Re: i got an A- in math by one measely point O.O
It's 93.5 because your grading scheme is easier and more lenient than when an A is 85 
Most places calibrate the A grade cut off based on the number of students achieving the set mark...to avoid grade inflation.
Grade inflation is a huge problem anyway, though. It doesn't really help, because then teachers just become even more lenient than they already were ;p
If the SAT is useful at all, its because it's standardized. Saying 'I have such and such grades' is so uninformative nowadays because who the hell knows how lenient your teachers are or how your grade scaling works. I've had two seperate professors for english, one telling me my writing is terrible (more like unconventional...what a prick XD) and I was given Cs and an occasional B, and the other telling me I'm the top of the class giving me A's.
Man, I'm so glad I'm not taking any more english XD What a bird course that is.
Math isn't like that, but I remember one teacher took like 7% off my test once because I didn't factor one of my solutions out of the brackets (didn't like me and didn't want me to get 100). I was really angry at him, and was going to make a big deal about it...but I let it slide. The grading system is so corrupted and horribly inaccurate it's not even funny =/
Thankfully that was in highschool, and stuff like that doesn't happen as much in university...but it still happens.
ugh, you all are lucky. an A in virginia is 93.5+. if it was 85.5+ like everyone else, i could have straight A's

Most places calibrate the A grade cut off based on the number of students achieving the set mark...to avoid grade inflation.
Grade inflation is a huge problem anyway, though. It doesn't really help, because then teachers just become even more lenient than they already were ;p
If the SAT is useful at all, its because it's standardized. Saying 'I have such and such grades' is so uninformative nowadays because who the hell knows how lenient your teachers are or how your grade scaling works. I've had two seperate professors for english, one telling me my writing is terrible (more like unconventional...what a prick XD) and I was given Cs and an occasional B, and the other telling me I'm the top of the class giving me A's.
Man, I'm so glad I'm not taking any more english XD What a bird course that is.
Math isn't like that, but I remember one teacher took like 7% off my test once because I didn't factor one of my solutions out of the brackets (didn't like me and didn't want me to get 100). I was really angry at him, and was going to make a big deal about it...but I let it slide. The grading system is so corrupted and horribly inaccurate it's not even funny =/
Thankfully that was in highschool, and stuff like that doesn't happen as much in university...but it still happens.



Comment