for integration between contacts/glasses and being able to surf the net through thought alone (we used to argue that touch-screens were not able to be precise enough to handle human input and yet here we are. Same goes for thought-control. There are error rates now that are becoming squeezed out). This also lets you employ augmented reality applications.

                The lecture I attended last night was fueled by the collective interviews of over 300 top scientists in their respective fields, and so I think Kaku's lecture provides a ton of insight as to what we can currently accomplish (including invisibility, BTW) and how it'll become more mainstream in the future.

                So if I were to focus on this nVidia competition as to how the future will let us creatively change the way we carry out our everyday lives, I'd move along these sorts of trends (which is why I think the wallet is a cool idea). However, I think to win the grand prize you may need something with a bit more wow-factor. Glasses/contact lenses are obvious examples but I think it'd be cool to try to think of other ways to employ the technology.
                Last edited by Reincarnate; 05-10-2011, 07:34 AM.

                Comment

                • Reincarnate
                  x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
                  • Nov 2010
                  • 6332

                  #38
                  Re: ($10,000 prize) nVidia NVArt 06: Moving Innovation

                  One basic idea building from the easy lenses/glasses idea (let me know if you need pics for any of these and I'll MS-Paint something):

                  GPS in your lenses/glasses w/augmented reality overlays. No need to walk around while looking at a phone when you can see subway lines and arrows and directions telling you where to go as you walk. This would be really useful for me here in NYC, especially -- I could just look around and physically see huge red/green/blue line overlays that let me know where to go. I might also be able to see virtual train markers moving in real time so I can not only see where to go, but whether or not I need to get my ass in gear to make the next train even if I am above ground.

                  What would also make this GPS nice is that if it's able to recognize your surroundings (such as identifying street-lines and corners), it can better help the GPS+compass determine your location.

                  Comment

                  • iironiic
                    D6 FFR Legacy Player
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 4342

                    #39
                    Re: ($10,000 prize) nVidia NVArt 06: Moving Innovation

                    Originally posted by PrawnSkunk
                    transparent glass rubiks cube which can digitally import customizable skins off a computer via usb. projects images onto each face/cell of the cube to represent stickers on a normal rubiks cube. projected image is tracked and moves and rotates in realtime as you solve/scramble the puzzle.

                    here's a pic I found on google images, because I don't have the artistic talent to draw it myself:


                    doesn't have to stay strictly with 6-sided cubes, can go with funky 13-sided polygons, or more, to give it a more futuristic feel..

                    i've put zero mother design aspects thought into this (like folding down into something that can fit into a pocket), 'cause i dunno' if this is anywhere close to what your looking for. :\
                    I actually tried a six-sided Rubik's Cube with pictures on the side, and attempted to solve it. The result: the center isn't positioned correctly. How will you go about that in your model if that's the case? Unless there is an algorithm to rotate the center piece...

                    Comment

                    • Reincarnate
                      x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
                      • Nov 2010
                      • 6332

                      #40
                      Re: ($10,000 prize) nVidia NVArt 06: Moving Innovation

                      Originally posted by iironiic
                      I actually tried a six-sided Rubik's Cube with pictures on the side, and attempted to solve it. The result: the center isn't positioned right. How will you go about that in your model if that's the case? Unless there is an algorithm to rotate the center piece...
                      There is -- consider a supercube: http://cubesmith.com/Supercube.jpg

                      There are easy ways to take care of stuff like this -- not a huge deal.

                      Comment

                      • darkshark
                        Nothing.
                        • Nov 2004
                        • 4189

                        #41
                        Re: ($10,000 prize) nVidia NVArt 06: Moving Innovation

                        Tablet phone concept.









                        I think this one could be a contender, I'll refine this up and make it a working design.

                        Comment

                        • emerald000
                          the Mathemagician~
                          • Nov 2005
                          • 1320

                          #42
                          Re: ($10,000 prize) nVidia NVArt 06: Moving Innovation

                          Here's a sketch of a polycard. On the front, there are 4 screens showing the company name and logo, the card number, the expiration date and the card holder name. On the back, there is a touch screen that allows you to choose from all your credit/debit cards.

                          You can also lock the touch screen (to handle the card safely) or lock the whole card. This remove all information from the front of the card, erases the chip and magnetic band data and puts a keyboard on the touch screen. Only by entering a valid password you can unlock your polycard and use it. So even if your polycard gets stolen, they can't use it at all.



                          Important:
                          "Entries should remain unpublished outside of CGSociety prior to the close of the challenge."

                          Comment

                          • darkshark
                            Nothing.
                            • Nov 2004
                            • 4189

                            #43
                            Re: ($10,000 prize) nVidia NVArt 06: Moving Innovation

                            Is this your idea/design? If so its fantastic and ill absolutely make this.

                            Comment

                            • Spenner
                              Forum User
                              • Nov 2006
                              • 2403

                              #44
                              Re: ($10,000 prize) nVidia NVArt 06: Moving Innovation

                              I need to spend a good time trying to make some sexy looking eyes in C4D once it installs, I have a bunch of eyewear related gadgets that I know concept wise would be really cool, hopefully I can make it aesthetic enough for the post as well...

                              I'm assuming we can only submit one...? Or can we do more?

                              Another idea I'd love to make if I were better at rendering humans (ugh) is a jumpsuit looking piece that's full of wires and little beads that can heat up/cool/vibrate or lightly shock. Basically it looks like a jumpsuit with a bunch of tiny beads and a synthetic material, and the idea is that you wear these goggles that give you certain simulated visual experiences. Using motion tracking/calibrating where the beads are, if you were simulating putting your hand into a bucket of ice water, as your hand touched the water, the beads that are in the underwater position would shoot to "cool" mode, and gradually all the other beads would up to wherever your arm stops going in.

                              With that, the way the fabric is woven, it can also tighten slightly to give a feeling of tension or grip, or loosen to perhaps simulate the feeling of falling. I suppose this could be REALLY trippy if you had some psychedelic imagery and the beads all going off on random sensations lol.

                              Is that making any sense though? Maybe it's just an idea I'd like to make and not something for this contest lol. We definitely have the technology to do that kind of thing now if we wanted to.

                              ...I think the concept, while very cool and attainable, is a bit complex for this particular contest though.
                              Last edited by Spenner; 05-10-2011, 09:30 PM.

                              Comment

                              • emerald000
                                the Mathemagician~
                                • Nov 2005
                                • 1320

                                #45
                                Re: ($10,000 prize) nVidia NVArt 06: Moving Innovation

                                Originally posted by darkshark
                                Is this your idea/design? If so its fantastic and ill absolutely make this.
                                Yes, it is my idea. It popped into my head a while ago while looking for my debit card. I wondered why can't all our cards be put into the same plastic shell.

                                Also, if you do this, please put some better keyboard design on there. I didn't feel like doing one for the sketch so I went the easy way.

                                Comment

                                Working...